Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why did you get rid of animation canceling

Aunatar
Aunatar
✭✭✭
Okay, the title is everything you need: why did you get rid of animation canceling?
You claimed that it was intended to exist and it was a matter of player's skills, now you get rid of it?
What was the issue?
Edited by Aunatar on February 5, 2016 11:02AM
@Aunatar
V16 Sorcerer - Aunatar
V16 DK - Aunatarans (Currently main)
V16 DK - Aunatar Evereth
V16 DK - Aunataran
V16 NB - Aunatars
V4 Templar - Lysindel
Lvl 30 NB - Vile Aunataroni De Pipino
Free spot, looking for suggestions
  • Abob
    Abob
    ✭✭✭
    I FELT A DISTURBANCE ON THE FORCE, A TROLL MUST BE NEAR.
  • Chelos
    Chelos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They did not get rid of the game effect, they just changed the way how the things that are happening get animated.
    • Ich bin nicht merkwürdig ich bin eine limitierte Auflage!
    • I'm not weird I'm limited edition!
  • Aunatar
    Aunatar
    ✭✭✭
    Chelos wrote: »
    They did not get rid of the game effect, they just changed the way how the things that are happening get animated.

Full animation=no animation canceling.
    @Aunatar
    V16 Sorcerer - Aunatar
    V16 DK - Aunatar Evereth
    V16 DK - Aunataran
    V16 NB - Aunatars
    V4 Templar - Lysindel
  • Laranoye
    Laranoye
    ✭✭✭
    Aunatar wrote: »
    Okay, the title is everything you need: why did you get rid of animation canceling?
    You claimed that it was intended to exist and it was a matter of player's skills, now you get rid of it?
    What was the issue?

Because it was the sensible thing to do? It was basically exploiting and used by people who cannot play the game properly.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Post your feedback here: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/245038/official-feedback-thread-for-prioritization-of-combat-animations

Give them information on what's changed which you're not happy with, examples, videos, numbers etc. Rage threads don't help them improve the game.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Aunatar
    Aunatar
    ✭✭✭
    Laranoye wrote: »
    What was the issue?

Because it was the sensible thing to do? It was basically exploiting and used by people who cannot play the game properly.

"Exploiting"? Zemimax team itself said it was intended to work that way.
    @Aunatar
    V16 Sorcerer - Aunatar
    V16 DK - Aunatar Evereth
    V16 DK - Aunataran
    V16 NB - Aunatars
    V4 Templar - Lysindel
  • Aunatar
    Aunatar
    ✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Post your feedback here: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/245038/official-feedback-thread-for-prioritization-of-combat-animations

Give them information on what's changed which you're not happy with, examples, videos, numbers etc. Rage threads don't help them improve the game.

Where do you see a rage post? I posted a simple question and stated how controversial this change is with what they said long ago.
    @Aunatar
    V16 Sorcerer - Aunatar
    V16 DK - Aunatar Evereth
    V16 DK - Aunataran
    V16 NB - Aunatars
    V4 Templar - Lysindel
  • Chelos
    Chelos
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So you're effectively telling me that you have no idea what animation cancelling acutally is?
  • Aunatar
    Aunatar
    ✭✭✭

So you're effectively telling me that you have no idea what animation cancelling acutally is?

I am saying that they got rid of the skill's animation canceling. The only thing that changed is the animation happening between light/heavy attack and the skill itself. For example, trying to press block/bash will not cancel or block the animation (animation canceling): the animation of the skill will complete with no chances to be interrupted by the player. Let's pretend I am casting a skill against an enemy who's casting a channeled ability: I will have to wait for my skill to complete its animation before being able to interrupt the opponent with a bash.
    @Aunatar
    V16 Sorcerer - Aunatar
    V16 DK - Aunatar Evereth
    V16 DK - Aunataran
    V16 NB - Aunatars
    V4 Templar - Lysindel
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Animation still gets cancelled, except now it is the beginning of the second animation that gets cancelled(or more exactly, not shown), whereas before it was the ending of the first animation that got cancelled.

So you can have full animation of the first ability, and still have animation cancelling(of the beginning of the second ability)
  • Aunatar
    Aunatar
    ✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »

Animation still gets cancelled, except now it is the beginning of the second animation that gets cancelled(or more exactly, not shown), whereas before it was the ending of the first animation that got cancelled.

So you can have full animation of the first ability, and still have animation cancelling(of the beginning of the second ability)

Okay, but what I and most of the comumunity means is about canceling the second animation (the skill, surprise attack as example) with a bash or pressing block.
    @Aunatar
    V16 Sorcerer - Aunatar
    V16 DK - Aunatar Evereth
    V16 DK - Aunataran
    V16 NB - Aunatars
    V4 Templar - Lysindel
  • Chelos
    Chelos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, I would have been extremely shocked had you told us something else. :)

Maybe if I put it another way

They only changed the way it looks but not what happenes under the hood
    So your DPS will not change. It's just meant to make it look "nicer".
    Admittedly the looks part is a matter of taste
  • Aunatar
    Aunatar
    ✭✭✭

Sadly, you can't stop the animation of the skills anymore on PTS. The reality is a bit different from the patch notes, just go and test it. One easy thing you can do is equipping sword and shield and trying the usual light attack+skill+bash combo, or even trying to stop a skill in order to bash the enemy or to block an incoming dmg.
    @Aunatar
    V16 Sorcerer - Aunatar
    V16 DK - Aunatar Evereth
    V16 DK - Aunataran
    V16 NB - Aunatars
    V4 Templar - Lysindel
  • Chelos
    Chelos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I did.
    As it doesn't impede my efficiency in the game, I don't dwell on it.
    There's so many things to get mad about. This is just not worth the time.
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Sadly, you can't stop the animation of the skills anymore on PTS. The reality is a bit different from the patch notes, just go and test it. One easy thing you can do is equipping sword and shield and trying the usual light attack+skill+bash combo, or even trying to stop a skill in order to bash the enemy or to block an incoming dmg.

I did test it, works perfectly fine.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Aunatar
    Aunatar
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like everyone besides me can animation canceling properly. I will check again when it goes live then, might be an issue of latency (i'm playing in EU)
    @Aunatar
    V16 Sorcerer - Aunatar
    V16 DK - Aunatar Evereth
    V16 DK - Aunataran
    V16 NB - Aunatars
    V4 Templar - Lysindel
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Working fine my end. The roll dodging ani cancelling sometimes doesn't go off, but apart from that it's fine. Combat and movement in general does feel more sluggish though. I really hope they don't plan on releasing it like this.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What was the issue?

100 times again:

animation cancelling was not removed. the only thing that has changed is the prioritisation in terms on animations, tweak, nothing less nothing more....

stop it! and relax, AC stays in game of course
  • Laranoye
    Laranoye
    ✭✭✭
    What was the issue?

"Exploiting"? Zemimax team itself said it was intended to work that way.

No, They couldn't find an appropriate way of fixing it so decided it would be ok to run with it for a while, as they didnt seem to think it was too game breaking.. then changed their mind.. Because IT IS. .... Hence why they have now added half a fix to it... Do you read any dev notes?

Common think about it....
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [.

It's just you, and comments like 'most of the community' are a bit much.

Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was the issue?

If by exploit you mean utilizing a pre-existing mechanic to take advantage of opportunities for efficiency, then yes. Ani cancelling was used by people who can play the game properly. For months people have been arguing about how it's broken and unfair, but it's not. It's a combat mechanic available to everyone, and if one cannot properly AC or refuses to do so, then it's really a "deal with it" kind of situation. It doesn't suddenly become taboo b/c a few people refuse to use it.
  • Laranoye
    Laranoye
    ✭✭✭
    Autolycus wrote: »
    What was the issue?

If by exploit you mean utilizing a pre-existing mechanic to take advantage of opportunities for efficiency, then yes. Ani cancelling was used by people who can play the game properly. For months people have been arguing about how it's broken and unfair, but it's not. It's a combat mechanic available to everyone, and if one cannot properly AC or refuses to do so, then it's really a "deal with it" kind of situation. It doesn't suddenly become taboo b/c a few people refuse to use it.

So stringing a few attacks together instantly is fair?... rightttt.
    Its who ever can get 1st hit of first wins...

That's not a game. Its equivalent of bringing a knife to a gun fight lol.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was the issue?

So even the fight by bringing a gun yourself, or shut up about animation cancelling. You're all over the forums trashing it when there's no need. It's staying.
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was the issue?

I don't really see it this way tbh. I definitely understand the perspective, I just respectfully disagree.

The intention of ani cancelling is to provide efficiency. Due to the design of the combat system, attacks deal their respective damage mid-animation. By animation cancelling, all one is doing is starting the next attack during the portion of the animation that continues after the attack's damage has registered. Regardless of whether or not you see the rest of the attack is irrelevant - you've already taken the damage.

It's common knowledge at this point that ZOS has already addressed the primary concern with this combat mechanic, being the inability to see the entire animations for some attacks. I think you need to realize that the players who are making the best use of ani cancelling are not exploiting something that is unfair or unavailable to everyone else. Ideally, we should all be able to see the next attack coming if we're paying attention, and ZOS fixed this for the next update, did they not?
    Edited by Autolycus on February 5, 2016 3:15PM
  • Jumper45
    Jumper45
    ✭✭✭
    @Autolycus
    What was the issue?

You said it yourself its a "deal with it" situation. In the gaming industry those 3 words pretty much means broken and not working as it should or as well as it should. If youre smart enough to abuse ACing then youre smart enough to realize rules generally dictate something like ACing would have a UI or visual attachment and not a hidden combat mechanic that is in no way spoken about in game.

Just to throw something out there what you would be looking at is maybe a bar or a icon that light up or has a sweet spot for you to hit to make ACing work. Like gears of war reloading or something like that. Some type of visual so you know whats going on. Does this mean you should or shouldnt be doing it? Hell if I know. They cant stop you from doing it clearly because they cant fix it so why not. But seriously dont try justify the use of it. It is what it is. They made it pretty clear its not fixable at the moment or honestly they have soooooooo many other bugs to deal with before ACing.

To make it more clear so its fairly understandable to you what the situation really is. ACing is like putting 2 people in a fight and one is using groin shots or dirty tricks like throwing dirt in their face and at the moment the referee isn't there to call the shots. Thats pretty much what animation canceling is.... a dirty trick...

Edit: Also be aware. Logic dictates the fact they are patching ACing in any form what so ever means its not working as intended or as well as it should be. Lending validation to most peoples claims. Personally I am a healer so i don't have to pick a side. But i've also been playing MMO longer then some of these players have been born so I know what i see when I see it.
    Edited by Jumper45 on February 5, 2016 3:30PM
    “All right, I've been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager!
    Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man whose gonna burn your house down - with the lemons!” (Portal 2)

17 Years MMORPG Experience healing and I still havn't figured out why people stand in red circles.
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jumper45 wrote: »
    @Autolycus
    What was the issue?

You said it yourself its a "deal with it" situation. In the gaming industry those 3 words pretty much means broken and not working as it should or as well as it should. If youre smart enough to abuse ACing then youre smart enough to realize rules generally dictate something like ACing would have a UI or visual attachment and not a hidden combat mechanic that is in no way spoken about in game.

Just to throw something out there what you would be looking at is maybe a bar or a icon that light up or has a sweet spot for you to hit to make ACing work. Like gears of war reloading or something like that. Some type of visual so you know whats going on. Does this mean you should or shouldnt be doing it? Hell if I know. They cant stop you from doing it clearly because they cant fix it so why not. But seriously dont try justify the use of it. It is what it is. They made it pretty clear its not fixable at the moment or honestly they have soooooooo many other bugs to deal with before ACing.

To make it more clear so its fairly understandable to you what the situation really is. ACing is like putting 2 people in a fight and one is using groin shots or dirty tricks like throwing dirt in their face and at the moment the referee isn't there to call the shots. Thats pretty much what animation canceling is.... a dirty trick...

Edit: Also be aware. Logic dictates the fact they are patching ACing in any form what so ever means its not working as intended or as well as it should be. Lending validation to most peoples claims. Personally I am a healer so i don't have to pick a side. But i've also been playing MMO longer then some of these players have been born so I know what i see when I see it.

For starters, the manner in which you address me specifically is distasteful. My last post was in no way provocative or inaccurate, yet you speak to me like you know of my experience and credentials, and somehow that makes you better? It's not like I'm the one telling everyone to "deal with it," that's simply the verdict from ZOS. If they wanted to remove AC from the game, they would have instead of simply adding a QoL adjustment to it. Also, some of your comments suggest you didn't actually read my other posts, as you didn't address a couple of points that I mentioned which contradict what you've said here:

1. They can stop us from doing it, but won't because they want it to remain.
    2. They can fix it, but they chose to leave it in the game because they like the way it works and don't feel the need to redo the combat system.
    3. They adjusted the animations as a courtesy to players, to make attacks easier to predict, but to allow for this combat mechanic to remain. Logic dictates that after doing an analysis of animation cancelling and deciding that all they needed to do was make some attacks more transparent, that the combat system is almost where they want it to be. Making a minor improvement to a mechanic is not the same as an admission of a broken mechanic.

There is no point addressing me specifically or quoting me if you're going to ignore part of my initial comments, and frankly I don't care how old you are or how much MMO experience you have, as you know nothing of me or my experience, and thus discrediting me on such grounds is without merit.

The underlying issue here is the inability to see any of the animation of certain abilities in a string of attacks. ZOS already addressed it, and it's rolling out in the next month.
    Edited by Autolycus on February 5, 2016 4:06PM
  • Laranoye
    Laranoye
    ✭✭✭
    @Autolycus
    What was the issue?

Exactly what i have been trying to portray.
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Autolycus
    What was the issue?

Exactly what i have been trying to portray.

And its still incorrect
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's not gone fully but almost ZOS just needs to drive that final nail to get rid of it.

Why you may ask. It is a broken mechanic that was never intentional that exploiters used to gain a very unfair advantage over others.
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Autolycus
    What was the issue?

@Jumper45, lets take a look at ZOS' 'official' guide to animation canceling. Specifically at the picture they use to describe it. Notice how that block of red moves to the other bar? They could have easily made them all green, thus getting rid of animation canceling. But instead the put the time effort and testing into moving it to the front of the second bar. That takes actual coding and effort.

Far more coding and effort than would be worth it if they planned to get rid of it.

In the Thieves Guild update, we wanted to make it more clear which attacks players are using, while preserving the responsiveness and feel of the combat system. So, we started with a simple premise: if an ability is successful, you should be able to see it impact (or launch, in the case of projectiles). Now, every successful attack will display until the moment of impact/launch. Instead of canceling the impact/launch of the first ability, we now obscure the first few milliseconds of the interrupting ability.

795bf0b64a4ab2d14400f29610ec6d.jpg

The above examples show a Heavy Attack interrupted with an instant ability. The green part is what you see, and the red part is what is not shown. In the first example, you can see the way it is currently on the Live megaservers and has been since launch. The Heavy Attack can be interrupted at almost any time during the wind-up. At the time it is interrupted, the strike happens, but it is invisible because it is obscured by the beginning of the interrupting ability. The second example shows our current method of handling interruptions. Instead of obscuring the strike/launch, we show it up until that point of impact/firing, opting to instead obscure the (less important) first few frames of the interrupting ability.

We believe this visual adjustment meets the criteria we set when we were designing this improvement:
    • A successfully-fired ability should not be visually obscured; if an attack lands or an ability is launched, we should show it happening
    • DPS and other playstyles should not be adversely affected
    • The game’s “feel” should not change

One side effect of this change is that there are shorter (or in some cases, no) blend times to smooth the transitions depending on exactly when you choose to fire an interrupting ability. When you’re dealing in milliseconds and giving players that kind of freedom , you sometimes have to forego perfectly smooth transitions in order to make sure the player is receiving proper feedback and telegraphing to other players exactly what they are choosing to do. Having said that, if you find particularly egregious combinations (ability X interrupted with ability Y), please let us know; there may be some things we can do to help smooth them out.

As always, we welcome your feedback. In fact, it will be instrumental in informing us how to proceed with this improvement. Our internal testing has proven to be very successful, but there are so many different playstyles, builds and rotations, we want to make sure we try to implement this in a way that feels good in all cases and doesn’t need to be taught through a tutorial; exactly what you see is what is happening.

I can say with high confidence that they are sticking with this statement; https://youtu.be/ThZtwhYkKSs
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
This discussion has been closed.