Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

A New Race? Hmm...

• Whatelse73b14_ESO
    Whatelse73b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I think we'll see Dwarves as a playable race before we see a wolf race.....
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never going to happen, elderscrolls lore is decades old.

Yep. All the races are in previous TES games. There has never been a playable wolf race. Making up a new race and saying Zos can pretend it comes from another area of Nirn is not fragmented lore.

Further, OP provides no reasoning for adding it other than he/she wants is. The stam based race choices are sufficient as it is.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt there are any more playable races coming tho ESO, ever. Why? Lore.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Seminolegirl1992
    Seminolegirl1992
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zarkeson wrote: »
    So to start, ALOT of people love wolves. I know people(including I) would love this... a wolf race! ZOS must add this! This would rival the khajiit race(cat/dog). Sure ZOS may say "there are werewolves", but hell it's limited and they look messed up. We need handsome anthropomorphic wolves! Not a hard thing to do! Customers like us must make the push!

We the people must have this integrated into our TESO gaming experience/adventure. How awesome would it be to be a wolf. Come fellow customers. Support this proposition.

I am not a great artist so I have no pictures... But I do have some fragmented lore if this may come to life. (I do admit this thread is poorly constructed but it's merely intended for a "kickstart".

The Lykaios~ coming soon(hopefully) :hushed:

As much as I love the idea, I agree with those saying, "Lore." It would be very cool, no doubt, but never in any of the eras of this game have they existed. I say this with respect, of course. But you can't just introduce something that would destroy the lore of the game in its entirety.
    @Seminolegirl1992 PC/NA CP 2300+ PVE, PVP, RP, Housing: Tel Galen, Fair Winds, Moon Sugar, Grand Psijic, Forsaken, HOTLC, Bastion, Ravenhurst, Gardner, Alinor, Hakkvild's, Gorinir, Kragenhome, Hundings, & more- feel free to come see!
    Main PVE: Rynne, breton mag dk
    PVP: Levexa, EP nord mag dk
    Crafter: Sabaki Taiyo, khajiit templar
    RP: N'zuri, Penelope Mecoud, Vhenasi Galanodel, Alassea Rilynn'urdrenn, Taiga Soulhammer, Jhaneyl Everhath, Nym Baenre, Eilistraee, Levexa, Rynne Galanodel, Mielikki, Hanali Celanil, Arwen Galanodel, Grainne. I think I have a problem.
    Former Empress | Swashbuckler Supreme | Godslayer | Gryphon Heart | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Dro-m'athra Destroyer | Dawnbringer
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zarkeson wrote: »
    So to start, ALOT of people love wolves. I know people(including I) would love this... a wolf race! ZOS must add this! This would rival the khajiit race(cat/dog). Sure ZOS may say "there are werewolves", but hell it's limited and they look messed up. We need handsome anthropomorphic wolves! Not a hard thing to do! Customers like us must make the push!

We the people must have this integrated into our TESO gaming experience/adventure. How awesome would it be to be a wolf. Come fellow customers. Support this proposition.

I am not a great artist so I have no pictures... But I do have some fragmented lore if this may come to life. (I do admit this thread is poorly constructed but it's merely intended for a "kickstart".

The Lykaios~ coming soon(hopefully) :hushed:

This game needs another beast race prefer something cooler and more graceful looking.

More graceful than the Khajiit? Okay. Dogs? Wait, dogs!? I do not think that word means what you think it does.
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasnt there a race of fox people?

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Lilmothiit
    Edited by Bobby_V_Rockit on May 1, 2017 2:09AM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea, but from that angle it would be like saying Giants should be playable.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea, but from that angle it would be like saying Giants should be playable.

Or Dwarves. If I'm remembering correctly, the last reported sighting of a Lilmothiit was about a decade before the events of ESO.
  • Malic
    Malic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want super saiyan. I know you laugh, but this is zos, they dont appear to be to smart. Rather they appear to prioritize money (we have that in common) so Im putting up 350 bucks. Ill pay that as a one time fee for the new race.

Fools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loxR03e_N6Y
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    lol

just lol at this thread
  • Indigochild3rdi
    Indigochild3rdi
    ✭✭✭
    Not more friendly for the tamriel portion of elder scrolls anyway. The closest thing I can think of are the lilmothiit which are an extinct fox like race. But they are all dead. If you are new to the elder scrolls universe you gotta read up on lore before siggesting non cannon ideas lol. It won't happen man.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not more friendly for the tamriel portion of elder scrolls anyway. The closest thing I can think of are the lilmothiit which are an extinct fox like race. But they are all dead. If you are new to the elder scrolls universe you gotta read up on lore before siggesting non cannon ideas lol. It won't happen man.

I like this idea though. You roll up your Lilmothiit, and begin your new life as a rotting corpse in southern Black Marsh. No players can get to you to res you, because no one else can enter your starter zone. You can't self resurrect because you're dead, and your soul isn't bound to Cold Harbour. You spend the next 200 hours slowly decaying while the Horvars feast on your remains.

It'll be cool. :p
  • Shgon_Dunstan
    Shgon_Dunstan
    ✭✭✭
    ... Honestly, those saying "lore says it can't happen" are forgetting what setting they are talking about. Hell, just ask the snow elves. Introduced as an extinct race that no one knew exactly what happened to in Morrowind, then comes Skyrim having very blatant and well known snow elf decedents, and THEN comes its expansion that just has an out and out snow elf show up... And all in all by this point the setting is primed to have a whole freaking colony of them pop out of the woodwork at the drop of a hat.

And that isn't even getting into things like the abundant time travel, reality breaks, or simply a here to unknown group of X or Y wondering in from oblivion... Hell, the bloody dwarves could pop right back into existence at any bloody moment, and that would be 100% lore friendly, as no one truly knows exactly what happened to them.
    Edited by Shgon_Dunstan on May 1, 2017 3:26AM
  • WhitePawPrints
    WhitePawPrints
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... Honestly, those saying "lore says it can't happen" are forgetting what setting they are talking about. Hell, just ask the snow elves. Introduced as an extinct race that no one knew exactly what happened to in Morrowind, then comes Skyrim having very blatant and well known snow elf decedents, and THEN comes its expansion that just has an out and out snow elf show up... And all in all by this point the setting is primed to have a whole freaking colony of them pop out of the woodwork at the drop of a hat.

And that isn't even getting into things like the abundant time travel, reality breaks, or simply a here to unknown group of X or Y wondering in from oblivion... Hell, the bloody dwarves could pop right back into existence at any bloody moment, and that would be 100% lore friendly, as no one truly knows exactly what happened to them.

I must admit, that is actually a very good point. Dragons were extinct...
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, going in reverse order: no, and two.

Dragons were never extinct. Incredibly rare? Yes, but they were never actually driven to extinction. There's at least four that appear in Skyrim who were not revived by Alduin. This includes the first one you actually fight and kill outside of Whiterun.

This is ignoring that the The Elder Scrolls' dragons, like Daedra, are incredibly hard to put down in any meaningful way.

With the Snow Elves, yes, they were believed to be entirely extinct. Then again, most people don't even know the corrupted falmer exist, much less what they are, so that should start to build your understanding of how limited the residents of the 4th era are about the world they live in.

In this context there are two surviving Snow Elves. Two. And then you killed one. There's also one surviving Dwarf. (Though he may have been killed when Red Mountain erupted, it's not completely clear.)

Okay, cool, so these races exist. How often to you see Imperial players in game? Or go in a game like Star Trek Online that actually does have expensive races, and tell me how many Liberated Borg players you see.

One or two survivors is cool. Hell, an entire surviving enclave makes sense. But, there is a massive jump from saying, "here are a handful of survivors," and, "hey, you should be able to play as these guys," with thousands of Snow Elves and Dwemer scampering across Tamriel hoovering up Cornflower and Bugloss.

Which is, also, the point I was making earlier about the Lilmothiit. There may be some survivors, but the last time anyone reported seeing one was a decade or so before the events of the game? Except for the 4,276 that served each of the three warring alliances simultaneously, and interacted with characters all across Tamriel? See the problem?
  • Shgon_Dunstan
    Shgon_Dunstan
    ✭✭✭

Forget "extinct", as far as I recall try "were in NO way shape or form what they suddenly were in Skyrim's lore".

TES might have tons of lore built up over decades that it tries to keep to... But it sure as HELL isn't going to let that lore stop it from telling the story it wants to tell, and has thus built in a lot of ways to get around any problems that might come up. Not the least of which simply being that the IU book writers don't know everything.
  • WhitePawPrints
    WhitePawPrints
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dragons were never extinct. Incredibly rare? Yes, but they were never actually driven to extinction. There's at least four that appear in Skyrim who were not revived by Alduin. This includes the first one you actually fight and kill outside of Whiterun.

This is ignoring that the The Elder Scrolls' dragons, like Daedra, are incredibly hard to put down in any meaningful way.

With the Snow Elves, yes, they were believed to be entirely extinct. Then again, most people don't even know the corrupted falmer exist, much less what they are, so that should start to build your understanding of how limited the residents of the 4th era are about the world they live in.

In this context there are two surviving Snow Elves. Two. And then you killed one. There's also one surviving Dwarf. (Though he may have been killed when Red Mountain erupted, it's not completely clear.)

Okay, cool, so these races exist. How often to you see Imperial players in game? Or go in a game like Star Trek Online that actually does have expensive races, and tell me how many Liberated Borg players you see.

One or two survivors is cool. Hell, an entire surviving enclave makes sense. But, there is a massive jump from saying, "here are a handful of survivors," and, "hey, you should be able to play as these guys," with thousands of Snow Elves and Dwemer scampering across Tamriel hoovering up Cornflower and Bugloss.

Which is, also, the point I was making earlier about the Lilmothiit. There may be some survivors, but the last time anyone reported seeing one was a decade or so before the events of the game? Except for the 4,276 that served each of the three warring alliances simultaneously, and interacted with characters all across Tamriel? See the problem?

Whoa! You are thinking way too hard on this. I'm not even sure what is going on anymore.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LMAO go home SJW. If someone is upset with the idea that a made up race of creatures represent them (a race that is widely considered to be far more peaceful and admirable than humans in the same setting) they can sit in their moms basement and cry into their mountain dew.
    Wow, calm down. Who pissed in your oatmeal? We're having a nice discussion here, and you have to come by to crap all over it.

All I was saying was that certain elements of ESO cultures were inspired by real cultures, but didn't literally represent those cultures. Not sure why this is so hard to understand, unless you speak English as a 2nd language and just don't understand what I'm saying. Take a deep breath. Relax. Have a nice calming cup of coffee.

There now. Breathe! In ... out ... in ... out ...

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Forget "extinct", as far as I recall try "were in NO way shape or form what they suddenly were in Skyrim's lore".

TES might have tons of lore built up over decades that it tries to keep to... But it sure as HELL isn't going to let that lore stop it from telling the story it wants to tell, and has thus built in a lot of ways to get around any problems that might come up. Not the least of which simply being that the IU book writers don't know everything.

The part where they're kinda like aedric attronachs? Yeah, that was actually established in lore books before Skyrim. It was just nearly incomprehensible.
  • Shgon_Dunstan
    Shgon_Dunstan
    ✭✭✭

But technically speaking all other players are non canon. You are the ONLY Vestige. At beast they are just other adventures who might or might not actually be what they look like.
  • DragonBound
    DragonBound
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair I do not think canine race usually work out well to be honest they throw most people off because they look just weird. Canine races are just not half as appealing as a cat race or a dragon race for example. Personally I just want a good looking beast race that is a bit more unique.
  • Shgon_Dunstan
    Shgon_Dunstan
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, I find blatantly out of place races, like say dwarves, to be HIGHLY unlikely. I'm just saying that just about anything can be made to fit the lore side of it... It's the GAME side of it where it becomes doubtful.

I mean... As I said with the goblins. They'd have to rework like half the dialogue in the game...
  • KochDerDamonen
    KochDerDamonen
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Shgon_Dunstan Two, 2, I repeat TWO pre-falmer Snow Elves appear. One is an obscenely powerful vampire and the other is blessed by Auriel. They're also both male. Extinct, they are indeed.

Yes, Bethesda could decide TES VI stars the Dwemer returning to tamriel with a cyberpunk-style city that hovers over the alik'r desert and that the protagonist has to travel with a quirky dwemer sidekick to akivir to fight off the cyber-dragon apocalypse before it reaches their home continent, and also idk danni devito is there as the only dwarf-sized dwemer. It would then be lore-friendly. That does not mean that it would be fitting, or appropriate, or appreciated by long-time fans.

Some of us like it when our entertainment takes itself a smidge serious. At least a little bit.
    Edited by KochDerDamonen on May 1, 2017 4:31AM
    If you quote someone, and intend for them to see what you have said, be sure to Mention them with @[insert name].
  • Mephisto939
    Mephisto939
    ✭✭✭✭
    How about a weird race called the Devkins referred to commonly as the Wrobelites. They randomly change and break things, and nothing is ever quite what it seems. Their mission is to infuriate the denizens of Tamriel while extorting as much gold as possible.
    Why did the Dunmer cross the road?
    Apparently to get stuck in an eternal load screen!
  • Shgon_Dunstan
    Shgon_Dunstan
    ✭✭✭

@Shgon_Dunstan Two, 2, I repeat TWO pre-falmer Snow Elves appear. One is an obscenely powerful vampire and the other is blessed by Auriel. They're also both male. Extinct, they are indeed.

Yes, Bethesda could decide TES VI stars the Dwemer returning to tamriel with a cyberpunk-style city that hovers over the alik'r desert and that the protagonist has to travel with a quirky dwemer sidekick to akivir to fight off the cyber-dragon apocalypse before it reaches their home continent, and also idk danni devito is there as the only dwarf-sized dwemer. It would then be lore-friendly. That does not mean that it would be fitting, or appropriate, or appreciated by long-time fans.

Some of us like it when our entertainment takes itself a smidge serious. At least a little bit.

... How is it that you ended up a TES fan then?

It might have its moments of seriousness... But it also has its legends of the fabled command console. It's stories of people mathematically proving other people out of existence. It's times where every ending happens at once just so the devs don't have to pick one to be "canon". Pretty sure I recall there even being a legend about some other worldly consciousness that sometimes takes over heros in times of need, only for those heros to then vanish into thin air...
    Edited by Shgon_Dunstan on May 1, 2017 4:43AM
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... That does not mean that it would be fitting, or appropriate, or appreciated by long-time fans.
    Well, you mean by SOME long-term fans, not all. :) I'm a long-term fan. I played every Elder Scrolls game since the original Morrowind, and even did custom content for Oblivion and Skyrim. But I'd love to see another race added to ESO some day. It doesn't have to be Dwemer or a wolf race, or a fox race, but SOMETHING new would be cool, just like new classes and new abilities and new areas are cool. I just want more stuff and more options.

• KochDerDamonen
    KochDerDamonen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    ... That does not mean that it would be fitting, or appropriate, or appreciated by long-time fans.
    Well, you mean by SOME long-term fans, not all. :) I'm a long-term fan. I played every Elder Scrolls game since the original Morrowind, and even did custom content for Oblivion and Skyrim. But I'd love to see another race added to ESO some day. It doesn't have to be Dwemer or a wolf race, or a fox race, but SOMETHING new would be cool, just like new classes and new abilities and new areas are cool. I just want more stuff and more options.

@SydneyGrey That is to say, the made-up Dwemer cyberpunk city (which would totally be a mod I would play if someone was insane enough to spend time making it), or to a lesser degree the sudden snow-elf town. A new race or something isn't out of the question, but I find it highly unlikely to occur in ESO as a prequel.

... How is it that you ended up a TES fan then?

It might have its moments of seriousness... But it also has its legends of the fabled command console. It's stories of people mathematically proving other people out of existence. It's times where every ending happens at once just so the devs don't have to pick one to be "canon". Pretty sure I recall there even being a legend about some other worldly consciousness that sometimes takes over heros in times of need, only for those heros to then vanish into thin air...

@ShgonDunstan (At least a little bit.)

TES is not the most serious series of seriousness that's ever serious'd. Not even remotely. There's out-of-scene silliness in the examples you mention, things that happen in books or the way the devs select a 'canon' ending. Then there's in-scene silliness, as in Tarhiel in Morrowind who straight screams and falls to his death after using a magic scroll of acrobatics that was just too much. Then there's silliness that takes some context or further knowledge of the material, in this case the modification of lore, which sure does occur (Cyrodiil isn't a jungle because reasons even though books say so, anything related to a dragon-break) on occasion.

In my thoughts, a series can maintain its seriousness by keeping the contextual silliness low as possible, the in-scene silliness consistent (not suddenly switching between dark'n'edgy and hee-haw-fun-time at random), and out-of-scene silliness is mostly irrelevant but shouldn't overshadow the rest of the game's content.

Take, for instance, Saint's Row. Not the most serious game by anyone's estimate, the first two games cover some dark topics and have some heavy and serious death scenes when it comes to important characters. You can also get drunk and punch a pedestrian a block down the street with one blow, and eat fast food to restore your health. In the Third (more transitional) and beyond, things only get sillier. Phallic bats, hoverbikes, becoming the president, aliens, zombies, simulated universes, journeying to hell... Their are fans of the series that like only the first two(/three) or only the ones three and up, or all of them, or some particular selection. To me, the game was at its best when the silliness was kept to humor and player-created insanity in the first two titles.

I became a fan of TES after playing Oblivion, being disturbed by the potato-faces, picking up Morrowind later on a recommendation by a friend, and dumping hundreds of hours of my life into that game. For the record. Console commands (outside of fixing bugs because, bugthesda) and thomas-the-dragon-enging mods are outside of that experience for me.
    Edited by KochDerDamonen on May 1, 2017 5:01AM
    If you quote someone, and intend for them to see what you have said, be sure to Mention them with @[insert name].
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SydneyGrey That is to say, the made-up Dwemer cyberpunk city (which would totally be a mod I would play if someone was insane enough to spend time making it), or to a lesser degree the sudden snow-elf town. A new race or something isn't out of the question, but I find it highly unlikely to occur in ESO as a prequel.
    I hear ya. :) ESO being a prequel makes it a little more difficult to add new things, in terms of being true to lore. I agree with you.

• Shgon_Dunstan
    Shgon_Dunstan
    ✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »

@SydneyGrey That is to say, the made-up Dwemer cyberpunk city (which would totally be a mod I would play if someone was insane enough to spend time making it), or to a lesser degree the sudden snow-elf town. A new race or something, isn't out of the question, but I find it highly unlikely to occur in ESO as a prequel.

Unlikely, sure, but... Is it really all that different from the way the orcs seem to be fully culturally integrated with everyone else in ESO?

It's smack dap in the middle of a long war history doesn't even record the outcome of... A LOT can happen in such, even leaving aside all the other things going on in the story. Alliances can be made and broken overnight. "Little things" like small colonies of thought extinct people showing up only to die... Or hell, there's the REALLY easy out lore wise.

We're a vestige... We're not actually whatever race we look like, AND we are immortal. Who is to say there aren't any Dwemer vestiges running around?

Edit: and just to be 100% clear on my standing on such... The ONLY way the Dwemer as a full on people are showing up in ESO is purely by the power of the almighty dollar... THEY and their disappearance are about as close as TES has to an overarching plot thread. Hell, IIRC it was even mentioned in Arena. I just REALLY doubt they would even allow it to come to a head in anything but one of the main games...

... Mind, on the flip side of that, I doubt we will never see their return.
    Edited by Shgon_Dunstan on May 1, 2017 5:22AM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know. A return of the Dwarves with a floating city, while they try to conquer the world using their steampunk tech would fit the setting perfectly. You still probably wouldn't be allowed to play as a Dwemer, but still.