Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

Why ESO did not turn out to be what people wanted.

• nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gohlar wrote: »
    ESO is a linear, restricted theme park.

Other elder scrolls games aren't.
    Yes they were. You could not change the course of history in the single player games. You could not build armies or cities.

You haven't played with mods.
    LOL! Mods are not the game. You like what you were able to hack the game into, not the game itself.

Yes to this.

I'm always sick of people comparing modded [insert ES game here] to any vanilla game. Of course the modded version of the game let you do anything. My modded Skyrim sometimes has mudcrabs that have the voice of Zoidberg. That doesn't mean that ESO is missing something because it doesn't have Zoidberg-mudcrabs.
    ----
    Murray?
    Options
  • bubbajones
    bubbajones
    ✭✭✭
    just another MMORPG

Massively monotonous on line real pissed-off gamer

im so tired of the boring waste time mechanics of MMo's these days and I haven't played any for a few years because of it and I came back to this game which drives me to boredom by making it a real time waster to get anywhere so that I hold my account for a long time and they make money

Guess what? I am not paying to be bored and that's why I quit EQ years ago because I felt they were wasting my time and I was paying them for wasting my time. I would gladly pay for years if the game mechanics were fun and rewards were worth it but the way it is now its just like every other mmorpg and its boring, I want content not Inventory logout mini games to spend my time.

Im losing faith in the game
    Options
  • txfeinbergsub17_ESO
    bubbajones wrote: »
    just another MMORPG

im so tired of the boring waste time mechanics of MMo's these days and I haven't played any for a few years because of it and I came back to this game which drives me to boredom by making it a real time waster to get anywhere so that I hold my account for a long time and they make money

Guess what? I am not paying to be bored and that's why I quit EQ years ago because I felt they were wasting my time and I was paying them for wasting my time. I would gladly pay for years if the game mechanics were fun and rewards were worth it but the way it is now its just like every other mmorpg and its boring, I want content not Inventory logout mini games to spend my time.

So leave! Believe me, you won't be missed.
    Options
  • Lalai
    Lalai
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes to this.

I'm always sick of people comparing modded [insert ES game here] to any vanilla game. Of course the modded version of the game let you do anything. My modded Skyrim sometimes has mudcrabs that have the voice of Zoidberg. That doesn't mean that ESO is missing something because it doesn't have Zoidberg-mudcrabs.

My modded Skyrim has had dragons that are Macho Man Randy Savage, and sometimes My Little Ponys (Ponies?). Somehow I'm glad those didn't make it into ESO, not that they really fit in Skyrim either. I will have to check out Zoidberg at some point.
    Fisher extraordinaire!
    Send me your worms, crawlers, guts, and insect parts.
    Templar Healer
    Daggerfall Covenant, NA
    Options
  • RianaTheBosmer
    RianaTheBosmer
    ✭✭✭
    I've played the Elder Scrolls series for well over a decade. This game feels like an Elder Scrolls game to me. So obviously, I'm insane, or I value different things about the series than you do.

Of course, the issue could be that you (and most other people making this complaint) aren't actually explaining any specifics about what you're missing.

They also made an mmo and made the multiplayer parts completely unrewarding. They finally made multiplayer Elder Scrolls and the multiplayer part sucks. Anyone being objective could spot these issues a mile away and would never say it feels like other Elder Scrolls games when it's barely even in the same genre.

ESO is setup like F2P questing games and falls way short as an mmo. It also falls short as an Elder Scrolls game with it's painfully dull and generic series of solo quests.

This is your opinion It is not my opinion or any of the others who are staying subbed. Honestly, once the community is weeded out, it will be a much nicer place.
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gix wrote: »
    A more accurate way of saying it is: it did not turn out the way I expected. I expected crap and I was pleasantly surprised.
    Pretty much the same, did not expected crap but rather an poor wow clone. In fact I did not followed the game much and registered for beta at Christmas then bored and wanted too watch an video and got the register page, was in preorder mode after 10 minutes
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree Kerin, I think the game will follow a very similar path as swtor. I was being sarcastic when I said it was going to be great for the game, if you took me seriously.
    Knovah wrote: »
    I am not defending the company or a fangurl (or whatever it is spelled) I simply want to know what you are basing your numbers and FACTS on? They will not release corporate numbers to public and you can only speculate at best.

Yes, it's speculation. But they do release numbers when sales are strong and there is a very small forum presence for a newly released mmo. PvP population is also small. All indicators point to a small population. It's technically still speculation, but if this sold millions like swtor, we'd know.
    Took a long time before they released sales numbers for skyrim and it sold well.
    Most players are still leveling and don't do much PvP,it will be more but not like beta where it was nothing else to dooand yes this forum is pretty crappy

But I agree had it sold as well as swtor they would have told so,

Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Options
  • molishero
    molishero
    ESO was never intended to be The Elder Scrolls VI. It's an MMO based on the Elder Scrolls and nothing more. To expect it to be anything like TES in terms of gameplay mechanics is just idiotic. I will say, for Zenimax's first MMO they did an incredible job.

Just for the love of god, get rid of the spammers.
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just another MMORPG

More important, why buy the game if you didn't like gameplay in beta?curious Khajiit want too know
    Options
  • RianaTheBosmer
    RianaTheBosmer
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, I am tired hearing from people who spent money on the game and then just continue to diss it. This is a great game and I've played a lot of them. I never expected it to be Skyrim online so I guess that's why I love it.
    Options
  • Lalai
    Lalai
    ✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    Took a long time before they released sales numbers for skyrim and it sold well.
    Most players are still leveling and don't do much PvP,it will be more but not like beta where it was nothing else to dooand yes this forum is pretty crappy

I attributed it to them not wanting to release numbers until it was out on all the platforms. Probably has to do with them wanting to say the highest number possible, but I guess I don't see that as some doomsday deal the predicts how fast a game will go F2P. People make the "This game will be F2P in a few months" claims with every new MMO release, and have for a few years. Rift lasted a good chunk of time before falling F2P, but at launch people were saying it'd be F2P in a few months because it was a WoW clone and all. People gave FFXIV:ARR a few months too, it's still up and going after more than six.

Yeah, this will likely go F2P at some point, as every other MMO on the market eventually will, or they'll shut down.. even WoW/UO/Eve.. just cause over time stuff tends to die out. Some games have longer runs than others. I'll still enjoy my sub while it lasts though :)
    Fisher extraordinaire!
    Templar Healer
    Daggerfall Covenant, NA
    Options
  • SuperScrubby
    SuperScrubby
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is pretty easily answered. By trying to cater to both the single player ES players and MMO vets they tried to straddle the middle but like anything walking the tightrope is not easy.

They basically gutted anything an MMO vet would want (Meaningful PvP, group content, auction house, better inventory space management, better initial crafting, etc.). But then the hardcore ES players are complaining because these MMO aspects such as open world dungeons, quests, etc. are killing their "immersion". I don't really see how you can have "immersion" in an MMO since you'll always have millions of players running around with you doing the same quests.

I think for their first game ZM did decent, but ultimately you can't please both crowds on your first time to the prom. Gotta make the decision and pick which side you want to cater too, otherwise I think the game will flounder trying to please too many masters.

We'll see what happens.
    Options
  • Knovah
    Knovah
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I dreamed it but back even before beta (on the other temp forums) they talked about mega servers and everyone was asking about it …

I maybe wrong and just imagined it but I thought for sure they said you would fill out a questionnaire and be placed in a phase with like minded players. Meaning rp players would be with mainly rp players so they would have less chance of immersion breaking names , chat , you get the picture I am painting.…you could cross over if grouped and the likes..

It has been awhile but I thought for sure that is what we were told. I remember posts about naming characters and lore breaking and all the hype …..If so what happen to that idea?

I may have dreamed it...but it seemed so real lol
    Video games ......The only legal place to kill stupid people.
    Options
  • Rapscallion74
    Rapscallion74
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I dreamed it but back even before beta (on the other temp forums) they talked about mega servers and everyone was asking about it …

I maybe wrong and just imagined it but I thought for sure they said you would fill out a questionnaire and be placed in a phase with like minded players. Meaning rp players would be with mainly rp players so they would have less chance of immersion breaking names , chat , you get the picture I am painting.…you could cross over if grouped and the likes..

It has been awhile but I thought for sure that is what we were told. I remember posts about naming characters and lore breaking and all the hype …..If so what happen to that idea?

No, they did say that, just never followed through on it.
    Options
  • Finagill
    Finagill
    I expected the game to have some bugs, balancing issues, bots, and gold spammers since these things will always exist in this type of game. What I didn't expect was a single player game pretend to be an mmo and then fail at the mmo experience. The group dynamics are a fail. If a group member is not in your line of sight you have no idea where they are or what they are doing. You also have no decent way to communicate in game while in combat. Such simple things that the dev's couldn't be bothered with. If they find the time to fix these simple things then I'll find the time to resub.
    Options
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They quickly stated that the one Tweet which referenced the survey was mistaken and should not have been released - they were thinking of implementing such a system but did not promise it. Such a system would have the same issue that all division of players ends up having - ghost towns.
    Options
  • Orizuru
    Orizuru
    ✭✭✭
    Lalai wrote: »

I attributed it to them not wanting to release numbers until it was out on all the platforms. Probably has to do with them wanting to say the highest number possible, but I guess I don't see that as some doomsday deal the predicts how fast a game will go F2P. People make the "This game will be F2P in a few months" claims with every new MMO release, and have for a few years. Rift lasted a good chunk of time before falling F2P, but at launch people were saying it'd be F2P in a few months because it was a WoW clone and all. People gave FFXIV:ARR a few months too, it's still up and going after more than six.

Yeah, this will likely go F2P at some point, as every other MMO on the market eventually will, or they'll shut down.. even WoW/UO/Eve.. just cause over time stuff tends to die out. Some games have longer runs than others. I'll still enjoy my sub while it lasts though :)

It's also possible that they are withholding information about the success of sales for the game simply because they are under no obligation to do any differently.

Given how players like to pretend they are all industry analysts and side-show fortune tellers that can predict the death of a game by it's sales during a 30-day window of time, I could hardly blame any company that keeps those sales figures private until there is actually a reason to release them.
    Options
  • Knovah
    Knovah
    ✭✭✭
    Saiden wrote: »

They quickly stated that the one Tweet which referenced the survey was mistaken and should not have been released - they were thinking of implementing such a system but did not promise it. Such a system would have the same issue that all division of players ends up having - ghost towns.

ok gotcha I knew I was not crazy....well .....

anyway

I never seen the tweet was only on the temp forums briefly before shipped out so I missed a lot after that..Thaks for info :)
    Video games ......The only legal place to kill stupid people.
    Options
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree Kerin, I think the game will follow a very similar path as swtor. I was being sarcastic when I said it was going to be great for the game, if you took me seriously.
    I am not defending the company or a fangurl (or whatever it is spelled) I simply want to know what you are basing your numbers and FACTS on? They will not release corporate numbers to public and you can only speculate at best.

Yes, it's speculation. But they do release numbers when sales are strong and there is a very small forum presence for a newly released mmo. PvP population is also small. All indicators point to a small population. It's technically still speculation, but if this sold millions like swtor, we'd know.

LOL or maybe they learnt the lesson:never brag about box sales till you at least gone through the 30 days and seen how many renew ;)
    Options
  • Willow
    Willow
    ✭✭✭
    I got the game I wanted with ESO. There is enough MMO to it to make me know there are others in the world, while also allowing me to explore and enjoy the story-line as if I am part of it, not just one of fifty zillion.
    Options
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    molishero wrote: »
    ESO was never intended to be The Elder Scrolls VI. It's an MMO based on the Elder Scrolls and nothing more. To expect it to be anything like TES in terms of gameplay mechanics is just idiotic. I will say, for Zenimax's first MMO they did an incredible job.

Just for the love of god, get rid of the spammers.

There are a couple of addons on tesoui.com that help a lot with spam
    Options
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just another MMORPG

More important, why buy the game if you didn't like gameplay in beta?curious Khajiit want too know

Apparently beta testers can post without having bought the game...
    Options
  • Lalai
    Lalai
    ✭✭✭✭

It's also possible that they are withholding information about the success of sales for the game simply because they are under no obligation to do any differently.

Given how players like to pretend they are all industry analysts and side-show fortune tellers that can predict the death of a game by it's sales during a 30-day window of time, I could hardly blame any company that keeps those sales figures private until there is actually a reason to release them.

Also a possibility. Either way I'm not worried at this point in time.
    Fisher extraordinaire!
    Templar Healer
    Daggerfall Covenant, NA
    Options
  • Altheina
    Altheina
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the Elder scrolls take step forwards, sure some of them are less tedious, but they at least added more than take away. Also, some things like crafting your own spells did get taken out, Just the price of MMO is way to high, when the MMO elements are lacking in itself.

I concur to this statement but again others may differ...
    Altheina - Wood Elf Nightblade
    TESO Fun-fact 1: It takes to kill 119,050 mudcrabs to reach level 50
    TESO Fun-fact 2: There are 61 million items in the game
    TESO Fun-fact 3: There are 40,656,000 different weapon variations in the game
    Options
  • AvdP85
    AvdP85
    Soul Shriven
    I did not read all the posts (there are way to much). But here the things I get frustrated about in the one month of play:

Leveling:
    - in less then a month (although I played a lot of hours) was going faster then any TES game. I am now level 46 in only one month.

Enemies:
    - When I was level 20 or a little higher, I still had problems with level 17. At level 40 or higher, I even beat level 48 with ease. I talk about one on one battles.
    - Some end bosses I could not defeat even being a higher level then they are, with the best armor of that level, nearing level 30. After passing level 40, I beat even the end bosses of level 45/46.

Public dungeons/caves/quests:
    - People just gather around the end boss of it and mining xp, making it less fun and challenging then doing it single handily.
    - Also if you do a quest and someone else does the same one, you have to be quick to get the elements you need, or you will have to wait till it 'spawns' again.

Bugs:
    - In one month time, I had a lot of bugs (most got fixed already). With some group dungeons/caves, the quests do not pop up for all and you are left out completing it, because you never got the quest started.
    - Some enemies are moving strange or can not be hit, with a lot of effort and luck you can hit them.
    - Delays in abilities and weapon draws, although it is a mmo, they make you near dead before you can even hit an enemy.
    - Random lags, at some points you really start to lag a lot

I could go on, but then you would get a book (and even those are boring to read in ESO). I am waiting what will happen coming month and if the new patch will fix most bugs.

It just almost feels like it has been done in a rush and that they released to game to soon.
    Options
  • rangerluna375
    I just don't see it. This game is fricken amazing.
    Options
  • Gix
    Gix
    ✭✭✭✭
    Finagill wrote: »
    I expected the game to have some bugs, balancing issues, bots, and gold spammers since these things will always exist in this type of game. What I didn't expect was a single player game pretend to be an mmo and then fail at the mmo experience. The group dynamics are a fail. If a group member is not in your line of sight you have no idea where they are or what they are doing. You also have no decent way to communicate in game while in combat. Such simple things that the dev's couldn't be bothered with. If they find the time to fix these simple things then I'll find the time to resub.
    I really want you to elaborate on these two things:
    - "If a group member is not in your line of sight you have no idea where they are or what they are doing."
    - "You also have no decent way to communicate in game while in combat."

Essentially, I'd like you to say exactly how other MMOs do differently on those fronts because I call *** on your statement. I'm not saying this because I doubt you, I've played enough different MMOs to know that you're wrong.
    Options
  • neocomab16_ESO
    neocomab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I've played the Elder Scrolls series for well over a decade. This game feels like an Elder Scrolls game to me. So obviously, I'm insane, or I value different things about the series than you do.

Of course, the issue could be that you (and most other people making this complaint) aren't actually explaining any specifics about what you're missing.

They also made an mmo and made the multiplayer parts completely unrewarding. They finally made multiplayer Elder Scrolls and the multiplayer part sucks. Anyone being objective could spot these issues a mile away and would never say it feels like other Elder Scrolls games when it's barely even in the same genre.

ESO is setup like F2P questing games and falls way short as an mmo. It also falls short as an Elder Scrolls game with it's painfully dull and generic series of solo quests.

This is your opinion It is not my opinion or any of the others who are staying subbed. Honestly, once the community is weeded out, it will be a much nicer place.

Yeah :) Once all the whiners are gone, the revenue of subs does not cover the monthly expenses and the game finally goes F2P, you will all have a nice time at the nice place called "empty Mega Server NA" and "empty Mega Server EU located in NA".

I envy you for the times to come. I really do! :wink:
    Options
  • Khandi
    Khandi
    ✭✭✭

Yeah :) Once all the whiners are gone, the revenue of subs does not cover the monthly expenses and the game finally goes F2P, you will all have a nice time at the nice place called "empty Mega Server NA" and "empty Mega Server EU located in NA".

I envy you for the times to come. I really do! :wink:

HAHA...yes once it goes F2P we can buy all the XP boosts and new mounts and costumes from the cash shop!!!

After all, they need some sort of revenue stream!

One should always be in love. That is the reason one should never marry.

~Oscar Wilde

Options
  • aegis156
    aegis156
    ✭✭
    aegis156 wrote: »
    there is no awarded contract, they bought Bethesda, they own the IP lock stock and barrel. They can do what ever they wish with it
    No, they didn't. Zenimax Media, created in 1999, owns both Zenimax Online Studios and Bethesda Game Studios (the parent of Bethesda Softworks). ZOS was created in 2007 as a separate branch to make games under, probably for risk control reasons.

ZOS has exactly as much power over Bethesda as Bethesda has over ZOS, which is to say none at all.

was your brain engaged when you typed that? Zenimax bought Bethesda, then set up ZOS to make ESO. I fail to see the point of your disagreement.
    Options