Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ZOS: When does the 6 month subscription return?

• Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think you'll know in 3-6 months time.
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
  • RazielSR
    RazielSR
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah...great. Im gonna sleep now.
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RazielSR wrote: »

Yeah...great. Im gonna sleep now.

Probably the best course of action. There's no better answers to be given around this place.
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
  • Govalon
    Govalon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Guppet wrote: »

Just out of curiosity is "Final Fantasy XIV - A Realm Reborn" free to play on the PS4 or XBone?

No and if there is a game you can trust to NEVER become f2p, it is that one. Developers have stated that they rather shut the servers down than taint SquareEnix's reputation with f2p stigma. Honor is a big deal in Japan. Their first MMO, final fantasy 11 has been running for something like 10 years and is still running. Still not f2p.
  • Rodario
    Rodario
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nibelaja wrote: »
    I dont want to spread any rumors, but i can remember clearly when EA deleted the 180 days subscription for Warhammer Online that a half year later that lovely game were gone...
    Remember thats just some experience, no official news^^

True. We are all speculating but hey...I really think the most obvious thing to happen would be about what we are talking.

And more if you read the answer from the french mod

ZOS does not say a word because they cant,mainly because should be trur. Of course if this was not true,they would just say "dont panic! Console release is not making the game go f2p" this game,AS WE SAID, wont go f2p. We would shut down servers before that happens"

I don't believe anything ZOS says anymore.

They have lost all credibility with their XP->CP flip flop and will have to work hard to regain my trust.
    Edited by Rodario on December 23, 2014 11:24AM
    Victoria Lux - Templar Tank
    {EU/DC}
  • Teiji
    Teiji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful, I knew I should've paid for 180 days in builk... If I could've done.

Now I have to remember to pay for my subscription four times a year as opposed to twice! Ugh, I'm so glad I put slightly more sugar in my coffee. This is the worst news since we found out the Earth is not flat.

As I'm sure everyone is aware of, removing something from a paid service which has a decreased monetary value, will force customers to pay for the other options, which are of an increased monetary value. Potentially resulting in an increase of a numerical value at the end of each quarter and beyond.
    Edited by Teiji on December 23, 2014 12:02PM
    "Serving Boethiah is Freedom, embracing heroism is Liberty, existing solely for noxiphilic sanguivoria is truth." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

European megaserver Fallout 4

Loyalist of Boethiah, heroism enthusiast, exposer of secrets, bless'ed of noxiphilic sanguivoria.

Nerf one grind, two more take its place; hail Gryndra!

I am a dank memer and satire enthusiast
  • WhiskyBob
    WhiskyBob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cancelling 6 month subscription was first step towards F2P in following games:
    - Age of Conan
    - Tera
    - Warhammer
    - Fallen Earth
    - Rift

Usually devs announce that 1-2 months before going F2P not to loose players early.

I remember Zenimax claiming they dont plan to go free to play. But After XP -> CP flip flop i dont trust Zenimax.

I dont trust that Zenimax cares about what community has to say, they have strict business and developement plan and they will stick to it no matter what we have to say.

Free To Play is more money for less effort, new content is replaced with new mounts and hats, bots go rampage and 13-16 yo kids go crazy with their parents MasterCard giving company money but scaring away mature community.

I want to believe F2P is not the case.
    But I cant.
    Zenimax and Bethesda are big companies with lots of shareholders. They are not here to make players happy, they are here to make money no matter what harm will it cause to the community. Mature community wont buy cute mounts and 20$ hats, but hordes of kids will.

I actually wonder how I got myself into believing ESO wont follow most popular money-grab model in AAA mmo's.
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought Zenimax and Bethsoft were private companies and didn't have to answer to shareholders in the same way? Sure I recall someone saying that.
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • WhiskyBob
    WhiskyBob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok not shareholders but investors ( Providence Equity Partners, ProSiebenSat.1 Media). Still. They have obligations.
    Edited by WhiskyBob on December 23, 2014 12:09PM
  • Weberda
    Weberda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought Zenimax and Bethsoft were private companies and didn't have to answer to shareholders in the same way? Sure I recall someone saying that.

It is a private holding but they have investors that need to see a ROI which makes them akin to shareholders in a public company.

Fernwood, EP Haderus NA
    Lo Behold, AD Thornblade NA (formerly Haderus, inactive)
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are.They aren't obligated to reveal their financial statements to the public and don't need to focus on short-term results to keep their stock value up - but unfortunately, it doesn't mean there's no one in the company pressuring for those results. At the end of the day, private and public companies just want to make money.

We'll see what comes out of it. I must admit it makes me a little sad that all these things are cropping up right now. Maybe I should get off the forum and forget it exists till January...
  • Guppet
    Guppet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WhiskyBob wrote: »
    Ok not shareholders but investors ( Providence Equity Partners, ProSiebenSat.1 Media). Still. They have obligations.

They are an Incorporated company in the US and the European branch Zenimax Europe Ltd is a private limited company.

They don't have to file accounts in the states, but they sure do in the UK. Lets just say that while 2013 was not the best year for them (they posted a loss of 36%, ouch, that's probably exceptional items and im not that bothered that im going to find out what they were), they have enough resources that free to play should not be on the cards any time soon.
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quoting @ZOS_GinaBruno from another thread:
    That said, we’re going to continue to be open about our plans and designs for the future of ESO. While a change in development like this can be frustrating, it isn’t a reason for us to not communicate.

I think this decision of removing the 6-month subscription (with no apparent reason) warrants an answer.
  • RazielSR
    RazielSR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cancelling 6 month subscription was first step towards F2P in following games:
    - Age of Conan
    - Tera
    - Warhammer
    - Fallen Earth
    - Rift

Usually devs announce that 1-2 months before going F2P not to loose players early.

I remember Zenimax claiming they dont plan to go free to play. But After XP -> CP flip flop i dont trust Zenimax.

I dont trust that Zenimax cares about what community has to say, they have strict business and developement plan and they will stick to it no matter what we have to say.

Free To Play is more money for less effort, new content is replaced with new mounts and hats, bots go rampage and 13-16 yo kids go crazy with their parents MasterCard giving company money but scaring away mature community.

I want to believe F2P is not the case.
    But I cant.
    Zenimax and Bethesda are big companies with lots of shareholders. They are not here to make players happy, they are here to make money no matter what harm will it cause to the community. Mature community wont buy cute mounts and 20$ hats, but hordes of kids will.

I actually wonder how I got myself into believing ESO wont follow most popular money-grab model in AAA mmo's.

I agree. I remember the Age of Conan thing...the only mmorpg I liked. The behaviour and silence mixed with new updates changing and improving the game,was the same.

As you say, I dont want to believe this is because f2p is coming,but I cant.
    If not,why are there mo mods or staff from ZOS saying its not true?

Remember when all this ESO thing started? Everybody trusted in ZOS. Now nobody trust. Its sad,but true.
    Edited by RazielSR on December 23, 2014 12:25PM
  • Winnower
    Winnower
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh well.

I guess I can afford to care less about the championship points screw-up, the ultimate rework screw-up, and other things if the game is going F2P within 6 months.

I'm a 6-month subscriber.

When the game goes F2P I'll be gone. I don't play F2P games.

Canceling the 6-month subscriptions is the CLEAREST sign they could possibly give that the game is going F2P.
    VR14 Templar, VR14 DK, VR8 DK, VR7 NB, VR1 Sorcerer;
    All 3 Alliances;
    2 Pre-order Imperial Accounts, yes that means 16 characters on NA alone
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh well, they could still keep their promise by just pulling the plug from the PC servers and firing them up for XB and PS again. EU goes PS4, since sales are considerably higher than XBone, which then of course will be hosted in NA.

The potential box sales probably are higher in that market than we currently got subscribers, so I wouldn't be all too surprised if such a thought came to the suits' bean-counting minds.

Lose a couple of customers, save on hardware, sell to more for a higer price and... profit. IF the consoleros buy it.
  • kevlarto_ESO
    kevlarto_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe just as simple as the 6 month plans were not popular, so they removed them /shrug
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    maybe just as simple as the 6 month plans were not popular, so they removed them /shrug

And how does having more choices hurt them (or us)?

Still makes absolutely no sense.
  • kongkim
    kongkim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny thread here with all the same doom sayers what will quit the game if ZOS change that or don't do that and yelling up about how they F... them over and lie and ruin their days all the time...
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if it have to do with console release in 6 months more or less and the game going to be by obligation f2p to be released in consoles?
    It would have been totally insane to go F2P before the console launch and miss out all the console sales and subscriptions.

If they needed money they would also offer one year subscriptions. as its give lots of money inn. Note that you can still go F2P lord of the rings did.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gyudan wrote: »
    @bellanca6561n: on the french forum, one of the players was arguing that he'll now have to pay an extra 1€ every month (+7% increase) for his sub.
    Most people would feel bad if their rent or electricity went up 7%.

Don't get me wrong. I have also opted for six month subscriptions and am unhappy that this option has been taken away. For Eve I subscribe annually and would have taken that option here too if it had been offered.

I was just commenting on the irony of it in light of the...well...general tone of this forum ;)
    Edited by bellanca6561n on December 23, 2014 12:46PM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They are an Incorporated company in the US and the European branch Zenimax Europe Ltd is a private limited company.

They don't have to file accounts in the states, but they sure do in the UK. Lets just say that while 2013 was not the best year for them (they posted a loss of 36%, ouch, that's probably exceptional items and im not that bothered that im going to find out what they were), they have enough resources that free to play should not be on the cards any time soon.
    2013 was not an game with huge titles as far as I know it was also the switch to PS4 and One while finishing ESO, 2012 was Skyrim year so they probably earned well.

Note that its two reasons to go F2P, one is to fill up empty servers, the second is the pressure to do something with the problem.

First is not an issue for ESO, yes its some areas with low population but that is true on all MMO, plenty of new players coming in too.
    Second is not an issue either unless they sold the project as an wow killer.

Last delaying the console release point toward long term thinking not fast money from the sales. By delaying the game they get an better product but have to wait for the money.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • AllPlayAndNoWork
    AllPlayAndNoWork
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't read too much into this....... Simple fact is less people are playing so they need to charge more................. Get rid of the cheapest payment option..... Make more money.

Lets punish the loyal customers.

Simples.
  • Grileenor
    Grileenor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DDuke wrote: »
    Quoting @ZOS_GinaBruno from another thread:
    That said, we’re going to continue to be open about our plans and designs for the future of ESO. While a change in development like this can be frustrating, it isn’t a reason for us to not communicate.

I think this decision of removing the 6-month subscription (with no apparent reason) warrants an answer.
    /signed. As a 6-month subscriber I am deeply worried. I hate F2P games. F2P ESO would make me think hard... @ZOS_GinaBruno please tell us something about this change. I doubt the current stated reason.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 6 month subscription offered a discount of like 2 bucks per month. They're doing to it get that extra 6 bucks. I want to know if I'm signed up for 6 months, can I continue paying my $70 for 6 months?
    Edited by Gidorick on December 23, 2014 1:19PM
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Random thought time - maybe it is to do with currency fluctations?

Rouble falling at an incredible rate for example. Maybe they don't want people buying large chucks of game time when they will make more money out of them as certain currencies devalue more over the next few months?
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    The 6 month subscription offered a discount of like 2 bucks per month. They're doing to it get that extra 6 bucks. I want to know if I'm signed up for 6 months, can I continue paying my $70 for 6 months?

12 bucks. (2×6=12 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

Rouble falling at an incredible rate for example. Maybe they don't want people buying large chucks of game time when they will make more money out of them as certain currencies devalue more over the next few months?

Yep. I have same thoughts. Just like it was with time cards. IMO ZOS will bring it back when rouble stops falling (not just falling, but return to normal value).
    Edited by AshySamurai on December 23, 2014 1:40PM
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, might be the reason, not so many Russian players however other can also buy gametime and reducing time to 3 months will reduce the problem to the half.
    Also long term trends look like the dollar is getting stronger compared to euro and other major currencies. This will reduce income.
  • Guppet
    Guppet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »

2013 was not an game with huge titles as far as I know it was also the switch to PS4 and One while finishing ESO, 2012 was Skyrim year so they probably earned well.

Note that its two reasons to go F2P, one is to fill up empty servers, the second is the pressure to do something with the problem.

First is not an issue for ESO, yes its some areas with low population but that is true on all MMO, plenty of new players coming in too.
    Second is not an issue either unless they sold the project as an wow killer.

Last delaying the console release point toward long term thinking not fast money from the sales. By delaying the game they get an better product but have to wait for the money.

Pretty much agree with all of that. People complaining that we were playing a beta have been pretty much spot on to be honest. This whole thing for the past 6 months has been about getting the game in its very best state to then bring it to consoles.

As soon as they mentioned the champion system, there was no way consoles were getting it until that was out and working well.

It can succeed on consoles with a subscription, in fact there is a massive hole in the market for it (some people don't like FF games).

There is most definitely a correlation with their accounts and the release of large games and spikes in income/profit.
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »

Yes, might be the reason, not so many Russian players however other can also buy gametime and reducing time to 3 months will reduce the problem to the half.
    Also long term trends look like the dollar is getting stronger compared to euro and other major currencies. This will reduce income.

Nope. Not because of Russians. It's because the rest of players. Only not russians can get a benefit. The price is fixed and Russian players pay the same amount in April, in August and in December. But all other players can convert dollars/euro into roubles and buy game time at lower price.
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!