Maintenance for the week of July 8:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance - July 8
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 9, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Templars Are so underpowered

sommazzatoreb14_ESO
My self and a few friends have made Templar. We enjoyed these character up until level 50. Since then we are having a hard time soloing any trash mobs, I personally have to dodge 3 man trash mobs or I'll get killed.

A.) the heals are useless compared to the Resto staff tree. B.) Skills like Puncturing strikes sucks considering you unlock it at level 1 and everyone uses it all the way through V10 spamming the crap out of it. Basically, the Templar doesn't progress at all. Blinding Light? What a joke, Dual Wield line has a better skill that is similar as a fourth tier. All this to say, this is a terrible class that needs to be remolded. My Veteran Rank 4 Templar is going to sit on the shelf until this is fixed. I feel like ZOS went for too much freedom combined with too much structure in the wrong way and wound up with the cons of both worlds. I love this game and will just have to reroll another char I guess, but this is really disappointing. If any of you have suggestions plz pm me, I'd love to hear them
Edited by sommazzatoreb14_ESO on April 24, 2014 1:15PM
EP
Khale Justice - V14 Breton Templar (Rank 17)
Sommozzatore - V14 Imperial Nightblade (Rank 16)
Sommazzatore - 46 Wood Elf Sorc (Rank 6)
Nazeem Ula'q - 35 Dark Elf DK (Rank 3)
100 CPS
  • AKSb16_ESO2
    AKSb16_ESO2
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, funny. xD
    If Templar is underpowered, what is Nightblade then with all the buggy skills?
    Options
  • ShadowWolf613
    ShadowWolf613
    ✭✭✭
    if your templar is under powered your playing wrong. :P
    Options
  • rdfarley89
    rdfarley89
    ✭✭✭
    My templar is fine...
    Options
  • sommazzatoreb14_ESO
    What level is it?

And my Blinding light won't let me put a skill into it and it says I don't have apoint in it as well and thats the case with a lot of people so to say the NB is only one with buggy skills idk what you're tlaking about
    Edited by sommazzatoreb14_ESO on April 24, 2014 1:14PM
    EP
    100 CPS
    Options
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Please compare to thread "Templars the God mode class"
    Templar The God Mode Class
    Edited by AlexDougherty on April 24, 2014 3:11PM
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
    Options
  • sommazzatoreb14_ESO
    No link...?
    EP
    100 CPS
    Options
  • ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanted to luv them because the spear skill line is a blast but yea.... tedious, underpowered leveling sums up the templar imo.
    Want to become Vampire? 5k @ZiRM in game.
    ESO Server Status. ( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ ) SkåL!!!!!
    Options
  • knaveofengland
    knaveofengland
    ✭✭✭
    oh my have to put weapons on your toon or like me for the challenge take the weapons off , and punch them to death
    Options
  • JoseDelgadoCub17_ESO
    JoseDelgadoCub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Templars have more burst then the other class and have sustain that can't be mitigated by other players
    Options
  • Branbran
    Branbran
    ✭✭
    No link...?

Yea, I wouldn't bother. I read that entire "God Mode" thread and the OP pretty much started it out of ignorance. Most likely got killed by a Templar in PvP and went on a rant. Didn't even know the name of the skill he was complaining about and pretty much confused the whole Aedric Spear line for one active ability.

Edit: added quote
    Edited by Branbran on April 24, 2014 2:38PM
    Winter-Time
    by Robert Louis Stevenson
    Late lies the wintry sun a-bed,
    A frosty, fiery sleepy-head;
    Blinks but an hour or two; and then,
    A blood-red orange, sets again.

Before the stars have left the skies,
    At morning in the dark I rise;
    And shivering in my nakedness,
    By the cold candle, bathe and dress.

Close by the jolly fire I sit
    To warm my frozen bones a bit;
    Or with a reindeer-sled, explore
    The colder countries round the door.

When to go out, my nurse doth wrap
    Me in my comforter and cap;
    The cold wind burns my face, and blows
    Its frosty pepper up my nose.

Black are my steps on silver sod;
    Thick blows my frosty breath abroad;
    And tree and house, and hill and lake,
    Are frosted like a wedding cake.
    Options
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No link...?
    Sorry, have now inserted link, Templar the God Mode Class
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
    Options
  • sommazzatoreb14_ESO
    Yea the dude who wrote Templar God Mode Class is clueless and nerd raging.

I recreated a DK DarkElf and as a level 16 I beat that boss (his name is Meryil-somethiing) in the Ebonheart pact. Thats a boss I couldn't beat as a level 21 Templar. Also, the whole 3 shot fire ball thingy (actually called reflective light) only wokrs at a distance b/c the spell needs time to spread) also, Puncturing Strikes doesn't hardly scale at all. It does less than 400 damage each use to trash mobs, even less to most players of equal level. You run outta mana too fast and can't cast anything else the whole time (I'm a breton with maxed mana regen and 20 points in it and everything has a magicka enchant on it, trust my, I've done everything I can to make this work lol).
    EP
    100 CPS
    Options
  • Aaren
    Aaren
    @sommazzatoreb14_ESO‌
    I'm finding mana regen a lot less useful than reduced mana cost, personally. Biting Jabs does great aoe damage, but it is mana intensive. That (and AoE CC) is definitely our weakness. We have to spend more stat points on mana to keep up damage. That's a give and take though. We are definitely not horribly underpowered.
    I know the boss you are talking about, though I am AD so did him at VR3. He is a tough fight for any class (solo anyway). Our mana regen definitely hurts us on that. Biting jabs isn't as good a solo sustained damage. We do have other tools. Personally, bow and kiting was the trick for me.

EDIT: In reference to your first post, I do think blinding light is a bit underwhelming.
    Edited by Aaren on April 24, 2014 3:56PM
    Options
  • cj.linkb14_ESO
    cj.linkb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I don't see how you guys think Templars are underpowered. I have some amazing burst damage on mine with still plenty of survivability. For me, leveling a templar has been quite enjoyable.
    Options
  • davidetombab16_ESO
    davidetombab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I m not sure Templar is a god mode class but I m sure that the dk and sorcerer dominate in PvP .
    Options
  • Obscure
    Obscure
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is how I grade the classes:
    Dragonknight: A+
    Sorcerer: A
    Templar: B+
    Nightblade: D-

Templar is not an easy class to figure out and there are a whole lot more wrong ways to build them then right ways. But when someone gets it right it's really a thing if beauty. Personally I've just started leveling an alt Templar and already I'm seeing quite a few ways to get trapped in a bad build. It actually feels like to build properly I need to pick one skill and build everything else around using it optimally. Not having a whole lot of counters, and no armor boosting active abilities, is certainly going to take some getting used to, but the things I've seen in the past are reassuring that I'll end up with a solid build.

Simply put be specific when building your Templar, there's some really good stuff I'm seeing. It could always be worse, you could have rolled a Nightblade.
    Options
  • Cheveyo
    Cheveyo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Obscure wrote: »

Templar is not an easy class to figure out and there are a whole lot more wrong ways to build them then right ways. But when someone gets it right it's really a thing if beauty. Personally I've just started leveling an alt Templar and already I'm seeing quite a few ways to get trapped in a bad build. It actually feels like to build properly I need to pick one skill and build everything else around using it optimally. Not having a whole lot of counters, and no armor boosting active abilities, is certainly going to take some getting used to, but the things I've seen in the past are reassuring that I'll end up with a solid build.

Simply put be specific when building your Templar, there's some really good stuff I'm seeing. It could always be worse, you could have rolled a Nightblade.

Are you building using a calculator or are you experiencing actual content with the classes?

Templars are fine from 1-50, but when you start doing the VR content, you just get destroyed.
    Edited by Cheveyo on April 24, 2014 9:39PM
    Options
  • Lenthas
    Lenthas
    I don't see how you guys think Templars are underpowered. I have some amazing burst damage on mine with still plenty of survivability. For me, leveling a templar has been quite enjoyable.

Thats the thing, no one is arguing that their burst isn't good, its quite amazing, and thats the sole reason why people say LEVELING as a templar is fairly easy, and I agree, throw a bow in and any cc-able boss is a breeze as well.

Problems apparently arise at late level when the fights take longer and the magicka needed isn't being replenished fast enough no matter what you do, that complete trash of restoring spirit nerf hit too hard.

Templars just have huge mana problems, even if you ignore your class signature, support healing, you will still run into mana issues, you are forced to take them from other tree's, but that is still not enough.
    Options
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well , mine is lvl 47 , so i cant talk about vet ranks , but until now i never felt UP.

Granted , my DK feels like a king near my templar , but i get this feeling they will hit the DKs with the nerf hammer soon , to be honest , i get the feeling they will rebalance pretty much everything soon.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
    Options
  • visionlyricsub17_ESO

It could always be worse, you could have rolled a Nightblade.

Serious question here this is regarding pve right? Because NB rocks in pvp ROCKS!!!!!! Templar class does well all around in pvp and pve. I play a NB and my buddy is a templar healer. We mostly pvp but we also have no issues in the vet dungeons so far. He's a great healer so I'd have to advise the OP to recheck his build that's where the issue most likely is (or skill level as the VR content finally provides a small challenge).

Options
  • sommazzatoreb14_ESO

It could always be worse, you could have rolled a Nightblade.

Serious question here this is regarding pve right? Because NB rocks in pvp ROCKS!!!!!! Templar class does well all around in pvp and pve. I play a NB and my buddy is a templar healer. We mostly pvp but we also have no issues in the vet dungeons so far. He's a great healer so I'd have to advise the OP to recheck his build that's where the issue most likely is (or skill level as the VR content finally provides a small challenge).

Yea, He does well because he has you there doing the damage and hes just supporting.

And to everyone who keeps talking about leveling, I said it was alright as templar to level him, but once you hit Veteran Ranks, trust me, you will shelf him real quick unless you have a people to play with,

EP
    100 CPS
    Options
  • sommazzatoreb14_ESO
    Aaren wrote: »
    @sommazzatoreb14_ESO‌
    I'm finding mana regen a lot less useful than reduced mana cost, personally. Biting Jabs does great aoe damage, but it is mana intensive. That (and AoE CC) is definitely our weakness. We have to spend more stat points on mana to keep up damage. That's a give and take though. We are definitely not horribly underpowered.
    I know the boss you are talking about, though I am AD so did him at VR3. He is a tough fight for any class (solo anyway). Our mana regen definitely hurts us on that. Biting jabs isn't as good a solo sustained damage. We do have other tools. Personally, bow and kiting was the trick for me.

EDIT: In reference to your first post, I do think blinding light is a bit underwhelming.

Idk man, as a DK he was super easy I thought, I'ma experiment with a couple of class/race combos and figure it out soon lol
    EP
    100 CPS
    Options
  • Obscure
    Obscure
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Cheveyo
    A bit of both. A typical scientific approach really. I'm guiding my build process with a hypothetical build via ESOhead. Through actually unlocking and using it as I obtain the required skills, I'm judging whether or not that hypothesis is or is not correct for the tested options of the build. I only just started last night and his level is so low it's not worth mentioning (and that I presently don't recall. Maybe 5? Or was it 7? Bah! Stupid memory!). We'll see how it goes.

@visionlyricsub17_ESO
    Mostly due to PvE but also large-scale PvP. NB is fine for bridge/gate/quest hub ganking single targets that don't see it coming. But there's a big problem that emerges when the class is confronted with more than one target, and one would presume a player would build to overcome the AoE deficiency, but I've never seen it done nor put in the time to do it myself. I've seen a build concept or two thrown around for AoE NB spec's just never seen one in action.

Thus the reason for my grading. Where a NB can solo a player before he gets to safety in a resource camp, a Dragonknight can just solo the camp. Where the NB can gank one person, a Dragonknight can gank a 4 man party...I've done both...and both are immensely satisfying, lol.
    Options
  • rlconeb14_ESO
    rlconeb14_ESO
    ✭✭
    My self and a few friends have made Templar. We enjoyed these character up until level 50. Since then we are having a hard time soloing any trash mobs, I personally have to dodge 3 man trash mobs or I'll get killed.

A.) the heals are useless compared to the Resto staff tree. B.) Skills like Puncturing strikes sucks considering you unlock it at level 1 and everyone uses it all the way through V10 spamming the crap out of it. Basically, the Templar doesn't progress at all. Blinding Light? What a joke, Dual Wield line has a better skill that is similar as a fourth tier. All this to say, this is a terrible class that needs to be remolded. My Veteran Rank 4 Templar is going to sit on the shelf until this is fixed. I feel like ZOS went for too much freedom combined with too much structure in the wrong way and wound up with the cons of both worlds. I love this game and will just have to reroll another char I guess, but this is really disappointing. If any of you have suggestions plz pm me, I'd love to hear them

Options
  • rlconeb14_ESO
    rlconeb14_ESO
    ✭✭
    Templar is one of the easiest (not only) classes that can play all three major roles well even swapping mid fight to save the day in some instances. In dungeons I generally end up having to trash tank everything while beating on the boss as a dps. Soloing bosses well the only time I've gotten into trouble is when I miss a block, interrupt or dodge/move out the way. However, don't expect to be top st dps either being that we can swap roles so easily in a group.

As for abilities try biting jabs over puncturing, used properly at low health it can be a devastating ability while still have decent aoe radius, especially with burning light fully unlocked. Spamming biting jabs before low health is just a waste of magicka. Reflective light, I generally have no problems with it splitting correctly (however like all classes currently abilities do bug at times) and it is also a very nice abil both pve and pvp. Proper weapon use and utilizing both stamina and magicka can wield plenty of dps. Healing well I do like some of the restoration staff heals better but if your going dps you have two heals almost practically free. (repentance not the best I will admit as it bugs quite frequently but decent for taking out large amounts of trash)

The main problems I see on temp is the lack off cc, easily solved though using guild lines, for one example volcanic runes. Another issue is abilities not working properly which is something that every class I have played faces currently. Last but my least favorite, the buffs that we have if playing heal or support are pretty much useless with the low soft and hard caps. However, I do agree with you completely on blinding light and the post mentioning the god mode Templar being nothing more than a rant.
    Options
  • sommazzatoreb14_ESO
    Templar is one of the easiest (not only) classes that can play all three major roles well even swapping mid fight to save the day in some instances. In dungeons I generally end up having to trash tank everything while beating on the boss as a dps. Soloing bosses well the only time I've gotten into trouble is when I miss a block, interrupt or dodge/move out the way. However, don't expect to be top st dps either being that we can swap roles so easily in a group.

As for abilities try biting jabs over puncturing, used properly at low health it can be a devastating ability while still have decent aoe radius, especially with burning light fully unlocked. Spamming biting jabs before low health is just a waste of magicka. Reflective light, I generally have no problems with it splitting correctly (however like all classes currently abilities do bug at times) and it is also a very nice abil both pve and pvp. Proper weapon use and utilizing both stamina and magicka can wield plenty of dps. Healing well I do like some of the restoration staff heals better but if your going dps you have two heals almost practically free. (repentance not the best I will admit as it bugs quite frequently but decent for taking out large amounts of trash)

The main problems I see on temp is the lack off cc, easily solved though using guild lines, for one example volcanic runes. Another issue is abilities not working properly which is something that every class I have played faces currently. Last but my least favorite, the buffs that we have if playing heal or support are pretty much useless with the low soft and hard caps. However, I do agree with you completely on blinding light and the post mentioning the god mode Templar being nothing more than a rant.

Thanks but I'm a Veteran Four and Have tried every combo/bar setup/Weapon/Armor Enchants with all the above and nothing gets me able to pve solo at all. A lot of you guys are talking about lower levels, and yes, you are right. At low levels you do great. Wait till you get to the Alki'r Desert or Rivenspire lol. Just trust me.

(Btw you are right about biting jabs, thats the morphed version I use too. I thought Puncturig Strikes was the non-morphed, my bad).
    EP
    100 CPS
    Options
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wait till you get to the Alki'r Desert or Rivenspire lol. Just trust me.
    Are you talking about VR Rivenspire and Alikr? Because I totally blew threw content in both zones easily in the regular version with my templar tank.

Edited by Koensol on April 25, 2014 7:11AM
    Options
  • Mjoel
    Mjoel
    ✭✭
    I have a VR10 Templar... full tank/dualswords build just get some lifereg and you are fine im not using this sunthing build i never did and i still reached vr10 it was a hard way but when you evade some attacks and cancle enemys magic you can do it VR content needs skill it needs much skill when you are playing a templar

i think the templar needs a buff... but not with his dps skill he needs better tank skills the tank skills need a buff thats all i choosed a templar because i wanted to tank

and fix this stupid throwing spear/archer build i see much ppl around using this shooting enemys away shoot them with bow and over and over again until they are dead... (most time its used on bosses i saw templars in vr content soloing worldbosses with this)
    Edited by Mjoel on April 25, 2014 7:26AM
    Options
  • sommazzatoreb14_ESO
    Koensol wrote: »
    Wait till you get to the Alki'r Desert or Rivenspire lol. Just trust me.
    Are you talking about VR Rivenspire and Alikr? Because I totally blew threw content in both zones easily in the regular version with my templar tank.

Yes I am, I'm in the Ebonheart pact.
    EP
    100 CPS
    Options
  • Lahan
    Lahan
    Templars are the worst class in the game. They are only good for healing.

All their skills are absolute trash when it comes to scaling damage wise after VR1.

Sun Shield is gutter trash because damage bubbles are gutter trash in this game.

Focus Rune is trash because you have to stand in that tiny circle to get the buff, in a game where you are forced to move around and dodge red zones.

Blinding Light is the lamest skill in game.

Backlash sounds wonderful on paper, until you learn that the maximum damage you can do with it is 933 with 1.5s cast time and 7+ second charge time.

All their damage spells have high mana cost and low damage.
    Options