The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Lore question: What is a Daedrat?

• Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can confirm that this is indeed the intended name and not a typo. :) As @Aetherderius mentioned, you'll meet Daedrats in the Imperial City.

Hmmm the plot thickens.
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    They're made from small game, so I'm gonna guess it's a daedric rat. Why anyone would want to eat one is beyond me.

So just what exactly drops this? I've killed all kinds of small things and the only thing I've come across is "Game"...
    NA Server - Kildair
  • Anvos
    Anvos
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure why there are people over reacting saying deadrats can't exist since they weren't in other games, Oblivion is a ridiculously vast plane of existence and we haven't been to all of the deadric planes or even all of a single plane. We haven't seen the tree or ant deadra before or since the Shivering Isles and that doesn't make them any less real deadra.
    Edited by Anvos on March 11, 2015 4:51PM
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Robbmrp wrote: »
    They're made from small game, so I'm gonna guess it's a daedric rat. Why anyone would want to eat one is beyond me.

So just what exactly drops this? I've killed all kinds of small things and the only thing I've come across is "Game"...
    I've found rabbits and snakes so far.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the lore monks voted us out of canon a long while ago. We're in the illustrious company of Redguard and Battlespire and considered extended universe at best. =/ we've got the loriest lore master of all lores, however, so who cares but the monks?!

Have a daedrat-on-a-stick instead!

Wait, I could have sworn I saw stuff in the numbered games talking about the destruction of the Battlespire. I know Stros M'Kai has gotten stray nods in lore books outside of Redguard. (Not counting it's reappearance in ESO.)

So... yeah, this seems really weird to me.
  • Brasseurfb16_ESO
    Brasseurfb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have never seen a daedric rat in any of the ES games I have played and I hope I never do while it is still living.

Aren't the scamps considered as the rats from the Daedric planes?
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never seen a daedric rat in any of the ES games I have played and I hope I never do while it is still living.

Yeah, but Scamp Souffle was too horrifying to consider.
  • Bfish22090
    Bfish22090
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, but Scamp Souffle was too horrifying to consider.

When will the imperial city in update 7 be coming?
    Edited by Bfish22090 on March 11, 2015 5:12PM
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the lore monks voted us out of canon a long while ago.

Nope... there used to be a lot of caution among the lore freaks regarding ESO in early 2014, prior to beta, but as of now ESO lore is generally accepted as canon (due to its quality).

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on March 11, 2015 5:28PM
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the lore monks voted us out of canon a long while ago.

Nope... there used to be a lot of caution among the lore freaks regarding ESO in early 2014, prior to beta, but as of now ESO lore is generally accepted as canon (due to its quality).
    By the smart lore folks. There are still lots of people out there who hasten to call ESO a lore abomination whenever the topic comes up.
    I think the lore monks voted us out of canon a long while ago. We're in the illustrious company of Redguard and Battlespire and considered extended universe at best. =/ we've got the loriest lore master of all lores, however, so who cares but the monks?!

Have a daedrat-on-a-stick instead!

Wait, I could have sworn I saw stuff in the numbered games talking about the destruction of the Battlespire. I know Stros M'Kai has gotten stray nods in lore books outside of Redguard. (Not counting it's reappearance in ESO.)

So... yeah, this seems really weird to me.
    They're all canon, 100%. Some people just swear by the main series. Actually, Redguard and Battlespire have more credibility because they were made by Bethesda. I think ESO falls together with the books and the mobile games.
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buttercup: Westley, what about the D.R.O.U.S.'s?

Qf7RkUf.jpg
    Edited by Phinix1 on March 11, 2015 5:54PM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Qf7RkUf.jpg

Pfff, that's just a Skeever.
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Qf7RkUf.jpg

Pfff, that's just a Skeever.

Right. It's the skeever saying it. He needed the false sense of security of his place in the rodent pecking order. :p
  • ZOS_Lawrence_Schick
    Phrastus of Elinhir says, "Daedrats are vermin from Oblivion that sometimes sneak into Nirn through Oblivion Gates or portals. Dremora think they're kind of cute, so if they catch them they kill them swiftly instead of torturing them, like they do with loose banekin."
    Staff Post
  • Pendrillion
    Pendrillion
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thats how you make things canon... BAM.
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    worship.gif
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maaaaster!

Please make Fishmas an official holiday so this one can get a day off 'work' - the guards at Wayrest Castle would thank you!

Santie Claws

Also thank you for the clarification on the Dayratties. Now could you tell this one the best way of cooking them?
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did the Loremaster just post on the forums? How fun!
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keron wrote: »
    A pun on "daedra" and "dead rat", perhaps? IDK

I wouldn't want either one as a snack, though.
    I have a feeling this is dead-on. Like, this is a rat kebab, but it tastes as bad as a piece of daedric buttock.

Soooo not what I want to have, mate...

Why not? For me it depends on the level and the kind of attribute boost it gives. My characters would eat Molag's Soul Fried Dough Balls if they offered an extra 10,000 Max Health and 8,000 Max Magicka and Stamina. And not just on the the 20th of Evening Star.
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Keron
    Keron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not? For me it depends on the level and the kind of attribute boost it gives. My characters would eat Molag's Soul Fried Dough Balls if they offered an extra 10,000 Max Health and 8,000 Max Magicka and Stamina. And not just on the the 20th of Evening Star.
    Eeewww... That sounds like "I suck male anatomical features for white crystalline powder"
    >:)
    Edited by Keron on March 12, 2015 11:45AM
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welp, new creatures. How interesting. I suppose we didn't know about Xivilai before ESIV: Oblivion either !
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    LMar wrote: »
    Welp, new creatures. How interesting. I suppose we didn't know about Xivilai before ESIV: Oblivion either !
    And why stop at daedrats?

Just wait until we see daedrabbits ("Oh, you wascally daedwab... ow! ow!! OW!!"), daedracoons, and daedrattlesnakes!

Coming soon to a store near you, The Elder Scrolls Online: Terminators Unlimited!

:tongue:
    Edited by KhajitFurTrader on March 12, 2015 12:27PM
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eeewww... That sounds like "I suck male anatomical features for white crystalline powder"
    >:)

You have something against tasty festive treats?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9t5AJNF0so

• LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LMar wrote: »
    And why stop at daedrats?

Just wait until we see daedrabbits ("Oh, you wascally daedwab... ow! ow!! OW!!"), daedracoons, and daedrattlesnakes!

Coming soon to a store near you, The Elder Scrolls Online: Terminators Unlimited!

:tongue:

Let's keep it contained shall we? :P

Tbh They could have chosen a different name I believe but it's a whole other discussion which I don't have the energy for! :)
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • Keron
    Keron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @tinythinker
    Dammit, you made me snort coffee out of my nose... Schweddy balls...
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @tinythinker
    Dammit, you made me snort coffee out of my nose... Schweddy balls...

This is why I only drink while posting... wait, that sounded weird.
  • LadyNerevar
    LadyNerevar
    ✭✭✭
    They're all canon, 100%. Some people just swear by the main series. Actually, Redguard and Battlespire have more credibility because they were made by Bethesda. I think ESO falls together with the books and the mobile games.

All of it is all canon. The books built the backbone of Skyrim's lore. They're also one of two things officially called "canon" by Bethesda.

The other is ESO.
    Librarian at the Imperial Library
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kragorn wrote: »
    We can confirm that this is indeed the intended name and not a typo. :) As @Aetherderius mentioned, you'll meet Daedrats in the Imperial City.
    So this is ESO lore not true TES Lore, as the term daedrat appears nowhere on TES lore sites or other sources of lore information that I can find.

that would be correct Kragorn. and i dare say we might see alot more of this type of shenanigans in the future as well ...
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phrastus of Elinhir says, "Daedrats are vermin from Oblivion that sometimes sneak into Nirn through Oblivion Gates or portals. Dremora think they're kind of cute, so if they catch them they kill them swiftly instead of torturing them, like they do with loose banekin."

woe, wait a moment, this is indeed lore?
    i admire and deeply love you for your many various talants and insights, so, i will take your word for it that this is indeed lore and TES based.
    i am trusting you ...
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

All of it is all canon. The books built the backbone of Skyrim's lore. They're also one of two things officially called "canon" by Bethesda.

The other is ESO.
    I know that. What I was trying to say is that for people who think only Bethesda creates "true" lore and everyone else is writing official fanfiction, Redguard lore is more acceptable than ESO or the books (even though they're extensively referenced in Skyrim, as you noted). Personally I think this perspective is silly and robs the lore of many great new findings. As a Bosmer fan, I was delighted to learn all I could about them from ESO.

Heck, even that "transcription error" everyone was so miffed about months ago turned out to be only a part of an ongoing discussion between two scholars. Tracking down their different books was a fun challenge in itself. :)
    Edited by Rosveen on March 12, 2015 11:02PM