The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Issues with Medium Armor & How To Fix It

DDuke
DDuke
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Greetings,

First of all, before anyone gets confused: this thread is about PvP - there are no issues whatsoever with medium armor competitiveness in PvE that I am aware of.

As we all know, medium armor hasn't really been on the same power level as heavy (or light) for a long time.

A lot of this has to do with the evergrowing list of skills that ignore the dodge mechanic entirely (most recently Warden, which deals almost entirely undodgeable damage). This leaves medium armor users in a space, where you lack the armor mitigation from heavy, you lack the healing received from heavy passives and you don't really get anything in return as most of the passives have to do with (increasingly useless) dodge roll cost & stamina costs rather than surviving/outhealing damage.

This is without even diving into the set meta, where heavy armor has much stronger options available that allow you to stack weapon damage much higher than any medium armor build, which simultaneously also increases the healing done by heavy armor builds (that gets further increased by Rapid Mending heavy armor passive) - all while maintaining that mitigation medium lacks.

So there isn't really much to survive on for medium armor users - and this becomes clear to anyone fighting good players in either duels or 1vX situations. Ganking is still more than viable with medium armor (even after proc set changes) if you pick your targets carefully and I applaud anyone who can enjoy doing that alone as a medium armor user. I can't, hence this post.

So, how do we fix medium armor without giving it more damage (which it doesn't need)? How do we give it an unique competitive edge that it currently lacks?

Here are some ideas, changes are in bold.

Medium Armor
  • Dexterity: Increases your Weapon Critical rating by 328 for each piece of Medium Armor equipped. Reduce Damage Taken by 10% while Roll Dodging for each piece of Medium Armor Equipped.
This fixes a lot of the balance issues caused by the addition of undodgeable skills, without making Roll Dodge overpowered for light/heavy armor users and still allows skills/DoT ticks to hit people who Roll Dodge.
  • Athletics: Increases the Movement Speed bonus of Sprint by 3% for each piece of Medium Armor equipped. Reduces the cost of Roll Dodge by 4% for each piece of Medium Armor equipped.
This gives medium armor another alternative way to deal with other players, particularly heavy armor users by encouraging kiting & making them waste resources on gap closers. This would also make the rather underwhelming bow focused builds much more viable and fun.

Alternatively, here's another idea:

Remove Major Evasion from Shuffle, make it a burst heal instead so Medium Armor has another way to survive undodgeable things (spam heals). Then:

Medium Armor
  • Dexterity: Increases your Weapon Critical rating by 328 for each piece of Medium Armor equipped. Grants you Major Evasion for 1 seconds after you use Roll Dodge. Duration is increased by 1 second for each piece of Medium Armor worn.

And another:

Add healing received during roll dodge. This could help atleast outheal some of the undodgeable attacks and make dodge roll a useful tool again. With 100% to healing received, medium armor user would get between 2-4k healing (2 Vigor ticks & 1 Rally tick) during the roll dodge animation and it'd be balanced by the stacking cost modifier as well as the requirement to have a heal over time effect on the player before dodging.

Agility
  • When 5 or more pieces of Medium Armor are equipped
  • Increases your Weapon Damage by 12%. Increases your healing received by 100% while Roll Dodging.

So, that's it for now. Let me know what you think.

Let's Make Medium Armor Great Competitive Again.
Edited by DDuke on September 21, 2017 8:50PM
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Medium sucks simply because the regen you invest in is suppressed by sprinting to re-position or trying to re-actively block.

I'd like to see zos go back and revert all these "no stamina regen if" statements and actually balance the game. Make block cost exponentially more for every blocked attack or second blocking. Make sprinting exponentially cost more and more over time. Cutting out regen is just a kick in the woohoo to regen builds and will be the sole reason movement and the feel of this game is terrible for all stamina regeneration builds (which are basically all medium builds).

Add in sprint and block cool-downs where the exponential costs that are accumulated don't expire for X seconds just like roll dodge. That way you can re-actively sprint or block with regen builds and not be so heavily punished for it since your regeneration continues to accumulate.

The current system punishes regeneration builds while maximum stat builds/alternative resource income builds can still sprint/block forever.

RE-BALANCE NO SPRINT REGEN. CHANGE IT TO EXPONENTIAL COSTS OVER DURATION.
    RE-BALANCE NO BLOCK REGEN. CHANCE IT TO EXPONENTIAL COSTS OVER DURATION AND/OR INCREASED COSTS BASED ON DAMAGE/ATTACKS BLOCKED OVER THE DURATION

ENCOURAGE SMART POSITIONING/RE-POSITIONING
    ENCOURAGE REACTIVE BLOCKING, NOT PERMA-BLOCKING

@Wrobel
    Edited by GreenSoup2HoT on July 14, 2017 10:14PM
    PS4 NA DC
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    70% damage reduction during roll dodge, Ummmm, no.
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    acw37162 wrote: »

Would you prefer the "0% damage reduction, avoid nothing and drain your own stamina" that it currently is?

If not, maybe you could elaborate on your comment?

Edit: to be more clear, in the past Roll Dodge used to avoid almost all damage (100%) and didn't have a stacking cost to it - I believe 70% would be a fair compromise especially considering no one can spam it anymore.
    Edited by DDuke on July 14, 2017 9:14PM
  • TimeDazzler
    TimeDazzler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DDuke wrote: »

Would you prefer the "0% damage reduction, avoid nothing and drain your own stamina" that it currently is?

Edit: to be more clear, in the past Roll Dodge used to avoid almost all damage (100%) and didn't have a stacking cost to it - I believe 70% would be a fair compromise especially considering no one can spam it anymore.

??? Guess you haven't seen the roly polies in Cyrodil
    PC NA
    Characters:
    Tımë Ðâzzlër - Stamina Warden - AD
    Tımë Ðâzzłër - Magicka Nightblade - AD
    Tımë Ðâzzłêr - Stamina Templar - AD
    Sugar Deady - Magicka Necromancer - AD
    Sprint v X - Stamina Sorcerer - EP
    Tımë Ðâzzlër Ðk - Stamina Dragonknight - EP
    Time Dazzler - Magicka Warden - DC
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Medium armor? Looks cool on female chars
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Great suggestions @DDuke
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cries wrote: »

It is mathematically impossible to Roll Dodge forever due to the stacking cost modifier, and if you "spam" it you eventually either run out of health or stamina - which btw is not the case with light armor shield spam or heavy armor's blocking/mitigation/self heals.

In any case, I'm not advocating for a 100% reduction to all damage - 70% would be just fine (on paper, ofc everything requires testing) and should make it possible to outheal DoTs atleast with Vigor, much like heavy armor outheals them (and everything else) while blocking. Of course, if you pressure someone they'll eventually run out of stamina if they have to keep roll dodging & vigoring.
    Edited by DDuke on July 14, 2017 9:37PM
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You cant roly poly without going full proc set and being nightblade so you can stack full regen and every few rolls cloak/shade port to wait out the cost increase.
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It is mathematically impossible to Roll Dodge forever due to the stacking cost modifier, and if you "spam" it you eventually either run out of health or stamina - which btw is not the case with light armor shield spam or heavy armor's blocking/mitigation/self heals.

In any case, I'm not advocating for a 100% reduction to all damage - 70% would be just fine (on paper, ofc everything requires testing) and should make it possible to outheal DoTs atleast with Vigor, much like heavy armor outheals them (and everything else) while blocking. Of course, if you pressure someone they'll eventually run out of stamina if they have to keep roll dodging & vigoring.

I believe a lot of stamina users are being pushed to using heavy armor because medium is so weak. Nightblades are probably the only class that can get away with it because they can use shadow image + cloak to get out and live. What can a DK do? Or a stamplar?

Dodge rolling needs to be stronger, but it also needs to be purposeful. The invincibility frames are a little too long IMO. People will stop dodge rolling, but the dodging persists.

Make dodge rolling a reliable defense, but also more intentional.
  • Kilandros
    Kilandros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The damage reduction percentage on dodge roll looks a little excessive but other than that some nice suggestions
    Invictus
    Kilandros - Dragonknight / Grand Overlord
    Deimos - Templar / Grand Warlord
    Sias - Sorcerer / Prefect
    Short answer is DKs likely won't be seeing a ton of changes before we go live; this class is still quite powerful (as it should be being a tank), even after some of the adjustments we've made to other classes and abilities.

DK IS NOT JUST A TANK CLASS. #PLAYTHEWAYYOUWANT
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kilandros wrote: »
    The damage reduction percentage on dodge roll looks a little excessive but other than that some nice suggestions

Honestly the lowest each piece should mitigate is 7%. I thought his suggestion was quite fair.
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Elaborate,

Roll dodge creates a evade "window" and does not mitigate some AoE attacks, any channel attack, and any undodgeable attacks. It currently has a stacking cost mechanic and several counter play mechanics.

I'm guessing your suggestion eliminates the counterplay of channel attacks and undodgebales for by your math 70% mitigation in seven medium to everything in a smaller window then currently exists.

I'll take the live version, thank you
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Elaborate,

Roll dodge creates a evade "window" and does not mitigate some AoE attacks, any channel attack, and any undodgeable attacks. It currently has a stacking cost mechanic and several counter play mechanics.

I'm guessing your suggestion eliminates the counterplay of channel attacks and undodgebales for by your math 70% mitigation in seven medium to everything in a smaller window then currently exists.

Fair enough.

I'm curious now: you mention channeled attacks and undodgeables (most of the abilities in game these days) as "counterplay", then what does a medium armor build have to counter that undodgeable damage? You can't dodge it, you can't mitigate and/or block & heal through it like heavy, you can't shield it like a light armor build.

Perhaps you have a better idea on how to balance medium armor and make it more viable outside ganking?
  • Murador178
    Murador178
    ✭✭✭✭

maybe make it a needs 5 piece - heavy also got 2 needing 5 piece heavy armor- giving 50% migation in roll. So getting 1hit by leap,skoria, whip when i roll smth is pretty boring- or rolling frags into soulassault.

Edit: So snb blocking also reduces inc dmg by 75% with almost no spell going through without exponential costs. Atm every class can roll decent often- heavy amber sorc/mag nb with hugeshields.

So i think the blocking/shields needs just a nerf and medium armor shouldnt give mor than 50% migation in roll - since we dont need more immortal cheese like permablockers, necro shield stackers in a 1v1 situation...
    Edited by Murador178 on July 15, 2017 12:15PM
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Honestly medium needs overall passive rework.

Passives say you should get more regen, use sprint and use stealth. You cant regen and sprint in stealth and you cant stealth and regen during sprint.
    Passives say you should dodge roll a lot, but mechanics say you cant. Making block sometimes needed secondary defense. You cant regen and sprint during blocking.
    Passives say you should stack regen and weapon damage for better gain. Reality says if you stack both equally you get barely any advantage over other armors

If I created heavy armor skill line with the same design. They would get resources every 4sec without taking damage and each hit would lower damage by fixed amount. Heavy attacks would restore more resources, but every time you attacked someone your received healing would get reduced for x seconds.

By the way. 70% reduction in dodge roll is beyond broken. 30% is probably the best you could get
    Tbh just give shuffle or elude the blade cloak reduction and remove evasion.
    Edited by SodanTok on July 15, 2017 12:24PM
  • Ragnaroek93
    Ragnaroek93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    70% might be a bit too much, but keep in mind that you can't crit blocking/shielded target as well, so lowering the dmg reduction while dodgeroll but give crit imunity could also be considered as a solution.
    I used to think that PvP was a tragedy, but now I realize, it's a comedy.
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Medium is a joke , they die a lot ,
    Better roll a pet sorc , send pet and heavy attack :)
  • Murador178
    Murador178
    ✭✭✭✭
    SodanTok wrote: »

Passives say you should get more regen, use sprint and use stealth. You cant regen and sprint in stealth and you cant stealth and regen during sprint.
    Passives say you should dodge roll a lot, but mechanics say you cant. Making block sometimes needed secondary defense. You cant regen and sprint during blocking.
    Passives say you should stack regen and weapon damage for better gain. Reality says if you stack both equally you get barely any advantage over other armors

If I created heavy armor skill line with the same design. They would get resources every 4sec without taking damage and each hit would lower damage by fixed amount. Heavy attacks would restore more resources, but every time you attacked someone your received healing would get reduced for x seconds.

By the way. 70% reduction in dodge roll is beyond broken. 30% is probably the best you could get

Than heavy armor also gets blade cloak reductions.
  • Ladislao
    Ladislao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As we all know, medium armor hasn't really been on the same power level as heavy (or light) for a long time.
    It was never so. For DDs, of course. For tanks heavy armor is still great solution but I don't think that it should be otherwise.
    Everything is viable
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    70% damage mitigation for dodge rolling - exclusively for medium armor? No.

I think you are overestimating the amount of damage dealers running around in heavy or how potent heavy armor is generally this patch. Sure with very specific sets like Rattlecage or Fury, you can attain high weapon/spell damage, but the resource management is terrible this patch and I can get heavy mitigation wearing something like wizard's riposte.

If blocking is so much stronger than dodge rolling as a defense, why do most stam solo or 1vX players not use block and instead dodge?
    Edited by Joy_Division on July 15, 2017 9:02PM
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Murador178 wrote: »
    SodanTok wrote: »

Than heavy armor also gets blade cloak reductions.

The way reduction stacking work they would get far less from it (tho I would still like if all armor sets were limited to 5 pieces)
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    70% damage mitigation for dodge rolling - exclusively for medium armor? No.

I think you are overestimating the amount of damage dealers running around in heavy or how potent heavy armor is generally this patch. Sure with very specific sets like Rattlecage or Fury, you can attain high weapon/spell damage, but the resource management is terrible this patch and I can get heavy mitigation wearing something like wizard's riposte.

If blocking is so much stronger than dodge rolling as a defense, why do most stam solo or 1vX players not use block and instead dodge?

I'm fairly sure I'm not overestimating anything - I've spent countless of hours testing various different medium armor setups in this patch. It's just inferior in every way for the reasons stated on my original post.

Sustain becomes a problem for medium armor when you aren't able to heavy attack your opponents for resources without either dying or losing a ton of health (and thus stamina trying to regain that health) and when you're on the defensive the whole time. A heavy armor user can simply mitigate damage & outheal most, if not all of it while regaining resources with Constitution.

Also just a personal observation: none of the heavy armor builds I've fought has had any problems whatsoever with sustain.

As for your question on why most stam solo or 1vX players use dodge... Could that be because they're playing gank builds with medium armor & blocking is simply not an option?

I doubt this thread would exist if I was able to block just like heavy armor user & mitigate all damage, we'd be having a different conversation about build diversity & how medium armor plays too much like heavy armor.

I also disagree with your assessment that most stam builds are dodge rollers. When I visit a duel spot, out of 20-30 people there's maybe one other player with medium armor who is similarly getting destroyed by the superior armor types.
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sign me up. I wanna roll through destro ultimates without a care in the world.
    PS4 NA DC
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Elaborate,

Rebalancing medium armor is beyond my ability and I know it mainly because I don't have access to all the data I would need nor the time to sit down with spreadsheets nor the direct vision and place for medium armor in the game.

I personally picture medium armor as high dexterity, avoiding damage through weapon parries and nimble moves.

Roll dodge is already extremely strong.

One of Medium armors major advantages is the crit it gives, which is great for PVE and meh for PVP. In this sense light armor passives far outshine medium passives by giving straight penetration.

I would personally like to see medium armor passives give minor evasion but that creates a world of problems elsewhere.

A more elegant and much more complicated solution would be anyone or combination of the following percenteages to be decided by balance;

Block cost reduction per piece is medium requiring at least 5 pieces
    Evasion percentage per pieces of armor (at least five) while blocking
    A morph of evasion that parries meleee attacks or deflects ranged attacks up to a certain amount of damage or time, in effect a stamina shield, the balance would be its only for weapon-non magica attacks and stops any outgoing attack in order to deflect or parry.

Edit; deflect/parry would also need a damage component a X bleed for 3 sec with a 3 sec cooldown per tagged target, would have to be a DOTto not be overpowered in PVP and functional in PVE

The more complicated and code intensive the solution the harder to implement and balance and least likely.

Truth is ZOS could definitely come up better and probabally will, eventually.

Edited by acw37162 on July 16, 2017 3:45AM
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Give medium a flat increase to weapon damage perhaps with 5 piece bonus? That would allow medium to focus more recovery and still have good damage output?
    PS4 NA DC
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem is it´s mathematically very possible to cloak and dodge endlessly.

It´s already hard to kill a nb who chooses to disengange after they failed trying to kill you. If they have shade it´s already not possible for most builds (except for nbs with mark).

How would you suggest that could be adressed?

I´ve at some time made the suggestion to make the stealthy passive provide 150 impen per piece of medium armor equipped (to make well fitted a more utilizeable trait - though this could be undesireable with the introduction of impregnable) aswell as provide flat weapondmg instead of a 12% incrase.

I don´t think having rolldodge provide the same dmg mitigation block does is going to help any.
    Edited by Derra on July 16, 2017 8:42AM
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »

The problem is it´s mathematically very possible to cloak and dodge endlessly.

It´s already hard to kill a nb who chooses to disengange after they failed trying to kill you. If they have shade it´s already not possible for most builds (except for nbs with mark).

How would you suggest that could be adressed?

I´ve at some time made the suggestion to make the stealthy passive provide 150 impen per piece of medium armor equipped (to make well fitted a more utilizeable trait - though this could be undesireable with the introduction of impregnable) aswell as provide flat weapondmg instead of a 12% incrase.

I don´t think having rolldodge provide the same dmg mitigation block does is going to help any.

Well, that's really more of a NB thing than medium armor - a NB in heavy armor can shadow image+cloak just as well as medium armor, if not better (as they can actually get quite a lot of magicka returns from Constitution). The difference is that they don't have to.

If not damage mitigation, how do you make roll dodge even a remotely useful defense tool against something like Warden for example, whose damage is 99% undodgeable? Their main spammable ability that hits harder than Surprise Attack goes through dodge, all their DoTs go through dodge, Shalks go through dodge (and cloak, and stun you if they're from magicka warden) - the only things you can dodge vs warden are light/heavy attacks.

It's pretty much the same vs Templars & DKs (whose damage is also for the most part unaffected by any dodge rolling). Sorcs & NBs (in that order) do still have damage you can avoid, but that's 2 out of 5 classes.
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Or or or or or... Just bloody buff medium armor resistance values by a bit. Done
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with dodge is the amount of undoggable *** that they added to the game. It was fine before things like soul-assault buff, cliff racer, stackable curses, jesus beam, heavy lighthing spam, etc.

Dodge roll is already poweful, a buff will be over the top, but when dodge is your only defense and you are being hit with a plethora of undoggeable stuff, it kills the playstyle. They need to rework that part of the combat system somehow
  • Maikon
    Maikon
    ✭✭✭✭

You must be smoking some high quality crack, I've seen nb's dodge roll 15+ times in a row and still have more then enough stam to burst someone down or sprint away.