The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Joys of Tanking using the Group Finder

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fruitmass wrote: »
    Please if you do not have the appropriate gear, attributes or skills to perform the role do not queue for it.
    And I think (hope) that's something we can all agree on.

On my VR16 Templar I'll queue as all roles because I swap out my gear and skill bars for a different load-out to let me tank or DPS or heal, depending on what's needed (note: I can't do all 3 at the same time! I can only swap between the roles while out of combat). On my other characters at best I can swap between 2 roles (my VR15 DK who swaps between tank and DPS), while most of them can only do 1 role. I have enough skill points and the appropriate gear sets to do any of the roles on one character. I don't on my others, so I only queue for what I know I can do with a particular character.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • TalonShina
    TalonShina
    ✭✭✭
    Lol @ some of these posts. There's no reason the healer role should be filled with a non-Templar. It's not about skill level, it's about the efficacy of which Templars can perform the task. How do things like this even need clarified?

Because some players with other classes like to heal too and are very good at it ?
    Because it's nice to change and try some new things and not always follow the same supposedly one compulsory way ?
    Because some people don't roll templars just because "ppl will expect me to heal and I don't want to be a healer ?

Because such clichés like "only templars can heal" and "a templar must heal" cause a lot of prejudice to the game, the gameplay, the diversity and the players ?

Because it causes boredom ?

How do things like this even need to be explained ?

There have been things on these forums I have disagreed with you on but this is not one of them. There is a reason each class can fill each of the traditional roles it gives the game depth and allows more experimenting not every combo will work and not every player will be able to handle something like healing unless using a templar but the options are there and they can be quite good if used right.

I really liked your use of the cliches
    Talons Fury - Sorc. Tank
    Dargothic Empire : Main Guild

Be Unconventional! Make Dargothic Empire one of your five guild homes. New Guild building for a full gaming experience. Make the guild what you need. PVE/PVP groups, helping hands and MORE...It's up to you Dargothic Empire is your guild to build! C3 Voice Channel, Website: dargothicempire.shivtr.com
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got my vWGT speed run at VR16 with a PUG (we grouped for a vet pledge via LFG and decided to try for a vWGT run after) that had no Templars in it and a grand total of just three deaths in the group over the entire run. We had two magicka nightblades (I was one if them, as the tank), and had so much passive group healing that we didn't really need much dedicated healing. When I DPS on my magblade, I can easily pull over 13K HPS for the group as just a passive side effect of my DPS (I'm not even trying to heal). For competent (not good, just competent) groups that avoid standing in stupid, I'd probably prefer a nightblade because that extra DPS will make things go faster.
    Edited by code65536 on January 1, 2016 3:11AM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My characters ranked by healing ability:

1. Magicka Nightblade
    2. Magicka Sorc
    3. Templar

BoL seems to be the go-to spell, but Healing Ward is actually better because it targets the lowest health player.

The Moot Councillor
  • Aimora
    Aimora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is such a misconception that the only viable healing class is a Templar - of course with spear or repentance it make resource management easier for other classes, but temps are not the only class that can adequately heal. I healed all of the content up until cap and doing end game trials and never had a problem as the main healer. A friend of mine was an excellent NB healer.
    Aimora Gilidhren - 50 Hybrid Sorcerer
    Aimae Gilihdril - 50Templar Healer
    Aimsae Astasia - 50 Templar Tank
    Aimellie Halfpenny - 50 Nightblade spinning DPS
    Sofae Ethelbur - 50 Dragonknight Tank
    Sha'Mash 50 - Nightblade - Former Empress
    Saelenor Wilihfren 50 - Templar No. 3
    Seliene Harbingerin 50 - DK in training
    Aims For Equanimity 10 - Magicka DK

Circle of the Phoenix - Guild Mistress
    Elysium - Guild 2nd in Command
    Auridon Trading Company - Joint GM

Looking for a friendly, progress focused guild check us out at thecircleofthephoenix.gamerlaunch.com/

Check me out at Anook anook.com/aimora
  • Aimora
    Aimora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heindrich wrote: »
    The problem with non-Templar healers isn't that they can't heal well enough... If you take so much damage that you need BoL spam to stay alive, then it's not the Healer's fault if you die.

The problem with non-templar healers is that they cannot support stamina dps and tanks with stamina management due to lack of Repentance and Shards. All min/max'd dps players (rightly) build for max dps and rely on the Healer for resource management. Even the best tanks sometimes need help with stamina management in the more demanding dungeons. Thus templars are still most people's healer of choice.

... but there are VERY FEW "more demanding dungeons" in the game right now, and because of such statements, people still firmly believe that "only templars can heal". Which is silly. My sorc can heal perfectly anything in the game except SO, HR, vWGT, vCOA, vICP and vDSA . But 95% of the time she DPS'es because "only templars can heal"... (and there's a serious lack of healers in my guilds... but "only templars can heal"...). I gave up on that "fight", I must admit...

Sorry, the resto staff powers don't cut it for a tank that actually does his job taunting multiple enemies. Got to keep the glass cannons alive!

Running though most dungeons with these yolo swag hybrid builds CAN be done but only by a very, very small percentage of the population.

I would rather have a level 10 Templar healer, than a V16 Yolo Swag Resto Sorcerer. No doubt about it.

Not sure you have grouped with a good Sorcerer healer yet then!
    Aimora Gilidhren - 50 Hybrid Sorcerer
    Aimae Gilihdril - 50Templar Healer
    Aimsae Astasia - 50 Templar Tank
    Aimellie Halfpenny - 50 Nightblade spinning DPS
    Sofae Ethelbur - 50 Dragonknight Tank
    Sha'Mash 50 - Nightblade - Former Empress
    Saelenor Wilihfren 50 - Templar No. 3
    Seliene Harbingerin 50 - DK in training
    Aims For Equanimity 10 - Magicka DK

Circle of the Phoenix - Guild Mistress
    Elysium - Guild 2nd in Command
    Auridon Trading Company - Joint GM

Looking for a friendly, progress focused guild check us out at thecircleofthephoenix.gamerlaunch.com/

Check me out at Anook anook.com/aimora
  • MrDerrikk
    MrDerrikk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd just like to say that I was speed helm-farming CoH last night with 3DD's (2 Sorcs and my DK) and a Sorc healer, and we did just as well as it would have otherwise been if we had a Templar healer. He even ran Ele Drain when I asked, so I didn't need to run it myself.

I also am leveling a NB healer, and have been able to heal every non-vet dungeon that I have done with absolute ease, just relying on Funnel Health, Mutagen, Refreshing Path for the melee/tank, and Healing Ward when a burst heal is needed.
    I have departed into the great unknown that is outside the game and the forums, and wish you well in your Tamriel adventures!

DC - PC - EU - Australian
    VR11 Mrderrikk: Breton Stam Sorc (Vamp) | VR16 Derrikkinblack: Dunmer Mage DK | VR3 Cuts-Until-It-Dies: Argonian Magicka NB

Oh look, Anook.
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol @ some of these posts. There's no reason the healer role should be filled with a non-Templar. It's not about skill level, it's about the efficacy of which Templars can perform the task. How do things like this even need clarified?

Finally! Thank you.

I'm talking about joining random players for a group dungeon.

I realize that everyone on the forum is MLG Pro Healer Sorcerer, but for the overwhelming majority that's not the case.

This isn't World of Warcraft where each spec and class has predetermined roles. I was in the #2 ranked alliance raiding guild on my server in WoW...so I do have a bit of insight. Did you know a NB is actually the premiere healer for Vet City of Ash last boss? Neither of you have any clue what you are talking about.

As stated previously, with a decent group, I can dish out relatively good DPS as a Sorc Healer, more than a healer Templar. That makes me optimal. The problem with the players in this game stems from those who came from games like WoW and are used to classes having specific roles....I myself was guilty of that when I started this game at launch. I know better now.

The funny thing about this game, if I get booted from a Pug for being a Sorc Healer I instantly know that group is a wipe fest and the dps are fails. Efficient Vet Groups know the benefit a Sorc Healer brings, and that is not to discount a Templar. Any class with a resto staff and Healing Ward and Mutagen/Rapid Regen can heal any of the vets really.

Again, you both have no clue. You just had a bad sorc in your group. There's a but involved with gearing to get it correct.

Edited by Makkir on January 1, 2016 5:18AM
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Each class has enough sustainability/survivability you really don't even need a healer for most vet dungeons so long you don't have Tunnel vision pugs who stand in red circles.
    Edited by Makkir on January 1, 2016 5:16AM
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    I got my vWGT speed run at VR16 with a PUG (we grouped for a vet pledge via LFG and decided to try for a vWGT run after) that had no Templars in it and a grand total of just three deaths in the group over the entire run. We had two magicka nightblades (I was one if them, as the tank), and had so much passive group healing that we didn't really need much dedicated healing. When I DPS on my magblade, I can easily pull over 13K HPS for the group as just a passive side effect of my DPS (I'm not even trying to heal). For competent (not good, just competent) groups that avoid standing in stupid, I'd probably prefer a nightblade because that extra DPS will make things go faster.
    I'd love to get a look at your build for your nightblade. I've got a low level magicka nightblade alt on my second account who I'm attempting to level towards a healer/DPS build that sounds a lot like what you describe. Some ideas on what to build towards would be great.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • emeraldbay
    emeraldbay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    as someone who has literally healed with every class except Templar, I can say with absolute certainty that it's more than possible, if you have a group that actually knows what they're doing.

hell, even some of the worse groups I've been able to keep alive, though it's a real pain when people decide they want to spread out as far as they can and start backing away when they realize those three trash mobs they pulled do a lot more damage than they thought.
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Makkir wrote: »

Finally! Thank you.

I'm talking about joining random players for a group dungeon.

I realize that everyone on the forum is MLG Pro Healer Sorcerer, but for the overwhelming majority that's not the case.

This isn't World of Warcraft where each spec and class has predetermined roles. I was in the #2 ranked alliance raiding guild on my server in WoW...so I do have a bit of insight. Did you know a NB is actually the premiere healer for Vet City of Ash last boss? Neither of you have any clue what you are talking about.

As stated previously, with a decent group, I can dish out relatively good DPS as a Sorc Healer, more than a healer Templar. That makes me optimal. The problem with the players in this game stems from those who came from games like WoW and are used to classes having specific roles....I myself was guilty of that when I started this game at launch. I know better now.

The funny thing about this game, if I get booted from a Pug for being a Sorc Healer I instantly know that group is a wipe fest and the dps are fails. Efficient Vet Groups know the benefit a Sorc Healer brings, and that is not to discount a Templar. Any class with a resto staff and Healing Ward and Mutagen/Rapid Regen can heal any of the vets really.

Again, you both have no clue. You just had a bad sorc in your group. There's a but involved with gearing to get it correct.

Again, you missed the point of the thread. You may be the exception, but its certainly not the rule when using the group finder tool.

Side note: Please tell me more of your WoW background and Alliance ranking. I'm wearing a purple suit and listening intently.

Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • Malmai
    Malmai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    demendred wrote: »
    This is what happens when you play a game run by interns.

Haha so true !