The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.

Maelstrom Destro Staves a DPS downgrade without a Nirnhoned Option

• MrGigglypants
    MrGigglypants
    ✭✭✭
    Ezareth wrote: »
    I would just like to point out that Maelstrom Destro Staves in their current form, even without the recent 30% buff fall behind a crafted Nirnhoned Destro Staff.

You can use another piece of a build that will give you a 129 spell damage bonus (Like 5 Piece Julianos with Nirn Destro Staff, 3 Piece Elemental Succession or Overwhelming Surge, 3 Piece willpower for example).

The extra 60 Spell damage doesn't even provide more bonus damage than a basic fire enchant on a staff does.

Then it comes down to the fact that a legendary Nirnhoned Staff provides both 4% more Spell penetration *and* 18% spell resistance to your char than a Sharpened Maelstrom staff.

Unless you make destro staves drop in Nirnhoned then the Maelstrom staves become useless. No one uses wall of Elementals and it is useless in any sort of DPS rotation.

Lastly the 189 spell damage should actually be 193 spell damage for a legendary enchant if it follows the same example as a V16 spell damage set bonus on Willpower. 189 spell damage is the bonus you get with at purple V16 Willpower.

With the upcoming buff to wall of elements I think maelstrom staff will be leagues above a crafted. Not to mention 2 piece molag kena is far better than 1 piece kena 2 piece to torug.
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ezareth wrote: »
    I would just like to point out that Maelstrom Destro Staves in their current form, even without the recent 30% buff fall behind a crafted Nirnhoned Destro Staff.

You can use another piece of a build that will give you a 129 spell damage bonus (Like 5 Piece Julianos with Nirn Destro Staff, 3 Piece Elemental Succession or Overwhelming Surge, 3 Piece willpower for example).

The extra 60 Spell damage doesn't even provide more bonus damage than a basic fire enchant on a staff does.

Then it comes down to the fact that a legendary Nirnhoned Staff provides both 4% more Spell penetration *and* 18% spell resistance to your char than a Sharpened Maelstrom staff.

Unless you make destro staves drop in Nirnhoned then the Maelstrom staves become useless. No one uses wall of Elementals and it is useless in any sort of DPS rotation.

Lastly the 189 spell damage should actually be 193 spell damage for a legendary enchant if it follows the same example as a V16 spell damage set bonus on Willpower. 189 spell damage is the bonus you get with at purple V16 Willpower.

As a counter to your point - if you run a 5 piece (julianos), a 2 piece (Kena) and a 3 piece (willpower) then you have one slot left. I would take that 189 spell damage and sharpened over no bonus and nirnhoned

With that set up I'd take dual swords, 1 Nirn, 1 Precise. Over any DPS weapons, currently in game.

And you would lose a ton of dps because you are missing medium weaves, which average for me around 10k...