The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)

ZOS - Will console disk version require a cdkey, or is used/renting a viable option?

• NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »
    This thread hurts my head.

Okay which of these is correct?

Person A buys ESO disk, ZOS Account A is created and tied to XBL/PSN account A:

_Person B gets on Person A's console, but signs into XBL/PSN account B, can not access ESO on that console.

_Person B gets on Person A's console, but signs into XBL/PSN account B, can play on that console so long as a second purchased game is linked to ZOS Account B.

_Person B gets on Person A's console, but signs into XBL/PSN account B, creates ZOS account B, but can only play on Console A.

_Person B gets on Person A's console, but signs into XBL/PSN account B, creates ZOS account B, but can play ESO now on Console A and home Console B, no second purchase needed.

_Person A gives disk to Person B, Person B logs into Console B on XBL/PSN account B, must buy game to create ZOS Account B.

_Person A gives disk to Person B, Person B logs into Console B on XBL/PSN account B, creates ZOS Account B and plays. No second purchase.

None as PSN and Xbox One have different features. I'm hesitant to agree that PS4 has the same sharing that Xbox One has for games and xbl gold on one specific console.

BUT

If person A buys a digital TESOU on Xbox one. Person A creates/uses their ZOS account
    If person A has that Xbox one set as their home Xbox one and choose to share gold too on that home Xbox one....person B, C, D, E, F can all play person A's digital copy only on Person A's console IF and only IF person B creates/uses person B's ZOS account, same for all

Xbl-+ZOS account has to match A-A, B-B, C-C, D-D, etc. on Person A's console that shares both the game and xbl gold then only one game is required.

Disc will be the same on Xbox One too

Someone else will need to comment on PS4
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • KrisButtar
    KrisButtar
    ✭✭✭
    This thread hurts my head.

Okay which of these is correct?

Person A buys ESO disk, ZOS Account A is created and tied to XBL/PSN account A:

_Person B gets on Person A's console, but signs into XBL/PSN account B, can not access ESO on that console.

_Person B gets on Person A's console, but signs into XBL/PSN account B, can play on that console so long as a second purchased game is linked to ZOS Account B.

_Person B gets on Person A's console, but signs into XBL/PSN account B, creates ZOS account B, but can only play on Console A.

_Person B gets on Person A's console, but signs into XBL/PSN account B, creates ZOS account B, but can play ESO now on Console A and home Console B, no second purchase needed.

_Person A gives disk to Person B, Person B logs into Console B on XBL/PSN account B, must buy game to create ZOS Account B.

_Person A gives disk to Person B, Person B logs into Console B on XBL/PSN account B, creates ZOS Account B and plays. No second purchase.

My head hurts after reading all. Not sure what is different about the rules between the XB1 and PS4 but they seem to have the same final result. I don't see anything different between the two in this area. These rules apply for the PS4 since Smurf did XB1, it looks to be the same all except FF14.

Everyone has access to each game purchased on the console regardless.
    If one of the IDs on the console have a Plus account all the accounts also have access to online multiplayer and the plus titles.

My "primary console" is at my sisters house and since I'm a plus member she has access to everything, along with any number of users as long as they are using the primary console. I don't have to be there or signed in.

So while she is playing online on her ID thanks to that console being my primary. I can play online using my ID anywhere I want with access to all my content which is usually at home on what I would call my secondary console. Also she plays my digital purchased games on her console because its registered as my primary, games like FC4, Unity, COD, etc and I can play my digital games at the same time at my home with my secondary PS4, we can even co-op in FC4 or any other digital game I own or plus title. In a sense buying digital on console grants you 2 copies on the game. One copy always being granted access on the primary console and the other copy being tied to my account which I can play on any console. Buying games digitally on PS3 basically granted you 5 copies of the game I'm told.

Edit: Hope I explained that right its kinda early here. Hopefully the rental from gamefly works as I know people who use that service to try out games and then decide after if its worth the purchase.
    Edited by KrisButtar on May 13, 2015 12:55PM
  • ZOS_GaryA
    ZOS_GaryA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EDIT: This post has been edited to include the correct information on this question:

The physical console version of The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited does not require a one-time game code. As with any other boxed PS4 / Xbox One game only the game disc is needed for verification.
    Edited by ZOS_GaryA on May 14, 2015 2:05PM
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think there are problems unique to MMO's (bots, gold sellers, economy, etc.) that make the idea of used/shared/borrowed games very dangerous. It would give scammers and spammers an easy opportunity to get lots and lots of characters into the game with little to no cost. Other console games are weighing people wanting to abuse the system to play for free versus the convenience of paying customers. But in MMO's, it is not really that some people might get away with playing for free, which you could write off as an unavoidable cost of doing business. They impact the developers bottom line, but that is about it. In an MMO, those players abusing the system are not so much freeloaders as bots and gold spammers who can utterly ruin the play experience of your paying customers. They can actually affect the core game experience itself in a negative way, which is not really the case in games like COD, Halo, Skyrim, etc.
  • oehk
    oehk
    ✭✭
    ZOS_GaryA wrote: »
    Hey there folks,

To clarify, you will need a unique game registration code in order to play the game, and used copies will not be eligible to receive a key if the code has already been redeemed.

It works the same way as the PC version in that the code included in the box is to activate your ESOTU account and the discs are for installation purposes. If you own the disc but don't have a key, you'll be able to install the game and reach the login screen, but you won't be able to log in and access the game without an active ESOTU account.

So this makes it sound like it varies from the way all other games work on the XBox One. (ie the home console setting)

Will you be providing a way to purchase a key only, for those households that have 1 XBox One and 4 gamers? No other game on the XB1 has restricted it this way. This does not sound promising.

Please elaborate more @ZOS_GaryA
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oehk wrote: »
    Hey there folks,

To clarify, you will need a unique game registration code in order to play the game, and used copies will not be eligible to receive a key if the code has already been redeemed.

It works the same way as the PC version in that the code included in the box is to activate your ESOTU account and the discs are for installation purposes. If you own the disc but don't have a key, you'll be able to install the game and reach the login screen, but you won't be able to log in and access the game without an active ESOTU account.

So this makes it sound like it varies from the way all other games work on the XBox One. (ie the home console setting)

Will you be providing a way to purchase a key only, for those households that have 1 XBox One and 4 gamers? No other game on the XB1 has restricted it this way. This does not sound promising.

Please elaborate more @ZOS_GaryA
    Unless they intend to give console players perks PC players don't, you need ONE account for EVERY PLAYER. Account sharing is not allowed.

If ZOS DO allow console p[layers to share accounts in the way you're describing the damned well better let PC players do the same!
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So the two above replies seem to point to scenario 3 being how it works, but from GaryA's post it sounds more like scenario 2. (And of course scenario 5.)
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • KrisButtar
    KrisButtar
    ✭✭✭
    So the two above replies seem to point to scenario 3 being how it works, but from GaryA's post it sounds more like scenario 2. (And of course scenario 5.)

yeah the only console game I know of that did the same last gen or current gen is FF14. Didn't phase me much other than it was odd, I just bought more than one copy. FF14 was my 1st MMO so I figured it was the norm and along with why I can't lend/trade it in. Since playing other console MMOs its still the only one like that...well until ESO releases.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I signed into three different Xbox live accounts during beta.
    My account I used my ZOS account
    The second Xbox live account was my wife's and we had to create a new unique ZOS account...it worked too
    The third was my real life friend who came over to try it. He downloaded his xbl profile to my console, and had to create a new unique ZOS account but he also played.

Three unique adults with three diff xbl accounts, all three linked to either an existing ZOS account or new ZOS account but each xbl account had to be linked to a unique ZOS account. That's it but don't confuse any of that with the digital game as we had one beta key.
    This potentially could be a clarifying remark; NewBlacksmurf has stated that there was one beta key, one console, and three XBL/ZOS profile links, in which all three profiles could play (independently of each other) on one console.
    So how is this represented on https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/users/account ?
    For example, for me (I didn't get into the beta, but I do have the account copy), I have:
    THE ELDER SCROLLS® ONLINE: TAMRIEL UNLIMITED™ XBOX ONE EDITION
    Account Status
    Active
    (which presumably is tied directly to ESOTU for XBOX with account copy [+unique reference code] in the billing history).

@NewBlacksmurf, if you don't mind, how do yours and your wife's profiles display the comparative Console Beta and relevant associated codes? Are the codes different? Is Beta access displayed on both accounts?
    (Of course I'm not asking for the codes themselves, just whether they are different.)
    Edited by Enodoc on May 13, 2015 5:22PM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Zazaaji
    Zazaaji
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GaryA
    Thank you for responding with a clear answer, I sent you a PM, I hope you'll read it. :)
    -
    Edited by Zazaaji on May 13, 2015 7:44PM
    English is not my first language, Finnish is.
    Please don't heap on me for grammar problems.
  • nastuug
    nastuug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is how most PC games have been since STEAM/HL2 in 2004. Unique code required to register an account. As a console gamer, you aren't expecting this to follow suit with the same process as single-player game are you?

I remember playing games like CS and D2 with cd keys that multiple players used. Couldn't log in while that key was in use, etc. etc. That day has come and gone, my friend. If these types of games are going to console, expect more and more of this type of unique code/account registration requirement. :)
    Edited by nastuug on May 13, 2015 7:51PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being that one needs to purchase the game to play it (B2P) an authorization code would be required.
  • Powtreeman
    Powtreeman
    ✭✭✭
    Zazaaji wrote: »
    UrQuan wrote: »
    I strongly suspect that it needs the key, because that's how they determine that the specific account is authorized to play the game. Otherwise you could have a dozen people living in the same house all playing on their own accounts using the same physical copy of the game.
    You make a good point, but this is something that really needs ZoS confirmation, as I'm sure that without it people will buy it or worse, rent it from gamefly (https://www.gamefly.com/#!/game/The-Elder-Scrolls-Online-Tamriel-Unlimited/5007274) without knowing it'll be unplayable.

The link to gamefly you posted is to buy the game from them. Not rent it. Im sure they know they cant rent it out.
  • Zazaaji
    Zazaaji
    ✭✭✭✭
    Powtreeman wrote: »
    UrQuan wrote: »
    I strongly suspect that it needs the key, because that's how they determine that the specific account is authorized to play the game. Otherwise you could have a dozen people living in the same house all playing on their own accounts using the same physical copy of the game.
    You make a good point, but this is something that really needs ZoS confirmation, as I'm sure that without it people will buy it or worse, rent it from gamefly (https://www.gamefly.com/#!/game/The-Elder-Scrolls-Online-Tamriel-Unlimited/5007274) without knowing it'll be unplayable.

The link to gamefly you posted is to buy the game from them. Not rent it. Im sure they know they cant rent it out.
    See where it says "START FREE TRIAL" for you?
    That turns into "RENT COMING 6/9/2015" if you have an account and are signed in.

I'll make a point of that in the OP too.
    -
    Edited by Zazaaji on May 13, 2015 8:58PM
  • c.p.garrett1993_ESO
    Hey there folks,

@ZOS_GaryA
    So how will this work for rentals? How much will the keys be? Will you need to the disk to play if you purchased a key? With all due respect, it seems like a pretty bad idea to have this work differently than over 90% of console games and not have this clearly explained anywhere.
    I hope this is posted on the box and that the proper measures are being taken to protect people who buy/ rent from legitimate companies.
  • Zazaaji
    Zazaaji
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey there folks,

@ZOS_GaryA
    So how will this work for rentals? How much will the keys be? Will you need to the disk to play if you purchased a key? With all due respect, it seems like a pretty bad idea to have this work differently than over 90% of console games and not have this clearly explained anywhere.
    I hope this is posted on the box and that the proper measures are being taken to protect people who buy/ rent from legitimate companies.

I've already been contacting GaryA over PM's about spreading the word of this to Gamefly, Gamestop, and other rental/used sellers to not rent or sell this game used. I threw in the idea of maybe having IGN and other big name video game websites publish an article about this requirement, to mass spread the word in a very quick way. He told me that the moment the thread was made it was seen as a potential issue and forwarded to the right higher up people to hopefully fix it.

Either way, I hope something will be done so that this is wide spread/common knowledge before the game releases, else I really do think a lot of people will get messed out of their money for renting it or buying it preowned.
    -
    Edited by Zazaaji on May 13, 2015 9:06PM
  • c.p.garrett1993_ESO
    Hey there folks,

@ZOS_GaryA

I've already been contacting GaryA over PM's about spreading the word of this to Gamefly, Gamestop, and other rental/used sellers to not rent or sell this game used. I threw in the idea of maybe having IGN and other big name video game websites publish an article about this requirement, to mass spread the word in a very quick way. He told me that the moment the thread was made it was seen as a potential issue and forwarded to the right higher up people to hopefully fix it.

Either way, I hope something will be done so that this is wide spread/common knowledge before the game releases, else I really do think a lot of people will get messed out of their money for renting it or buying it preowned.
    -

Well, it's good they are looking into it.
    Please be sure to bring up those questions if you have not already done so.
    If the disc is intended as only a 50GB download substitute you should be able to download the rest of the game later and not need to the disc to play if you change your mind later.
  • nastuug
    nastuug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there folks,

@ZOS_GaryA

-

In the PC world, it's been common knowledge for over 10 years. I'm sorry to hear it wasn't know by the console community. The more that consoles become PC-like, they more of this you will see. In which case, places like Gamestop will eventually cease to exist.

FYI, Gamestop is well aware of how games like this work. There's no need to notify them...
    Edited by nastuug on May 13, 2015 9:30PM
  • c.p.garrett1993_ESO
    nastuug wrote: »
    Hey there folks,

@ZOS_GaryA

-

In the PC world, it's been common knowledge for over 10 years. I'm sorry to hear it wasn't know by the console community. The more that consoles become PC-like, they more of this you will see. In which case, places like Gamestop will eventually cease to exist.

FYI, Gamestop is well aware of how games like this work. There's no need to notify them...

In the PC world, yes.
    Console games that require a key are few and far between. Those few who have implemented this generally only have it for a portion of the game, such as the online multiplayer, and those generally are removed in the sequels due to the lack of popularity.
    Console gaming is, and always has been, very social in nature.
    "Hey have you played Halo 3 yet?"
    "No, I haven't, is it any good?"
    "Well, I already finished it so you can borrow it."
    "Thanks!"
    This model has proved very effective and helps boost sales, as the person borrowing the game will be more inclined to purchase something they have already tried.

The console players will likely be very upset over this, even if it is spread in enough time.
    I, personally, never understood why PC games kept this model. It makes sense for digital copies of the game but ultimately hurts the sales for physical copies.
  • nastuug
    nastuug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there folks,

@ZOS_GaryA

-

In the PC world, yes.
    Console games that require a key are few and far between. Those few who have implemented this generally only have it for a portion of the game, such as the online multiplayer, and those generally are removed in the sequels due to the lack of popularity.
    Console gaming is, and always has been, very social in nature.
    "Hey have you played Halo 3 yet?"
    "No, I haven't, is it any good?"
    "Well, I already finished it so you can borrow it."
    "Thanks!"
    This model has proved very effective and helps boost sales, as the person borrowing the game will be more inclined to purchase something they have already tried.

The console players will likely be very upset over this, even if it is spread in enough time.
    I, personally, never understood why PC games kept this model. It makes sense for digital copies of the game but ultimately hurts the sales for physical copies.

It will happen for sure. Most PC games run through Steam, Origin, Ubiderp, etc. Over time, consoles will be no different.

Revenue my dear boy, revenue. Gamestop is making a killing by reselling old/used games. Pay someone $3.00 for a game, sell it for $15.00, and pay publisher zero.
    Edited by nastuug on May 13, 2015 9:48PM
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there folks,

@ZOS_GaryA

I used to work for a UK video game retailer about 6 years ago and even then it was pretty much standard practice to make sure customers were aware of things like needing to pay a subscription for some games, or register it online, or needing to own the base game to use an expansion.

If anything we were more likely to point it out if it was unusual for that system. The main one at the time was Phantasy Star Universe of the 360, which was a predominantly online game and required a subscription on top of a Xbox Live Gold account to play. I'd end up explaining that to everyone who was buying it.

Technically it wasn't my problem, the information was clearly printed on the box and not actually anything to do with me or my employer. But once you've had someone screaming in your face because she was stupid enough to let her son use her card to 'buy a game' and he also used it to sign up for the subscription payments (which she interpreted as your company charging her repeatedly for the same purchase) you quickly decide it's better to make sure customers know what they're buying at the time.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • nastuug
    nastuug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    Hey there folks,

@ZOS_GaryA

I used to work for a UK video game retailer about 6 years ago and even then it was pretty much standard practice to make sure customers were aware of things like needing to pay a subscription for some games, or register it online, or needing to own the base game to use an expansion.

If anything we were more likely to point it out if it was unusual for that system. The main one at the time was Phantasy Star Universe of the 360, which was a predominantly online game and required a subscription on top of a Xbox Live Gold account to play. I'd end up explaining that to everyone who was buying it.

Technically it wasn't my problem, the information was clearly printed on the box and not actually anything to do with me or my employer. But once you've had someone screaming in your face because she was stupid enough to let her son use her card to 'buy a game' and he also used it to sign up for the subscription payments (which she interpreted as your company charging her repeatedly for the same purchase) you quickly decide it's better to make sure customers know what they're buying at the time.

Regardless, I do think it's still a large issue with the console gamers overall. Most of my friends still find it weird, just as the OP does, that a console game is requiring a unique serial key. Us PC gamers have come to accept it as common knowledge over the past decade, so I can understand why the average console gamer would find this as a bit of a shock. But this is how gaming companies will reduce piracy and ensure proper revenue for the amount of players actually purchasing/playing the game.
    Edited by nastuug on May 13, 2015 10:00PM
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    But this is how gaming companies will reduce piracy
    In what world did that actually work? :p
  • PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Notice how a certain someone has not posted since they were proven wrong by a MODERATOR, despite them saying again and again that they were right, that they worked for microsofts Xbox live system, and knew everything about it and even said that is how it worked for them.....
  • Zazaaji
    Zazaaji
    ✭✭✭✭
    Regardless, I do think it's still a large issue with the console gamers overall. Most of my friends still find it weird, just as the OP does, that a console game is requiring a unique serial key. Us PC gamers have come to accept it as common knowledge over the past decade, so I can understand why the average console gamer would find this as a bit of a shock. But this is how gaming companies will reduce piracy and ensure proper revenue for the amount of players actually purchasing/playing the game.

It is indeed very strange in general for a console disk game to require a CD Key today. As a matter of fact, I don't know of any Xbox One disk-version games that require a CD Key to play, aside from ESO now, and Destiny.
    -
    Edited by Zazaaji on May 13, 2015 10:48PM
  • PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PKMN12 wrote: »

It is indeed very strange. As a matter of fact, I don't know of any Xbox One disk-version games that require a CD Key to play, aside from ESO now.
    -

It is the type of game it is, it is an MMO, not a normal console game. Not only that, it is an MMO that yo have to buy, unlike Neverwinter.

FF14 has a similar situation over on the PS4.
  • Zazaaji
    Zazaaji
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quote that breaks when I try to reply normally
    @PKMN12
    Why did you quote me?
    I never ONCE claimed to be in with Microsoft, or any of that stuff. That was all @NewBlacksmurf , whom I think you confused me with.
    -
    Edited by Zazaaji on May 13, 2015 10:41PM
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you own the disc but don't have a key, you'll be able to install the game and reach the login screen, but you won't be able to log in and access the game without an active ESOTU account.

Suppose I have an ESOTU account from playing on PC and purchase a used copy of ESOTU for console. If I enter my PC account information at the login screen, will I be able to play on console with the used copy?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Ffastyl - Level 50 Templar
    Arturus Amitis - Level 50 Nightblade
    Sulac the Wanderer - Level 50 Dragonknight
    Arcturus Leland - Level 50 Sorcerer
    Azrog rus-Oliphet - Level 50 Templar
    Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Ashen Willow Knight - Level 50 Templar
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:
    Old vs New Intro Cinematics

"My strength is that I have no weaknesses. My weakness is that I have no strengths."
    Member since May 4th, 2014.
  • Zazaaji
    Zazaaji
    ✭✭✭✭
    Something is really glitched with quoting for me....

@Ffastyl If a ESO account already has a PC CD Key attached, they will need a console CD Key attached as well to play on console, still making used/rentals useless. That is at least what I'm guessing, as GaryA called this a "potential issue", which I doubt he would if you can do what you said.
    -
    Edited by Zazaaji on May 13, 2015 10:39PM
  • PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quote that breaks when I try to reply normally
    @PKMN12
    Why did you quote me?
    I never ONCE claimed to be in with Microsoft, or any of that stuff. That was all @NewBlacksmurf , whom I think you confused me with.
    -

i quoted you for a completeley different reason, sorry. I was quoting you to point out that it is not strange for this kind of thing at all.