Maintenance for the week of June 3:
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – June 5, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – June 5, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance June 5, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Re: Sorc Shields

Malamar1229
Malamar1229
✭✭✭✭✭
I want to address the plebs still crying about sorc shields. This is not a secret and will become common knowledge in a matter of weeks anyway so my fella sorcs need not hate on me.

Sorc shields are nerfed presently to a much greater degree than most of you realize:

1) Sustaining by means of stacking harness over hardened is not going to work anymore or at the very least be difficult to achieve without building for it at the expense of dmg. Top that with the Siphoner CP passive/poisons makes spam stacking much harder.

2) CP are now front loaded as outlined in the PTS notes. This means most players will be running around with like 10% in shattering blows.

3) Hardy and Elemental Defender values were reduced to 15% with 100 points invested into them. This is more damage getting through to shields.

Obviously in a NO CP environment these points won't be as huge an impact. So it is my early prediction well probably see more sorcs in Battlegrounds/Azuras than you will in CP enabled environments. Building for sustain to support shields (since light armor offers no damage mitigation) means another nerf to damage as well.

Here's a few tags for support, @Lord_Hev @Derra @Hexys @RinaldoGandolphi @Minalan @Dracane
Edited by Malamar1229 on April 26, 2017 1:34PM
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We´re still going to need adjustment for harness returns.

ZOS stated that resource returns based on pools were undesireable in their design philosophy - which is exactly what harness still does.
    Give harness a fixed magica return.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

Options
  • Magıc
    Magıc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Derra said.

@Neighbor
    Edited by Magıc on April 20, 2017 3:54PM
    Options
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Furthermore i think dark deal/conversion should see some kind of rework - but not simply on the numbers instead i´d suggest a mechanical change:

Convert ONLY the resource return into an over time type of mechanic - returning the resources over 6 to 10s. That way it could no longer be spammed for excessive resource gains in short amounts of time but would still be a possible heal.
    <Noricum>

Options
  • SirMewser
    SirMewser
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »

ZOS stated that resource returns based on pools were undesireable in their design philosophy - which is exactly what harness still does.

Personally wished that they reverted harness magicka to only work defensively against spells, not everything needs to be monotonous.
    Options
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to address the plebs still crying about sorc shields. This is not a secret and will become common knowledge in a matter of weeks anyway so my fella sorcs need not hate on me.

Sorc shields are nerfed presently to a much greater degree than most of you realize:

1) Sustaining by means of stacking harness over hardened is not going to work anymore. Top that with the Siphoner CP passive/poisons makes spam stacking much harder.

2) CP are now front loaded as outlined in the PTS notes. This means most players will be running around with like 10% in shattering blows.

3) Hardy and Elemental Defender values were reduced to 15% with 100 points invested into them. This is more damage getting through to shields.

Obviously in a NO CP environment these points won't be as huge an impact. So it is my early prediction well probably see more sorcs in Battlegrounds/Azuras than you will in CP enabled environments. Building for sustain to support shields (since light armor offers no damage mitigation) means another nerf to damage as well.

Here's a few tags for support, @Lord_Hev @Derra @Hexys @RinaldoGandolphi @Minalan @Dracane

Thank you for addressing this to all the idiots who are making thread after thread about sorc shields, they are clueless
    Options
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Furthermore i think dark deal/conversion should see some kind of rework - but not simply on the numbers instead i´d suggest a mechanical change:

Convert ONLY the resource return into an over time type of mechanic - returning the resources over 6 to 10s. That way it could no longer be spammed for excessive resource gains in short amounts of time but would still be a possible heal.

^^^^^^^^This OMG so much this.

I've wanted for Dark Deal to be this since DB.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The crying about shields is in fact unjustified.
    I also have to agree though, that harness magicka's magicka return should be reduced and the dark deal morph of dark exchange could use some adjustments as well.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.

My debut album on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@Gleandra/videos
    Options
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    And don't forget about that new damage cp star, adding more damage to shields, which means having to put CP's into its counter, which means less available to spend in bastion.
    The days of sorcs running with 100 bastion are over.

Not to mention the need for sustain sets will mean many builds having less Max mag, and therefore smaller shields.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exactly and all that kept in mind, you understand why Zenimax decided to keep Bastion at 25% and it was a good decision.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.

Options
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So, I suppose the res regen nerf only affects sorcs spamming shields and not classes actually using skills to bring them down, right?

Because, to put down a shield you need to use resources too.
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
    Options
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Excellent suggestions @Derra

I agree with @Dracane

I personally have thought that shield stacking was too OP for quite some time, but with these recent sustain nerfs I think if you can maintain shield stacking then you should be rewarded with its effectiveness. Also keep Bastion at 25%. Investing into that passive makes you very weak when those shields are down, and therefore we shouldn't punish those that want to polarize their defenses by investing into this passive.
    Edited by Strider_Roshin on April 20, 2017 5:25PM
    Options
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »
    So, I suppose the res regen nerf only affects sorcs spamming shields and not classes actually using skills to bring them down, right?

Because, to put down a shield you need to use resources too.

Aye, and once out of resources and your both flailing at each other with heavy attacks, I wonder if it will be the no-impen, light-armour sorc that walks away from it.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @Dracane

I personally have thought that shield stacking was too OP for quite some time, but with these recent sustain nerfs I think if you can maintain shield stacking then you should be rewarded with its effectiveness. Also keep Bastion at 25%. Investing into that passively makes you very weak when those shields are down, and therefore we shouldn't punish those that want to polarize their defenses by investing into this passive.

Good argument. Afterall, maintaining shields requires active work and micromanagement and once they are down, you are punished with greater squishiness. If you want to provide yourself the necessary sustain, you will need light armor and most likely divine traits in order to improve the atronach stone, every little bit helps. So you are definately dead meat once your health gets touched..
    Edited by Dracane on April 20, 2017 5:19PM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.

Options
  • D0ntevenL1ft
    D0ntevenL1ft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kinda awkward when the people you tagged said different things than you
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We agree with him. But we also point to certain things that need to be adjusted, harness magicka for example.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.

Options
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

1) Sustaining by means of stacking harness over hardened is not going to work anymore. Top that with the Siphoner CP passive/poisons makes spam stacking much harder.

Thank you for addressing this to all the idiots who are making thread after thread about sorc shields, they are clueless
    Dracane wrote: »

I agree with @Dracane

I personally have thought that shield stacking was too OP for quite some time, but with these recent sustain nerfs I think if you can maintain shield stacking then you should be rewarded with its effectiveness. Also keep Bastion at 25%. Investing into that passively makes you very weak when those shields are down, and therefore we shouldn't punish those that want to polarize their defenses by investing into this passive.

Good argument. Afterall, maintaining shields requires active work and micromanagement and once they are down, you are punished with greater squishiness. If you want to provide yourself the necessary sustain, you will need light armor and most likely divine traits in order to improve the atronach stone, every little bit helps. So you are definately dead meat once your health gets touched..

Shields do not take any micromanagement lol.
    Options
  • Malamar1229
    Malamar1229
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No body said Harness was perfect. I don't think there a single sorc out there that thinks Harness is fine. I just said it's harder to stack. And I don't think anyone said anything difference than I did...
    Options
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    usmcjdking wrote: »

I agree with @Dracane

In the PTS they do. Hardened + Healing = 9k
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @Dracane

Of course they do O.o Maybe micromanagement is not the perfect word for it. But yes
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.

Options
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I agree with @Dracane

Actually they do.

First. You can't just keep spamming a full stack anymore anytime you feel like it. So you have to know which shield you cast last, and know which one is taking damage now that needs to be refreshed. Refreshing a back shield that isn't being chewed on is a waste you can't afford.

Lastly. Healing ward is expensive, so you're not going to put it up until you have enough damage taken to justify it. If you have 80% health, it's better to let surge or entropy top up your health instead of being stupid with heal ward.

In the current game there's no thought involved in either of those cases. Morrowind is a completely different game. Good Sorcs are going to do great. The shield spamming baddies will be OOM and dead - then complain that ZOS wrecked the game:

Options
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Malamar1229 you Sir are a breath of fresh air. I came here expecting more Ward hate and find an articulate explanation that may help people understand the difficulties with Active defenses

Have an Awesome x 10

Thank you
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
    Options
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It´s gonna be funny anyways when people realize stamina and magica wardens offer better delayed burst than sorcs do.

Underground assault, bird, charge, puncture (procsetofyourliking here) - literally everything hits at the same time - 1 hit no stealth needed.

Magica works the same way but takes a little more work/skill to execute with heavyattack - but potentially even more deadly with fire knockback and the delay on breaking.
    <Noricum>

Options
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Additionally i dont get the recent uplift in ward hate. U13 brought a few extra scamp pulses and a ln extra curse explosion and the #SorcHaters kick off about wards again.

All the decent players counter round wards the same now as they did in 2016. And I guess the people that couldn't kill sorcs then still cant

I digress, but epic most man.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
    Options
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We agree with him - that does not mean we can´t add things that still need attention on our subjective opinion.

The sorc shield (meaning hardened ward) is not the problem imo.
    <Noricum>

Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It´s gonna be funny anyways when people realize stamina and magica wardens offer better delayed burst than sorcs do.

Underground assault, bird, charge, puncture (procsetofyourliking here) - literally everything hits at the same time - 1 hit no stealth needed.

Magica works the same way but takes a little more work/skill to execute with heavyattack - but potentially even more deadly with fire knockback and the delay on breaking.

The Bird is truly overperforming. Compare it to force pulse and forsake. it's better in every single aspect.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.

Options
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The underground assault isn't targeted though, so it will be pretty tough to line up for it to hit on a ranged build IMHO.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
    Options
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    meh - edit
    Edited by Derra on April 20, 2017 6:22PM
    <Noricum>

Options
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The Bird is truly overperforming. Compare it to force pulse and forsake. it's better in every single aspect.

Being undodgeable is ridiculous IMO. It's easy to dodge? So is frags, so is overload, so is uppercut, so is snipe, so is Dark Flare, so is the spectral bow from Grim Focus.

So what makes the Warden special?
    Options
  • Malamar1229
    Malamar1229
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey uh remember this is in the public PTS section and not the morrowwind closed section....

continue
    Options
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes,

Shields overall will take more damage because of the CP tree changes and how hard diminishing returns are on specific trees.

Harness Magicka could maybe use a very slight adjustment on its Magicka return, but we must be careful remember they already nerfed the return once before back in 1.6 changing it from absorbing till the shield was gone to only 3 times...maybe changing it to 2 times would be acceptable.

Sorcs benefited the most from uncapped stats and ironically suffers the most from the sustain changes. Since the class is required to refresh a shield every 5 seconds or die due to light armor offering literally no protection at all because of sharpened trait being way overtuned, Sorcs are even more forced into sustain sets then other classes.

How things look on paper and how things work in practice are two totally different things. Sorc is not the top class despite what the paper might appear to say. The numbers say otherwise. This will become apparent within a few weeks.
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

Options