Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

About crownstore showcase (Crown Crafting Motif: Grim Harlequin)

• DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    lockator wrote: »
    Not to invoke the p2w debate butttt.......

For 5k crowns not many people will buy it. This means that a select few will be able to make serious gold out of paying for it with crowns and then selling gear, esp as seems a nice set.

Seems a shame and a slippery slope.

And if Zeni takes the obvious other route and binds anything in that style to the crafter's account, it's not very useful as an actual Motif.

If all the above were the case, all they'd be broadcasting is that they were part of the problem, not some cool achievement.

And I will reserve my judgement until we get the whole story, good or bad. Lotta ways this could be nothing to riot about, Lotta ways it could.

• Cazzy
    Cazzy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not surprised. Disappointed, but not surprised. This is just how things are now.
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cazzy wrote: »
    Not surprised. Disappointed, but not surprised. This is just how things are now.

Glad to see you're still lurking around here @Cazzy :)
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have no problem if this is a Crown Store only item. Why? Because I will gladly pay for something that I like and I know I don't have to gamble for.

Yes, because buying something you used to be able to get "for free" really shows them! :neutral:

Haha, yes. The psychological manipulation is working. People are so happy they're going to be "allowed" to buy anything at all instead of gambling for it they'll buy anything. We'll open up our wallets one way or another.

Of course there probably are a few people who would've paid for it regardless.

I'll pass on this if I can't get it in game. Little disturbing if this is the only way to get the style that it will basically be trading cash for gold (selling crafting services for gold that were purchased exclusively with real money).
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • randolphbenoit
    randolphbenoit
    ✭✭✭✭
    The issue of motifs costing real money makes no sense unless already gained in the game.

Reasons to buy from crown store - limited time to play or access to extra cash.

Reason why every motif needs be gained also in the game is crafting is not only for oneself - most get the motifs are crafter(s) and they mainly craft for the community for free or for gold so spending real money for it makes no sense plus to make gear u need other materials and style mats vs a costume u just put on just to stand out.
    the NeXus Guild (NA-DC-Crafters) contact @randolphbenoit - Currently Allies to Fairy Tail of Tamriel (Social) and Brave Kore (DC PvP). https://twitter.com/randolphbenoit

Saltrice - (Salt tolerant rice) Saltrice, pronounced just like it looks is, in fact, a kind of rice that can grow in paddies of either fresh or brackish water.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have no problem if this is a Crown Store only item. Why? Because I will gladly pay for something that I like and I know I don't have to gamble for.
    Ilsabet wrote: »
    Inb4 they were never actually planning to implement this system in-game and it was all just an elaborate scheme to get people primed to pay higher prices for crown store items out of sheer relief that they're not locked in RNG boxes.

...I didn't really want to be proven right... :/
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • randolphbenoit
    randolphbenoit
    ✭✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »
    I thought it was as a reward for the event, but I've been searching the forums and everyone reference the Hallowjack motif being the event reward...

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom Wanna clear up the confusion here? We're confused :(

[EDIT] *puts on detective hat* well they did move this thread to the crown store forum...

being an event reward would be great if its going only in crown store. Some people maybe no time due to being away or at work to get unless from crown store. but needs be also in the event itself.
    the NeXus Guild (NA-DC-Crafters) contact @randolphbenoit - Currently Allies to Fairy Tail of Tamriel (Social) and Brave Kore (DC PvP). https://twitter.com/randolphbenoit

Saltrice - (Salt tolerant rice) Saltrice, pronounced just like it looks is, in fact, a kind of rice that can grow in paddies of either fresh or brackish water.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's not forget the Stalhrim motif...

It looks like this is their model for the Holiday Events:
    • One time-limited in-game motif (Hollowjack, Skinchanger)
    • One time-limited Crown-only motif (Grim, Stalhrim)

Not sure how I feel about all this.

I mean, it's really nice that they are doing these holiday events, with goodies like recipes and motifs, all for free. So a part of me feels that I shouldn't complain that, alongside all the free in-game stuff, they are also doing a Crown-only motif.

On the other hand, this is a bit of an unprecedented move, and a very disturbing start of what could be a slippery slope. And, frankly, with how the Crown Crates have played out, my inclination to give ZOS the benefit of the doubt has decreased substantially.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Almariel
    Almariel
    ✭✭✭
    For now, I always have been quite proud when I managed to get all the new styles fully learned. But that? If there will be really coming a crown store exclusive style? Ehm, please don't do that. I don't want to be forced to invest crowns to be a truly Master-crafter, with all styles available. I had the crowns, as i got Eso plus, that's not even the point. Its not an essential item, I know that, so its far away from p2w, but it just feels not right to *force* those who want to be masters of all crafts and styles to invest crowns. Crown store styles are okay for those styles that were hard to get ingame, so some would just buy them after a while for crowns. So, please, add an ingame way, besides the crown store, to get that style.
    @Sevryiel - daheim auf dem PC-EU Server
  • Nirnrotten
    Nirnrotten
    ✭✭✭
    I get the feeling that some of you don't like the Crown Store. Or is it just the Exclusive Crown Store purchases that are the problem?

This company needs to make money and until everyone starts donating or subscribing so that they can hit their quarterly numbers, they are left with the Crown Store.

If they put something up that is readily available in-game it won't sell as well. Also you run the risk of ticking off the subscribers that have crowns stacked up with nothing worthwhile to spend it on. Crown Exclusive items alleviate these problems. They sell well, and are usually really cool.

I for one will be supporting ZOS and buying this motif. Now what I would really like them to do for people is to allow some in game way of obtaining old Crown Store Exclusive items. Like old Motifs that eventually get thrown on the Crown Store, just in reverse. The only benefit would be that those that purchased via Crown Store will have the items first.
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nirnrotten wrote: »
    I get the feeling that some of you don't like the Crown Store. Or is it just the Exclusive Crown Store purchases that are the problem?

This company needs to make money and until everyone starts donating or subscribing so that they can hit their quarterly numbers, they are left with the Crown Store.

If they put something up that is readily available in-game it won't sell as well. Also you run the risk of ticking off the subscribers that have crowns stacked up with nothing worthwhile to spend it on. Crown Exclusive items alleviate these problems. They sell well, and are usually really cool.

I for one will be supporting ZOS and buying this motif. Now what I would really like them to do for people is to allow some in game way of obtaining old Crown Store Exclusive items. Like old Motifs that eventually get thrown on the Crown Store, just in reverse. The only benefit would be that those that purchased via Crown Store will have the items first.

The problem is that motifs have traditionally been available in game. They also go on the Crown Store eventually, but first and foremost all crafting items can be found in-game. If you are only seeing people that "don't like the Crown Store" then you are really not looking. At a single comment. In the whole thread, basically.

I'm sure we could all upload screenshots of our collections UI and prove that we're happy to pay for certain items, but you've got to be able to see where this crosses into some gross territory.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Motifs in the crown store currently work nicely because many, if not all, of them can be had either in the game, with work, or in the crown store, with no effort at all. The player can choose either way, and that makes the crown store a friendlier thing. In this way, I can choose to play for motifs and blow all my crowns on costumes, pets, and mounts. If they make the crown store predatory, I can spend my money with some other company.

The great thing about ZOS is this: If they annoy me just enough, I will take my money elsewhere, but still play their game for free. I like the game. I can definitely find a way to play ESO daily, building up hundreds of in-game hours, without having to give ZOS/Bethesda any more money. I would consider it an honor to do just that.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is disgusting.

Also, the STALHRIM MOTIF (aka Frostcaster) is the next Crown Store-only motif.

STALHRIM
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also you run the risk of ticking off the subscribers that have crowns stacked up with nothing worthwhile to spend it on.

This subscriber would rather spend Crowns on something that's actually playable so I can get some use out of the game time I am paying for. Click purchase button -> get Motif does not give me any reason to log into the game, whereas page drops in the game encourage me to interact with other players and the game world in general to get them.

Zenimax provides a service, same as my internet provider and my electric company. At present I don't mind paying for that service. But I do not exist solely to be a paycheck for any company, and if I do not get enough use out of a service, I will stop paying for it. 'Zenimax has to make money' is a valid argument within the company, but I, the customer, should not have to care, because if they're doing their job right I will pay for their service without them having to beg me for money solely on the basis that they need it. They are a business, not a charity.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zenimax provides a service, same as my internet provider and my electric company. At present I don't mind paying for that service. But I do not exist solely to be a paycheck for any company, and if I do not get enough use out of a service, I will stop paying for it. 'Zenimax has to make money' is a valid argument within the company, but I, the customer, should not have to care, because if they're doing their job right I will pay for their service without them having to beg me for money solely on the basis that they need it. They are a business, not a charity.

Agreed. Too many people seem to express the idea that they have to buy stuff from the Crown Store for the reason that ZOS stays in business.

If someone feels that way, It is actually not necessary to purchase anything from the crown store! They get their money when the Crowns are purchased, not when they are spent.

Simply buy Crowns. Buy ESO Plus. Buy more copies of the game, then buy more ESO Plus and more Crowns.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Neirymn
    Neirymn
    ✭✭✭✭
    A crown store exclusive motif? Well, that's a truly scary Halloween you're giving us this year ZOS. :|
    Edited by Neirymn on October 2, 2016 8:44PM
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Someone in one of my trade guilds is already drumming up business for crafting services with this new crown store motif, and it's not even released yet.
  • BrianDavion
    BrianDavion
    ✭✭✭✭
    my problem is motiffs are awesome, a lot of my end game is farming them. but once they start selling them on the crown store I can tell you EXACTLY what'll happen. the GOOD LOOKING motiffs will, slowly over time become store excusive, and we'll see less and less new motiffs added. so this is...a concerning precident. I'll accept it so long as it's a VERY limited set up, with the "1 motiff earnable for event, 1 buyable store" but my fear is crown exclusive motiffs are the future
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    Let's not forget the Stalhrim motif...

It looks like this is their model for the Holiday Events:
    • One time-limited in-game motif (Hollowjack, Skinchanger)
    • One time-limited Crown-only motif (Grim, Stalhrim)

Not sure how I feel about all this.

I mean, it's really nice that they are doing these holiday events, with goodies like recipes and motifs, all for free. So a part of me feels that I shouldn't complain that, alongside all the free in-game stuff, they are also doing a Crown-only motif.

On the other hand, this is a bit of an unprecedented move, and a very disturbing start of what could be a slippery slope. And, frankly, with how the Crown Crates have played out, my inclination to give ZOS the benefit of the doubt has decreased substantially.

That "slippery slope" was initiated when the Crafting Bag became an ESO+ Exclusive. That was the beginning of the greed. A fantastic feature finally becoming available but only if you paid ZOS $15 a month.

Problem is, the Forums community went ablaze if you talked bad about it. Was it stupid and unfair? Yes!....but who cares if you were subbed anyway, right? It doesn't affect you since you already paid $15 a month for being the "loyal" player you are. Some of most ignorant comments were made by Subs when this happened and it's laughable that people later disliked the Style Parlor/Crown Crates because of the same blatant developer greed. Smh....

Thanks to all of the oh-so loyal Subs on here who shot down any resistance to Crafting Bag Exclusivity, the path ahead became painfully clear for ZOS afterward as to how they should run their business, and I knew all of this would happen. We could have all yelled at ZOS and refused to pay for the Sub service, or at the very least expressed disapproval instead of supporting and thanking them for being greedy! I literally find it tough to blame ZOS for the increasing prices and focus in the Crown Store when we are buying $40 mounts and supporting them the higher prices go.

ZOS would've lost plenty of money and not embarked on this terrible route had we done this. It at least would've very much delayed the greedy tactics. That's what happens when developers lose tons of money because they started to do greedy things and the community takes action to stop them. The Subs instead supported them with flying colors.

Afterward, everything started going downhill in an extremely obvious pattern. Zero blame on ZOS here:
    - The Barbershop was scrapped. It was replaced with the Crown Store variant: the Style Parlor. Ridiculous prices.
    - Costumes will never sell at reasonable prices again
    - Cool mounts will never sell below 2500 Crowns again
    - Instead of bringing back certain limited time mounts/costumes for console (who never could've gotten them or were only purchasable at launch) will never return anymore..... but you can gamble with Crown Crates to get them.
    - Crown Crates were implemented ASAP. The Atronach/Wild Hunt/Future cool mounts (obviously involving the absolute most developer resources to create of any other mount based on appearance/animations) are permanently locked in these.
    - Player Housing will seek significant player interaction from the Crown Store to have anything nice for your House or even any House at all.
    - Crafting Motifs are now becoming exclusive to the Crown Store. Grim Harlequin and Frostcaster (Stalhrim!) are the first two examples
    - The future class to ESO (Warden) may become a Crown Store only feature. You don't NEED it to win, so it's not P2W.
    - Things will absolutely get worse in terms of the greed displayed by ZOS. They will absolutely look for any opportunity in the future to make players pay real money for features, rather than provide all features and leave the Crown Store to a separate array of nice stuff/cosmetics/DLC as it once was.

It's not P2W, but it is locking you from any great new features that the Devs worked a ton on since you did not fork over extra $$$. We aren't talking about the Crown Store offering DLC zones or awesome cosmetics for features you already have. We are talking about entire features being unavailable and solely based on real money spent, and ZOS sets the price tag. And those awesome cosmetics/mounts? Well the price has either skyrocketed or they've been placed in Crown Crates for gambling away hundreds of dollars.

.....I will continue to play ESO because I love the game, but I refuse to spend money on cash grabs and pure greed. New DLC? I'll buy that awesome content! 10K-30K for a Storm Mount, Crown Store only motifs, and tons of other scams? No way. Pay $15 a month to support our new greedy tricks and get Transmogrification (Style altering on existing items) since it's 99% guaranteed to be ESO+ only? No thank you, I can live without.

GG new players. They get to experience an awesome Elder Scrolls game only to get locked out of awesome features because of greed, PvP because of imbalances likely revolving around supporting race change token purchases (Stam/Mag metas), and anything else that could be great if not focused on making as much $$$ as possible.

We have only ONE feature coming to us which will not cost Crowns and will be for everyone: Spellcrafting. It would be 100% P2W if made Crown Store/Sub only. This is why the feature itself was nearly finished back before the Crown Store was implemented, yet is still on the back burner.

I needed to let all this info out..... makes it tough to appreciate the nice things in ESO when you have to worried that the Devs themselves are getting greedier every update and things are NOT looking better. Remember folks, if it's not gonna make them real $$$ (fixing Cyrodiil performance, Spellcrafting, etc) then it can wait :disappointed:
    Edited by Vaoh on October 3, 2016 2:35AM
  • Balibe
    Balibe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe if more people subscribed and did not expect everything for free with the base price of the game it would not be this way .....

ZOS has no choice, if it was not for ZOS concentrating on the Crown Store, this game would be shutting for lack of funds .....

I think they should go back to a base monthly subscription concept and dump the crown store. Doing this would prevent most of the wining posts like this one on the forums, then the posts would be based on more on the game ......

• TheDarkRuler
    TheDarkRuler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is just a motif and as much as I would like to have it, i won't care to buy it.
    There are tons of other motifs and in my opinion they are even more beautiful like Order of the Hour or the (soon to come) Yokeda.

What bothers me a little is the dependency on crown store exclusive motif style components that would need to be bought separately every time for real money. This is a little greedy especially since you have already earned money by the person who bought the motif. At least make the style material somehow craftable or dropable.

• Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Balibe wrote: »
    Maybe if more people subscribed and did not expect everything for free with the base price of the game it would not be this way .....

ZOS has no choice, if it was not for ZOS concentrating on the Crown Store, this game would be shutting for lack of funds .....

I think they should go back to a base monthly subscription concept and dump the crown store. Doing this would prevent most of the wining posts like this one on the forums, then the posts would be based on more on the game ......

Since you obviously must have them to make that statement, would you please share ZOS financials with the rest of us so we can properly see your point?
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    crown store only motif sucks!!
  • Perwulf
    Perwulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are 3 reasons not to buy exclusive crown store motifs.
    • Monster Gears "Good luck wearing the whole crown motif set and suffer from stat loss, sorry but not sorry -Zos :D "
    • Mimic Stones "No explanation on how to get the materials so it's safe to assume that it's gonna be mimic stones. Play it once, now you pay twice - A Gambler's Quote"
    • Supporting P2W model "It's exclusive which means if someone asks you to craft those, it'll be tons of golds. Good news for master crafters but bad news for the population"
    "Monsters doesn't exist, we create them"
  • MarkusLiberty
    MarkusLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh no! Zenimax just spent time and effort producing something that isn't free!

I dont see how motifs are any different that costumes or mounts, why shouldn't they be allowed to sell a few of them as Crown store exclusives?

Its just cosmetics.
    Edited by MarkusLiberty on October 3, 2016 10:11AM
    *Special Snowflake*

• randolphbenoit
    randolphbenoit
    ✭✭✭✭
    @MarkusLiberty Costumes and Mounts are premade skins vs motifs you need materials to craft it. Your basically paying for blue prints. For crafters who make gear we do not make real money, just game gold or do for free. Paying real money to make others something with materials which are free (harvesting mats) makes no sense.

• justinbarrett
    justinbarrett
    ✭✭✭
    so long as people are buying things like this, they will sell things like this....

TBH, I am dissapointed, but it does not affect gameplay or your ability to play the game....
    It DOES affect the "play how you want" metal/thought, as players who play as crafters are being robbed of playing as they want.

In the end it is still just as much our fault as the greedy idiots fault...it takes both buyer and seller for these things to remain prosperous for said greedy idiots.....as much so as, it takes idiot buyers....huh?, wait...yeah.
  • Suter1972
    Suter1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    @MarkusLiberty Costumes and Mounts are premade skins vs motifs you need materials to craft it. Your basically paying for blue prints. For crafters who make gear we do not make real money, just game gold or do for free. Paying real money to make others something with materials which are free (harvesting mats) makes no sense.

Great points, but…..

Ive read a few posts where crafters say we are unappreciated, no reason for 9 traits, whats the point etc etc.

Then ZOS release a blue print you pay real money for that wont drop in game (maybe).

Surely this is the opportunity for crafters to make the in game gold they want and realise the in game worth of the time and effort it took to become a crafter? “you want the grim set? Sure that will be X gold please”

The only way to get the gear is via a crafter (or become one yourself). Personally as a progressing crafter Im pretty happy with that!
    Edited by Suter1972 on October 3, 2016 11:00AM
    Was - Breton DC ( GIRL - Guy In Real Life toon) Magika Templar Healer/ 5-8 trait Crafter - currently CP290 and learning now starting again on xbox…...

xbox suter1972 - Character name - Hota Woskeef

Xbox EU ESO+ Mature (40+) UK casual gamer
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Suter1972 wrote: »

Great points, but…..

Ive read a few posts where crafters say we are unappreciated, no reason for 9 traits, whats the point etc etc.

Then ZOS release a blue print you pay real money for that wont drop in game (maybe).

Surely this is the opportunity for crafters to make the in game gold they want and realise the in game worth of the time and effort it took to become a crafter? “you want the grim set? Sure that will be X gold please”

The only way to get the gear is via a crafter (or become one yourself). Personally as a progressing crafter Im pretty happy with that!
    So you're happy with the idea of ZOS becoming a gold seller, offering something for cash that people can turn around and exchange as a service for gold in-game?

The person who was advertising future grim harlequin crafting services in my trade guild said they were not even a 9-trait crafter in all items yet - just eager to shell out the cash to go into business. If anything, that trend continues and it will put other crafters out of business if they aren't willing to play this dirty game. Or maybe that's the part you're happy with.

Why hasn't ZOS clarified yet how this is actually going to work, with the style stones and such? I would think that shouldn't be a terribly hard question to answer.
    Edited by Slurg on October 3, 2016 12:19PM
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Balibe wrote: »

Come on, why would they do that when they can get people to both pay a subscription and buy crown packs every month? The game is not free. People bought it expecting to be able to play it without the rules changing in the middle of it.

A company's goals to make more money does not necessarily mean they are in dire financial straits. Maybe they just want more money.