Maintenance for the week of February 27:
• North American and European PC/Mac megaservers for patch maintenance – February 27, 4:00AM EST (9:00 GMT)
• North American and European Xbox One megaservers for maintenance – February 27, 7:00AM EST (12:00 GMT)
• North American and European PlayStation®4 megaservers for maintenance – February 27, 7:00AM EST (12:00 GMT)

ZOS: When does the 6 month subscription return?

  • SgtPepperUK
    SgtPepperUK
    ✭✭✭
    RazielSR wrote: »
    As you say, I dont want to believe this is because f2p is coming,but I cant.
    If not,why are there mo mods or staff from ZOS saying its not true?

    Remember when all this ESO thing started? Everybody trusted in ZOS. Now nobody trust. Its sad,but true.
    Grileenor wrote: »
    /signed. As a 6-month subscriber I am deeply worried. I hate F2P games. F2P ESO would make me think hard... @ZOS_GinaBruno please tell us something about this change. I doubt the current stated reason.

    Even if Gina came and said they have no plans for F2P it doesn't mean a thing, I recall similar assurances from Turbine about LOTRO at the time they introduced F2P for the ailing DDO. A few months later LOTRO went F2P.
    ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Whiterun Wolfhound or RIOTヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS recently bragged about 'improved communication' and 'transparency'. By leaving the sub change unexplained, they are ignoring their stated intention, with the result being the loss of subscriber trust.

    There are two reasonable explanations for the lack of communication. First, it could be unintentional. Someone from billing dept didn't think to talk to someone in PR dept, so we got left in the dark, with perhaps a reasonable explanation forthcoming, or similar scenario.

    Second, the silence is intentional. If true, this generally means bad news is being hidden. Companies always publicize news that will be welcomed, but rarely publicize news which will be poorly received. Unless ZOS lives up to their stated intent of 'improved communication' and 'transparency' by explaining the sub change, I'd be prepared for bad news.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would just be nice to have some clarification what this means for those who have existing six months subs - even if they won't give us an full explaination as to why they are doing it. I don't think it makes sense to give your customers less payment options unless it benefits you significantly to do so.
    The sad part is that ZOS actually thinks people are naive enough to believe the reason of "people didn't like the 6 month options as much as the others".

    Seriously, first of all its quite logical that a 6 month options is less popular. People generally dont like to be obliged to such a thing for half a year. Secondly, it gives ZOS no benefit at all, so there must be another reason. Everyone can realize this. ZOS should stop pretending that they can feed us bullcrap and expect us to willingly swallow it. This just smells of nasty things to come, and we all know it.

    Why is it so hard for companies to be transparant? Its been like this since your overly protective beta program ZOS.

    Edited by Koensol on December 23, 2014 5:37PM
  • j.murro2ub17_ESO
    j.murro2ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sindala wrote: »
    Guppet wrote: »
    RazielSR wrote: »
    What if it have to do with console release in 6 months more or less and the game going to be by obligation f2p to be released in consoles?

    Why does it have to be free to play on consoles? Modern console players that play online already understand about pay subscriptions.

    You would effectively have to pay 3 times to play the game.
    Once for your Internet provider,
    once to sony/xbox for their internet connection and
    one to Zenimax to play the game.

    Would you really do that for a game a year old that your probably at VR14 on the PC anyway??
    Plus they are trying to grab console players who normally only buy the game once then play it thru.
    This type of MMO is pretty new to consoles (don't quote ff14 as that's not a western MMO) and to entice people things have to be free not come with a $15 per month price tag (just a guess).

    You have to pay sony or xbox for their connection too? There lies the problem and it is totally ridiculous. I'll stay on pc thank you.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't have to pay Sony for access to ESO, only the normal sub.
    However, most of us also subscribe to PS+ anyway, but once again
    you don't have to.

    Currently playing: Lupus Mortis - LVL50 Imperial Templar PS4 EP Scourge NA

    TequilaFire - LVL50 Dunmer DragonKnight PS4 EP Scourge NA
    Razakar - LVL50 Khajiit Nightblade PS4 EP Scourge NA
    ZephyrFire - LVL50 High Elf Sorcerer PS4 EP Scourge/Skull NA
    Enthlir - LVL50 Bosmer Nightblade PS4 EP Scourge NA
    Ra'arr LVL 40 Khajiit Stam Sorc PC AD Trueflame NA
    CP689
    PSN: TequilaFire

  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't read too much into this....... Simple fact is less people are playing so they need to charge more................. Get rid of the cheapest payment option..... Make more money.

    Lets punish the loyal customers.

    Simples.
    This is the only reason I can see why ZoS would remove a longer sub plan, short of the unthinkable. I have no issue with F2P as long as it doesn't go P2W like Neverwinter was. Rift did F2P pretty well imho but I still wouldn't want to see ESO go F2P.
    Shadow is where the truth lies.
    Legerdemain - The path to Thievery
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say it was a case of hedging their bets.

    As to whether it stays sub-based or F2P, I can't say in all honesty that I'm bothered. I prefer sub-based games but not on any point of die-hard principle, it's just that they tend to be better and with more mature communities (without factoring in the PvP aspect which never does any MMO any favours in that respect).

    The bottom line, however, is the quality of the game. If it's decent then I'll play it, regardless of business model, if it isn't decent then I won't play it, regardless of business model.

    ESO is in my experience, and based on my preferred playstyle, an exceptional game and one that performs very smoothly. On that basis I'll carry on playing it for as long as I am enjoying it, regardless of business model.

    However, for those who like the game, but who do have a principled objection to F2P, then I have to admit that the decision to remove the 6 months sub does need a more convincing explanation than that reported to have been offered on the French forum. Failure to provide one will simply fuel the fire.

    If there is one thing I can agree on with the internet trolls on this forum over the past many months, it is that ZOS need to step up to the line and increase their communications to their paying customers. This, in particular, is not the time to go all shy on us.
  • lordrichter
    lordrichter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_KaiSchober‌

    Können Sie uns etwas mehr über das, was geschah mit den 6 Monate Abonnements ?

    (Eh, it was worth a try) :smile:
    PC North America since March 2014 --- Currently ESO Plus?

    Studios that can make great games, do. Those that cannot, make online stores.

  • HippieTheGreat
    HippieTheGreat
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno‌

    Can we get some comment on this? I have the 6month sub, and I would like to keep it.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    Community Ambassador
    I picked the 6 Month option because it was the least amount of money for that time frame. It would be nice to have it back.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

  • radiostar
    radiostar
    ✭✭✭

    Perhaps Z does not want to discount the price so they removed the option. Might bring it back at full price.
    "Billions upon Billions of Stars"
  • criscal
    criscal
    ✭✭
    Well, nothing new to add. Just stating that only a very high ranking company representative's statement would stop the f2p rumours now. Everybody not wanting f2p should quit now and only subscribe again after 6+ months or said statement. I like the game currently and will continue playing it as long as I like it.
  • lordrichter
    lordrichter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    criscal wrote: »
    Well, nothing new to add. Just stating that only a very high ranking company representative's statement would stop the f2p rumours now. Everybody not wanting f2p should quit now and only subscribe again after 6+ months or said statement. I like the game currently and will continue playing it as long as I like it.

    Yes, because the one thing that will teach them that they should stick with the subscription model is for everyone to drop their subscriptions.

    Sheesh.

    PC North America since March 2014 --- Currently ESO Plus?

    Studios that can make great games, do. Those that cannot, make online stores.

  • DaisyK
    DaisyK
    ✭✭
    To some it may be rediculous to fret about 1€/$ a month.. but for those of us with limited funds it helps.. every little thing helps.
  • karmamule
    karmamule
    ✭✭✭
    criscal wrote: »
    Well, nothing new to add. Just stating that only a very high ranking company representative's statement would stop the f2p rumours now. Everybody not wanting f2p should quit now and only subscribe again after 6+ months or said statement. I like the game currently and will continue playing it as long as I like it.

    Be careful though, there's a chance that if you're currently a 6 month subscriber you'll be grandfathered in, as our accounts still show the next renewal will be for another 6 months. If you cancel you definitely will NOT be grandfathered in because there is no longer an option to re-select when you sign up again.
  • Livvy
    Livvy
    ✭✭✭
    When I first noticed the 6 month sub wasn't available anymore, I submitted a ticket because I thought it must be a glitch or something. The only reason I had to re-sub was because my payment info changed. This is one of the lines they gave in their response. "All automatic renewal of 180-days plans won't go through anymore."

    I do not understand why they felt the need to discontinue this option. Seems very strange to me, and like there must be something else other than the line they're giving about it not being as popular. I don't see the harm in having it for those that want it. And if it wasn't very popular, it couldn't have been costing them all that much.
    ->--Livvy--<-
  • lordrichter
    lordrichter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Livvy‌ When was this that you noticed it?
    PC North America since March 2014 --- Currently ESO Plus?

    Studios that can make great games, do. Those that cannot, make online stores.

  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Livvy‌ When was this that you noticed it?
    Trying to get the countdown to F2P? :grin:
    Wololo.
  • drschplatt
    drschplatt
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only reason I didn't go for a 6 month sub is because the game is in such a flux that I didn't want to be tied down that long. Once 1.6 comes out I'll have a better idea.
    Foräois - Imperial Sorcerer of Ineptitude.
    Widoch - Nord Dragon Knight of Ignorance.
    Billy Bob - Dunmer Templar of Chicken and Noodles.
    Blades of Vengeance
  • Zed
    Zed
    ✭✭✭
    Spend spend spend! 'Cause you don't know any better.
  • lordrichter
    lordrichter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gyudan wrote: »
    @Livvy‌ When was this that you noticed it?
    Trying to get the countdown to F2P? :grin:

    They do tend to just do things without mentioning them, and change plans without mentioning it, so I was sort of wondering how long ago they removed the 6-month subscription.

    Their idea of transparent, at least when it comes to communication, bears a striking resemblance to a block of coal.

    I also wonder if they have internal contests to see who correctly guesses how long it will take for us to notice things like this, but that is a different discussion.

    Edited by lordrichter on December 24, 2014 1:47AM
    PC North America since March 2014 --- Currently ESO Plus?

    Studios that can make great games, do. Those that cannot, make online stores.

  • Voodoo
    Voodoo
    ✭✭✭✭
    this tells me that ZOS has had solid subscription numbers but not so huge that they can afford to hold onto the cheeper 6 month sub. Why not make $3 more per month of of everyone by offering short sub deals.
  • SteveCampsOut
    SteveCampsOut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is that after the first 6 months subscriptions went up, many people no longer trusted ZOS enough to renew for another 6 months, like myself and dropped down to a shorter plan so they could ditch the game easier if they so chose to do. I went from 6 months down to 30 days because I am no longer certain I want to stick around and I'm only giving them 30 days at a time to address certain issues.
    Sanguine & Psijic Group Beta Tester.
    Steve's Craftiness Find out what I can make for you at my Google Doc Spreadsheet.
    NA Server:
    Guildmaster of Pacrooti's Hirelings AD Based Multifaction LGBT Friendly Guild.
    Steforax Soulstrong CH571 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH571 Dragonknight AD
    Rheticia Le Drakisius CH571 Nightblade DC
    Razmuzan Thrasmas CH571 Templar EP
    Sheenara Soulstrong Lvl 38 Dragonknight DC
    Erik Ramzey CH571 Nightblade AD
    Growling Kahjiti CH571 Nightblade EP
    One of Many Faces Lvl 40 Sorcerer DC
    EU Server:
    Guildmaster of Pacrooti's Hirelings AD Based Multifaction LGBT Friendly Guild.
    Stefrex Souliss CH431 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti Lvl 43 Dragonknight DC
    Slithisi Ksissi CH431 Nightblade EP
    Pokes-With-Fire Lvl 41 Dragonknight AD
    Josie-The-Pussi-Cat Lvl 29 Templar AD
    Stug-Grog M'God Lvl 29 Templar DC
    One With Many Faces Lvl 32 Nightblade DC
    Trixie Truskan Lvl 38 Sorcerer EP
  • Livvy
    Livvy
    ✭✭✭
    @Livvy‌ When was this that you noticed it?

    Sunday :)
    ->--Livvy--<-
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    The 6 month subscription offered a discount of like 2 bucks per month. They're doing to it get that extra 6 bucks. I want to know if I'm signed up for 6 months, can I continue paying my $70 for 6 months?

    12 bucks. (2×6=12 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

    LOL. yea... I wasn't quite clear. I thought someone might think my math was janky. Let me clarify:

    We get $1 off per month for paying in 3 month chunks... $2 off per month for paying in $6 months chunks... so if I pay one time for 6 months (12X6) it's $72. If I pay in two 3 month chunks for those 6 months (13X6) it's $78.

    $78-$72 = $6.

    it's an extra $6 over the maximum discount we can get now paying 3 months at a time.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

    Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Random thought time - maybe it is to do with currency fluctations?

    Rouble falling at an incredible rate for example. Maybe they don't want people buying large chucks of game time when they will make more money out of them as certain currencies devalue more over the next few months?

    Damn... you're probably right. It's so we aren't getting the $8 per month because of exchange rates... bummer. I was 100% content paying the $12 per month every 6 months... now I'll just have to be content paying $13 per month every 3. :disagree:

    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

    Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The longer this goes on though without a credible official statement then the more it is starting to smell a lot like Fishmas....
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

    http://www.imperialtradingcompany.net/

    http://www.youtube.com/user/wenxue2222/videos
  • Ethona
    Ethona
    ✭✭✭
    Folks, I highly doubt this game would go Free to Play. However, It may go Buy to Play, which is a fair and widely used model for consoles. B2P still would mean a great game, that just so happens to be fair to consoles, and a bit more enticing to new players, while bringing in a good profit. I don't own any consoles, and I'm OK with paying a sub, and I'm also OK with B2P option as well. If the game gains a B2P option than you'd probably see a 20 dollar price tag every 4 months for a new ZONE + the dungeons, trials, and content that would come with it. I do not trust a thing ZOS say anymore, but sure there's a little side of me that would like a B2P option. Anyways, we all will know in 2 or 3 months.
    Edited by Ethona on December 24, 2014 6:31AM
  • ebunts14_ESO
    ebunts14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Ethona wrote: »
    Folks, I highly doubt this game would go Free to Play. However, It may go Buy to Play, which is a fair and widely used model for consoles. B2P still would mean a great game, that just so happens to be fair to consoles, and a bit more enticing to new players, while bringing in a good profit. I don't own any consoles, and I'm OK with paying a sub, and I'm also OK with B2P option as well. If the game gains a B2P option than you'd probably see a 20 dollar price tag every 4 months for a new ZONE + the dungeons, trials, and content that would come with it. I do not trust a thing ZOS say anymore, but sure there's a little side of me that would like a B2P option. Anyways, we all will know in 2 or 3 months.

    Every game is B2P. I bought this game as did everyone else that has played since launch. Consoles should be no different. No one that buys the game on consoles is forced to do so. No charges are hidden. Pretty much every XBone owner knows Microshaft will charge for their service. This charge has nothing to do with ZOS.

    Unless ZOS allows the community team to say something, they can't. They are under their NDA.




  • Sindala
    Sindala
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's worth pointing out that from a business point of view to remove the 6 Month Sub makes Zero sense and will probably cost the company more.
    A 6 month sub is 1 transaction, done and dusted for 6 months they have the cash up front and only cost them 1 transaction with say Visa.
    2x 3 month subs means 2 transactions (which all cost the company money) and only half the money upfront with no guarantee they will see the other 3 month sub.
    Monthly is 6x 1...you get the point.
    Companies will always go for the longest options available as it costs less in transaction charges and also the person being paid to sort all this stuff out (HR Dept) at the same time giving them the max amount of funding for other projects.

    I'm afraid this is 1 of 3 things as stated already...
    1, At best it's an error and should still be there.
    2, 2nd best is the game is going F2P in less than 6 Months.
    3, Worst possible outcome is they are doing a cash grab on subscribers, (probably to pay for console release) which means they just gave the subscribers the middle finger. Or we are in deep trouble with the coin counters upstairs. Either way to do it without letting the subscribers know first just shows the distain Zenimax has for loyal customers and that they are only interested in getting that console crowd.
    Edited by Sindala on December 24, 2014 8:09AM
    Being First is not the prize, it just mean's everyone can stab you in the back.
Sign In or Register to comment.