Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ZOS - Will console disk version require a cdkey, or is used/renting a viable option?

Zazaaji
Zazaaji
✭✭✭✭
As the title states. No information of this can be found anywhere on these forums that I can see, and searching on Google for an answer just gives a bunch of beta key trash sites/forums.

I'm asking due to a few difference between the console/PC version that makes me very hesitant to buy it, as I think they might ruin my enjoyment. I will not go into detail as to what differences, as this thread is not for that. That said, having the option to buy preowned or even renting it from gamefly or the like would be a great option for people in my situation. Then if it ends up the differences do not impact my ability to enjoy the game, I can return the used version to the store and buy it new to support ZoS.
-
I see these devs around a lot, and since this is a pretty important question, I'm hoping one of you can answer:
@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_AlanG @ZOS_JasonLeavey @ZOS_GaryA
-
EDIT:
The physical console version of The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited does not require a one-time game code. As with any other boxed PS4 / Xbox One game only the game disc is needed for verification.
English is not my first language, Finnish is.
Please don't heap on me for grammar problems.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I strongly suspect that it needs the key, because that's how they determine that the specific account is authorized to play the game. Otherwise you could have a dozen people living in the same house all playing on their own accounts using the same physical copy of the game.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Zazaaji
    Zazaaji
    ✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    I strongly suspect that it needs the key, because that's how they determine that the specific account is authorized to play the game. Otherwise you could have a dozen people living in the same house all playing on their own accounts using the same physical copy of the game.
    You make a good point, but this is something that really needs ZoS confirmation, as I'm sure that without it people will buy it or worse, rent it from gamefly (https://www.gamefly.com/#!/game/The-Elder-Scrolls-Online-Tamriel-Unlimited/5007274) without knowing it'll be unplayable.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zazaaji wrote: »
    You make a good point, but this is something that really needs ZoS confirmation, as I'm sure that without it people will buy it or worse, rent it from gamefly (https://www.gamefly.com/#!/game/The-Elder-Scrolls-Online-Tamriel-Unlimited/5007274) without knowing it'll be unplayable.
    Hmm, yeah that would be a serious problem, if people are renting it and can't play it because they need the key...
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Zazaaji
    Zazaaji
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, yeah that would be a serious problem, if people are renting it and can't play it because they need the key...
    Used also. I'm sure Gamestop and other big game companies would try to sell it used for $49.99 and completely unplayable since the key was already used if ZoS doesn't confirm this.
    -
    Edited by Zazaaji on May 12, 2015 9:46PM
  • c.p.garrett1993_ESO
    Even a rental/ used copy saves you a 50GB download.
    If it's sold for $5 - $10 convenience than it doesn't matter.
    Otherwise, they definitely need to confirm this.

Although, following most games, I doubt it will.
    If they haven't said otherwise and places are doing rentals it probably means that it can be used for multiple users. A sad part of PC gaming is, and always has been, user locked games.
    Console has never really followed this, except a select few titles.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Console disk games don't use CD keys, digital games don't use cd keys.

Console works like this:
    1 buy it digitally and play on your console (Xbox one allows you to share access to others who use that console)
    2 put in disc and play (both consoles allow anyone to use the disc while its in once installed.

There is nothing else to it.
    Linking your gamertag to a ZOS account has nothing to do with disk or digital games
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Console works like this:
    1 buy it digitally and play on your console (Xbox one allows you to share access to others who use that console)
    2 put in disc and play (both consoles allow anyone to use the disc while its in once installed.

Linking your gamertag to a ZOS account has nothing to do with disk or digital games
    But wouldn't you have to enter a key into your account info on the ZOS website to show that you've bought the game? Or would you just link your Xbox Live or Sony Network account ID on the website, and then if you're logged in with one of those and running the game on the console that's how it knows it's authorized and you've paid for the game?
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Kalifas
    Kalifas
    ✭✭✭

Console works like this:

Hope it is not like FFXI last gen. You were forced to have the disc in the xbox 360 in order to be able to play.
    An Avid fan of Elder Scrolls Online. Check out my Concepts Repository!
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Console works like this:

But wouldn't you have to enter a key into your account info on the ZOS website to show that you've bought the game? Or would you just link your Xbox Live or Sony Network account ID on the website, and then if you're logged in with one of those and running the game on the console that's how it knows it's authorized and you've paid for the game?

No The linking is my assumption of how to gain forum access. There is literally no point of trying to add in a CD key. the ZOS account can try to limit ZOS access but the game and it's servers just work.

If ZOS has added in an additional layer of DRM, the game is dead on arrival and will drastically fail if ppl can't trade disks, or share discs and digital access as other games allow on ps4 and Xbox one

Let's go back to Xbox One reveal....they presented this and it was a FAIL!
    Console are buy one copy n share with friends n family (digital or disc)

That's what creates value when compared to PC buying of games
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on May 13, 2015 12:58AM
  • PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it will likely be linked to your account, just like all the MMOs have worked on console.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way it works is the PS4 or Xbox One check for ownership either on the disc or in the cloud per console for a digital game. There are differences regarding digital game sharing between Xbox one and ps4 but on Xbox One.

Xbox One:
    Digital - I buy the game from Xbox store.
    -I set my console to my home console
    -I and anyone else can play the same digital game on my console as long as they have their on Xbox live profile
    -I share digital purchases and Xbox live gold to anyone on my home console only (one console per account)
    -I start up TESO (based on the console beta)
    -I'm prompted to enter my ZOS account or create a new one
    -I play

Another account wants to play
    -The start up TESo on Xbox one
    -they are prompted to log into their own ZOS account or create a new one
    -they play under their Xbox profile and ZOS account

Person number three wants to play
    -see example above

I can't comment on Ps4 but the disc works the same as above on Xbox one as digital but only Xbox live gold needs to be shared since the DRM is on the disk

It's that simple
    $60 for everyone in the house rather than like PC, $60 per person
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on May 13, 2015 1:15AM
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Console works like this:

No The linking is my assumption of how to gain forum access. There is literally no point of trying to add in a CD key. the ZOS account can try to limit ZOS access but the game and it's servers just work.

If ZOS has added in an additional layer of DRM, the game is dead on arrival and will drastically fail if ppl can't trade disks, or share discs and digital access as other games allow on ps4 and Xbox one

But there has to be a way to link it to your account. Otherwise how will ZOS keep track of your crown purchases, subscription, etc? The only possibilities are through using a key to activate the version of the game for console, or by linking the Xbox Live or Sony Network account to the account with ZOS. Now if it's the latter, then I'd agree that you wouldn't need to have a key to do it.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way it works is the PS4 or Xbox One check for ownership either on the disc or in the cloud per console for a digital game. There are differences regarding digital game sharing between Xbox one and ps4 but on Xbox One.

Xbox One:
    -I and anyone else can play the same digital game on my console as long as they have their on Xbox live profile
    -I share digital purchases and Xbox live gold to anyone on my home console only (one console per account)
    -I play

-see example above

I can't comment on Ps4 but the disc works the same as above on Xbox one as digital but only Xbox live gold needs to be shared since the DRM is on the disk

It's that simple

but EACH of those players has to have BOUGHT an account. so no, your completely wrong.

When you buy a game like this, you are not buying a game, you are buying the ability to create an account and allow that account access to the game.

I am sorry to hear that you still believe this dribble.
    Edited by PKMN12 on May 13, 2015 1:26AM
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Console works like this:

But there has to be a way to link it to your account. Otherwise how will ZOS keep track of your crown purchases, subscription, etc? The only possibilities are through using a key to activate the version of the game for console, or by linking the Xbox Live or Sony Network account to the account with ZOS. Now if it's the latter, then I'd agree that you wouldn't need to have a key to do it.

ZOS doesn't keep track of any of it. Xbox and Sony are

Console cannot buy anything whatsoever from ZOS. The ingame purchases are Xbox or ps4 purchases based on the gamertag settings with Xbox/ps4
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PKMN12 wrote: »

Xbox One:
    -I play

-see example above

It's that simple

but EACH of those players has to have BOUGHT an account. so no, your completely wrong.

When you buy a game like this, you are not buying a game, you are buying the ability to create an account and allow that account access to the game.

I am sorry to hear that you still believe this dribble.

My friend this isn't theory. This is EXACTLY how 100% of all games work on Xbox one.
    It's also EXACTLY how it worked in beta.

I had one key and me and my wife both had two separate TeSO accounts using our own two seperate Xbox live profiles.
    She uses my shared games and shared Xbox live gold

PS: I do support for Xbox service chat for Xbox one and Xbox 360. I'm 100% certain

Edited by NewBlacksmurf on May 13, 2015 1:32AM
  • PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Console works like this:

Console cannot buy anything whatsoever from ZOS. The ingame purchases are Xbox or ps4 purchases based on the gamertag settings with Xbox/ps4

then you do not understand how console games work, at all.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PKMN12 wrote: »

Console works like this:

then you do not understand how console games work, at all.

I'm not going back and forth with you anymore.
    I did want to post value for people who may have those same questions on Xbox One.
    Anyone who needs a reference go here for detailed info:
    http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/games/my-home-xbox

The first time you sign in on an Xbox One and save your password, that console becomes your home Xbox. Your home Xbox allows you to do the following:

Share games and downloadable content purchased from the digital store with anyone else who signs in on your console. You can even share games downloaded as part of a subscription.
    Share your Xbox Gold subscription with anyone else who signs in on your console
    You can also play downloaded games while traveling, or, in the event of a network or service outage, on your home Xbox. You’ll need to ensure that your console is set as your home Xbox before you go offline. See What you can do when your Xbox One console is offline to learn more.

If you have more than one Xbox One console, or if you sign in on multiple consoles, we recommend you designate the most frequently used console as your home Xbox.

In reference to console Crown store:
    https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26464/kw/Console crown

HOW WILL PLAYSTATION 4 AND XBOX ONE USERS ACCESS THE ESO STORE WHEN THEY WANT TO BUY CROWNS?
    Updated 05/05/2015 11:49 AM Published 01/21/2015 08:07 AM
    Players who wish to purchase Crowns to use in the in-game Crown Store will be able to do so via their home consoles using the Xbox Live Marketplace or PlayStation Store. Crown purchases at The Elder Scrolls Online PC/Mac Store will only work with the PC/Mac version of the game.

In reference to console account linking:
    Per their support page...each unique Xbox account (gamertag remix must have its own unique ZOS account)

CAN SEVERAL PLAYSTATION NETWORK OR XBOX LIVE ACCOUNTS SHARE ACCESS TO ONE ESOTU ACCOUNT?
    Updated 04/17/2015 04:18 AM Published 04/16/2015 03:19 PM
    Accounts for The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited on console are each tied to a unique PlayStation Network or Xbox Live account. Attempts to link a different PlayStation Network or Xbox Live account to an ESOTU console account will result in an error.

Account sharing is also a violation of our Terms of Service and can result in a permanent account ban. Players can view our Terms of Service here: https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/terms-of-service.

Edited by NewBlacksmurf on May 13, 2015 1:49AM
  • ChuChuMouse
    Although there has be no confirmation about the game requiring a cdkey, the game will probably not require it.

All disc based Xbox One games (can't speak for PS4) require the game to be in the console to launch. Games bought digitally can be freely accessed and are tied the account that made the purchased. As stated earlier, anyone on the account owners home/primary console can access the game.

Final Fantasy XI/XIV on consoles is a different story, as they are subscription based games. ESO will basically work like Neverwinter or Defiance on the Xbox 360. The money will be made though the Crown Store, even if someone rented, borrowed, or bought ESO used.
  • Zazaaji
    Zazaaji
    ✭✭✭✭
    As stated earlier, anyone on the account owners home/primary console can access the game.
    That is incorrect.
    https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28399/kw
    Accounts for The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited on console are each tied to a unique PlayStation Network or Xbox Live account. Attempts to link a different PlayStation Network or Xbox Live account to an ESOTU console account will result in an error.

Account sharing is also a violation of our Terms of Service and can result in a permanent account ban.
    Edited by Zazaaji on May 13, 2015 2:14AM
  • Egonieser
    Egonieser
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CAN SEVERAL PLAYSTATION NETWORK OR XBOX LIVE ACCOUNTS SHARE ACCESS TO ONE ESOTU ACCOUNT?

Account sharing is also a violation of our Terms of Service and can result in a permanent account ban. Players can view our Terms of Service here: https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/terms-of-service.

Well, there you go, you just proved yourself wrong in all your previous statements in this topic.

1 ESO account (1 copy) PER XBox/Playstation account - no sharing, no multiple accounts per console from a single copy.
    A MMO Disc is as good as the key it holds, nothing more. Link the account with the key and throw it away. The key is permanently applied to YOUR (Not your wife's, not your friend's - YOURS only!) account and is invalid from that point on. The account is activated and the game can be redownloaded at any time afterwards, but only YOUR PSN/XBLive account can connect to it.
    Edited by Egonieser on May 13, 2015 2:19AM
    Sometimes, I dream about...cheese...

Dermont - v16 Pompous Altmer Sorcerer (With a very arrogant face!)
    Egonieser - v16 Nord Stamina Dragonborn Wannabe
    Endoly - v16 Tiny Redguard Sharpened MaceBlade
    Egosalina - v16 Breton Cheesus Beam Specialist
    Egowen - v16 Dunmer Whipping Expert (Riding crops eluded her)
    (Yes, I had to grind all these to v16)
    Akamanakh - lvl 22 Khajiit GankBlade (Inspired by Top Cat)
    Targos Icewind - lvl 34 Imperial (Future) Jabplar
    (CP 830+)

PC - EU
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As stated earlier, anyone on the account owners home/primary console can access the game.

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28399/kw

Account sharing is also a violation of our Terms of Service and can result in a permanent account ban.

The gamertag and the ESO account are tied
    NOT the digital game or disk
  • Zazaaji
    Zazaaji
    ✭✭✭✭
    Egonieser wrote: »

Well, there you go, you just proved yourself wrong in all your previous statements in this topic.

1 ESO account (1 copy) PER XBox/Playstation account - no sharing, no multiple accounts per console from a single copy.
    A MMO Disc is as good as the key it holds, nothing more. Link the account with the key and throw it away. The account is activated and can be redownloaded at any time afterwards.

It actually seems like there might not be a key, but each console (PS4 or XB1) will be limited to only one account link for ESOTU. Meaning whatever account is signed into the XB1/PS4 at the time of activation on ESOTU will be the only account that can play it. That would not require CD Keys, prevent numerous accounts from playing on one console, and enable preowned/rentals.
  • Egonieser
    Egonieser
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It actually seems like there might not be a key, but each console (PS4 or XB1) will be limited to only one account link for ESOTU. Meaning whatever account is signed into the XB1/PS4 at the time of activation on ESOTU will be the only account that can play it. That would not require CD Keys, prevent numerous accounts from playing on one console, and enable preowned/rentals.

Doesn't matter if it's a key or some other form of identification/authentication method. One game copy will result in only one account owning/playing the game. If your wife and your friend wants to play - they are out of luck as they need to purchase it for their own PSN/XBLive account as home sharing or other bollocks will not work :P MMO's do not work the same way other generic games do. (Saying this to Smurf)

Oh and @NewBlacksmurf regarding to PC being fully DRM Only and no sharing - you are wrong. Steam operates same way xbox sharing does. You share your library with a friend or family member and they can play all games you own (on their own steam account obviously, but they do not need to purchase them). BUT any MMO's (B2P) will still require you to buy a seperate key/copy to play, as you may launch the game from your friends library, but you cannot use his in-game account, you need your own - same applies here.
    PSN/XBoxLive is just a middle-man, the account is still hosted and owned by ZoS - you just use your console accounts for authentication and identification as opposed to logging on with your credentials every single time like on PC.
    Edited by Egonieser on May 13, 2015 2:35AM
    Sometimes, I dream about...cheese...

Dermont - v16 Pompous Altmer Sorcerer (With a very arrogant face!)
    Egonieser - v16 Nord Stamina Dragonborn Wannabe
    Endoly - v16 Tiny Redguard Sharpened MaceBlade
    Egosalina - v16 Breton Cheesus Beam Specialist
    Egowen - v16 Dunmer Whipping Expert (Riding crops eluded her)
    (Yes, I had to grind all these to v16)
    Akamanakh - lvl 22 Khajiit GankBlade (Inspired by Top Cat)
    Targos Icewind - lvl 34 Imperial (Future) Jabplar
    (CP 830+)

PC - EU
  • ChuChuMouse
    That probably refers to your characters and Crown Store purchases being tied to a single XBL/PSN account.

• NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't matter if it's a key or some other form of identification/authentication method. One game copy will result in only one account owning/playing the game. If your wife and your friend wants to play - they are out of luck as they need to purchase it for their own PSN/XBLive account as home sharing or other bollocks will not work :P MMO's do not work the same way other generic games do. (Saying this to Smurf)

Oh and @NewBlacksmurf regarding to PC being fully DRM Only and no sharing - you are wrong. Steam operates same way xbox sharing does. You share your library with a friend or family member and they can play all games you own (on their own steam account obviously, but they do not need to purchase them). BUT any MMO's (B2P) will still require you to buy a seperate key/copy to play, as you may launch the game from your friends library, but you cannot use his in-game account, you need your own - same applies here.

Ok again...this is not how it works on Xbox One

PS4 may be restricted in some ways that Xbox one are not.

I don't want ppl to leave this thread confused.

The game sharing sill applies just like any other games.

Don't confuse linking you gamertag and ZOS account to anything around the game disc or digital itself.
    Those are two different things

EDIT: Why are you all arguing with official info from the Xbox website? I already did it in BETA on Xbox one. No clue why this is being argued after it was already confirmed

ANd
    STEAM is not by definition the same context as PC. STEAM differs from a standard PC/MAC account too
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on May 13, 2015 2:38AM
  • KrisButtar
    KrisButtar
    ✭✭✭

Don't confuse linking you gamertag and ZOS account to anything around the game disc or digital itself.

EDIT: Why are you all arguing with official info from the Xbox website? I already did it in BETA on Xbox one. No clue why this is being argued after it was already confirmed

ANd
    STEAM is not by definition the same context as PC. STEAM differs from a standard PC/MAC account too

I'm confused are you saying, in the beta you signed in with each account on your XB1 and they all could play ESO? did they have to create an account or did the game just load up your game character?

edit: spelling
    Edited by KrisButtar on May 13, 2015 2:58AM
  • ChuChuMouse
    XBL/PSN account "A" will be linked to ZOS account "A"
    If you try and link a different account, XBL/PSN account "B", to ZOS account "A", you will get an error.
    So XBL/PSN account "B" would have to link to ZOS account"B"

All characters and Crown Store/ESO Plus purchases will be tied to individual accounts.
    So you buy a costume or mount in Account "A", all Account "A" characters have access to those purchases, but account "B" won't. Even if played on the same copy of the game or the same console.
    Edited by ChuChuMouse on May 13, 2015 3:19AM
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KrisButtar wrote: »

ANd

I'm confused are you saying, in the beta you signed in with each account on your XB1 and they all could play ESO? did they have to create an account or did the game just load up your game character?

edit: spelling

Yes, I signed into three different Xbox live accounts during beta.
    My account I used my ZOS account
    The second Xbox live account was my wife's and we had to create a new unique ZOS account...it worked too
    The third was my real life friend who came over to try it. He downloaded his xbl profile to my console, and had to create a new unique ZOS account but he also played.

Three unique adults with three diff xbl accounts, all three linked to either an existing ZOS account or new ZOS account but each xbl account had to be linked to a unique ZOS account. That's it but don't confuse any of that with the digital game as we had one beta key.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This thread hurts my head.

Okay which of these is correct?

Person A buys ESO disk, ZOS Account A is created and tied to XBL/PSN account A:

_Person B gets on Person A's console, but signs into XBL/PSN account B, can not access ESO on that console.

_Person B gets on Person A's console, but signs into XBL/PSN account B, can play on that console so long as a second purchased game is linked to ZOS Account B.

_Person B gets on Person A's console, but signs into XBL/PSN account B, creates ZOS account B, but can only play on Console A.

_Person B gets on Person A's console, but signs into XBL/PSN account B, creates ZOS account B, but can play ESO now on Console A and home Console B, no second purchase needed.

_Person A gives disk to Person B, Person B logs into Console B on XBL/PSN account B, must buy game to create ZOS Account B.

_Person A gives disk to Person B, Person B logs into Console B on XBL/PSN account B, creates ZOS Account B and plays. No second purchase.
    Edited by driosketch on May 13, 2015 3:56AM
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • ChuChuMouse
    Any account can play on any console, on any version of the game (physical or digital) you have access to.

Each console has their own restrictions. Like you can't have the same account logged into two different console at the same time. If you have the physical copy of the game, you can install it in as many console as you like, but you WILL NEED the game disc in the console to play it.