Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Introducing Homestead"

• Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    Twilanthe wrote: »
    Please please please please add a ship as an option for a house!
    Also adding Inns or shops would be awesome
    and other interesting and unique locations. Seaside or mountain caves, underground tunnels, etc.

But PLEASE add a ship! <3

Yes! By all means, please add a Ship! That is, allow a player to buy a small, medium, or large Ship instead of, or in addition to, a Homestead(!). The Ship would, presumably, be docked or anchored somewhere, and it would be immobile. But in all other respects, it could have the same features as a Homestead of the corresponding size.

Players have already requested Guildhalls which will enable far more than just 24 characters to be present at the same time. In return, a Guildhall could have a limited amount of decor (e.g., no crafting work-stations). Just how many Guildhalls would be needed depends, of course, upon the number of Guilds (at most), and how many are likely to use their guild funds to purchase a Guildhall. Would you leave that decision up to the Guildmaster? Perhaps there could be an option for two or more Guilds to purchase a Guildhall which they can share.

Having a "house" that is an Inn or a Shop would be an interesting alternative. A player could buy a Homestead to use as a residence, and buy an Inn and/or a Shop at "another location" for other activities.

Better yet, have a small (?) house with a medium-sized (?) inn at the same site. Have a standing invitation for friends and/or guild-mates to visit the inn, but keep visitors to the house by immediate invitation only. Or we could have a combination of a medium-sized (?) house with a small (?) shop at the same site.

An Inn could have the usual features, such as a Cooking Fire, a Chef, a Brewer, and a Bard. Maybe we would also need a Bouncer. :-)

As to a Shop, I don't think it should be a place where characters can buy or sell items which are kept there, although two characters can effect a Trade anywhere they are together if they are not in combat. But it could be a good idea to use a Shop for crafting workstations. If another player wants your Crafting character to make gear or consumables for their character to equip or use, then you would have a place to meet and to receive materials, make the products, and trade them in exchange for the Coin. :-)

As with a Homestead, any player should be able to access a Personal Banker or Personal Merchant while visiting a Ship, Guildhall, Inn, or Shop as they can under the current operation of those "servants".

NOTE: neither a Ship, Guildhall, Inn, nor Shop option would necessarily need different Race-related "styles". Perhaps Z.O. could make the architectural style depend upon the zone, or area of a zone, where the ship or building is located. That is, they would have the same architecture as other buildings and ships in the area where they are located. There could also be a "neutral" style that can be chosen instead. There could also be an Imperial style for Ships, Guildhalls, Inns, and Shops as there is in the game for Homesteads.

Enjoy!!

Edited by Shadowshire on December 26, 2016 3:38AM
    --- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    AdamBourke wrote: »

Like the ESO crafting bag - you can only remove things if your subscription lapses (until you get back under the cap). It's a pretty good analogy...

That is not what @ZOS_GinaBruno wrote. Please learn how to read so that you don't put your words into another person's mouth. What you wrote might, or might not, be the way that the furniture capacity for Homesteads work for players who are ESO Plus members and let the subscription lapse. Let us hope it does work that way when a subscription lapses.

Consider what happens when Z.O. has a problem billing the associated account and suspends the subscription benefits. Or Z.O. loses the account data completely and takes six months to resolve the problem. That happened to an acquaintance before ESO became "free to play". Since ZOS eventually did restore his access to the game (with his position relatively unscathed), he has bought each and every DLC . So he can have access to all of the content even if Z.O. messes-up his subscription again. It could happen to any of us, it's only a matter of time.

• Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Osteos wrote: »
    Thanks @Elder_III and @Krainor1974 , we'll bbq soon :)

Mammoth stakes and some mead.
    B)

Your use of the word "stake" (a long, narrow piece of wood or metal) instead of "steak" (part of an edible animal carcass) can be rather amusing to those who know the difference. The forum software has a "spellcheck" feature with an inadequate dictionary, but both "stake" and "steak" are spelled correctly -- they just mean entirely different things. :smile::smile::smile:

• Dracindo
    Dracindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm patiently waiting for it. ^.=.^

Quick question I might've missed: There's no upgrading right? You can immediatly buy the Large houses, and you don't have to spend on Small and Medium in order to get to large right?
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno I spent a few hours exploring the different zones and finding most of the houses that will be available.

"Later down the road, there will also be a few special properties that are exclusive to the Crown Store, including a luxurious island retreat."

I really love the house in Stros M'kai that seems to be on it's own island, is that the luxurious island retreat you are referring to? And if so how much later down the road with it be available to purchase? That is the house I want and I would like to know how long I will have to wait to be able to purchase that house? Please respond.

I was re-reading this and got this far so Idk if you have been answered but stros mkai does have a player house on it. You can even go check it out now. But only from outside the gate.
  • Osteos
    Osteos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dracindo There's no upgrading, if you can afford the large house you can buy it right away.
    DAGGERFALL COVENANT
    NA PC
    Former Vehemence Member
    Onistka Valerius <> Artemis Renault <> Gonk gra-Ugrash <> Karietta <> Zercon at-Rusa <> Genevieve Renault <> Ktaka <> Brenlyn Renault
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can buy as many houses as you can pay for
  • cathyshively101b14_ESO
    With each month and year as we all enjoy such a wonderful game, I look forward to each exciting change. I'm so greatful to be a very patient person. It allows me to enjoy and be excited over new game content and tweaks where it's needed. No game is flawless. But what a beautiful wonderful game ESO IS! The good always overshadows the not so good that eventually get handled as time moves forward. Homesteading is going to be awesome! Thanks for all you do for those dedicated to creating such a wonderful gaming world and an incredible storyline! Hats off from my family to the ESO family!
  • Vorkrunne
    Vorkrunne
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't look forward to Christmas half as much as the PTS patch notes coming out today

*feeling of traveling to Disney as a kid, multiplied by 1k*
  • aria230
    aria230
    ✭✭
    Tamriel's best interior designer? I can't imagine the lag I'll get , nop! But I have the whole guild of Godspeed lined up, asking me to decorate their homes when it launches :D . I'm not even an interior designer, I've studied urban planing in college and decided to be a painter instead. But hey, I get to decide how the homes of my friends look and I'm cool with that :p . *Rolls up sleeves, puts -Architect- cap on*.
    Edited by aria230 on January 4, 2017 6:39PM
  • davidmcjamesrwb17_ESO
    davidmcjamesrwb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Can houses be sold back to the bank? Say you decide you don't like the one you have or want to use the money from a sale to add to recent savings to buy a bigger house? (Just like we do IRL)
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can houses be sold back to the bank? Say you decide you don't like the one you have or want to use the money from a sale to add to recent savings to buy a bigger house? (Just like we do IRL)
    It doesn't look like it. Since they are account-wide and essentially considered Collectibles, I don't think that would work.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Mercutio
    Mercutio
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mercutio wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno color me impressed. I cannot wait to dive into this.

While maybe you can't give specifics, will there be PvE benefits associated with housing/furniture? For all its faults WildStar had a really great housing system. Can we expect the UI to be as accessible as the one in Wild* was?

Thank you for your time.

What do you mean, exactly, by "PvE benefits"?? (Why not PvP benefits, too?)

If you mean that because you own a house, then one or more of your characters has a "special" ability or passive that helps them kill, avoid being killed, move faster, jump higher, or can buy a helicopter and fly?? If so, then what an assinine idea!

Give.Us.A.Break...Will.You?

If you are not knowledgeable about PvE mechanics of housing in different MMORPGs I certainly don't have the inclination to educate you.
    The problem with arguing with a jackass is that they never stop braying.
    #DwemerLife
  • Mercutio
    Mercutio
    ✭✭✭✭
    Will Dwemer housing be in the Crown Crates?
    #DwemerLife
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS where is my minion/prisoner in chains in the dungeon of my home?!?!!!!?!?
  • greyroyce
    greyroyce
    Soul Shriven
    Well I have looked at the PTS and came to a conclusion: If the player homes do not come with free storage then for the most part it's just going to be a huge waste of gold or crowns. I have heard storage is coming late in the year but have not seen any official word in writing yet and no mention, will it be free or in keeping with all other Zenimax creations will it come with crazy costs?
  • Mercutio
    Mercutio
    ✭✭✭✭
    greyroyce wrote: »
    Well I have looked at the PTS and came to a conclusion: If the player homes do not come with free storage then for the most part it's just going to be a huge waste of gold or crowns. I have heard storage is coming late in the year but have not seen any official word in writing yet and no mention, will it be free or in keeping with all other Zenimax creations will it come with crazy costs?

I know they went the SWtOR model on housing, which isn't a bad choice in an of itself. However I think a lot of people share your outlook.

Were they to make some minor QoL adjustments, like food or drink made in a home last 10% longer, or finally give resting XP to non-CP characters if they logged out in a house with a bed in it (maybe 5% at a rate similar to the CP bonus), I think they would sell even better than they most likely already will.
    #DwemerLife
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

One positive aspect... When they add storage in houses, if they ever add storage in houses, the houses will still be there. They are not a rare commodity and it is not necessary to grab a house in the first few hours, or you are sunk.

I am almost sure that they do not want people going crazy with storage space in houses. Anything they do add will either abandon the whole idea of limiting player storage space, and negate the need for the ESO Plus Crafting Bag, or the space will be limited, or expensive, possibly both.

I figure there is too much revenue potential tied up in inventory expansion, so I lean towards "expensive" first, with a side of "limited", and no guarantee that it will have anything to do with housing.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • SarenaRose82281
    SarenaRose82281
    Soul Shriven
    I personally love the idea of and am looking forward to housing. I know that storage is a huge thing for people. I feel that in ESO I do not need it nearly as much due to the fact that our inventory is not based on weight. Thinking back on my days in EQ2 and being bogged down so much by weight trying to get to a vendor, a bank or my house at a very slow crawl was time consuming.

One thing I did love about my home in EQ2 was that I could purchase the tables I needed for crafting and there was a board in my home where I could access the auction house through it. It would be awesome if we could access new writs through our home like that.

I am anxious to know how much these homes will cost as well.

Unfortunately, with any decision a DEV makes, not everyone will be pleased. And every single person seems to feel that their particular opinion is the opinion of the majority. Working in customer service I experience that every single day. That being said, if in-home storage becomes available in the future it will make a lot of people extremely happy. But in the mean time, as long as it is affordable, I will enjoy decorating and making it my very own.
  • Almakor
    Almakor
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see what's so great if it doesn't give you more storage space. I'm actually experiencing that in RL with all my books and video games.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love this update, but I don't think I'll buy a house just yet, maybe an apartment once I see the furnished samples.

I would like a ship as a home.

I would like my pets and/or alts and/or collectible npcs (banker, vendor, fencer, bard) to roam/idle on the deck or the inside of that ship.

I don't care if I can't have a forge, I don't mind going to town to craft (although tables of enchanting and alchemy should fit on a ship).

I am willing to craft, quest, and pay (a ridiculous amount) of crowns for this kind of house. It doesn't even have to sail, just forever anchored in a major port city and I will be peachy keen.
    Edited by max_only on January 7, 2017 2:27AM
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Mercutio
    Mercutio
    ✭✭✭✭
    A ship is a great idea.

Maybe a lore expert can help me out: what about a Dwemer Zeppelin? I don't know if they ever created those, but given their steampunk aesthetic I can easily envision it.
    #DwemerLife
  • opaj
    opaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Mercutio -- A Dwemer airship appears in Morrowind's Bloodmoon expansion, the remains of which can again be found in Skyrim's Dragonborn DLC. That particular instance is less "zeppelin" and more "boat with a balloon and a bunch of Dwemer motor bits attached", but it just might fit the bill.
  • Mercutio
    Mercutio
    ✭✭✭✭
    opaj wrote: »
    @Mercutio -- A Dwemer airship appears in Morrowind's Bloodmoon expansion, the remains of which can again be found in Skyrim's Dragonborn DLC. That particular instance is less "zeppelin" and more "boat with a balloon and a bunch of Dwemer motor bits attached", but it just might fit the bill.

Awesome man thank you!
    #DwemerLife
  • Victoria_Marquis
    Victoria_Marquis
    ✭✭✭
    We would like to order an Auction House in our home so we can shop at home and not ever go outside
  • PriorityBalle
    PriorityBalle
    ✭✭✭
    Vvardenfell DLC hype pls
    Pedin i phith in aníron, a nin ú-cheniathog

• greyroyce
    greyroyce
    Soul Shriven
    Well I keep looking at the PTS and trying to find an upside but I can't at this point. No storage, you can sit in a chair or turn a fireplace or light on and off, Oh Boy. You can place your mounts or pets that may be a plus for some people. You can place your Merchant or Banker if you have one but I can do that anywhere now, well except to Cyridiil. You can have people over again what's the benefit in that? We can all meet just about anywhere and talk on TS.

To see me they are going to need to have some benefit beside another place to FT too.
    Sorry! If someone can find something that I'm not seeing I'd love to know about it.
  • Gracous
    Gracous
    ✭✭✭
    Housing without storage is pointless.
    Well I keep looking at the PTS and trying to find an upside but I can't at this point. No storage, you can sit in a chair or turn a fireplace or light on and off, Oh Boy. You can place your mounts or pets that may be a plus for some people. You can place your Merchant or Banker if you have one but I can do that anywhere now, well except to Cyridiil. You can have people over again what's the benefit in that? We can all meet just about anywhere and talk on TS.

To see me they are going to need to have some benefit beside another place to FT too.
    Sorry! If someone can find something that I'm not seeing I'd love to know about it.

Agreed! No storage in your house? What's the point?! Even if storage comes later it will most likely be a huge cost to the players.
  • StoneSilence
    StoneSilence
    ✭✭✭

Just FYI, you cannot even add all your mounts/pets. There is a limit of 5 after which you get an error message about not being able to add any more items of the "other" type, so can't even fill the stables of the larger properties.
  • CrunchyCookie
    I would not be opposed to pay more for a house as long as storage is part of it even if they charge to expand capacity.
    Crafting tables, Mannequins and Weapon racks would be nice just like in Skyrim and Fallout.