The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.4 is available.

ESO Hides My Cleavage??

ElfFromSpace
ElfFromSpace
✭✭✭✭
What happened, did someone decide that ESO can't have any armor that looks even remotely good? This was truly a horrible shock to me logging into the PTS and seeing this change:
ESO-Dress_zpsrdwwj925.jpg

PLEASE DON'T TAKE AWAY MY DRESS!!!! And, no, I'm not wearing a wedding dress. I love this dress, I get compliments on it nearly daily. Please don't vandalize one of the few cool low level options.

EDIT: Adding a few comments from further down.
Please make new motifs to add the new versions. We want more choices, not fewer choices.
Players who invested and created armor with the current style did so because they like the current style and we feel this change is robbing us of that.
You can improve the textures without destroying the gear. The redguard light and medium more than anything were far more interesting, less generic, boring and ugly before this change.
Women and men both (I am a woman in case anyone assumes that only men like seeing some female flesh) enjoy having fantasy characters with interesting and diverse costumes. Many of us feel that in a fantasy game, we shouldn't be constrained by what's "practical" armor. I'm not asking for pasties or a chain mail bikini, but let's keep the diversity in options!

ZENIMAX! NOBODY LIKES THE CHANGES TO THE REDGUARD LIGHT AND MEDIUM ARMOR! AND I MEAN NOBODY! PLEASE LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE WHO PAY YOUR SALARY!
Edited by ElfFromSpace on February 19, 2015 8:31PM
Former GM Elder Scrolls Exchange
  • Grao
    Grao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What happened, did someone decide that ESO can't have any armor that looks even remotely good? This was truly a horrible shock to me logging into the PTS and seeing this change:

PLEASE DON'T TAKE AWAY MY DRESS!!!! And, no, I'm not wearing a wedding dress. I love this dress, I get compliments on it nearly daily. Please don't vandalize one of the few cool low level options.

Cover those boobs woman! Is that proper way of dressing? Tsk!

Just kidding. Seriously, the textures of the new model maybe smoother, but the model it self lost all sex appeal. Even teens deserve more then that >.>
    Edited by Grao on February 13, 2015 8:55PM
    Options
  • prototypefb
    prototypefb
    ✭✭✭✭

sexy outfits showing more skin will be available on crown store, confirmed by Jason Leavey, he was handpicking outfits for victoria secret models to demonstrate for scans to be implemented in game soon.
    Options
  • Brother_Numsie
    Brother_Numsie
    ✭✭✭
    So is all the new armor reskins covering everything up, cause damn, what's the point in choosing the body art options in character creation then?
    Options
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree that new dress is worse coz in hiding chest tattoos. Why chest tattoos than if it won't be visible...
    Options
  • phreatophile
    phreatophile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with you. If it ain't broke don't fix it. They did one better and destroyed something beautiful. Are you guys coming to cover up my bosmer, too?
    Options
  • ElfFromSpace
    ElfFromSpace
    ✭✭✭✭
    Smoother is not necessarily better. I find some of the clothing that appears to be stained a bit less than appealing, but the cloth texture is there for better realism.

As for crown store outfits, I'm not saying I'm not willing to drop some $ to customize, but they shouldn't be destroying the options people currently have for free just to make us buy the things from the store ;(
    Options
  • Alphashado
    Alphashado
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This chick sent Paul Sage an email:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTGh0EMmMC8
    Edited by Alphashado on February 13, 2015 9:46PM
    Options
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Did you honestly think showing that much skin on the shoulders was appropriate? No, they had to add sleeves, and that meant redesigning the shirt so it wouldn't look stupid. /s

Edit, added the /s because not sure people will get the joke.
    Edited by driosketch on February 13, 2015 9:51PM
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
    Options
  • Alphashado
    Alphashado
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »
    Did you honestly think showing that much skin on the shoulders was appropriate? No, they had to add sleeves, and that meant redesigning the shirt so it wouldn't look stupid.

This game has a Mature rating. I've never understood why people get upset about looking sexy in a fantasy game with a mature rating.

Ever been to a Renaissance Festival? I can assure you that there is nobody standing at the gate saying "Sorry ma'am, can't let you in unless you cover that cleavage".

Edited by Alphashado on February 14, 2015 10:04AM
    Options
  • ElfFromSpace
    ElfFromSpace
    ✭✭✭✭
    Appropriate? Who whose standards?? This is a redguard outfit from a climate that is hot. I hardly think one would actually wear something that bulky and restrictive as the new outfit shown. Even when people in desert areas add loose fitting clothes to protect their skin from the sun, it's not like that crazy clunky shoulder/neck piece.

If anyone didn't like the design they could simply chose another racial style for their clothes, but I haven't seen ANYONE who actually likes the new design. The lower half is actually ok, but the upper half.. Makes me feel uncomfortable just thinking about wearing it.

Why give player tattoo options if we can't find any clothing options that show them?
    Options
  • SoulScream
    SoulScream
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked that racial style for my ladies dress and really am not happy to see it changed. I even took it to gold level quality. I think the new armor looks are fine but I do not want my things replaced. Use them for a something else I say.
    Options
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love this dress, I get compliments on it nearly daily.
    You do? Damn. The only comment I ever got is that I look like a farmer (I was wearing the servant robes from Stros M'Kai :smiley:) I'm beginning to suspect my feminine charms might be broken special.
    Options
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In all seriousness, I am not a fan of this change either. I was using it for costume on two characters. In particular I was using the Seadrake costume on my Khajiit fighter because it showed off the arms nicely. On the PTS, the top of the disguise now doesn't even match the rest. And honestly, Redguard light was not even as revealing as Argonian or Wood Elf.

On top of that, even though the texture of the Redguard heavy are very nice, the belt peice is still misaligned.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
    Options
  • SoulScream
    SoulScream
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is my before
    ac42c0f5d72ade87547f6b49b85f9e.png

Moderator note: Edited code to display picture properly, as it was improperly adjusted during the overhaul.
    Edited by ZOS_TristanK on February 20, 2015 8:06PM
    Options
  • SoulScream
    SoulScream
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is my after

ac7ec8040fd121f4faf614ed92fdc8.png

Moderator note: Edited code to display picture properly, as it was improperly adjusted during the overhaul.
    Edited by ZOS_TristanK on February 20, 2015 8:07PM
    Options
  • SoulScream
    SoulScream
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ a massive disappointment!
    Options
  • ElfFromSpace
    ElfFromSpace
    ✭✭✭✭
    Awww that's just awful! I'm so sorry. Yours was so cute before!
    Options
  • Tamanous
    Tamanous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS must be unaware that women who play mmos often dress their toons like they dress up on Halloween ... sleazy as they can get away with.

For a mature rated game I am shocked ZOS is hurting the massive segment of female players who view character customization as a primary draw to games.

I am serious saying this. I personally do not understand dressing like a stripper while engaged in heavy combat but TONS of rl woman I have played mmos with sure as heck do.
    Options
  • Theegoliath
    Theegoliath
    ✭✭✭
    I was not happy when they changed the orc heavy either. It was the only heavy armor that showed skin. ZOS please give us some skin back. This is a Mature rated game after all.
    Options
  • angelyn
    angelyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Damn! I crafted Orc heavy armor specifically to wear to certain events. Yes- my character likes to wear that kind of stuff..now there is none of that kind of stuff in the game. @ZOS, cleavage is not offensive it's a part of being human and women and many men are fans of cleavage. :D

My apologies Daggerfall. The next time you see me dancing at a celebratory event..I will be wearing...nothing at all!-because everything else covers up too much :p
    Options
  • Grunim
    Grunim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tamanous wrote: »
    ZOS must be unaware that women who play mmos often dress their toons like they dress up on Halloween ... sleazy as they can get away with.

For a mature rated game I am shocked ZOS is hurting the massive segment of female players who view character customization as a primary draw to games.

I am serious saying this. I personally do not understand dressing like a stripper while engaged in heavy combat but TONS of rl woman I have played mmos with sure as heck do.

Well I'll counter your post by saying women who play MMOs often dress their characters up to not look sleazy. I have walked away from MMOs where I did not have a choice to play a female who didn't look over sexualized.

For me, the best solution is to offer players choice. Some people want their male and female characters to look sexy, others prefer a more covered look.

Edited by Grunim on February 14, 2015 12:09AM
    Am a whimsical Generation Jones gamer. Online RPGs hooked me since '94 and no sign of stopping soon...

Options
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am sad to see the change. The newer armors seem to be more similar to each other; more generic. I saved a number of the costumes over time, because they were attractive. I used the seadrake disguise to show off my orcs massive arms.

Why the change? It just looks ... worse.

Having the 'old' options in the crown store would of course provide an answer. Not a nice one, but an answer.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
    Options
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Appropriate? Who whose standards?? This is a redguard outfit from a climate that is hot. I hardly think one would actually wear something that bulky and restrictive as the new outfit shown. Even when people in desert areas add loose fitting clothes to protect their skin from the sun, it's not like that crazy clunky shoulder/neck piece.

There are tensions between the two different groups of the Redguards, the Crowns and the Forebears.
    Do either of them have particular views regarding the coverage of females?
    Why give player tattoo options if we can't find any clothing options that show them?

On a more serious note, this is my concern as well.
    My girlfriend is not pleased to see this change either.
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
    Options
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    angelyn wrote: »
    My apologies Daggerfall. The next time you see me dancing at a celebratory event..I will be wearing...nothing at all!-because everything else covers up too much :p
    It's days like this when I'm glad I created a male character in DC. Prepare to see my manly chest at those celebrations. ;) ZOS can't cover it up!
    Options
  • Vyle_Byte
    Vyle_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree!!! And same with Orc heavy top, why on earth would you want to cover it all up?!!!8l77n353ocjx.png
    Hot.
    The new... not so hot. So bummed.
    Member of the Old Guard
    Mother of the Byte Family
    Vyle Byte||Ivana Byte||Vyible Byte||Hakate Vampler Former EMPRESS BWB||Haan Zolo {Retired} (He swung first)||Lunari ||Wardyn Chalyk Tahno||Dirti Dianah||Bonnie||
    Viva la Byte
    Options
  • Siluen
    Siluen
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree with the OP, the original robe was sexy and interesting with a design that sets it apart from other racial styles. The new one on the other hand is extremely generic, the quality of the textures is nice, but the shapes and the design is just meh.

And it's not like that bit of extra cloth is going to stop any arrows.
    Options
  • Ramtaku
    Ramtaku
    ✭✭✭
    Do not underestimate MMO fashionistas ZOS!
    Options
  • gradius_ESO
    gradius_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    We tried to tell them that a majority of us don't like the new style changes to the Redguard light armor or the Heavy armor legs ,but they decided to put up an article instead trying to convince us these changes were good.

Beating this dead horse has produced nothing but pulp.=(
    Options
  • ElfFromSpace
    ElfFromSpace
    ✭✭✭✭
    UGG I hadn't even seen what they did to the heavy armor set yet, since I've not got around to trying to tank on the PTS (I am not good at tanking)

In all seriousness I don't actually think the original outfits are "sleezy" they are interesting and bare less skin than most fantasy women's costumes. Plus there are loads of options for people who don't want to show skin. Only the Redguard, Bosmer, Argonian and Orc really even show skin.
    Options
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of several threads on this theme. It always comes down to:

1. It's armor....etc. etc. etc. Uh, no, it's clothing.

My main walks around town dressed like this:

Andala%20Bosmer%20Daedric%20Mix_zpsxrfe0oyf.png

And thanks to Wyyknd's Outfitter can quickly go into battle dressed like this:

Andala%20Greatsword_zpsxtfwsq6i.png

2. We don't want ESO to become like THIS [insert an elf from Terra Online] or another Asian MMO.....

KoreanElfArmor_zps359e93ec.jpg

3. It's solving a technical issue, usually followed by some tech sounding gibberish about bitmaps that's total nonsense.

The strange reflective properties of dyed cloth and leather, not to mention the issues with dyes changing color depending on what armor style you're dying, are not due to the damned bitmaps.

And even if they were, why change the style? What, was it due to all those (non existent) forum threads begging for new Redguard and Orc armor? Nobody asked for this. They just....made it.

Live teams in online games are supposed to address actual customer issues first. There are other serious art issues regarding clothing and armor that should take priority.
    Options
This discussion has been closed.