Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Templars Are so underpowered

• Drekor
    Drekor
    ✭✭
    Morlach wrote: »
    the resource cost of Templar's abilities need to be reduced by 25-30%.
    I disagree, I'd like to see a Templar ability to manage resources but simply reducing the costs would be a big no-no.

• Valravn
    Valravn
    Templars are fine, learn to play!
    At vet level it becomes more difficult and less obvious, but by no means impossible or underpowered. I would rather believe that it is extremely overpowered up to vet level, and then becomes simply good.
    Try experimenting with new skills and armor. Also, try paying more attention to the distance to target and crowd control. I learned to split/group mobs quite well using crowd control + charge, and using bonus aeo/5+range of puncturing sweep.
  • OniMalkav
    OniMalkav
    Volcanic rune blows enemies all over the place which means that Biting Jabs doesn't hit half of them (unless you are fighting them at small area).

Sun Shield prevents Magic Regen.

Spell cost is through the roof.

Honor of the Dead mana recovery doesn't stack and is far too slow.

No active mana regen.

No root so all ranged run the hell away from you.

No good PBAoE (Radial Sweep has *** radius and Solar Barrage is meh).

Biting Jabs has a channel time during which you can't use other skills or Block.

Nova is expensive as hell.

Spear Shards doen't get boosted in PvP (no range increase)

Rune Focus area is way too freaking small

Please do help me fill out if I missed anything.. Oh and this is coming from VR10 Gimplar (90% solo play, no grind). Sure against single target that isn't Immune to CC Biting Jabs spam works but thats about it, but then again bosses that aren't immune to CC can be slammed by any class.
  • sommazzatoreb14_ESO
    Valravn wrote: »
    Templars are fine, learn to play!
    At vet level it becomes more difficult and less obvious, but by no means impossible or underpowered. I would rather believe that it is extremely overpowered up to vet level, and then becomes simply good.
    Try experimenting with new skills and armor. Also, try paying more attention to the distance to target and crowd control. I learned to split/group mobs quite well using crowd control + charge, and using bonus aeo/5+range of puncturing sweep.

GENIUS, NO ONE ELSE CAME UP QITH THAT AND IT WAS STARING US RIGHT IN THE FACE. HOW COULD WE NOT KNOW WE WERE BAD...?!

I am starting to get annoyed reading moronic comments like this, I won't lie.
    EP
    Khale Justice - V14 Breton Templar (Rank 17)
    Sommozzatore - V14 Imperial Nightblade (Rank 16)
    Sommazzatore - 46 Wood Elf Sorc (Rank 6)
    Nazeem Ula'q - 35 Dark Elf DK (Rank 3)
    100 CPS
  • loechasteb16_ESO
    loechasteb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    at v1 its difficult but what i heard from my friend he was crying when he was coming to v5 from there on he only could lvl up in a group. and another guy of our guild (DK v4) had no problems at all. i have a v1 templar and i don't have real fun to playing it im more the DK type i think ( i love fire :dizzy_face: )
  • Halrloprillalar
    Halrloprillalar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see templars do fine in VR1-2. I'm sure some skills could use tweaks (for all classes) but hey, the game is a month old.
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    templars problem is the magicka management wich has been nerfed into the ground with the last beta patches.
    every thing else is ok but nothing to cheer for - but magicka management is horrible or better none existant.
    channeled focus is laughable 5! magica per tic while you have to stay within a 1,5m radius circle. the small area to stand in should justify sth like 60points+ per tic to be comparable to dark exchange or siphoning attacks.
    Edited by Tankqull on May 1, 2014 9:07PM
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• per.t.pettersenb16_ESO
    Maybe it's becouse you are trying to build like a Paladin, tank or heavy melee?
    Build him like a mage and you will have the best healer and a a decent dps.
    Light armour, restoration staff/destruction staff and all the magic regen you can get.(or even bow)
    Destruction staff skills have great dps and if you mix templar+restoration staff, you have a better healer than a sorcerer with resto staff (the ultimate is great).
    Edited by per.t.pettersenb16_ESO on May 2, 2014 12:29AM
  • Some_Jerk
    Some_Jerk
    ✭✭✭
    I have to weigh in here. templar is my main, was fine up to vr levels, at which i realized even fighting two monsters could get me killed.
    I am a stamina player, stats are 39 health 10 stam, 5 medium armour 2 heavy and this is a recent switch from 5 light 2 medium.
    Hilarious seeing the blinding light comments- i started using it and I kinda love it - possible that it is terrible but I use it to keep my opponents stunned and it works pretty well (they get dazed from it and I use heavy attacks to KD, coupled with 10% medium armour attack speed and weighted weapon trait makes heavy attacks a lot quicker). although I'm sure there's a better spell, I feel that blinding light increases my survivability quite a bit, and it would be good if it wasn't so damn expensive on the magicka end - i think it should be half of what it costs at most.
    Healing myself is the biggest problem I face in VR content: I always need to use breath of life in combat because it's insta but it sucks SO MUCH MAGICKA and gives me so little HP back. I am ALWAYS out of magicka. I feel templar has really no efficient way to heal itself compared to nightblade (the only other class i've played).

Templar basically needs
    -better way to self-heal
    -reduced magicka costs for almost all spells

That being said i've enjoyed great success as a healer with light armour, despite being OOM more often than not. But I feel that light armour healer is the only role I have been able to excel at so far and this isn't the case from what i can see with the other classes.
  • Nidwin
    Nidwin
    ✭✭✭
    Pre vet sucks too. The only reason peeps are saying it doesn't it's because you'll started leveling yours while there were tons of other players around . Go solo those end bosses (Quest or open Dungeons) and come back here.

In Eastermach I can't solo Mammoth's and it was a pain in the arse to solo 1 freaking Troll.

Of course I also understand why.
    1. Because I'm also supposed to heal, sorry but that's why I rolled a Templar, to become a main healer in RvR for my guild, I've to split skills, time and so on between dps/cc skills and healing skills.
    2. Templars have nada burst and poor cc's. Such a pain when a healing NPC shows up.
    3. Our damage is sustained, no burst, but with our Magika issue this sucks balls.

Laugh at me all you want but I still have my 3 pieces of Warlock (ring, pendant and cowl) slotted and till further notice those 3 level 14-16 pieces aren't going to be replaced by anything else anytime soon.

On the bright side, we're the best healers and by far. Nothing gets even close to Templar healing, but it's such a pain soloing.

edit.
    Ouch spelling, typos and grammar
    Edited by Nidwin on May 2, 2014 12:36PM
    Nidwinqq Templar (healzzz) United Warhammer Vets
    Nidwinqq RR100 Magus till the end, R.I.P. Badlands
  • merwanoreb17_ESO
    I am only level 45, so I can't say anything about how it is in the veteran levels. But so far it has been ok to play as a Templar, I can't even imagine playing without some of the skills. Especially the ability to heal without a stupid resto staff.
  • sommazzatoreb14_ESO
    Nidwin wrote: »
    Pre vet sucks too. The only reason peeps are saying it doesn't it's because you'll started leveling yours while there were tons of other players around . Go solo those end bosses (Quest or open Dungeons) and come back here." quote]

Actually I agree completely.
    Edited by sommazzatoreb14_ESO on May 3, 2014 5:00AM
    EP
    100 CPS
  • Drekor
    Drekor
    ✭✭
    Pre vet sucks too. The only reason peeps are saying it doesn't it's because you'll started leveling yours while there were tons of other players around . Go solo those end bosses (Quest or open Dungeons) and come back here.

In Eastermach I can't solo Mammoth's and it was a pain in the arse to solo 1 freaking Troll.
    I can solo world bosses in vet levels. If you want to solo nearly anything here's what you need:

Resto staff (important for regen)
    Eclipse (makes any caster trivial)
    Binding Javelin (Makes any melee trivial)
    Rushed Ceremony/BoL/HtD (needed for CC immune mob)

You can face tank mammoth's regular attacks (avoid the big ones obviously). Quit blaming the class for your own issues.

• Kegero
    Kegero
    ✭✭
    Drekor wrote: »

I can solo world bosses in vet levels. If you want to solo nearly anything here's what you need:

You can face tank mammoth's regular attacks (avoid the big ones obviously). Quit blaming the class for your own issues.

And how are you managing 3 normal VR 5 Skeletons equipped with two handed weapons?
    Or basically any 3 mobs at VR 5?
    Edited by Kegero on May 3, 2014 3:26PM
  • Gaudrath
    Gaudrath
    ✭✭✭
    And how are you managing 3 normal VR 5 Skeletons equipped with two handed weapons?

Well, let's see. You could use a bow for example. Open up with a sneak Snipe attack - you do have other weapons trained up besides your class abilities, yes - so, open up with a sneak snipe, let loose another snipe as the first one is flying, you'll hit with both and the skellie will be allmost dead or really dead. Kill as needed. Javelin the second, while you shoot the third. When it gets to close range, shoot it in the face with the scatter shot. Immediately Javelin the second one who just got up. Heavy attack the third while he's reeling from the scatter shot, immediately follow up with another scatter shot. Javelin the second one again. Chain stunning ftw. Repeat until all enemies are destroyed. If you're good, they won't even land one hit on you. And I didn't even use anything else except heavy/normal attacks and CC.

Templars are incredibly fun to play because they don't have faceroll abilities. You have to employ tactics, switch targets and usually you can't just mash buttons until stuff dies. But you are by no means underpowered. It's just a different playstyle.
  • Dubah
    Dubah
    ✭✭✭
    Lahan wrote: »
    Templars are the worst class in the game. They are only good for healing.

All their skills are absolute trash when it comes to scaling damage wise after VR1.

Sun Shield is gutter trash because damage bubbles are gutter trash in this game.

Focus Rune is trash because you have to stand in that tiny circle to get the buff, in a game where you are forced to move around and dodge red zones.

Blinding Light is the lamest skill in game.

Backlash sounds wonderful on paper, until you learn that the maximum damage you can do with it is 933 with 1.5s cast time and 7+ second charge time.

All their damage spells have high mana cost and low damage.

This must be your first MMO. I can out dps most people who even try, my AE numbers end up somewhere around 1.2k dps and my sinbgle target is easily 300-500 dps. I wear light armor and my main spec isn't even DPS. I actually play a healer for the most part and in most veteran dungeons hardly even use the templar heals cause the resto staff heals are good enough. Templars are by far not the worst class in game, but good try. and you listed what 4 maybe 5 out our 15 skills? Backlash is amazing and i use the crap out of it when i do dps. Sun Shield is amazing for tanks ive seen it used and when used properly is an amazing skill, almost every templar tank uses Focus rune and has no issues with its small range, and yes blinding light does kinda suck and serves almost no purpose. Got anything else? Go learn how to play a templar and then you can talk trash, if you can't figure out templar then you just need to choose a different MMO
  • Drekor
    Drekor
    ✭✭
    Drekor wrote: »

Impulse... just like everyone else really.

I combine it with volcanic rune to hold mobs together. I did up a quick video... couldn't be bothered to find 3 VR5 Skeletons but I assume 5 VR10 mobs will do? I normally use devouring swarm but for the video I used empowering sweep since I realize not everyone is a vamp.

http://youtu.be/9DXLJUL1zgc

• steven.flemingub17_ESO

I combine it with volcanic rune to hold mobs together. I did up a quick video... couldn't be bothered to find 3 VR5 Skeletons but I assume 5 VR10 mobs will do? I normally use devouring swarm but for the video I used empowering sweep since I realize not everyone is a vamp.

That looks like a very fun aoe build and something I was trying to work toward on my new templar (only 32 atm). I've been losing hope though while leveling as it just seems I never have enough majikca and downtime is very long between fights. I finally got impulse but even spamming it the mobs just don't seem to die fast enough and I am always out of majicka at the end of the fight, or close to being dead from too many hits. Would you mind terribly posting which skills you have slotted (including morphs), and what your armor balance is?
  • Drekor
    Drekor
    ✭✭

That looks like a very fun aoe build and something I was trying to work toward on my new templar (only 32 atm). I've been losing hope though while leveling as it just seems I never have enough majikca and downtime is very long between fights. I finally got impulse but even spamming it the mobs just don't seem to die fast enough and I am always out of majicka at the end of the fight, or close to being dead from too many hits. Would you mind terribly posting which skills you have slotted (including morphs), and what your armor balance is?

http://esohead.com/calculator/skills#moczevk9cW9M8hMZD8A4wg808ffkr8A4hI8b0p18bzpM8rHLg8ffqC8frrK85MN7rrDm6LDi8L7J68j7xLUa8n7DLWU6LWQ6LWZ8e7HraqS6Mi4b48O7ordeF6rdeD8Z7zznrJs8zf7zzNbo8zu7zzHfYE6zHfZd8zG7zzHQ3F8zI7zzJIoX6zJIkL8zN7zzJZcY8zA7zzKpUN8zL7zzK4EX

Should give you the info you need on the skills. You really want to make sure you have destruction expert passive it's big for keeping your magicka up. Pick up a warlock set once you hit VR1 as well.

Repentance is also huge for reducing downtime as after any big pull it'll shoot your HP and stam back to full so you really only need to worry about magicka regen and with the way destruction expert works the more mobs you are AoE'ing at once the better.

I do strongly recommend getting vampire though, devouring swarm with stage 4 is up every fight and will take off half of mobs HP on it's own for no magicka cost.
  • timur.dosrwb17_ESO
    Yeah... If you die as a Templar in VR content, then you're doing something wrong.

I was in Vile Manse yesterday (VR5 public dungeon, 6 mobs pulls, bosses, you know the drill). A Templar was destroying stuff. I saw a boss and ran to kill it, only to have this templar just jump on the boss and annihilate him. I barely managed to land a couple of hits to get credit.

Also, google for templar aoe farm builds videos, watch them pulling 15+ VR10 mobs and destroying them. Cheap 75 ultimate+aoe skills destroy the pulls and Repentance give them infinite resources. The only problem they have is not enough big pulls around.
  • sommazzatoreb14_ESO
    [
    [/quote]

Or basically any 3 mobs at VR 5?[/quote]

[/quote]

No templar skills employed except the ult and the leech lol
    EP
    100 CPS
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No templar skills employed except the ult and the leech lol
    and?
    beside DKs no class uses more than 1 class ability on a reliable aoe build for pve...

spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• Sidereal
    Sidereal
    ✭✭✭
    EP Templar here. I rock 5 Heavy with 2 Light on an Imperial with The Tower for my boon--9/40/0. I devour all in my path.

"THE DPS IS BAD!!!1"

^ Whoa, easy there cowboy--take it down a notch. Breathe. If you're running around in 7/7 Light Armor with a Destro staff expecting to nail 1k DPS infinitely, you've been barking up the wrong tree. I will explain.

I'm in the Heavy Armor skill line for the mitigation while enjoying fringe benefits from the Light Armor line. Magicka regen is moot, as I use food to boost both Magicka and Stamina while keeping a steady supply of Mag/Stam/Health or Spell Pwr/Spell Crit/Magicka pots running depending on the situation. As it stands I'm sitting on top of 1800+/2000+(2500+ PvP)/1800+ with glyphs.

Most PvE (and PvP) engagements for me revolve around high levels of sustainability interspersed with CC and average DPS. For PvE I'll likely pack Honor The Dead, Shielded Assault, Extended Ritual, Puncturing Sweep, and either Purifying Light/Unstable Core/Restoring Focus depending on the situation. To be honest all I need to do is Shielded Assault > P Sweeps and then a shield bash or two on anything hanging around in a group of three. If it gets rough, spam Shielded Assault on the largest threat to keep him down while P Sweeping the group (focus the last hit of P Sweep on the next largest threat to lock it in P Sweep's knock back). Anything that even looks like it's going to use a staff/single target spell gets the bubble (U Core). Honor The Dead and Ritual are there in case I need them. P Light is a fine addition for mini bosses/big bosses, and Restoring Focus further enables me to the be the unstoppable mountain I was born to be.

For PvP I'm sure you could get away with the same first four above, but I swap Ritual for U Core and keep Immovable in the fifth slot. S Assault > P Sweep > S Bash is your standard damage load out while popping Immovable and Honor The Dead when necessary. Switch to Bow and you're going to sack DPS and durability for that oh so luscious range. HTD, P Light, Venom Arrow, Binding Javelin, and Immovable/U Core/Vampire's Bane are your friends. P Light > V Arrow and V Bane will provide a reasonable amount of damage while B Jav will get people off of you and HTD heals. But can you Dual Wield? Yes you can. My DW load out looks almost identical to my 1HS load out except that I am rocking Toppling Charge instead of Shielded Assault and I've swapped Immovable for Blood Craze. Losing that almighty immunity can be scary, but if I'm not target #1 I'm going to be constantly switching between Blood Craze and P Sweep in order to refresh the DoT and take advantage of that juicy little heal on B Craze.

Haven't even mentioned all of the ridiculous combos that come from the Dawn's Wrath skill line. Also, we're gods of healing and support. Throw that store brand Resto Staff in the garbage.

Conclusion:
    Your greatest strength as a Templar will always come from your ability to outlast your foes. There is wiggle room for other fun ideas like I mentioned above (Bow and DW), but if you can't take multiple hits then you are doing it wrong. 1k DPS may seem amazing, but if you can't last for more than two seconds it's trash.
  • Alestair
    Alestair
    ✭✭
    I don't know how anyone else plays their templar... I Die Quicker than you can say Shhhh! but am i underpowered? No.. Im ment for one thing, Light armor....Resto staff.... Healing build in one hotbar...DPS Other hotbar... now here is the tricky part...My DPS Build is mostly Degeneration,Siphon spirit, Volcanic Rune ,Biting Jabs and one Heal and my ulty is meteor.. My build in PVE Is to mostly Single Target damage but I cast Degeneration on more than 1 mob and then I SPAM Volcanic rune, and guess what? I DO prettty dang fine.... Im not the typical "Paladin" Type of templar.. Im more of a Cleric type class than anything else. Granted I could probably solo PVE Better if I threw out biting jabs and replaced with either Solar barrage or Reflective light but either way i still do fine.. WE are not underpowered nor are we Overpowered. We are just right...Now as for PVP, my build is ment to be in a gank group, or a large siege...Although if its a 1v1.... I Throw out biting jabs for Javelin for the Knockdown while casting Volcanic rune then Degeneration then Siphon spirit. Granted i could be killed by then, depends on what they are going to use, and the distance they are from me, but all in all.. I mostly win 1v1's and im just a freakin Magey Class..
  • Sidereal
    Sidereal
    ✭✭✭
    "Drekor wrote:

Now that looks cool. I'll have to give a shot--nice upload.
    Edited by Sidereal on May 4, 2014 3:50PM
  • Chryos
    Chryos
    ✭✭✭✭
    My vampyre NB is underpowered too. O_o
    If I am going to quote someone, it's going to be me.
  • Travail
    Travail
    ✭✭✭
    That video displays the power of the Destro Staff Impulse spam build, but doesn't really show anything related to the Templar class. The only activated ability from a Templar skill line is being used outside of combat; a convenience tool to restore your health for the next pull. That's no more powerful than keeping a Resto Staff equipped in your second slot for healing between pulls. Actually, it's probably less powerful. Casting Regeneration on yourself would likely carry over into the next pull because of its long duration, and opening your pull with Siphon Spirit would assist with magicka regen, which the Templar lacks. It might even be worth your while to pre-buff with Combat Prayer if you're killing pulls in 8 seconds or less, on average.

The point is, none of this has anything to do with the Templar class. I could show you a powerful bow spec, but that wouldn't really say anything about the class using it. I could make a great video about cleaning up in Coldharbour using Evil Hunter, but that's not very relevant to the topic at hand.

Templars have issues. The biggest issue, I feel, is that we need some active magicka regen. That's not the only problem with the class, but it's the most easily identifiable and agreed upon issue at the moment. The developers over-nerfed our magicka resource management during the late stages of beta, and some of that functionality should be returned to us.

-Travail.
    www.obsidianbrotherhood.com
  • Sidereal
    Sidereal
    ✭✭✭
    Travail wrote: »
    That video displays the power of the Destro Staff Impulse spam build, but doesn't really show anything related to the Templar class. The only activated ability from a Templar skill line is being used outside of combat; a convenience tool to restore your health for the next pull. That's no more powerful than keeping a Resto Staff equipped in your second slot for healing between pulls. Actually, it's probably less powerful. Casting Regeneration on yourself would likely carry over into the next pull because of its long duration, and opening your pull with Siphon Spirit would assist with magicka regen, which the Templar lacks. It might even be worth your while to pre-buff with Combat Prayer if you're killing pulls in 8 seconds or less, on average.

The point is, none of this has anything to do with the Templar class. I could show you a powerful bow spec, but that wouldn't really say anything about the class using it. I could make a great video about cleaning up in Coldharbour using Evil Hunter, but that's not very relevant to the topic at hand.

Templars have issues. The biggest issue, I feel, is that we need some active magicka regen. That's not the only problem with the class, but it's the most easily identifiable and agreed upon issue at the moment. The developers over-nerfed our magicka resource management during the late stages of beta, and some of that functionality should be returned to us.

-Travail.

I'll have to disagree with you man. You manage your Magicka, you embrace the challenge. Any increase in Magicka regen would slide the difficulty from normal to very easy. And if you tell me that I'm one of the only Templars disagreeing with you then I'll insist that I'm one of the only good Templars in ESO atm.
    Edited by Sidereal on May 4, 2014 4:12PM
  • Dubah
    Dubah
    ✭✭✭

-Travail.

I don't know what you are doing wrong, but i sustain magicka without the use of pots and can keep going like the energizer bunny. Every once in a blue moon i mess up and get merc'd but thats only cause i dont pay attention to my health sometimes. Magicka and Magicka Regen has not been an issue whether AE'ing for a dungeon or just solo, and i have no problems. Now healing i posted my healing build which is very magicka heavy and can run out of magicka just by using a heal 5 or 6 times but still magicka regen has not stopped me from doing anything. Whatever you are doing you need to think about your spec. I don't even use a fire staff for pulsar. TBH i dont like the way it plays out. But i can guarantee you all my damage skills are straight templar and people complain about the CC, I have absolutely no problems.

I use light armor and can do the same kill that the person who posted the video can. It's not about the templar its about the way you play. Same goes for NB people think they are underpowered. You are out of your minds, learn to play your class then complain til then this is enough said
  • Drekor
    Drekor
    ✭✭

That's kind of the point everyone does things the same and doesn't rely on class skills. We each use slightly different utilities. Templars have repentance, NB's have siphoning, Sorcs have critical surge and DKs have battle roar. All the damage is going to come from your weapon skills (impulse or bash) for regular PvE. If you are using something else atm you are just slowing yourself down.

-Travail.
    We are the only class that doesn't have a way to manage magicka built into our class but then on the other hand nobody comes anywhere close to touching our healing power while we still maintain the durability and damage of other classes.