The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Things Master Angler Taught Me

Preyfar
Preyfar
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
  • ZOS has no idea what a river is. Take the Rift for example. Look at the map. Just look at it. And realize that the entire map is pretty much a lake. While yes, it appears the entire western half is a giant river... no. That's a lake.
  • NPCs are rude, uncaring heartless ***. Especially other fishing NPCs. They will constantly walk right into you while you're fishing and cause you to stumble, losing your fishing attempt. RUDE. Thankfully, we can kill them. And yes, the bounty you get from doing it feels so, so good. HAIL FISHIS!
  • Alcohol helps a lot. Turn fishing into a game. Whenever you find a gunny sack instead of the fish you want take a shot.
  • The developer who decided to put the Ocean fishing spots right in front of AD's gate is truly, truly evil. There's an entire coastline just East of the gate that looks like prime real estate for fishing ocean borne fish, but no... Nope. That's a lake. The Ocean spots are literally in the tiny river-like stream right in front of the AD gate. Again with faux rivers!
  • Shadowfen, being a giant swamp, has very few fishing spots for the size of the entire map. Given the map is mostly water you'd think there'd be more. Nope. It's entirely possible to spend almost an hour running around the map looking for lake spots and finding none. When you fish one a lake spot on the entire other end of the map can spawn.
  • There's a fish called a Hog Sucker. I don't know why but this greatly amuses me.
  • 90% of the time what you think will be Foul Water turns out to be a lake,
  • Alcohol helps a lot.
  • Foul Water can exist anywhere. Anywhere at all. Sometimes you'll find a single Foul spot right next to lake and river spots in the middle of nowhere. For no reason. Except to make you lose bait. You'll stop trying to figure out what's what and just pray to Jone and Jode you find what you're looking for.
  • There's 3" a puddle in Stormhaven that has a fishing spot just north of the Dreugh waters. It's literally too shallow for fish to exist in, but sure enough, they're there. Somewhere. Hiding.
  • Finding active Foul water spots in Malabor Tor will make you want to scream.
  • You'll never, EVER have to worry about XP again. Ever. For the rest of your life.
    Zd6sFM7.png
  • Alcohol helps a lot.
  • BONUS: Catching all the fish in Imperial City is 100X more dangerous than catching all the fish in Cyrodiil, and is compounded by the fact that all the fishing spots are foul. It took over 1,000+ bait to catch all the fish, and I won't even go into how many times I got ganked. It felt like half the time when I was about to pull up a fish I heard the telltale sounds of a meteor about to gently caress my forehead.
Edited by Preyfar on July 30, 2016 3:05AM
  • hingarthuub17_ESO
    hingarthuub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    +1 Alcohol helps a lot.
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    +1 Alcohol helps a lot.
    It's true. Alcohol helps a lot.
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is very nice. =) might save some sanity for those of us who have yet to complete the achievement. Lesson learned: alcohol helps.
  • Graydon
    Graydon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beer and fishing???

Would love to hang out!
  • Mickey_Ox
    Mickey_Ox
    ✭✭✭✭
    *HAIL FISHIS* LOL you get an awesome for that one and yes alcohol helps everything
    Ever Tried, Ever Failed,
    No Matter.
    Try again, Fail again,
    Fail Better
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've fished out all of DC, some AD, and all of Cyrodiil except for those "ocean" spots.

Congrats on earning Master Angler!

I hope to replace my Flawless Conqueror title with Master Angler one day B)
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Doncellius wrote: »
    I've fished out all of DC, some AD, and all of Cyrodiil except for those "ocean" spots.
    The ocean spots are ridiculous, especially as a DC. I had to look up guides for those as I quite literally scoured the map and gave up. There's two right outside AD's gate and they spawn back to back, but as a DC, if one person ganked me... I'd have a ridiculous run back just to find some fish.

Thankfully, all the AD saw me fishing let me go. I kept seeing people running towards me from the gate and kept doing this "Game face time." to get ready to jump into combat mode.
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Alcohol helps a lot.

That is what I was doing wrong, quit 10 minutes into my fishing journey. Never went fishing again.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    vamp_emily wrote: »
    Alcohol helps a lot.
    That is what I was doing wrong, quit 10 minutes into my fishing journey. Never went fishing again.
    I had a lot of moments where it was like "I just had 2,000 guts. Now I have none. NONE! WHERE DID THEY ALL GO?!"

Fishing tip: Goat's Head Oasis wayshrine in Alik'r has tons (read: TONS!) of goats. It lives up to the name. You can farm guts insanely fast just running around the area.
  • saxgooner
    saxgooner
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody need wrothgar biggest catch yet?
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    saxgooner wrote: »
    It's not /too/ hard to get, just takes a bit of RNG (like all feesh). Fish at sunset to sunrise in Ocean spots. I got it pretty quickly (still haven't got all the blue Ocean fish, but I got the freakin' purple one almost right away).
    Edited by Preyfar on July 29, 2016 8:29PM
  • zerosingularity
    zerosingularity
    ✭✭✭✭
    10,000 Crawlers used in Coldharbor. 60 minutes spent and 300 TV stones gained from getting ganked in IC (lol my fishies!), and really lucky as AD for cyro fishing. (Made no sense to me how they are ALL AT THAT ONE SPOT!)

All this before Perfect Roe was even implemented. :( All of this without any alcohol. (yes I hate myself)

Kudos on completing this title that's harder to solo than vMA flawless!
    NA-PC

Kaineth - Stamina Nightblade (Weakest Player Ever!)
    Elena Stormwood - Magicka Sorcerer (vMA no Death 12/21/15 Score 401148)
    Sheila Feyrondas - Magicka Dragonknight Tank (Frost staves are gonna be fun!)

*Disclaimer* I fail at emotional communication, so assume what I say is NOT meant to be offensive.
  • rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Preyfar wrote: »
    [*] BONUS: Catching all the fish in Imperial City is 100X more dangerous than catching all the fish in Cyrodiil, and is compounded by the fact that all the fishing spots are foul. It took over 1,000+ bait to catch all the fish, and I won't even go into how many times I got ganked. It felt like half the time when I was about to pull up a fish I heard the telltale sounds of a meteor about to gently caress my forehead.

Protip:

Find fishing spot. Stealth.

Cast line while stealthed. Eye will be open. Shh bb is ok.

Catch fish.

BEFORE THE ANIMATION FINISHES cast line again. Character should now be fishing AND stealthed.

Repeat. As long as you recast the line before the fish catch animation finishes you should stay stealthed unless otherwise interrupted.

Also, can confirm, alcohol helps a lot. As does waiting for the dungeon queue as DPS. But mostly alcohol. Still buzzed from my lunch margarita.

• LarsS
    LarsS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cyro ocean is not to difficult. There is a number of ocean spots outside the city close to the AD gate. You just have to survive the slaughterfishes swimming there :)
    GM for The Daggerfall Authority EU PC
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vamp_emily wrote: »
    Alcohol helps a lot.
    I had a lot of moments where it was like "I just had 2,000 guts. Now I have none. NONE! WHERE DID THEY ALL GO?!"

Fishing tip: Goat's Head Oasis wayshrine in Alik'r has tons (read: TONS!) of goats. It lives up to the name. You can farm guts insanely fast just running around the area.

How I prepped to get this achievement:

• Guts: Farm Goats ---> Goat's Head Oasis
    • Insect Parts: Farm Torchbugs --> Spots with water throughout Rivenspire
    • Crawlers: Farm Spiders --> Bangkorai Garrison (north side)
    • Worms: Farm Plants/Undead --> No good spots. Grind a character at the beach near Sentinel and in the Vile Laboratory in Coldharbour. Also farm plants. This is the rarer bait :|

Still gotta finish the fishing part ......
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    • BONUS: Catching all the fish in Imperial City is 100X more dangerous than catching all the fish in Cyrodiil, and is compounded by the fact that all the fishing spots are foul. It took over 1,000+ bait to catch all the fish, and I won't even go into how many times I got ganked. It felt like half the time when I was about to pull up a fish I heard the telltale sounds of a meteor about to gently caress my forehead.

This especially made me giggle! :D

I once ganked a poor innocent fisherman exactly like that - meteor to face - splat! (My master angler did it!) I felt really bad afterwards for doing it as I'm not really one for ganking, but my blood was up at the time...

Apologies if you were that fisherman that I caressed so lovingly with my meteor! ;)

Edited by AlienSlof on July 29, 2016 10:14PM
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still believe this is the most "difficult" achievement in the game, and it's one of the few I will never get. Haha

Also, going to start calling people Hog Suckers. :smile:
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on July 29, 2016 10:19PM
  • BlackEar
    BlackEar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many foul water spots have skeletons and bones next to them. That is how you see it.
    Bjorn Blackbear - Master Angler - Collector - Black Market Mogul - Ebonheart Pact - Exterminatus - EU.

Achievement hunter:

Visit my profile page to find out about which achievement I am currently hunting.

Check out Anemonean's thieving guide!
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I still believe this is the most "difficult" achievement in the game, and it's one of the few I will never get. Haha
    That's because there's no real reward in it (Perfect Roe aside). You get a title, an ugly dye and the satisfaction of wasting an incredible amount of time yelling "WHERE THE HELL IS THAT BLUE FISH?!" at your screen.
    Also, going to start calling people Hog Suckers. :smile:
    There's also the Sulfersucker fish, too. I kept that in my inventory as a personal reward because the name makes me laugh. I kind of pondered how fast I'd get reported if I named a character "Hog Sucker", and then tried to defend it that I'm just named after an in-game item.
    Edited by Preyfar on July 29, 2016 10:28PM
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BlackEar wrote: »
    Many foul water spots have skeletons and bones next to them. That is how you see it.
    Some do, but then there's the Rift. The lake around around Riften is mostly lake... but some are also Foul, and there's no rhyme or reason to it. Some areas like Stonefalls have Foul spots pretty clearly designed. Lava flowing into water, giant corpses sticking out... those are pretty obvious. Others like Malabal Tor? Not so much.
  • Myrnhiel
    Myrnhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful!!! Thank you for this post - it really gave me a good laugh after a hard day at work! And you are soooo right!!! :)

But I loved fishing for the Master Angler and will do so again with all my other characters. I just can't help myself.

When I was fishing in Cyrodiil, I was not even killed once. My main character is AD, so I didn't have the problems the players from other factions have. My 2nd will be different - he is EP.

In IC however, I sometimes wish for a new title: "No Tel Var Stones inside" - or something like that. I never ever carry Tel Var Stones in my inventory when fishing (or only a really small amount, not worth to be killed for). I have the Master Angler title displayed above my head that should clearly show other players what business I'm going after in IC (as if carrying a fishing pole in the hand is not clear enough already) but NOOOO... I stopped counting how many times I've already been killed. And it really doesn't help that some of the fishing spots a placed directly next to the skyshard - death trap guaranteed!

This is when my determination kicks in: still seven fish to go in IC - I already have all the skyshards and discovered all the places in the sewers and the districts - and I won't let them keep me from catching all the fish! I'm stubborn - I can't help it. :)
    Edited by Myrnhiel on July 29, 2016 11:20PM
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Myrnhiel wrote: »
    In IC however, I sometimes wish for a new title: "No Tel Var Stones inside" - or something like that. I never ever carry Tel Var Stones in my inventory when fishing (or only a really small amount, not worth to be killed for). I have the Master Angler title displayed above my head that should clearly show other players what business I'm going after in IC (as if carrying a fishing pole in the hand is not clear enough already) but NOOOO...
    I debated just trying to fish naked to show people that I posed zero threat, and just wanted to fish. But most players just view you as free AP, and won't hesitate to get that free kill in. So you gotta be ready to roll at a moment's notice.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Agree with the lack of clear distinction between water types, sometimes you do not know what water type you have until you land your first fish. Shadowfen is very disappointing for fishing spots, as you say for somewhere with so much water you have to work hard to find the fishing spots.

And I never go fishing dry, it is usually something I do when I have had enough to drink that I cannot be bothered doing anything else.

Hail Fishis !!
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I take my hat off to your patience
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I can't do cold harbor it's just to bright even when I turn down the light lvl it still hurts looking at that blue ice water ugh oh and redbull and vodka is my choice of drink when fishing it helps and a good guild chat to bs in
    Edited by FloppyTouch on July 30, 2016 12:07AM
  • chaserstorm16909
    chaserstorm16909
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[*] BONUS: Catching all the fish in Imperial City is 100X more dangerous than catching all the fish in Cyrodiil, and is compounded by the fact that all the fishing spots are foul. It took over 1,000+ bait to catch all the fish, and I won't even go into how many times I got ganked. It felt like half the time when I was about to pull up a fish I heard the telltale sounds of a meteor about to gently caress my forehead.
    [/list][/quote]

Sorry that might have been me.
  • Rayya_Blackheart
    Rayya_Blackheart
    ✭✭✭
    saxgooner wrote: »

Funny story. So I was farming around, got tired and decided "hey, it's night. I'll just relax for a moment and fish instead of tediously looking for nodes. I mean, I haven't caught the thing in 3 months even with double node week..."

First god damned cast. Caught it. Back to tedious searching.
    PC NA Rayya Blackheart pitiful DPS NB CP160
    PC NA Phaedra Phoenix beast mode Templar Healer CP160
    PC NA lvl6 Mudcrab
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Cyrodiil and IC, re-read the post about fishing stealthed, and practice it (it can be useful elsewhere, as well). I don't recall getting ganked at all while fishing in IC - not to say I didn't get wrecked moving from place to place though! I also explained it here:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3168174/#Comment_3168174

• thedatajunkie
    thedatajunkie
    ✭✭
    I wish there was a non-combatant flag you could go to Cyrodiil under. a mode where you cant kill other players and they cant kill you, and you have to go all the way out of Cyrodiil and then come back to your factions starting point to be able to kill other players again. We'd still have to deal with PVE and NPC attacks but it would greatly reduce the massive irritation that builds when you cant get 5 steps towards a fishing spot without being slaughtered.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best way to test water type sometimes (besides add-ons or checking online) is to simply test to see what type of fish you catch using Guts. Guts are very plentiful. Not very bad to test with Insect Parts or Crawlers either. Never test with Worms!