The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Things Master Angler Taught Me

• Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    smacx250 wrote: »
    For Cyrodiil and IC, re-read the post about fishing stealthed, and practice it (it can be useful elsewhere, as well). I don't recall getting ganked at all while fishing in IC - not to say I didn't get wrecked moving from place to place though! I also explained it here:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3168174/#Comment_3168174
    It doesn't quite work though. I saw a bunch of other people doing it outside the AD gate for the Ocean spawns (two people doing it together), and I just kept watching them blink in and out. Granted, some stealth is better than no stealth.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Muy interesante.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    From one Master Angler to another, great post OP! :cookie: I'm a little jealous of all the XP pots. I had my title before they came out.
    I still believe this is the most "difficult" achievement in the game, and it's one of the few I will never get. Haha

I would have agreed about this at one point. But after getting this title, I started going after all the monster collectibles. I finished it right after zos so kindly made it impossible to bank these, and so swaps between alts. It was waaay more grindy than fishing, and now it's just about impossible to do on one character.....thanks for that, zos. And at the end of it.....no title and no XP pots. :'(
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Doncellius wrote: »
    Best way to test water type sometimes (besides add-ons or checking online) is to simply test to see what type of fish you catch using Guts. Guts are very plentiful. Not very bad to test with Insect Parts or Crawlers either. Never test with Worms!

Do try & work out what the water type is -as OP says its not always that obvious. (Is this a lake or a river? Is the water moving? Are all city waters foul?). But have found that even if have wrong bait can catch fish....and then might get Used Bait after a few goes. Which I don't understand.
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Does alcohol help?

rip decibel
  • ConeOfSilence
    ConeOfSilence
    ✭✭✭✭
    I sell fishing gear for a living in RL. Fishing in RL then come home and do some fishing on ESO. Just if I could throw some Rapala's around on a Stradic in ESO.......worlds are colliding.
  • MyNameIsElias
    MyNameIsElias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont forget the fishing holes that require you to have to look at a specific part of the hole to be able to fish in it
  • Mortehl
    Mortehl
    ✭✭✭
    A man was hungry.
    God gave man a fish.
    Man ate fish for a day.
    A man was hungry.
    God gave man a fishing pole.
    Man drank beer all day.
  • FortheloveofKrist
    FortheloveofKrist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally done fishing! Time to catch....a Lady...

https://youtu.be/nFMW1gvSNJw

• I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's inadvisable to play a drinking game based on what you catch because then you're dependent on RNG - just think of the QQs...

"I played the fishing drinking game for SIX hours and ended up sober!"

Better to build up to an (in)appropriate level and just keep topping up as required :)
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can remember exact spots for certain water types I'd be SUPER grateful, as I'm actually running a fishing event all next week. >.>
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was disapointed, thought patience was going to pop up somewhere.... :pensive:

Anyway; I´ll use this as a guide when I begin my journy towards that achievement :)
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Recremen wrote: »
    If you can remember exact spots for certain water types I'd be SUPER grateful, as I'm actually running a fishing event all next week. >.>
    I remember most of them, especially the frustration of trying to find where certain things are. A lot of the online guides are both accurate... and inaccurate as hell. XD I tossed you a friend request in game.
  • Tobius
    Tobius
    ✭✭✭
    ... if you went out drinking and caught a fish, you might be ...
    "Remember: Sometime the Dragon wins."
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Preyfar wrote: »
    Recremen wrote: »
    I remember most of them, especially the frustration of trying to find where certain things are. A lot of the online guides are both accurate... and inaccurate as hell. XD I tossed you a friend request in game.

My hero. <3
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • leothedino
    leothedino
    ✭✭✭✭
    Goodness, this post was excellent. OP it made my day, actually laughed and when I say that... I mean none of this 'blew air from my nose' nonsense :smiley:
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in Wayrest working out a crafting request by PM this morning, and watched you skin fish for like 30 min! That was a lot of damn fish. Congrats on the Achievement and title.

Also, Alcohol helps.

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    I was in Wayrest working out a crafting request by PM this morning, and watched you skin fish for like 30 min! That was a lot of damn fish. Congrats on the Achievement and title.

Also, Alcohol helps.
    Heh, yeah. I had over 3,000+ fish in my pack to go through. I was watching TV and looking over at the screen like "Huh. It's been an hour, and I've barely made a dent." It took over 7K fish to get the achievement (some of the fish I had by farming Dreugh for cheap leather).

QfBrS9W.png
    By the by, the "Slaughterfish Flesh Pink" is so pink it could only be described as "violently fabulous".

ecOuUMM.png
    Oh, and I captured the One True Emperor of Cyrodiil. HAIL FISHIS!
    Edited by Preyfar on July 30, 2016 6:34PM
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »

Also, Alcohol helps.
    Heh, yeah. I had over 3,000+ fish in my pack to go through. I was watching TV and looking over at the screen like "Huh. It's been an hour, and I've barely made a dent." It took over 7K fish to get the achievement (some of the fish I had by farming Dreugh for cheap leather).

QfBrS9W.png
    By the by, the "Slaughterfish Flesh Pink" is so pink it could only be described as "violently fabulous".

ecOuUMM.png
    Oh, and I captured the One True Emperor of Cyrodiil. HAIL FISHIS!

That is a nice pink!

My favorite dye will never be replaced though.

Aetherial Blue is amazing. Pretty sure it's the only dye with three colors as well on metals.

• Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aetherial Blue is amazing. Pretty sure it's the only dye with three colors as well on metals.
    That's one of my favorite dyes, especially on Daedric armor. I used to play Planetside for about 6 years, and was really well known in the community (especially on the Vanu side). Aetherial Blue makes Daedric armor have the same sheen that Vanu armor did in the game, and it's pretty much /perfect/.
    Edited by Preyfar on July 30, 2016 8:25PM
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm deeply sorry if I was responsible for any of your IC deaths. I've murdered many fishermen in the name of free AP. I shoot first, ask questions never. I'm glad you got your achievements though. Kudos.
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »
    I'm deeply sorry if I was responsible for any of your IC deaths. I've murdered many fishermen in the name of free AP. I shoot first, ask questions never. I'm glad you got your achievements though. Kudos.
    While you have may brought death to many fisherman... we Master Anglers have brought a veritable apocalypse upon the swimming, gilled vermin.

We all play our role in the circle of life AP.

Besides, as a Former Emperor, I'm pretty sure I deserved it for my Cyrodiilian war crimes. XD
    Edited by Preyfar on July 30, 2016 8:35PM
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While you have may brought death to many fisherman... we Master Anglers have brought a veritable apocalypse upon the swimming, gilled vermin.

Besides, as a Former Emperor, I'm pretty sure I deserved it for my Cyrodiilian war crimes. XD

Note to self: Slot Radiant Magelight....
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Note to self: Slot Radiant Magelight....
    Please do not underestimate Khajiit's sneakiness. Thousands of fish were caught unprepared. Do not think you will remain unscathed!
  • Kikazaru
    Kikazaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Rift... I shudder at the thought on how long it took me to catch all of the blue fishes in the river. Blast that place!
    Mizaru

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    vamp_emily wrote: »
    Alcohol helps a lot.
    That is what I was doing wrong, quit 10 minutes into my fishing journey. Never went fishing again.
    I had a lot of moments where it was like "I just had 2,000 guts. Now I have none. NONE! WHERE DID THEY ALL GO?!"

Fishing tip: Goat's Head Oasis wayshrine in Alik'r has tons (read: TONS!) of goats. It lives up to the name. You can farm guts insanely fast just running around the area.

Leave those poor goats alone! :(
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • Karminathevamp
    Karminathevamp
    ✭✭✭
    What you mostly need is patience, lots of patience .... and alcohol of course. B)
    Master Angler
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    saxgooner wrote: »
    Anybody need wrothgar biggest catch yet?

first cast in wrothgar.

couldn't believe it.

eta: many thanks to the op for a most enlightening (and entertaining) set of fishing tenets.

cheers!
    Edited by Lylith on July 31, 2016 2:52AM
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    • ZOS has no idea what a river is. Take the Rift for example. Look at the map. Just look at it. And realize that the entire map is pretty much a lake. While yes, it appears the entire western half is a giant river... no. That's a lake.
    • NPCs are rude, uncaring heartless ***. Especially other fishing NPCs. They will constantly walk right into you while you're fishing and cause you to stumble, losing your fishing attempt. RUDE. Thankfully, we can kill them. And yes, the bounty you get from doing it feels so, so good. HAIL FISHIS!
    • Alcohol helps a lot. Turn fishing into a game. Whenever you find a gunny sack instead of the fish you want take a shot.
    • The developer who decided to put the Ocean fishing spots right in front of AD's gate is truly, truly evil. There's an entire coastline just East of the gate that looks like prime real estate for fishing ocean borne fish, but no... Nope. That's a lake. The Ocean spots are literally in the tiny river-like stream right in front of the AD gate. Again with faux rivers!
    • Shadowfen, being a giant swamp, has very few fishing spots for the size of the entire map. Given the map is mostly water you'd think there'd be more. Nope. It's entirely possible to spend almost an hour running around the map looking for lake spots and finding none. When you fish one a lake spot on the entire other end of the map can spawn.
    • There's a fish called a Hog Sucker. I don't know why but this greatly amuses me.
    • 90% of the time what you think will be Foul Water turns out to be a lake,
    • Alcohol helps a lot.
    • Foul Water can exist anywhere. Anywhere at all. Sometimes you'll find a single Foul spot right next to lake and river spots in the middle of nowhere. For no reason. Except to make you lose bait. You'll stop trying to figure out what's what and just pray to Jone and Jode you find what you're looking for.
    • There's 3" a puddle in Stormhaven that has a fishing spot just north of the Dreugh waters. It's literally too shallow for fish to exist in, but sure enough, they're there. Somewhere. Hiding.
    • Finding active Foul water spots in Malabor Tor will make you want to scream.
    • You'll never, EVER have to worry about XP again. Ever. For the rest of your life.
      Zd6sFM7.png
    • Alcohol helps a lot.
    • BONUS: Catching all the fish in Imperial City is 100X more dangerous than catching all the fish in Cyrodiil, and is compounded by the fact that all the fishing spots are foul. It took over 1,000+ bait to catch all the fish, and I won't even go into how many times I got ganked. It felt like half the time when I was about to pull up a fish I heard the telltale sounds of a meteor about to gently caress my forehead.

Best....thing....I've ever....read....on...these...forums
    ..you sir are a God...
  • kamimark
    kamimark
    ✭✭✭✭
    • Alcohol helps a lot. Turn fishing into a game. Whenever you find a gunny sack instead of the fish you want take a shot.
    • Foul Water can exist anywhere. Anywhere at all. Sometimes you'll find a single Foul spot right next to lake and river spots in the middle of nowhere. For no reason. Except to make you lose bait. You'll stop trying to figure out what's what and just pray to Jone and Jode you find what you're looking for.

I keep one hand on the keyboard, one hand on my beer or whiskey.

Foul water is usually well-marked with a corpse, but there are some where there's just hoarvar, or nothing? The 2 spots in Arenthia, Reaper's March were infuriating, because there's only some rubble nearby.

About 2/3rds done, but it's all the hard fish in the last zones.
    Kitty Rainbow Dash. pick, pick, stab.