The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Things Master Angler Taught Me

• captainwolfos
    captainwolfos
    ✭✭✭✭
    • Coldharbour is needlessly cruel
    • Imperial City makes me want to cry (I JUST WANT TO FISH, PUT THAT JESUS BEAM AWAY)
    • There's a Foul Water node somewhere in Stros M'kai, despite not actually having any foul water fish to collect in the zone
    • The Ocean nodes in Cyrodiil when maining a Pact character are ridiculous
    • The Ocean nodes in Cyrodiil are needlessly cruel, considering you often have to wade through slaughterfish infested waters to actually get to them
    • I still have the EU server to do Master Angler all over again
    • Play 3DS while waiting for the lure to drop
    • +1 alcohol helps a lot
    • Frankly, I'll be buggered before doing this achievement with every single character I have
    Edited by captainwolfos on July 31, 2016 6:25AM
    Enemy of Boob Plates
    For the Covenant! For the High King!
    Solo Player | PVEer | Not caring about PVP since 1992
    Spill some blood for me, dear brother
  • Marktoneth3
    Marktoneth3
    ✭✭✭
    I agreed with shadowfen

this map is a real pain in the ass for me to find foul water
  • Nova Sky
    Nova Sky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Preyfar:

It's posts like your OP that keep me coming back to the forums! Quick question, though: I don't drink, so what's Plan B for me? ;-)
    "Wheresoever you go, go with all of your heart."
  • raidentenshu_ESO
    raidentenshu_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edited by raidentenshu_ESO on July 31, 2016 7:11AM
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    • There's a Foul Water node somewhere in Stros M'kai, despite not actually having any foul water fish to collect in the zone
    There's also Foul Water in Deshaan... despite there being no foul fish to collect. XD
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nova Sky wrote: »
    Preyfar:

It's posts like your OP that keep me coming back to the forums! Quick question, though: I don't drink, so what's Plan B for me? ;-)
    Fruit by the Foot. Miss a fish, take a bite. You can literally measure your success (or disappointment) inch by inch while eating creepy fruit-like paper. You'll start by the foot, end up be the meter, and by the time everything is over, you may make it about half a mile.
    Edited by Preyfar on July 31, 2016 8:51AM
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you mostly need is patience, lots of patience .... and alcohol of course. B)

Tried fishing many times over and I learned I just don't have enough of this patience thing. I'll stick with killing baddies and beasties.
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Huzzah to all you fellow "Master Anglers"! I had to laugh and agree with the "Ocean Water" in Cyrodiil!! Why the AD gate!!!
    Lol!.. But I did it, finally.
    I have been in several guilds that do fishing events. Then it became "drunk fishing" with games tied to it. So the creme' de creme'?
    Naked Cross Alliance Drunk Fishing in IC......... Huzzah!!!
    280kwb7.jpg
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Draxys wrote: »
    Does alcohol help?

OP + this post made my day.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, but you missed the most counter-intuitive of them all...

You can't actually catch Glenumbra's foul-water Hag Fen Hagfish in the Hag Fen. The Hag Fen, even though it's a swamp, is considered a lake for fishing purposes. #ZOSLogic
    Edited by code65536 on July 31, 2016 6:08PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    Ah, but you missed the most counter-intuitive of them all...

You can't catch Glenumbra's Hag Fen Hagfish in the Hag Fen. The Hag Fen, even though it's a swamp, is considered a lake for fishing purposes. #ZOSLogic
    Ha. Exactly this. There's so many random fishing spots and logic behind the fishing lots. I literally decided to Google "what is a river" because there was a part of me that wanted to go "ZOS, we need to talk..."

I did a lot of /feedback reports on fishing while doing it, but I have no idea if ZOS even looks at that feedback or plan to do anything about it. I mean, I can't imagine after two years they're not aware of all the basic problems with fishing. =P The challenge of Master Angler is not the fishing, it's mostly figure out where the hell you're supposed to fish.
    Edited by Preyfar on July 31, 2016 6:11PM
  • Cousin_Idirfa
    Cousin_Idirfa
    ✭✭✭
    I'm working on this achievement, too. I've collected so many Torchbugs, they made me their Queen. The Master Angler achievement should reward a costume as well as the title, like a t-shirt or something. Hail Fishis!
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm working on this achievement, too. I've collected so many Torchbugs, they made me their Queen. The Master Angler achievement should reward a costume as well as the title, like a t-shirt or something. Hail Fishis!
    I think it should have a costume, but it should be a fisherman's costume with large thigh-high waders and some gloves (sort of like the Blacksmith's costume).
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    omg, I just started shadowfen... For a zone with approximately 1 metric sh!t ton of water, there sure aren't that many fishing holes popping up.

rip decibel
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Draxys wrote: »
    omg, I just started shadowfen... For a zone with approximately 1 metric sh!t ton of water, there sure aren't that many fishing holes popping up.
    Exactly. The biggest problem is finding Lake-style nodes. River and Foul Water are easy, but the entire map is a giant body of water... but apparently, almost all the fish are dead.
  • reiverx
    reiverx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last fish I needed for Master Angler was the Bjoulsae Hake in Bankorai. I had 1400 worms in my inventory. I caught it on my 1395th worm.

I also remember catching ten Toxic Xoach in Shadowfen before I bagged the Coelacanth.

RNG drove me to alcohol.

• SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khajiit knows only that the fishing in Tamriel is controlled by a force of darkest evil.

Let the khajiit spend years splish sploshing about all over the map with cold wet paws chasing the invisible fishy puddles.

Not even a pair of good warm fishing boots have they given this one.

Oh the most darkest evil!

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • PhaeroX
    PhaeroX
    ✭✭
    Hog Suckers!
    @Phaero_X --- PC/NA/AD -- Carpe Diem
  • Myrnhiel
    Myrnhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Preyfar wrote: »
    I debated just trying to fish naked to show people that I posed zero threat, and just wanted to fish. But most players just view you as free AP, and won't hesitate to get that free kill in. So you gotta be ready to roll at a moment's notice.

I really thought about this and as fishing "naked" (well, in underwear) is no real option for me, I made a decision yesterday: I bought the City Isle Tunic Dress (which, by the way, is one of the few that really look good on my Bosmer), dyed it a nice green colour - and wearing this dress and the bow (my Bosmer without a bow - no!) I went fishing in the Imperial City. And I had a really, really nice encounter in the sewers! :)

I sneaked (snuck?) through the districts, hid as well as I could, and managed to catch three of the rare fish without even being seen. There were of players fighting up on the street or around the flagpoles - but I was really lucky and no one even came close to me. So finally I decided not to stretch my luck too far and to go back to my home section - for this I had to sneak through the sewers of the Ebonheart Pact.

So my Bosmer was sneaking through dark and damp, scary and spooky and dangerous Imperial City sewers in this light dress - opening a chest or other, always managing to evade other players.
    Then, while I was again opening a chest, my husband came home from work and tried to open the door to our apartment, but couldn't get in because I had forgotten to take the key out of the lock. So I hurried to open the chest and to hide in a dark corner - when someone attacked me. I just saw someone (EP, 531 CPs) jumping out of nowhere and attacking my Bosmer - and I just thought "Ok, I'm dead!".
    I went to open the door and my husband asked, what I was doing. I told him that I just tried to hide in a dark corner but that someone saw me anyway and that I was dead. He just took a look on the monitor and told me: "No, I don't think you are!".

And in fact - I wasn't. The EP player had attacked me, but had stopped when the health on my Bosmer was really low. Instead he (or she? I don't know) whispered:
    "Hey, what u doing here?"
    To what I answered: "Trying to survive :-)"
    His answer: "ok, good luck. a lot of our noobs here."
    And then he just left!
    I answered: "Thank you for not killing me. I will not forget!!!"

And I will not! This was very very kind. And I don't know if the dress had anything to do with it or the title hovering over the head or both and the fact that I wasn't defending myself (I usually don't) - but this was the first time this happened to me - normally (and in fact, 20 minutes later :)) I am slaughtered without mercy. Normally I don't bother to remember the name of the ones killing me - but this one I will remember!

I don't know if he/she is reading here on the forums, but anyway: if the name of your char is a hint on where you are coming from, I will say it again:

Большое спасибо! Я это никогда не забуду!

Sometimes it can be really annoying to be seen as prey only and to be killed instantly on sight. But encounters like this make me go back and try again! :)
    Edited by Myrnhiel on August 4, 2016 3:11PM