The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Official Discussion Thread for "Introducing Homestead"

• Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Docmandu wrote: »
    Kind of find it a pity it's all instanced. Would have been way cooler to have a separate city with buyable houses. What's the point in decorating your house when nobody will ever see it.
    I don't get it. How would you ever fit tens of thousands of houses in one place? And how jarring it would look with a mix of ten racial styles all together.
  • Mercutio
    Mercutio
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_RichLambert can you state if there will be some sort of PvE bonuses introduced with housing, i.e. purchase of a bed will grant rested XP, things along those lines? Or will this be purely cosmetic?
    The problem with arguing with a jackass is that they never stop braying.
    #DwemerLife
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mercutio wrote: »
    @ZOS_RichLambert can you state if there will be some sort of PvE bonuses introduced with housing, i.e. purchase of a bed will grant rested XP, things along those lines? Or will this be purely cosmetic?

Rested XP was discussed in the interview, and they said that enlightenment is the rested bonus so that won't be changed. The PVE advantage I noticed was the free travel to any of your homes/friends homes.
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • bottleofsyrup
    bottleofsyrup
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Franieck wrote: »
    Is that all that will be coming next update? No new motifs or sets? :(

We likely won't know that until it's on the PTS. I don't think we knew for sure about One Tamriel's motifs until the PTS, though most people figured Yokudan and Celestial would be two of them anyway. If I had to guess, though, I would say no new motifs because there isn't really anywhere new to put them, but I'm fine with that because I'm not even halfway done learning last update's motifs. :D Plus we're getting Skinchanger and Stahlrim (if that counts since it's not farmable) in about a week.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    Kind of find it a pity it's all instanced. Would have been way cooler to have a separate city with buyable houses. What's the point in decorating your house when nobody will ever see it.
    I don't get it. How would you ever fit tens of thousands of houses in one place? And how jarring it would look with a mix of ten racial styles all together.
    If I understand what Docmandu was after, it wouldn't have been quite like that. Imagine a small zone, comprised entirely of a city like Wayrest or Abah's Landing. In the north of this city-zone, would be a neighbourhood of, say, 48 small Breton houses, in the west, a neighbourhood of 24 medium Breton houses, and in the east, a neighbourhood of 12 or so large Breton houses. We'll call this city-zone Anticlere. Repeat that with exactly the same configuration, and call it Glenpoint. Do it again, and call it Dwynnen. Next, use the same setup, but fill it with Redguard houses, and call it Abibon-Gora. And Antiphyllos. And Pothago. Eventually you'll end up with a load of city-zones, each one filled with houses of one racial style. If all the houses are taken, ZOS spins up another copy and gives it another name. Out of Breton houses? Spin up Kambria. Alternatively, there could only be one city-zone per racial style, and you just get instanced copies of that zone, but that would probably mean that the only houses you could visit would be other ones in your instance of the housing zone.

Since ZOS are trying to keep people together, I imagine this was not a favoured option, as having all those different housing zones just splits up the player base again.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Mercutio
    Mercutio
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jim_Pipp wrote: »
    Mercutio wrote: »

Rested XP was discussed in the interview, and they said that enlightenment is the rested bonus so that won't be changed. The PVE advantage I noticed was the free travel to any of your homes/friends homes.

Thank you, Jim.

The convenience of having crafting stations (maybe dye station as well?) in one central location is reason enough for me to purchase it. Sounds like this will be more in the vein of SWtOR than Wild Star, which is perfectly fine.

If a dev does read this at some future point:
    • A cooking station makes food last 10% longer.
    • A bar makes drinks last 10% longer.
    • Crafting stations make items 10% more durable.

Things along those lines would be a nice touch.
    The problem with arguing with a jackass is that they never stop braying.
    #DwemerLife
  • AdamBourke
    AdamBourke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ListerJMC wrote: »
    *Hopes desperately for an Eyevea option even though I'm sure there won't be :'(*

I'm interested to see the list of locations and the pricing on them all.

There HAS TO BE an Eyevea option......

I'd like to see an Eyevea option, just so that I can finally have it show up on my map again!
    PS4 - EU

Please put the Eyevea/EarthForge wayshrines back on the map?
  • itehache
    itehache
    ✭✭✭✭
    The houses are stunning, and the decorative items fit perfectly. I really love the work you guys made there.

I am really exited about the skeleton dummy, I will finally be able to test different builds properly!

I was hoping to get more storage possibilities, mannequins etc, but I already saw some posts where you said we won't get any. That's the only downside for me with this update.

What I like the most is that the dlc will be achievement based, so I will probably have to complete more achievements than the ones I have to get cool stuff for my house. In a recent post I was actually comenting this; I wanted better rewards from achievements, and I think housing will have them.

Keep up the good work, i cant wait to get a house :smile:
  • deleted008293
    deleted008293
    ✭✭✭✭
    In the same manner as Homestead DLC Have you considered allowing players or guilds to actually create their own delves/dungeons and invite braving adventurers to explore an unique player made dungeon? Maybe some of the most awesome creations could become a permanent dungeon in the game at a later time?

Disappointing that chests are only decorative and not an extension to the bank.
    Also I was hoping we could craft armor and put it on display for later use or just as a decorative element.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    f047ys3v3n wrote: »
    4. "All unfurnished homes that you can purchase for in-game gold will also be available for purchase with crowns"
    "there will also be a few special properties that are exclusive to the Crown Store, including a luxurious island retreat."

So, we have gone from homes will be purchasable with gold and probably a few crown homes down the road to all homes can be bought with crowns and a few peasant ones with gold as well.

With the exception of the "few special properties," all homes will be purchasable with gold. Not just "a few peasant ones." The difference will be that the crown-bought versions will come pre-stocked with whatever furniture and decor they decide to throw in there. Which is convenient for someone who doesn't want to spend the time collecting and placing their own stuff, but frankly I'd rather be able to decide what goes into my house than have someone else do it for me.

Different strokes and all, but the homes themselves are available to anyone regardless of what currency they use.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iselin wrote: »
    So is this small island, connected to the SE part of Port Hunding in Stros M'Kai by a bridge. THE crown store only island house mentioned in a couple of articles today? I walked up to the door and it does say "house" and it IS on an island.

230427c3-1aea-4cc6-b8f9-6db34b287f9e.jpg

9afbbc2c-f187-4023-80ea-856640fc3ca4.jpg

It is a nice place. I don't think it is The Island, but it could be. Just because they want to do The Island does not mean it is in the game already.

I do hope they fix the bridge system leading to that place there in Strohs. It is awkward.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    altemriel wrote: »

well it has to be instanced, otherwise you would have a place, with 3 million houses :smiley:

Yes, but doesn't mean everything / all had to be instanced... I'm sure if they wanted to they could have done it with less instancing. ie. have a city with 1000+ houses, and instance that one multiple times. Then you could try to out-do your direct neighbour with Xmas decorations :-)
  • pattyLtd
    pattyLtd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay free fast travel lol.

On a serious not i'm happy for everyone that's so excited about this update, personally i don't really see what it's use is gonna be but it's my first MMO and i'm probably wrong :)
    English is not my native language, no grammar police please, tyvm
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Most everything looks great ZOS and I'm looking forward to testing it out in January on the PTS. The only disappointment that I could see is not having any storage ability and the lack of Guild Halls. Certainly the Craglorn Cavern looks large enough to host guild events, but if there is a player cap then that might not be possible.
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks to me like they have set it up so any house could serve as a guild hall if you allow your guild members to have access. I believe they were thinking of this from day one and that it's built in even though not formally mentioned.
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • Reco
    Reco
    ✭✭✭
    I hope there will be an option to NOT allow any visits from my friendlist and guilds unless I specifically allow them on a case-by-case basis.

A home should be a home, not a tourist venue for hundreds of people from my trading guilds.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Giraffon wrote: »
    It looks to me like they have set it up so any house could serve as a guild hall if you allow your guild members to have access. I believe they were thinking of this from day one and that it's built in even though not formally mentioned.
    Agreed. Although I hope the larger houses will have a higher player cap than 24. Is 24 enough for a guildhall?
    Reco wrote: »
    I hope there will be an option to NOT allow any visits from my friendlist and guilds unless I specifically allow them on a case-by-case basis.

A home should be a home, not a tourist venue for hundreds of people from my trading guilds.
    I'm sure it will be optional. I'd like to have a house of my own and a house functioning as a guildhall.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • feyreisa12
    feyreisa12
    ✭✭
    we are looking at ways to add in additional storage space in the future.

YAY! I definitely agree about wanting places to display my armor sets. That was one of my favorite parts of Skyrim's homebuilding DLC. I love the idea of being able to display collectible items (including collectible fish). That would be fun. But first and foremost, love the Mannequins idea.

Think it's totally cool that you'll be able to invite friends into your home. That will be fun, as will be the target dummy.

Looking forward to even more creative and functional ideas for homes in future.
    NA PS4 - Whitehotwilson - Guildmaster, Crafters & Traders
    Galerial - C160 High Elf Sorc
  • Reco
    Reco
    ✭✭✭
    One of the nicest feelings about a home is you can store your own stuff loot Bind-on-Pickup gear. It's such a nice feeling.

Housing without the ability to store items in a cupboard or chest in the house, like in Skyrim, just isn't interesting to me. And I was so looking forward to housing. :(
    Edited by Reco on December 7, 2016 8:19PM
  • Reco
    Reco
    ✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    Just an armory for all those BoP sets we might want to try out one day, or are holding in case they ever get fixed (like Ice Furnace) would be an enormous help. And it wouldn't interfere with the utility of the crafting bag (and associated subs).
    THIS!
  • Reco
    Reco
    ✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    Hopefully they fight back with various 1 damage attacks. Many sets only proc with damage taken so with any luck they have thought of that angle.

In that case please only very weak attacks so that I dont have to self heal or shield and absolutely BY NO MEANS ANY CC! Otherwise the dummy loses its purpose.
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must say Im very happy of what Im seeing here. Good job on the housing introduction, it is going in the right direction.

I wish to share a thought for future. Would be great to have guild house where you could put a cyrodill map placed as a painting and see in real time the position of forts your guild claimed, as well as your guildmates position on the battleground. Could lead to some nice guild screenshots

Would be war campaign HQ style.

My 2 cents idea.
  • Coolio_Wolfus
    Coolio_Wolfus
    ✭✭✭
    Fix the Crown crates (Suggestion given in that thread) and I'll be all for this, sadly atm I'm still suffering the bitter aftertaste...
  • MikkeOfGreenRiver
    MikkeOfGreenRiver
    ✭✭✭
    I am very, very happy with the Homestead news. I had high hopes, and you guys surpassed them. I'm looking forward to this so much!
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We even have a little something for diligent Mages Guild scholars: copies of Shalidor's Library books, which can be placed as real books and read from your home, can be purchased from Mages Guild merchants after you've found and completed a set. (This is retroactive.) When Homestead launches, you'll be able to craft, test class builds, host parties and roleplay gatherings, and more – all from the comfort and convenience of your own home.

I was wondering if visitors to your home can learn from the books in your library?
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Megaservers: PC NA / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (sometimes)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Sharing My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    Charity:#GivingTheNewMeta
    ESO Calendarmancer: http://benevolentbowd.ca/calendar (10+ timezones to choose from)
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/BenevolentBowd
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so if i understand it correctly people can come to my home whenever they want. even if im apearing offline?

• silky_soft
    silky_soft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chests are just decorative; you won't be able to use them as an extension to your bank. You will be able to place a personal assistant in your home, though.

Just to expand on this some. Extra storage in your home is something we know a number of you would love. It's something we'd love as well, but when we looked at all of the things had to get in for the base system, we had to draw the line somewhere. Additional storage didn't make the cut.

That being said, we are looking at ways to add in additional storage space in the future.

boring
    Here $15, goat mount please. Not paying 45 : lol :
    Netch is free with a cleanse and free magika. You nerf siphon into the ground. Nice balance team.
    How do you go home every night and say, I did a great job at work today. You actually do your job properly.
    Step 1: roll templar. Step 2: level up jabs. Step 3: slap on weapon damage build. Step 4: que for bg. Step 5: leap...jabsjabsjabsjabs
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    silky_soft wrote: »
    Chests are just decorative; you won't be able to use them as an extension to your bank. You will be able to place a personal assistant in your home, though.

Just to expand on this some. Extra storage in your home is something we know a number of you would love. It's something we'd love as well, but when we looked at all of the things had to get in for the base system, we had to draw the line somewhere. Additional storage didn't make the cut.

That being said, we are looking at ways to add in additional storage space in the future.

boring

LOL, the most important thing, storage, and it didn't make the cut.

WTH??
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    altemriel wrote: »
    silky_soft wrote: »

boring

LOL, the most important thing, storage, and it didn't make the cut.

WTH??

It may not be the most important thing to ZOS... or to other players. Just because it is to you, doesn't require that of everyone.

I can't believe I have to keep saying this but...

... you don't get to decide what is important to other people.

Hopefully @Epona222 will forgive me for quoting them from another thread, but I couldn't think of a better way to put this:
    Epona222 wrote: »
    Tbh - all the people that say "there's no storage so there's no point" would be just as happy with additional inventory/bank upgrades as they would with housing. This upgrade isn't for you, it's for people like me. I am excited for housing itself.

If you only want storage from housing, then you don't want housing. You want an bank upgrade extension. Fine. All well and good. Feel free to campaign for that, heck I'd even get behind such a move given how many sets people are talking about holding onto these days. In the mean time can those of us who are going to delight in the housing system as is enjoy that without comments about "the most important thing"? Cheers.
    Edited by Iluvrien on December 8, 2016 11:07AM
  • ManwithBeard9
    ManwithBeard9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    so if i understand it correctly people can come to my home whenever they want. even if im apearing offline?

Only if you've previously given them permission, it would seem.