Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

suggestion: diseases to add in difficulty, add new debuffs, and more

HeroOfNone
HeroOfNone
✭✭✭✭✭
This suggestion is to bring in more disease other than the simple disease damage we have now. We have a long history of diseases in Elderscrolls games including
Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim . Inside ESO I see a few ways to implement this in the FUTURE. This may be a little bit ahead of its time but could be planned out to be an interesting game mechanic.

Here are some proposed methods regarding contracting, curing, and preventing
Contraction
- Method 1: boss fight risk, If you're fighting world bosses and die, when you respawn there is a high risk to acquire a disease. Another low risk would be whenever a player is hit or damaged.
- Method 2: hanging around too long, certain areas are polluted with disease, and sticking around them will give a risk of giving a special disease for that area.
- Contraction Method 3: special monster spawns,in the future, I imagine there will be new special drops to go along with a new style type or item. giving them a moderate chance of disease will add to the challenge.

Cure
- method 1: mage's guilds in town, which will charge you a small amount to cure each one.
- method 2: alchemy, where new traits or ingredients can be farmed to create cure disease potions for various levels
- method 3: food and rest, where if you don't fight for a while and maintain a food buff will reduce a disease's duration. Certain foods would also cure this faster than others

Prevention
- method 1: runes - existing resist disease runes could reduce the contraction rate and reduce the duration, giving them a use outside of PVP
- method 2: race, Certain racial passives like in wood elves would reduce the duration and contraction rate
- method 3: vampires, which would be immune to a majority of diseases.
- Method 4: spells in the new spell crafting system could provide shields against this.

The benefits and changes this could have long term
- Benefit 1: The reduced loot from bosses could be removed or reduced, since continual fighting will reduce a player's effectiveness
- Benefit 2: XP Farming methods would have a natural enemy, giving a balance to them that wouldn't require reducing XP or mobs
- Benefit 3: towns will have more purpose and with the newly introduced champion system, lead to more challenge if you end up making yourself a criminal in all the holds
- Benefit 4: since vampires would be vastly immune, they would be less affected if there was an addition to the justice system to outlaw vampirism (more of a benefit to the con)
- Benefit 5: Higher challenge to PVE content that will have to be either regulated through trade skills, better groups, or travel to designated spots
- Benefit 6: lore friendly integration to a system that has been in every ElderScrolls game so far.

Reasons why not to do this right NOW
- the justice system isn't fully implimented at the moment
- the spell crafting system is still on its way
- new loot, styles, and drops would have to be planned to released at the same time

Diseases, that's my holiday suggestion for the next year. Let me know what you think, positive or negative =3.

Edit: Moved to Feedback & Suggestions
Edited by HeroOfNone on January 25, 2015 5:05PM
Herfi Driderkitty of the Aldmeri Dominion
Find me on : Twitch | Youtube | Twitter | Reddit
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • SRIBES
    SRIBES
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea.
    Edited by SRIBES on December 27, 2014 12:06AM
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While my old June 2014 post emphasizes different aspects than the OP they seem complimentary.

Elsewhere I much more recently I also suggested clarifying what disease immunity does and if it is just damage type reduction, adding a reduction in the duration of the health debuff effect and/or reducing its impact. I favor the latter if it's either/or.
    Edited by tinythinker on December 27, 2014 12:17AM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ah, didn't see this up back then but I think its very similiar. Still, I think this is a little ahead of its time, given the current system, but I can absolutely see this being integrated in the future with the direction ESO is headed.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just glad the basic concept may get more attention. I hope your post/thread generates lots of interest and catches the devs' eye when they get back from their winter break.

• DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would love to see different diseases in the game, not just generic "disease damage" :)
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I would like to see diseases as more then "some DoT during combat"... the only ones that kiunda fit my idea of how diseases ought to be handled are werewolf/vampire infections.

So, I like the general idea...
    A few thoughts:

Contraction
    - monster damage where it makes sense, no matter if boss or trash mob. Much like the current WW/vamp infection I suppose, with chance dependent on the mob in question...
    - I like the area idea, there could be high-chance localized areas for dangerous diseases, or low-chance large areas for mild ones (winter flu in skyrim? jungle fever in black marsh?)
    - What about eating found food? All those stale fishsticks... who knows how long they have been lying in that cabinet? Add a chance to catch something if one gobbles all them down...

Cure
    - food and rest should cure some, but not all diseases.
    - Player healing magic spells on the other hand might cure some... all "remove affliction" skills might have a chance to cure disease, depending on illness severity.
    - Some diseases would be completely resistant to mere magic spells and require medicine potions... a few very rare ones might even require a special quest to find an ultra-rare ingredient for a special ritual... (a fantasy story classic)
    - ...what about respawn? Technically it should cure any disease, but... that would kinda defeat the purpose, so it can't... so, for some mystic reason these illnesses carry over

Prevention
    - there ought to be both cure disease potions and immunity potions, for yet another option to keep your characters health safe (and the alchemists in business... ;-p )
    - perhaps even special immunities gained from recovering, once you get over it, you are immune to reinfection...

As for disease effects, well, those should vary widely per disease, but not be just some boring "DoT". Stages would be good for more serious illness, stat debuffs are great, stuff like reduced healing, reduced damage output, reduced HP/Stamina/Magika, reduced move speed as you shuffle along in diseased misery... periodical chance to get stunned or do a "barf" animation... that sort of thing... maaaybe some might even have a visual effect though of course that would take more effort for the programmers...
  • Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    +1
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy to see the immediate feeling isn't "things are too hard already!"

@TheShadowScout :

the found food is a good idea, however I feel it should mean found food has a chance to be green, blue, or purple quality. Also fear addons would find a way to out game the system. I could see them putting in a system with the older the food or ingredients, the higher the chance, but folks would probably riot about that. Maybe getting sick from eating the same food all the time? Hmmm, sounds tricky to me right now.

A story based disease sounds fine, but I wouldn't want to lock someone in with a debuff if they wanted to do a quick dungeon run or pvp. Maybe a sickness that affects you in certain areas?

The reason for persistent diseases with respawn is as an balance mark against grinding it has to take a little time to remove. Spending the time and money removing it gives that effect, so maybe devs wouldn't need to cap loot spawns with timers.

While I'm for resistance, I wouldn't want to see out right immunity on everything. Even Vampires I think should face some diseases, but be largely immune to others. Maybe immunity based on certain ones but not others?
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know one disease: Rillis's attacks can't be blocked.
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found food would have to be an simple mechanic... its all white quality, while crafted food is better. So, any white food can have a small chance of your character catching something when consumed. Tracking how long ago that green-quality sweetroll in your inventory was crafted would add too much recordkeeping to the game. Of course, that would make that particular infection vector easy to avoid - just leave found food and not eat it - players choice.

Story based would need to also point towards story based conclusions, a little bit like a drawn out way of those "win fight / do activity while debufffed by drink/poison" quests, just spanning a bit more time. Or give a disease with stages, that is contracted in one quest, cured in an much later one, but can be temporarily negated by some readily available remedy, which would have the player do some questing or dungeons runs while under the influence of remedy potions to not suffer any debuffs...

Of course, there could always be a "cure for gold" option with all diseases, even the big ones, for people who don't wish to take their character through all the mentioned "find cure" questing... though it might be more coslty then a quick "cure common cold" spell...
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moved to Feedback & Suggestions
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flu shots in the Crown Store!
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Elridge
    Elridge
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see the introduction of new diseases into the game. Or rather the diseases from the previous games get put into ESO.

I personally would like to see it be somewhat of a task to cure a disease(such as gathering specific materials to cure the disease), but then again I don't think other players would like this as it would cut down additional time, and some would view it as tedious. Perhaps one method of curing could be something in the Restoration Staff skill line, or Templar?

I'd definitely like to see something like this eventually in the game. Adds a nice touch to the immersion, and fight mechanics.
    Account Name:@Elridge
    "Be kind and generous to the people of Tamriel. Protect the weak, heal the sick, and give to the needy." -Stendarr "Ten Commands of the Nine Divines"
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flu shots in the Crown Store!

That might be more of a reality than you think. Buy the potion with gold or crowns and be able grind another 2 hours in the same spot with stunted exp. Seems like a good alternative to reducing mobs exp or selling exclusively exp pots.
    Elridge wrote: »
    I'd love to see the introduction of new diseases into the game. Or rather the diseases from the previous games get put into ESO.

I personally would like to see it be somewhat of a task to cure a disease(such as gathering specific materials to cure the disease), but then again I don't think other players would like this as it would cut down additional time, and some would view it as tedious. Perhaps one method of curing could be something in the Restoration Staff skill line, or Templar?

I'd definitely like to see something like this eventually in the game. Adds a nice touch to the immersion, and fight mechanics.

I would like it, but as I mentioned, anything that takes a while to cure should be in a specific area or instance, so folks can still quickly go to a dungeon, trial, or PVP without being debuffed the whole time.
  • Brother_Numsie
    Brother_Numsie
    ✭✭✭