Maintenance for the week of June 3:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 3, 2:00AM EDT (6:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – June 5, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – June 5, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

PVP should be across the map of Tamriel

• FluffyReachWitch
    FluffyReachWitch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Approaching this from a design and development perspective, full world PvP could be a pretty disruptive decision for gameplay. TES gives you a lot of freedom, but this is not a singleplayer game. Introducing other players with equal freedom means the developers have to think about how multiplayer mechanics impact a gameplay experience. Nonstop PvP could have impacts like detracting from PvE quest areas, which are intended to focus on the setting and story, and would also mean opening up new ways for players to essentially grief each other.

It might even get in the way of some of the reasons One Tamriel exists in the first place. Part of the point of One Tamriel is being able to join your friends in other factions, to PvE together at last. With that in mind, have you ever had a truce with another faction player in Cyrodiil, and joined forces to take on a boss or a dolmen? You'll notice that it's possible for you to accidentally hit each other and there's no way for you to heal or buff the other person. Bringing PvP into the rest of Tamriel would make all dolmens and boss fights basically like that. The cooperative aspect that was half the point of One Tamriel would be lost, which is likely not where the developers would want to go after the efforts of the Zone Meld.

That's not to say it couldn't work. If players were able to opt out, that would mean they could go about their business without being stopped by someone else's warfare. Better yet, something like this could instead require you to opt in. You wouldn't be able to attack someone unless you both ticked some form of a dialogue box: "Yes, I want to fight players anywhere." Just like we can turn down duels and avoid Cyrodiil. Going to Cyrodiil for PvE content is certainly encouraged by the skyshards, lore books, and dungeons scattered around the map, but it contains PvP elements. And at no point does the main quest steer the player toward Cyrodiil. Going to Cyrodiil is completely the choice of the player, whatever treasures lie on the other side of those gates. And to be consistent with this choice to engage in war, if full world PvP is ever introduced, then that would be best as a player choice as well.
    Edited by FluffyReachWitch on April 28, 2017 3:10AM
    Options
  • linzion
    linzion
    ✭✭✭
    Axoinus wrote: »
    I can only object in the sense that the game wasn't originally designed that way. So your recommendation is not in scope and not realistic.
    It's realistic, yes, my friend ... watch the launch trailer. in 2014
    Options
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »
    linzion wrote: »
    those in favor of PVP are being very respectful as far as I'm reading.

So pro OW PVPers calling anti OW PvPers carebears and noobs is "being very respectful" according to you?

It is not respectful. Its intentionally insulting and demeaning to people just because they dont agree with your point of view.

Its also the perfect example of one of the reasons many people dont want OW PVP. Many Pro OW PvPers repeatedly demonstrate that they can not be respectful to other people. It is simply the antithesis of their ideology.

Keep up those kinds of comments and you'll get this thread moderated and possibly shut down

We're advocating for choice. If u are sincerely that sensitive and wary of pro PvP guys, u should want a server split more so than anyone.

Your "choice" would be to force PVP on everyone in the game everywhere. Thats not a choice. We have "choice" now.
    We can choose to PvP in the zones made for it and PvE in the zones made for that.

As I stated before. I play and enjoy PvP in Cyrodill and IC (I have accumulated millions of AP across my characters) when I choose to do so and I can play in the other zones when I choose to do PvE. I do not want PvP everywhere with no choice whatsoever to participate or not.

I sincerely doubt that ZoS will make a dedicated PvP server but that would be the only way this game would survive having PvP in all zones. If they do make separate servers (if that really is what you are advocating), they will be a barren wasteland and shut down in less than a year. Like it or not, people that enjoy PvP, are vastly outnumbered by players that dont want to PvP at all.
    Edited by Katahdin on April 28, 2017 3:10AM
    Beta tester November 2013
    Options
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a pretty simple system in wow and other open world games . It's a toggle . That way people can use banks when they need or go quest without disruption . It's been done successfully for decades .
    Options
  • linzion
    linzion
    ✭✭✭
    No one spoke of forcing anything friend. There are many organized ways to make this fun for everyone .. choosing whether to yes or not. As someone said a Buff would be very practical ...

So pro OW PVPers calling anti OW PvPers carebears and noobs is "being very respectful" according to you?

It is not respectful. Its intentionally insulting and demeaning to people just because they dont agree with your point of view.

Its also the perfect example of one of the reasons many people dont want OW PVP. Many Pro OW PvPers repeatedly demonstrate that they can not be respectful to other people. It is simply the antithesis of their ideology.

Keep up those kinds of comments and you'll get this thread moderated and possibly shut down

We're advocating for choice. If u are sincerely that sensitive and wary of pro PvP guys, u should want a server split more so than anyone.

Your "choice" would be to force PVP on everyone in the game everywhere. Thats not a choice. We have "choice" now.
    We can choose to PvP in the zones made for it and PvE in the zones made for that.

As I stated before. I play and enjoy PvP in Cyrodill and IC (I have accumulated millions of AP across my characters) when I choose to do so and I can play in the other zones when I choose to do PvE. I do not want PvP everywhere with no choice whatsoever to participate or not.

I sincerely doubt that ZoS will make a dedicated PvP server but that would be the only way this game would survive having PvP in all zones. If they do make separate servers (if that really is what you are advocating), they will be a barren wasteland and shut down in less than a year. Like it or not, people that enjoy PvP, are vastly outnumbered by players that dont want to PvP at all.
    No one spoke of forcing anything friend. There are many organized ways to make this fun for everyone .. choosing whether to yes or not. As someone said a Buff would be very practical ...
    Options
  • ComboBreaker88
    ComboBreaker88
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as there was no fighting allowed in cities and players could opt out of it in all current PvE zones.. I don't see an issue with this.
    Options
  • CurvedSwords123
    CurvedSwords123
    ✭✭✭
    Approaching this from a design and development perspective, full world PvP could be a pretty disruptive decision for gameplay. TES gives you a lot of freedom, but this is not a singleplayer game. Introducing other players with equal freedom means the developers have to think about how multiplayer mechanics impact a gameplay experience. Nonstop PvP could have impacts like detracting from PvE quest areas, which are intended to focus on the setting and story, and would also mean opening up new ways for players to essentially grief each other.

It might even get in the way of some of the reasons One Tamriel exists in the first place. Part of the point of One Tamriel is being able to join your friends in other factions, to PvE together at last. With that in mind, have you ever had a truce with another faction player in Cyrodiil, and joined forces to take on a boss or a dolmen? You'll notice that it's possible for you to accidentally hit each other and there's no way for you to heal or buff the other person. Bringing PvP into the rest of Tamriel would make all dolmens and boss fights basically like that. The cooperative aspect that was half the point of One Tamriel would be lost, which is likely not where the developers would want to go after the efforts of the Zone Meld.

That's not to say it couldn't work. If players were able to opt out, that would mean they could go about their business without being stopped by someone else's warfare. Better yet, something like this could instead require you to opt in. Going to Cyrodiil for PvE content is certainly encouraged by the skyshards, lore books, and dungeons scattered around the map, but it contains PvP elements. And at no point does the main quest steer the player toward Cyrodiil. Going to Cyrodiil is completely the choice of the player, whatever treasures lie on the other side of those gates. And to be consistent with this choice to engage in war, if full world PvP is ever introduced, then that would be best as a player choice as well.

I completely agree it would be a challenge. I think it could work if a few staples were followed:
    -protection for noobs
    -difficulty of invasions
    -defeating agressors tied to personal daily/weekly progression
    -protection of personal assets in the event of PvP death (my preference)
    -incentive for high lvl players to defend their land
    -some kind of tie into the primary conflict in the centre
    -some kind of trolling disincentive

It's a challenge, it'll definately take a lot of effort. But I think the immersion and the liveliness of the world would be worth it. Player made content makes the world dynamic.
    Options
  • CurvedSwords123
    CurvedSwords123
    ✭✭✭

U'r not being honest. Everyone would have a choice to join the server they would like. Explain how that is forcing PvP on everyone? U don't know what ZOS is willing to do. I bet u would have thought​ ZOS wasn't willing to drop the level restrictions from their PvE content a couple of months ago. Limiting choice is regressive. Past precedent proves my position leads to a much larger player base.
    Edited by CurvedSwords123 on April 28, 2017 3:20AM
    Options
  • Emmagoldman
    Emmagoldman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be fine if you could "flag" by typing /pvp.
    There would need to be diminishing returns of ao to prevent ap exploitating. It would be banable ot try and farm each other as well.

I use to play fallen earth and it was big with the pvp and rp crowd. Gank fest usually turned into big fights. Again, only if you flag, so if you dont want to walk aroind with pvp above you head, you were fine

You could also see in a social tab everyone flagged (what zone) and try to find them. Again, not only pvp community, but rpers would set up all sorts of events. The rpers eould write their own stories and have one group that needed to kill another. Or a scavanger hunt, tbe first oerson to kill somone got a reward.
    Options
  • CurvedSwords123
    CurvedSwords123
    ✭✭✭
    It's a pretty simple system in wow and other open world games . It's a toggle . That way people can use banks when they need or go quest without disruption . It's been done successfully for decades .

Yes! I agree. It's like all these MMO developers cloned the crappy elements of WoW, but are too scared to emulate the freedom that made Vanilla WoW such a sensation.
    Options
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not understand anything you're talking about, buddy ... let's keep focus on the theme? If I leave the topic I prefer even if the topic is closed ... but when the other person said noob I understand only as beginners ... so my friends who started last week.

You dont understand? I guess you have selective reading.
    The following quotes are not referring to people as new players.
    They are blatantly and purposefully insulting to people that do not share your point of view.
    Hey carebears. What are you talking about design?[/quote}

and
    The PvE carebear crowd....

and
    The carebears can farm....

and
    Maybe noobs should be completely protected....

As to the topic, Ive already stated my opinion. I am not in favor of open world PvP
    Edited by Katahdin on April 28, 2017 3:23AM
    Options
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

WoW did have some issues. Like even on PvE servers there were a handful of quests that would flag you for pvp.... and there was usually some high-level player lurking nearby to get his jollies by smiting a suddenly-flagged PvE'er 10+ levels below him.

Or the griefers who would stand on questgivers in cross-faction quest hubs while flagged, in the hope that someone trying to click on the NPC would hit them instead - flagging them and then getting insta-squished by the guards. (Which was a death to NPCs, so it caused gear damage & repair fees.)

But yeah, WoW has pvp servers. Of course, their structure is to have dozens of individual servers to start with, having pve/pvp/rp servers is easy for them.
    Options
  • CurvedSwords123
    CurvedSwords123
    ✭✭✭
    I did not understand anything you're talking about, buddy ... let's keep focus on the theme? If I leave the topic I prefer even if the topic is closed ... but when the other person said noob I understand only as beginners ... so my friends who started last week.

They are blatantly and purposefully insulting to people that do not share your point of view.
    Hey carebears. What are you talking about design?[/quote}

and
    The PvE carebear crowd....

and
    The carebears can farm....

and
    Maybe noobs should be completely protected....

As to the topic, Ive already stated my opinion. I am not in favor of open world PvP

Not like I feel like I get anything useful from engaging in conversation with you, but what was ur point with all those quotations from me? That I use the word carebear? Powerful dude. U got me...
    Edited by CurvedSwords123 on April 28, 2017 3:29AM
    Options
  • linzion
    linzion
    ✭✭✭

Good friend .. there you are talking about someone else and not me right ... I did not use those words right ?. Where I live noob is just a beginner ... I believe that you are interacting in a personal way yours to read the word
    You're getting out of the focus of this post right.

I am focused attention on the fun idea for everyone and not on sowing discord.
    I still think a buff for pvp on any map would be very interesting.
    Edited by linzion on April 28, 2017 3:35AM
    Options
  • CurvedSwords123
    CurvedSwords123
    ✭✭✭

WoW did have some issues. Like even on PvE servers there were a handful of quests that would flag you for pvp.... and there was usually some high-level player lurking nearby to get his jollies by smiting a suddenly-flagged PvE'er 10+ levels below him.

Or the griefers who would stand on questgivers in cross-faction quest hubs while flagged, in the hope that someone trying to click on the NPC would hit them instead - flagging them and then getting insta-squished by the guards. (Which was a death to NPCs, so it caused gear damage & repair fees.)

But yeah, WoW has pvp servers. Of course, their structure is to have dozens of individual servers to start with, having pve/pvp/rp servers is easy for them.

One PvE megaserver and one PvP megaserver, cater to everybody. What's wrong with that? I think vanilla WoW did ow PvP very tastefully. I can't remember of quests that flagged u for PvP in wow against ur wishes, but I wouldn't advocate for something like that in ESO. I think it should all be summed up in a server choice. Maybe even extra protections for sub 50 players on PvP servers.
    Edited by CurvedSwords123 on April 28, 2017 3:33AM
    Options
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not like I feel like I get anything useful from engaging in conversation with you, but what was ur point with all those quotations from me?

Its been demonstrated that the conversation is only useful to you (meaning people with your opinion) if I agree with you. No one is allowed to have a dissenting opinion in your world.

The point is that you apparently cant have a conversation with someone that doesn't agree with your point of view without resorting to insults.

Its the same every single time this comes up. Only the names are different.

Edited by Katahdin on April 28, 2017 3:36AM
    Options
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

No matter what PVPers believe, there is more PVE players in the game. In ZOS eyes we are worth more, we make up the larger portion of the playerbase - that is why PVP has been so severely neglected.

What developer in their right mind (Saying ZOS is in their right mind might be a stretch) but what developer in their right mind would do something to a game that would alienate the larger portion of the playerbase. (I guess I shouldn't ask this being they just alienated 90% of Templars).

I hate this game's PVP, not because I suck or die alot (I've done okay-ish) but because it's just plain not entertaining to me, I much prefer PVE content.

I've always been a fan of co-op games and PVE content. That is the kind of stuff I like. I don't like competition - but I especially don't like forced competition. Competition often breeds anger and stress - some of the things I play video games to escape.

I think ever in my lifetime there's been 2 PVPs I enjoyed; Destiny and Resistance 2.

You're getting battlegrounds in the expansion anyway.
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
    Options
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I vote yes!

Killing some one should take 50% of their gold and a 2 pieces of their armor. EVEN is it's BOP.

Cheers!

Until YOU get ganked and lose your stuff.

PLOT TWIST.

I'm the ganker!
    Options
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Games with world PVP never survive . Just look at WoW .

They have more then 10 million paid subscribers every time an expansions drops.

Looks good to me!
    Options
  • CurvedSwords123
    CurvedSwords123
    ✭✭✭
    lagrue wrote: »
    No.

No matter what PVPers believe, there is more PVE players in the game. In ZOS eyes we are worth more, we make up the larger portion of the playerbase - that is why PVP has been so severely neglected.

What developer in their right mind (Saying ZOS is in their right mind might be a stretch) but what developer in their right mind would do something to a game that would alienate the larger portion of the playerbase. (I guess I shouldn't ask this being they just alienated 90% of Templars).

I hate this game's PVP, not because I suck or die alot (I've done okay-ish) but because it's just plain not entertaining to me, I much prefer PVE content.

I've always been a fan of co-op games and PVE content. That is the kind of stuff I like. I don't like competition - but I especially don't like forced competition. Competition often breeds anger and stress - some of the things I play video games to escape.

I think ever in my lifetime there's been 2 PVPs I enjoyed; Destiny and Resistance 2.

You're getting battlegrounds in the expansion anyway.

Funny. Everything I've read, the major selling point of this game is the combat system and the massive PvP zone. Also, just reading forums, and participating in threads like this. It seems like there are a healthy dose of both PvP and PvE players. Where is ur evidence the pro PvE crowd outnumbers us by such a large margin?
    Edited by CurvedSwords123 on April 28, 2017 4:03AM
    Options
  • linzion
    linzion
    ✭✭✭
    In ZOS eyes we are worth more

I do not want to lose focus, but I confess that I find this statement rather funny

Please help me where do you find this official statistic??
    Please, that's a serious question. Not a kind of sarcasm .. I'm curious and want to do research .. but I do not know this information. Or where to find it!
    Options
  • Lavennin
    Lavennin
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you not want PVP to be consensual, other than to prey upon the fishing folks/new players/people that are just minding their own business?

Otherwise you can just send invite & duel like-minded players.

There's simply no equal ground in non-consensual PVP. People tend to only attack when they are certain they've got the advantage. When I was leveling in WoW I never attacked anyone that was 3+ below my level because I'd feel bad. And those players never attacked me first. Those of the same level/weaker class never attacked first either, but minutes later their max level friends would come, hunting me down.

Unless people somehow enjoy dying, I think non-consensual PVP pretty much equals ganking (with only a few exceptions).

Edited by Lavennin on April 28, 2017 4:14AM
    Options
  • CurvedSwords123
    CurvedSwords123
    ✭✭✭
    Lavennin wrote: »
    Why would you not want PVP to be consensual, other than to prey upon the fishing folks/new players/people that are just minding their own business?

Otherwise you can just send invite & duel with like-minded players.

There's simply no equal ground in non-consensual PVP. People tend to only attack when they are certain they've got the advantage. When I was leveling in WoW I never attacked anyone that was 3+ below my level because I'd feel bad. And those players never attacked me first. Those of the same level/weaker class never attacked first either, but minutes later their max level friends would come, hunting me down.

Unless people somehow enjoy dying, I think non-consensual PVP pretty much equals ganking (with only a few exceptions).

Well, all PvP would be consensual as long as u elected (with undecided regulations) to be on a PvP server. It would allow for more player made conflict throughout the whole world, rather than static NPC grinding. It would be immersive because it would give the sense of a prevalent war. It would be exciting because u would never know what kind of trouble u'd experience day to day. The world would no longer be static. Yes, ganking would be an issue every now and then but that is the nature of the Beast. I'd argue u'd get more satisfaction from killing someone that ganked u, than an NPC monster on ur quest to-do list.
    Options
  • linzion
    linzion
    ✭✭✭
    Lavennin wrote: »

Otherwise you can just send invite & duel like-minded players.

I do not like cowardly games either ...
    But I think how cool it would be to take care of the fear of the shade in the world of Nir haha
      Do not see any emotion in npc
    But my friend, I did not understand if you found this idea pleasant.
    Options
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In ZOS eyes we are worth more

I do not want to lose focus, but I confess that I find this statement rather funny

Please help me where do you find this official statistic??
    Please, that's a serious question. Not a kind of sarcasm .. I'm curious and want to do research .. but I do not know this information. Or where to find it!

It's plainly obvious. There's a reason we have more DLCs focusing on PVE content and Cyrodiil has been ignored for 3 years.

You can laugh at my statement all you want, but clearly PVE is the focus to ZOS and more players play in PVE.

IC and Cyrodiil are absolute dead zones half the time I enter them, whereas you'll almost never go 5 min in PVE without seeing another player. It's anecdotal, sure - but considering ES was always a PVE kind of series, it's obvious that it was going to rake in more PVE players over time.
    Edited by lagrue on April 28, 2017 4:30AM
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
    Options
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhoric wrote: »
    Go look at SWTOR. They don't have PvP servers anymore. They have PvP instances and those are virtually deserted. I had to go into those instances a few times to get quest spawns. I was the only one in that instance and I was on populated server.

Man. Swtor is deserted. Period. Know why? The whole game is about NPCs! Lol. Cutscenes isn't game play.

You don't even know what you are talking about.
    Options
  • CurvedSwords123
    CurvedSwords123
    ✭✭✭
    Go look at SWTOR. They don't have PvP servers anymore. They have PvP instances and those are virtually deserted. I had to go into those instances a few times to get quest spawns. I was the only one in that instance and I was on populated server.

Man. Swtor is deserted. Period. Know why? The whole game is about NPCs! Lol. Cutscenes isn't game play.

You don't even know what you are talking about.

Sure I do, it's a dead game that's been maligned since it's inception. When the game first came out, it was clear that they spent most of their budget on NPC dialogue. What else should I know about Swtor?
    Edited by CurvedSwords123 on April 28, 2017 4:31AM
    Options
  • linzion
    linzion
    ✭✭✭
    It's plainly obvious. There's a reason we have more DLCs focusing on PVE content and Cyrodiil has been ignored for 3 years.

You can laugh at my statement all you want, but clearly PVE is the focus to ZOS and more players play in PVE.

IC and Cyrodiil are absolute dead zones half the time I enter them, whereas you'll almost never go 5 min in PVE without seeing another player. It's anecdotal, sure - but considering ES was always a PVE kind of series, it's obvious that it was going to rake in more PVE players over time.

And it is exactly for this reason that we are having this conversation in the forum friend.
    Options
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No you don't know. I have been there since beta and it is far from dead
    Options
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with you. The lack of real world PvP outside of cyrodil sucks. Makes most of the game static and boring. All these beautiful landscapes and there is no real danger, just NPCs to contend with. Real world PvP would make this game dangerous and exciting.

It isn't for you. You can go to your PvP zones.

Or go play a game designed like that. This isn't it.
    Options
This discussion has been closed.