The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

the game doesn't run

• Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello, I am experiencing the same issues, and I have tried every fix. My system does not meet requirements, but I have been able to play perfectly until this patch. Now I get the black screen crash with "eso stopped working." Others who DO meet system requirements are having the same issue, yet support refuses to help me. I would love to provide as much info as I can to help figure out this problem.

How can I have my ticket addressed, @ZOS_GinaBruno? I am looking forward to spending money on housing and morrowind, but can't pay if I can't play. Please help!

Ticket #170206-002180

In what way does your system fall below the minimum requirements?

I'm afraid it's pretty standard in any walk of life for support to be withheld from any user who doesn't meet the necessary requirements for the relevant product or service, that's not something that is just applicable here. That said, if you can detail your system specs it may be possible to suggest a workaround or the cheapest way of upgrading so as to meet the minimum requirements.
    Options
  • huffmichaelab14_ESO
    Hello, I am experiencing the same issues, and I have tried every fix. My system does not meet requirements, but I have been able to play perfectly until this patch. Now I get the black screen crash with "eso stopped working." Others who DO meet system requirements are having the same issue, yet support refuses to help me. I would love to provide as much info as I can to help figure out this problem.

How can I have my ticket addressed, @ZOS_GinaBruno? I am looking forward to spending money on housing and morrowind, but can't pay if I can't play. Please help!

Ticket #170206-002180

So, you might have just answered your own question. If your system doesn't meet the minimum system requirements, then this is likely what's preventing you from playing. Something could change in any patch that could suddenly make the game unplayable, even if you were able to previously run it on an older machine. Unfortunately, this is the risk you take when using a machine that falls under the requirements needed to run the game.

If there's any question as to what these requirements are, you can find them here: https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3313/

Respectfully, I feel as though that's simply the "party line" that insurance makes you use or something. Based on the experince of others with the same issue who DO meet system requirements, I am fairly sure it is not my system. So, I have not answered my own question. What I would like to know is how do I get my ticket addressed, when others who DO meet requirements are having the same issue? (Meaning the problem is not my system)

Additionally, I bought a new system a couple years ago, specifically upgraded to meet system requirements. Then, about a month later, you changed the requirements because lighting and PvP didn't work. So, I guess more accurately, it's the risk ANYONE takes when playing ESO.

Can I ask why my ticket was placed into a category marked "Black Screen Crash" with others who were having the same issue who DO meet system requirements if the problem is simply the fact that I don't meet system requirements?
    Options
  • huffmichaelab14_ESO
    Tandor wrote: »

Ticket #170206-002180

In what way does your system fall below the minimum requirements?

I'm afraid it's pretty standard in any walk of life for support to be withheld from any user who doesn't meet the necessary requirements for the relevant product or service, that's not something that is just applicable here. That said, if you can detail your system specs it may be possible to suggest a workaround or the cheapest way of upgrading so as to meet the minimum requirements.

Thank you, @Tandor - this is exactly the type of conversation I would hope to have with support, especially as it seems they're still working out what the problem is.

I am not at my computer right this second, but it is because I have an intel GPU, I believe an i7. Everything else is way above specs. My game would never crash like this, especially not at the opening screen. I will be happy to post more details when I am home. Thank you again!
    Options
  • Isavier
    Isavier
    Hi people, finally I've solved my one, so here are my two cents in hope they help somebody else. This is for Windows 8.1 x 64.

Apparently, updating those windows KB files can be a mess because windows updater is a pretty fragile system and does not work properly at many PCs.
    So, after a few hours of torturing google and microsoft, here's the exact sequence that helped me when none others did:

1. ESO Launcher directory -> files named vcredist_x64_2015 and vcredist_x86_2015 -> repair them, uninstall them
    2. Set windows updater at "never check for updates"
    3. Disable the updater entirely by running (ctrl + R or win button + R) "services.msc" (just type this command in the popped miniwindow and run it), and finding the windows updater service near the list bottom, then pressing disable/turn off. A little bit above on the list, there is another service called BITS (intellectual something something) - you make sure it is turned on. Then exit services menu and reboot PC.
    4. Download and install update file KB2999226. Reboot. (Here or at any of the next two steps the "update not applicable" error shouldn't be a trouble, just skip to the next step then).
    5. Download and install KB3173424. Reboot.
    6. Same with KB3172614. Reboot.
    7. Go to Windows updater and press look for updates, update your PC to the fullest without interruptions. If it takes a few min to find any updates - it's ok, it still finds them in the end. In the end, it should say again that your PC is fully up to date (it lied before, apparently).
    8. Return to Launcher directory, find those those redist files from the step .1 and install them right there.
    9. Reboot, play.

Alternatively, some people solve their problems by running cmd (command line of the registry) as admins and typing "sfc/scannow" command. It then searches your PC for errors and repairs them, if possible. It is said to work in some cases when normal user interface can't guide you to proper fixing, but it still didn't help me. It takes time, you'll see a percentage indicator of scanning process. If you don't know how to run cmd as admin, type "cmd" in your ctrl+Q tool and find "run as administrator" in additional options. The black window of cmd must now open as "administrator blabla".

Good luck.
    Can't wait to get to all the other bugs that wait ingame!
    Isavier wrote: »
    +1

Windows 8.1, pi-ma-win-crt-heap-l1-1-0.dll missing error, my system says it has all updates installed, the C++ is up to date, I get no changes from all the update links provided in relation to this ESO problem.

Nothing helps, so far.

This has never happened to me before, but exactly since the yesterday's update, I can't log in anymore. Rebooting, reinstalling components, etc didn't work. Full repair neither.

Edited by Isavier on February 7, 2017 5:50PM
    Options
  • Livvy
    Livvy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still no fix for the Crash Reporter popup when pressing "Play" on the launcher. And support has been absolutely no help. They're even trying to help me with the wrong issue.

This is truly BEYOND frustrating. :'( At this rate, I'm thinking it was a mistake to pre-order Morrowind.
    ->--Willow--<-
    Options
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    For those who have submitted a ticket with Support but aren't getting the help you need, please make sure you are replying directly to the ticket rather than submitting a new one. Also, if you haven't done so already, we suggest sending your Game Consultant file to Support.

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6690/
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Livvy
    Livvy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those who have submitted a ticket with Support but aren't getting the help you need, please make sure you are replying directly to the ticket rather than submitting a new one. Also, if you haven't done so already, we suggest sending your Game Consultant file to Support.

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6690/

I've replied the right way every time. I've given them multiple game consultant files. In regard to getting better support, none of it seems to matter.
    ->--Willow--<-
    Options
  • Elderkhaj14
    The system for getting support seems to have been changed....it used to be done by email but now it only "web support" on the support page. I do not seem to have even got an acknowledgement that I sent asking for support... so how do I reply to a ticket that I never even had an email about in the first place....this is getting frustrating.... sigh
    Options
  • huffmichaelab14_ESO
    I FIXED MY ISSUE!!!

So, first of all, thank you to @ZOS_GinaBruno for anything you might have done to get support to reply to me even though I didn't meet the requirements. It turns out that my personal "Black Screen Crash" issue had nothing to do with system requirements!

During my personal research over the last 24 hours, I vaguely remembered a post talking about "optional updates" for Windows. When I checked my own computer, even though Windows was "completely up to date," there were still optional updates to be installed. Once I installed these updates, everything worked fine.

Most likely, had my first customer support ticket been addressed, we could have quickly figured this out rather than a lot of frustration on both ends. I have sent copies of both my broken and fixed Game Consultant reports to Support in case that can help them to provide better service in the future. Please do not turn away others who do not meet requirements before checking if they are having the same issue!!! Thank you!
    Options
  • JWKe
    JWKe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed the game is crashing all over the place right now. Also I'm not on steam.
    Options
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    I FIXED MY ISSUE!!!

So, first of all, thank you to @ZOS_GinaBruno for anything you might have done to get support to reply to me even though I didn't meet the requirements. It turns out that my personal "Black Screen Crash" issue had nothing to do with system requirements!

During my personal research over the last 24 hours, I vaguely remembered a post talking about "optional updates" for Windows. When I checked my own computer, even though Windows was "completely up to date," there were still optional updates to be installed. Once I installed these updates, everything worked fine.

Most likely, had my first customer support ticket been addressed, we could have quickly figured this out rather than a lot of frustration on both ends. I have sent copies of both my broken and fixed Game Consultant reports to Support in case that can help them to provide better service in the future. Please do not turn away others who do not meet requirements before checking if they are having the same issue!!! Thank you!

Do you remember what the optional update was, by chance?
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Options
    Staff Post
  • huffmichaelab14_ESO
    I FIXED MY ISSUE!!!

@ZOS_GinaBruno - My update history shows the following for today:

INTEL - System - 10/3/2016 12:00:00 AM - 10.1.1.38
    Intel - Other hardware - Inter(R) Management Engine Interface
    Intel Corporation - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3, Intel(R) Iris(TM) Graphics 5100
    INTEL - System 10/3/2016 12:00:00 AM - 10.1.1.38

If support needs any further assistance from me, I'm happy to help ;)
    Options
  • Livvy
    Livvy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I FIXED MY ISSUE!!!

Intel Corporation - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3, Intel(R) Iris(TM) Graphics 5100

Oh...my...gosh... I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you thank you thank you, this fixed my issue!!!!!!!!

I had to actually find it, and then find a roundabout way of installing it by disabling drivers, and then disabling driver signature enforcement, and then installing as administrator. Because it would give me a message saying it couldn't install due to minimum requirements. But it finally would install after all of that, and I got past the launcher!

Seriously... THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have no idea how thankful I am.
    ->--Willow--<-
    Options
  • huffmichaelab14_ESO
    @Livvy So glad it worked for you!
    Options
  • Ghulfield
    Ghulfield
    ✭✭
    I FIXED MY ISSUE!!!

Thank you SO much for suggesting this!

I also had the mentioned Intel driver as an optional update which would not install. My notebook has an Intel/nVidia combination, but the game crashed even when I explicitely started it with the nVidia chip.
    However, I just de-installed the intel driver in the device manager (which gave me a blank screen), rebooted, and the game is working now. So it must be some messed-up Intel driver installation that causes TESO to crash.
    Options
  • Ghulfield
    Ghulfield
    ✭✭
    I FIXED MY ISSUE!!!

Thank you Gina, personally, for asking the right question at the right time. This solved the problem for me as you can see from my other post. But I have to say I am really *not* impressed by the quality of the Zenimax support - in many cases the people answering did not even bother to read through the thread (which was obvious from their answer). It seems to me that too few people have to process too many tickets in too little time which would make the level of the answers plausible. I have been working in IT for 30 years now so I think I have some idea what I can reasonably expect from a support team.
    Edited by Ghulfield on February 8, 2017 12:53AM
    Options
  • Atherol
    Atherol
    ✭✭
    Hi Gina,

In a previous posting I indicated that for windows 7 you must install every "optional upgrade" available to fix
    the problem. I tried every other route before and nothing worked. I guess your game developers/techs will
    have to figure which specific update(s) solved the issue. I have a PC/laptop that meets all specs. I'll gladly
    help you if you need it so other players can get back to play this great game.

Sincerely,

Atherol
    I FIXED MY ISSUE!!!

Hi Gina,

In a previous posting I indicated that for windows 7 you must install every "optional upgrade" available to fix
    the problem. I tried every other route before and nothing worked.

Sincerely,

Atherol
    Options
  • huffmichaelab14_ESO
    @Atherol - yours was the post I saw! Thanks!
    Options
  • Elderkhaj14
    Seems like my windows update is also broke and all the fixits and tools don't and wont well.. FIX IT.
    Guess i might have to upgrade to windows 10 as a last resort. :(
    Options
  • melek-taus
    melek-taus
    ✭✭✭
    I also have the balck screen error but on a desktop.

After selecting my character I see the Deshaan loading screen but then the ESO logo stops spinning and the loading screen turns black and when I ALT TAB I see the ESO crash report.

I tried repairing the game. Loading the 32 bit or 64 bit client does not change anything. I even changed settings in the user file to no avail. I also changed the settings back to original.

I have a desktop PC with an i5 4570 so integrated graphics driver cannot be a problem as it is disabled due to the fact I use a dedicated graphics card. Meaning I cannot run the Intel graphics driver update as it is not turned on and disabled.

Updated the AMD driver for my R9 380 and even swapped the card for a GTX1060 and used the original NVIDIA CD driver and updated driver.

Windows 7 updates are turned off and I haven't updated anything in the last couple of months. The game worked after Homestead update but the next day I could not get into game anymore. I doubt Windows update will solve this seeing as I did not update anything for the bug to happen. The only update was Homestead but as stated it worked the first time.

Launching using admin mode/ compatibility mode does not solve anything.

I tried to update the DirectX and the other driver and even tried to install the mentioned Windows KB... update but everything was up to date and not updates were needed.

I doubt this is a problem with my computer or software as nothing changed, I did not update anything but suddenly the game just does no start. This would mean that there is a huge bug in the Homestead patch.
    Please help me solve this as I wanted to buy some Crowns to buy some clothing but now I have my doubts about spending more money on this game.
    EU/PC
    Malek Taus - VR16 Khajit Stamina GankKnight -

Will gank for Skooma....
    Options
  • Atherol
    Atherol
    ✭✭
    Hi,

My humble advice is that you let windows 7 update itself including all the optional
    updates. It seems that ZOZ changed something in the program so you need to do
    a full update. It is also clear that the dev/tech have not figure out yet which specific
    update(s) are needed to get the game running again. My game before the last update
    was running for many months without a hitch, other than some bad lagging at times.

Best,

Atherol

melek-taus wrote: »

After selecting my character I see the Deshaan loading screen but then the ESO logo stops spinning and the loading screen turns black and when I ALT TAB I see the ESO crash report.

I tried repairing the game. Loading the 32 bit or 64 bit client does not change anything. I even changed settings in the user file to no avail. I also changed the settings back to original.

I have a desktop PC with an i5 4570 so integrated graphics driver cannot be a problem as it is disabled due to the fact I use a dedicated graphics card. Meaning I cannot run the Intel graphics driver update as it is not turned on and disabled.

Updated the AMD driver for my R9 380 and even swapped the card for a GTX1060 and used the original NVIDIA CD driver and updated driver.

Windows 7 updates are turned off and I haven't updated anything in the last couple of months. The game worked after Homestead update but the next day I could not get into game anymore. I doubt Windows update will solve this seeing as I did not update anything for the bug to happen. The only update was Homestead but as stated it worked the first time.

I tried to update the DirectX and the other driver and even tried to install the mentioned Windows KB... update but everything was up to date and not updates were needed.

I doubt this is a problem with my computer or software as nothing changed, I did not update anything but suddenly the game just does no start. This would mean that there is a huge bug in the Homestead patch.
    Please help me solve this as I wanted to buy some Crowns to buy some clothing but now I have my doubts about spending more money on this game.

Options
  • melek-taus
    melek-taus
    ✭✭✭
    Atherol wrote: »
    Hi,

My humble advice is that you let windows 7 update itself including all the optional
    updates. It seems that ZOZ changed something in the program so you need to do
    a full update. It is also clear that the dev/tech have not figure out yet which specific
    update(s) are needed to get the game running again. My game before the last update
    was running for many months without a hitch, other than some bad lagging at times.

Best,

Atherol

melek-taus wrote: »

Installed every Windows 7 update available the only ones left are the optional language updates but the game still crahses after the character load screen. Just wasted hours on updating Windows...ZOS....WTF.....

Update:

I got the game to work again. updated the R9 380 to version 16.12.2 instead 17.x.x and disabled every addon. Ingame I enabled the addons but forgot Master Merchant but tried enabling it made the game crash again. Now I have to disable Master Merchant to load into the game.....
    Edited by melek-taus on February 8, 2017 11:23PM
    EU/PC
    Malek Taus - VR16 Khajit Stamina GankKnight -

Will gank for Skooma....
    Options
  • orangybrownub17_ESO
    orangybrownub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven

Thank you! This fixed my insta-crash-with-no-error-message-on-startup problem. I'm not sure which update it was, I thought it was the graphics adapter one you have listed, but I don't think that one ever installed properly (it might have installed as part of a larger update from intel that failed to completely install).
    Options
  • Ghulfield
    Ghulfield
    ✭✭
    Looks like most people got their game to work by now, that´s nice.
    Is there still someone with a broken game?

I have to say that Zenimax´ policy of not providing support to people with mobile graphics chips is completely inacceptable. This might have been understandable in 2014 when only few chips were around that provided an acceptable performance. The minimum requirements are listed as nVidia GTX 460, and now, in 2017, many, many mobile chips outperform the GTX 460 by factors.

Also, a gaming notebook always has a fixed and tested hardware and in most cases the same Windows installation, while in desktop PCs you can find all kinds of combinations of graphics hardware and mainboard. Therefore I do not understand why mobile chips should be so difficult to support (one could, maybe, exclude framerate issues).

Zenimax - please reconsider your policy!
    Or at least be so honest to write in your minimum system requirements ( https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/store#requirements ) that you not provide support for mobile chips.
    Edited by Ghulfield on February 9, 2017 1:42PM
    Options
  • Rhook
    Rhook
    Soul Shriven
    Still not working for me. Tried everything. extremely frustrated and I have the feeling I wont' be returning to the game because of this
    Options
  • Djem
    Djem
    ✭✭✭
    Tried a bunch of things, still not working. About a month or two ago, before the latest updates, I was able to play the game without issue. I was thinking of giving this game another shot but I guess not lol. Next time try not rolling out a patch when people on PTR have been reporting a crash issue that makes the game unplayable a month in advance
    Glarthir is crazy. Maybe harmless crazy, maybe not.

Dunmer Nightblade, Ebonheart Pact, EU PC Megaserver.
    Options
  • Elderkhaj14
    Rhook wrote: »
    Still not working for me. Tried everything. extremely frustrated and I have the feeling I wont' be returning to the game because of this

Yip seems so for me also.. only card I have left is an upgrade to Windows 10 and hope whatever version I get updates correctly.
    My system outperforms all the minimum specs by a long shot. Can play Guild wars 2 and even wow on ultra high settings with 60-70 FPS with 20-30 players and bosses with mobs on screen at the same time so I think the "minimum spec argument" is not the issue. I have even heard of folks playing the game with Alienware i 7 machines with mega GPU's that are not getting that good frame rates in ESO as I was .. kind of makes me wonder where the real issue is here...

Oh and guess who bought a shiny new 27 inch monitor to play ESO with a month ago.... :'(

Options
  • Ghulfield
    Ghulfield
    ✭✭
    Rhook wrote: »

Yip seems so for me also.. only card I have left is an upgrade to Windows 10 and hope whatever version I get updates correctly.
    My system outperforms all the minimum specs by a long shot. Can play Guild wars 2 and even wow on ultra high settings with 60-70 FPS with 20-30 players and bosses with mobs on screen at the same time so I think the "minimum spec argument" is not the issue. I have even heard of folks playing the game with Alienware i 7 machines with mega GPU's that are not getting that good frame rates in ESO as I was .. kind of makes me wonder where the real issue is here...

Oh and guess who bought a shiny new 27 inch monitor to play ESO with a month ago.... :'(

Iknow exactly how you feel... felt like that two days ago, and yes, an upgrade to Win10 also would have been my last straw. Another option is to test with an extra hard disk and a fresh Win7 installation first (this might verify if it´s a driver or a hardware issue).

Before you do that: in case you have 2 chips on board - did you try replacing the driver of the desktop chip (the stuff with the intel drivers mentioned above)?
    Options
  • Elderkhaj14

[/quote]

I know exactly how you feel... felt like that two days ago, and yes, an upgrade to Win10 also would have been my last straw. Another option is to test with an extra hard disk and a fresh Win7 installation first (this might verify if it´s a driver or a hardware issue).

Before you do that: in case you have 2 chips on board - did you try replacing the driver of the desktop chip (the stuff with the intel drivers mentioned above)?[/quote]

Hey Ghul.. My rig is not intel based alas its ASUS and AMD (amd phenom ii x4 965 black edition) and was almost £130 just for the processor when I bought this rig. It is now overclocked to 3.85 Ghz with arctic cooling 16GB of DDR3 RAM also overclocked to 1600Mhz and dedicated 1 GB HD GPU.

The average frame rate on ESO in busy zones in town was 45-65 FPS. Out in the wilds was anything from 75- 100 with grass LOD ambient occlusion light rays reflections on and the sliders set at mid point. Game worked perfectly for almost 3 years....apart from the launch pad which has been an unmitigated PITA to such an extent that I have been logging in via the client .exe and only using the LP for updates.

So question is.. did ZOS use a windows 10 SDK to make the new content without even making sure it would be reverse compatible to older platforms without forcing complete OS re installs or indeed a total reinstall or upgrade and if so why was the issue of the missing DLL pushed to live in the first place when it was known problem?

This is similar to what happened in Everquest 2 when a botched update made the game unplayable for anyone using other than the most bleeding edge OS and hardware... just around the time of the "Shadowknight" Odyssey if I remember correctly. Memory leaks and crashing mid zone made the game unplayable for me and many of my fellow Norrathians.

The developers on Ever quest 2 had to fix the issue and eventually the game was playable again. I am hoping that the same will be the case here and that ZOS will do the honorable thing and release an update that will install the needed files to make game playable again or at least offer a definite answer as to what folks need to do to get back into the game if this is not possible. I think that this should be offered to ESO plus members who actually PAY every month to play this game... should not enhanced support be part of the deal....? (waits for the angry backlash from the FTP crowd ... ;)

Paws crossed....

Options
  • Djem
    Djem
    ✭✭✭
    I think that this should be offered to ESO plus members who actually PAY every month to play this game... should not enhanced support be part of the deal....? (waits for the angry backlash from the FTP crowd ... ;)

Paws crossed....

As long as they are actually able to solve the problem who cares if they only directly share it with subscribers lol

They would have to actually solve it in the first place for that to happen
    Glarthir is crazy. Maybe harmless crazy, maybe not.

Dunmer Nightblade, Ebonheart Pact, EU PC Megaserver.
    Options