Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "ESO – The Year Ahead"

• LearnThis
    LearnThis
    ✭✭✭
    I know I read about the character customization but I did not see the word "race" in there. Was there a reason that was not spoken of or at least mentioned?

As a few before have said, I too am sad to read the VR changes are happening during the second quarter and not sooner.

Thank you for the informational update.
    PSN: LearnThis
    Bosmer Nightblade (Master Crafting, everything researched)
    Dunmer Dragonknight
    Breton Nightblade
    Breton Mage
    Argonian Templar
    Norn Dragonknight
    High Elf Dragonknight

Champion Points are capped

~I have completed Cadwell's Silver six times and Gold four times... Please do not tell me about the experience of leveling.~
  • Bloodfang
    Bloodfang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »
    Sidenote: The ~9 months between Nov 2014 and August 2015 was a pretty significant content draught for ESO, which will hopefully never happen again now that you are on track to releasing big content batches quarterly.

Update 5 -> November 2014
    Update 6 -> March 2015 (4 months)
    Update 7 -> August 2015 (5 months)

There was never 9 months of content drought.

• craigr02
    craigr02
    ✭✭✭
    I'm upset the vr ranks will not be taken away sooner. I was looking forward to that change, and using my new toon. Not having to level him up to vr 16 like my other, which will probably take me until the next quarter. I also wonder about the getting skill points too. They only talked about Skyshards alliance war and quests. They did not mention when your character levels, in his case when you get another 10 champ points. I also did not like that they did not mention race in changes as well.
  • DEPRE5SED
    DEPRE5SED
    ✭✭
    What about the earned skill points from vet levels 2 through 16? Will all those still be obtainable?
  • Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Possible look of nameplate implementation:

ZGn7NID.jpg
  • MaxwellC
    MaxwellC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A bit disappointing in the lack of upcoming class changes that I believe were to come out with thieves guild update. I'm bored of not being able to make use of my DK abilities and am tired of having to mix up CP due to ultimate/skills scaling off different CP even though it's stamina based.
    不動の Steadfast - Unwavering
    XBL Gamer Tag - Maxwell
    XB1 Maxwell Crystal - NA DC CP 800+ Redguard Stamina DK
    XB1 Max Crystal - NA DC CP 800+ Brenton Magicka DK
    PC Maxwell-Crystal - NA DC - CP 200+ Brenton Magicka DK 「Retired」
    Band Camp statements: To state "But this one time I saw X doing X... so that justifies X" Refers to the Band camp statement.
    Coined by Maxwel
    l
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What will happen with those attribute points we got for veteran ranks?

Indeed; will current VR characters have theirs removed? It seems like the only way to avoid a permanent advantage on the part of the established player base although I dread the raging that will come with it... ;)

I am afraid though that if they remove those 15 points it is gonna destroy lot of builds. They should transfer those also to the champion system. Till CP 160 you gain one attribute per 10 CP.

Don't forget the skill points - there's 15 of those too. I like your proposal of blending them in to the Champion system. I saw another idea of providing 2 SPs/APs at levels 5, 10, 15, etc., but that would only take care of 10 of the points.

I'd rather see them figure out another way to earn those points rather than remove them. For someone who doesn't PVP, I'm missing out on SPs from Alliance Ranks as well as the Cyrodiil skyshards. Don't want to lose 15 more! :smile:
  • Rozyn
    Rozyn
    ✭✭
    I'll be the one casual to bring up housing lol. Great to hear this is still coming at some point, I'd just like to request that it isn't some super end-game feature that's so expensive no one can afford to enjoy it. Housing gives a sense of belonging to a game world in a way that few other features do. It makes me feel like a citizen rather than a visitor and I really dig that about other games with it. The sooner you can get that feeling, even if it's just an inn room, the better!
  • Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    davidtxr wrote: »
    More stuff to make the game lag even more ! The end is nigh

I think you're confusing FPS with lag. All SCT, nameplates, etc are handled exclusively on the client and require no client-server communication which doesn't affect lag positively or negatively.
  • ZOS_RichLambert
    ZOS_RichLambert
    Creative Director

You will now earn the extra attribute/skill points while leveling up from 1-50. Here's a quick chart to help explain it better

Level - Bonus Attribute/Skill Points
    5 - 1
    10 - 2
    15 - 1
    20 - 2
    25 - 1
    30 - 2
    35 - 1
    40 - 2
    45 - 1
    50 - 3
    Total 16

Note: This is different than what I posted in November last year. We've been iterating on the design for a bit now and this is a much more straightforward approach.
    Edited by ZOS_RichLambert on January 12, 2016 6:36PM
    Rich Lambert
    Creative Director - The Elder Scrolls Online
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube
    Staff Post
  • Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    [Post Removed]

Rich clarified skill and attribute points with VR removal.

Edited by Dominoid on January 12, 2016 6:11PM
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You will now earn the extra attribute/skill points while leveling up from 1-50. Every 10 levels you will get 2 of each instead of 1. At 50 you will get 3.

Note: This is different than what I posted in November last year. We've been iterating on the design for a bit now and this is a much more straightforward approach.

I assume this is also the case for skill points?

EDIT: sorry, just re-read your post, and saw that you said "two of each." :smile:
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on January 12, 2016 6:10PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You will now earn the extra attribute/skill points while leveling up from 1-50. Every 10 levels you will get 2 of each instead of 1. At 50 you will get 3.

This is a good idea and it gets rid of the "Champion Rank is just another name for Veteran Rank" issue.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [Delete]
    Edited by code65536 on January 12, 2016 6:13PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Slylok
    Slylok
    ✭✭✭
    Great news! Tons of amazing upcoming content! So exciting!

Though I am disappointed I didn't read " PvP Arena coming soon " and " Complete redesign of Cyrodil into a PvE zone ".. The redesign would be because Arenas would kill off large scale PvP anyway and Cyrodil would be wasted... IMO its potential was / is already wasted.
    Youtube ESO First Person Gameplay - http://tinyurl.com/o6evusk

Twitter - SlylokYoutube

Google+ - Slylok
  • Murmeltier
    Murmeltier
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok, "Longer term, expect to see information about systems like a character customization shop so you can change your character's gender, appearance, name, etc.", sounds good.

But i dont read anything about the Racechange, is this coming too, or do you have this canceled? It is a big Thing and should stand in the Text too.
    Edited by Murmeltier on January 13, 2016 11:45AM
  • Saturn
    Saturn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bloodfang wrote: »
    Sidenote: The ~9 months between Nov 2014 and August 2015 was a pretty significant content draught for ESO, which will hopefully never happen again now that you are on track to releasing big content batches quarterly.

March's update was Update 6, which besides the overhaul of how the game works only had the Justice system, which is "meta content", meaning it adds nothing new but expands upon existing things = we all f**ked around with it for an hour and then most of us got bored.
    Edited by Saturn on January 12, 2016 6:14PM
    "Madness is a bitter mercy, perhaps, but a mercy nonetheless."

Fire and Ice
  • ZOS_RichLambert
    ZOS_RichLambert
    Creative Director
    @Jayne_Doe - Yep! (edited my original reply to remove any confusion)
    Rich Lambert
    Creative Director - The Elder Scrolls Online
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube
    Staff Post
  • craigr02
    craigr02
    ✭✭✭
    One other question, will they unbind, bound drops. I'm having a heck of a time putting sets together because of this! There's several sets I want to try, but getting it vr 16 has been an issue. It sucks, when I know my buddies have it, and are just deconstructing it since they don't need it! Fix this!
  • Woodoochill
    Woodoochill
    ✭✭✭
    Well I thought u talked about PVP arenas and duels later in 2015 but there is not a single word about it. :( I'm not sure what thats supposed to mean.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have to say I'm a bit disappointed seing the Enforcer system getting axed, Spellcrafting being on the back burner and the barber shop delayed once again.
    With all these upcoming game systems stopped in development or getting delayed, I'm wondering what we are going to actually get instead? The article could have focused a bit more on that. The only noteworthy news we got were bad :(

Hope you will have something actually new for us on Friday at ESO Live.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZOS_RichLambert Are you removing some points, or have you miscounted? That only accounts for 6, and there are 15 points at stake. You need 2 points every 5 and 3 points every 10 to cover them all.

Edit: This comment is void because Rich updated his original to clarify.

You will now earn the extra attribute/skill points while leveling up from 1-50. Here's a quick chart to help explain it better

Level - Bonus Attribute/Skill Points
    5 - 1
    10 - 2
    15 - 1
    20 - 2
    25 - 1
    30 - 2
    35 - 1
    40 - 2
    45 - 1
    50 - 3
    Total 16

Edited by Enodoc on January 12, 2016 6:55PM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bloodfang wrote: »

March's update was Update 6, which besides the overhaul of how the game works only had the Justice system, which is "meta content", meaning it adds nothing new but expands upon existing things = we all f**ked around with it for an hour and then most of us got bored.

Don't speak for me.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »

@ZOS_RichLambert Are you removing some points, or have you miscounted? That only accounts for 6, and there are 15 points at stake. You need 2 points every 5 and 3 points every 10 to cover them all.

Thanks, Enodoc! I was just looking at that again and thinking the same thing.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Is my math wrong? That only seems to account for 6 out of the 15.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Lord_Wrath
    Lord_Wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope ZoS can continue this communication with us. I missed the Road Ahead articles, and im hoping this isnt the only one for the year!
    1300+ CP | Lørd Wrath | - Sorcerer - Palatine - Grand Master Crafter - 30000 Achievement Points
    Launch Player - PC - NA - EP
  • leandro.800ub17_ESO
    leandro.800ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope we get more details on next zone

-Skills and Passives ?
    -Dailyes asociated with new sets (by stealing)
    -Trial ?
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ShadowHvo wrote: »
    other features we are working on include scrolling combat text (which will go live with the Thieves Guild DLC in Q1), character nameplates,

Please PLEASE ensure this is 100% optional, and give everyone the option to -not- let others see their character nameplates.

And I really hope that you guys won't neglect the importance of the visual response in the game because of scrolling combat text. There are many of us here who're playing for the Elder Scrolls Experience, and I want to see visually on screen what is going on with effects and abilities, and I have absolutely no desire to be forced into focusing on a bunch of text scrolling down the screen.

Nameplates will have toggles so you can choose to turn them on or off. The same goes for scrolling combat text. (And both will be off by default.) We're dedicated to ensuring players have enough visual feedback during combat to play with SCT turned off.

What about implementing a Chat Tab for combat text? I would LOVE an official combat log, but I absolutely hate cluttering up my screen withing neon flying crap.
    Gore-of-the-Forest Argonian Nightblade
    Wode Earthrender Breton Dragonknight
    Ceol the Last Baron Redguard Dragonknight
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
    Erebain Salothran Dark Elf Templar
    Rituals-of-the-Forest Argonian Warden
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I saw that someone posted the same question as I was typing mine and ZOS answered it, sounds good.

EDIT- Thanks for the update by the way, I am so excited for the upcoming updates and I am glad we finally have some real content to chew on.

SECOND EDIT- Have you thought of putting the spells linked to Spellcrafting into other skill lines that may be released like: Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, College of Winterhold etc.? I think adding these spells would give it more of an ES feel to the game and expand diversity.
    Edited by OtarTheMad on January 12, 2016 6:33PM
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Divinius wrote: »
    We will not be adding in the previously discussed PvP component of the Justice System. We caveated this many times - as I said at the ESO QuakeCon presentation in 2014, it was always going to be very difficult making it fun, but not exploitable. When introducing new systems to the game, our number one goal is to make sure that we don't introduce new problems. Having players enforce justice on the criminal activity of other players has the potential to introduce imbalances and other issues that greatly outweigh any potential gameplay benefits. The game's central concept of "PvP in PvP areas and be safe in safe areas" needs to stay the way it is.

Thank you, thank you, for finally officially killing that horrible idea. I love you. :smiley:

In terms of the overall design direction of the game, it's very sad that they are canning the PvP part of the Justice System. All of the low hanging fruit complaints about the system that everyone gets so scared about (e.g. camping lowbies when they loot desks) are easily avoidable with smart design. Think about what such a system would represent: a constantly evolving and actually meaningful player experience, where your actions in the world matter. Making player actions matter in the shared space of an MMO world is an area where the game genre needs to innovate. With this system, as well as Spellcrafting and Housing, among others, ESO had a chance to start straddling the line between theme park and sandbox in a unique way, and also get an edge over upcoming MMOs that are building more sandboxy worlds and bringing the challenge back to MMO gaming.

To me, it seems like spellcrafting and PvP justice system are the remnants of pre-B2P design direction that prioritized player-driven, dynamic (as opposed to grindy, easily parsable, and monetized) gameplay. As such, it sounds like finishing them would be more work than they would stand to generate in revenue because, in the game's current economic model, 'short-term' transactions are valued more than 'long-term' subscriptions. On one hand, if they implemented these two big, combat-focused systems into the base game it would not generate any significant new revenue like DLCs do. On the other hand, if they somehow monetized them, it would likely condemn the game to pay-to-win status. Seems like a lose-lose for ZOS with either direction, though at least that would mean they still seem to be still avoiding the P2W abyss.
    Edited by ThatNeonZebraAgain on January 12, 2016 6:31PM
    Gore-of-the-Forest Argonian Nightblade
    Wode Earthrender Breton Dragonknight
    Ceol the Last Baron Redguard Dragonknight
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
    Erebain Salothran Dark Elf Templar
    Rituals-of-the-Forest Argonian Warden