Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[Spoilers] What did you do at the end of the Mages Guild quest line?

• Anvos
    Anvos
    ✭✭✭
    I released someone from Daedric influence.
    Getting one over on a deadric prince trumped two skill points, plus when you have the idiocy to blab your secret plan right before the choice then that has to be punished.
  • Pseudolo
    Pseudolo
    ✭✭✭
    I hoped they would show their gratitude in a more meaningful way :(
  • Pallmor
    Pallmor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I struck a Daedric bargin for personal gain.
    If you talk to Valeste before you make the decision, she has a moment of clarity that muddies the water a bit on the moral decision (she really sounds like she is sick of this world and really wants to go with Sheo). Either way, I had been warned by players on the board to take the book a long time ago. 2 skills points vs. some crappy vendor trash staff. It's a shame the reward isn't more balanced.
  • Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've taken four alts through this quest. I've chosen door #1 on two occasions, and door #2 on the other two.

The extra skill point just doesn't matter. There are plenty of them to go around. What you need more than just skill points (which you can repurpose anyway through a respec) is leveled skills that open up abilities and passives. That's what the leveling game is all about.

There's no shortcut for those babies. Sure, you can grind, if you're into deep, enervating boredom. I'm not knocking it; given a tasty circuit of mobs, I've been known to ride the merry-go-round, but I can only stand it for so long...

BTW, everyone gets the memory thing. And it's not 2 extra skill points, it's 1 (Sheogorath gives you 2 at once, but you get nothing but the Shalidor set item at quest completion). If you don't take the "bargain" you get nothing from Uncle Shali-walli, but you do get a skill point when you turn in the quest.
  • Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallmor wrote: »
    If you talk to Valeste before you make the decision, she has a moment of clarity that muddies the water a bit on the moral decision (she really sounds like she is sick of this world and really wants to go with Sheo). Either way, I had been warned by players on the board to take the book a long time ago. 2 skills points vs. some crappy vendor trash staff. It's a shame the reward isn't more balanced.

No purple staff is trash, especially if you consider the price of Turpin Mastic. If you don't make staves, sell it to someone who does. It's also an 8-attribute set piece with a rather tasty 5-piece bonus. Perhaps not to your liking, but not trash.

edit: corrected improvement mat.
    Edited by Srugzal on October 27, 2014 12:52AM
  • TheVindelator
    TheVindelator
    ✭✭✭
    I did what any sensible vampire would do. Fools.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Virtual people are worth more than virtual material goods.
  • brandon
    brandon
    ✭✭✭✭
    I chose to save Valaste (i had difficulty picking not because i wanted skill points, but because i couldn't figure out what felt like the nicest thing to do was). I always try to choose the choices i think i would make in those situations. I may have missed out on better rewards, but i'm currently in the vet zones and still have 12 unused skill points, so having an extra 6 or whatever it is doesn't bug me at all.

Another thing i want to say is that i feel like what choices you make in a game (doing something for personal gain or being nice and anything in between) reflect on who you are as a person.
    Edited by brandon on November 17, 2014 7:58AM
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have tried making all the "bad" choices on my main.
  • Aodra
    Aodra
    ✭✭
    I saved her. I don't fully trust any deal given by a Daedra, especially Sheo. He's just clever enough to screw you over while sticking to said 'bargain'. He's like a monkey's paw.

Had no idea of the skill point & it probably wouldn't have swayed me anyhow.
  • BurtFreeman
    BurtFreeman
    ✭✭✭
    It is some thing to think about that saving a friend do not pay.
    where are we going? i'd like to play good karma character, like the fallout skill, but here, in eso seems that it doesn't considered at all.
    this time with the new sorc i will choose 2 skill pint as a reward.
    i'm wandering if i'm going to miss some thing, but reading around seems not.

i'd really like to have a GOOD KARMA SKILL LINE with the proper passives and some penalities.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Those 2 skill points are meaningless in the long run. I'm sitting on a pile of unused points.

I'm not a fan of a dual morality meter, it makes moral choices feel so gamey. We actually had a discussion what is best for Valaste; if the devs said "this choice good, this choice bad" it wouldn't leave much for personal interpretation.
  • elias.stormneb18_ESO
    There are no ''Good'' of ''Bad'' decisions in this game, it's all a matter of personal interpretation. A ''GOOD KARMA SKILL LINE'' as you put it would ruin the game for a lot of people, including mysef. The abilitly to choose what is ''Good'' and ''Bad'' yourself has always been a huge part of the Elder Scrolls franchise and it is one of the things that have made The Elder Scrolls so popular.
    Edited by elias.stormneb18_ESO on June 7, 2015 10:10AM
  • sadownik
    sadownik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are so little of the quests that are giving you a good/evil choice that OP porposition is useless. Its all good/good-ish
  • AdamBourke
    AdamBourke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I chose to "save" Valaste because I thought it was best for her. I didn't know what either of the rewards would be - and I figured that they would be equal in value.

It took me a while to decide what was best for her though.

Even though I know the reward isn't as good for saving her - I would do the same again next time!
    PS4 - EU

Please put the Eyevea/EarthForge wayshrines back on the map?
  • Squishs
    Squishs
    ✭✭
    There are no ''Good'' of ''Bad'' decisions in this game, it's all a matter of personal interpretation. A ''GOOD KARMA SKILL LINE'' as you put it would ruin the game for a lot of people, including mysef. The abilitly to choose what is ''Good'' and ''Bad'' yourself has always been a huge part of the Elder Scrolls franchise and it is one of the things that have made The Elder Scrolls so popular.

Not stealing and murdering people would be a good start.

Give us a Guardsmen skill tree so we can clobber crooks round the noggins'!
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Who is to say she wont be happier with Sheo? To me I was doing her a favor.
  • BurtFreeman
    BurtFreeman
    ✭✭✭
    Who is to say she wont be happier with Sheo? To me I was doing her a favor.

well, she become crazy, looking for butterfly and stay with a crazy mage will not a life i will like my friend leve.
    say that, is just a game, but the way i role play, don't let me have the proper dimension of rpg.
    the elder scrolls and fallout too, always had a good and bad karma philosophy, that in role playing menas effect and conseguences. you always got a kind of buff make your choice on those games. in eso i don't see anymore any rewards to play a good character; this is a pitty.

Edited by BurtFreeman on June 20, 2015 5:07PM
  • Storm_knight22
    Storm_knight22
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't count Valaste out yet. Someday spellcrafting will be added and I think she should have a roll in it. Perhaps granting you a pre-made spell tablet or two as a proper thank you.....
    I want spell crafting.
  • Saddiq
    Saddiq
    ✭✭✭
    It's true that the ES universe is not about good vs bad choices at all (and thankfully the devs know that and haven't mucked around with it). I still feel awful years later for framing the veteran in Oblivion and giving him a cursed hammer to doom his soul for eternity after he lived a moral life. Not to mention framing two families living in harmony in a village and having them kill each other off.

But, that was the only way to complete that story line, so I did it.

Since I still feel bad years later, I've adopted my ES play-style to 'pretend' there's an achievement for turning down an achievement or quest that turns you into a rat ***, psychopathic murderer, or other variations. Not a GTA guy myself.

That keeps the ES universe in its appropriately morally ambiguous universe--a fantastically built one--but lets me sleep at night too. Yes, I'm a wimp.
  • Hawco10
    Hawco10
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have just finished that very quest. Literally, about 15 mins ago. I have no clue what this memory spell thing is supposed to do and after reading about 2 skill points...
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hawco10 wrote: »
    I have just finished that very quest. Literally, about 15 mins ago. I have no clue what this memory spell thing is supposed to do and after reading about 2 skill points...
    @Hawco10 The memory spell lets you re-read any book you have picked up before, and not just the ones considered "Lorebooks" but any of the yellow ones or bookshelf ones as well. It is completely unrelated to the 2 skill points.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • brocal
    brocal
    Soul Shriven
    It is some thing to think about that saving a friend do not pay.
    where are we going? i'd like to play good karma character, like the fallout skill, but here, in eso seems that it doesn't considered at all.
    this time with the new sorc i will choose 2 skill pint as a reward.
    i'm wandering if i'm going to miss some thing, but reading around seems not.

i'd really like to have a GOOD KARMA SKILL LINE with the proper passives and some penalities.

Tommy Wiseau, is that you?
  • BurtFreeman
    BurtFreeman
    ✭✭✭
    brocal wrote: »
    Tommy Wiseau, is that you?

Macchiavelli: the ends justify the means!

be popular, be nice :)
  • KraziJoe
    KraziJoe
    ✭✭✭
    I fixed her, mainly because it wasn't her fault she became afflicted. If she willingly chose to read the books, knowing she may go crazy, I would have left her alone. But that is just me.
  • Pyro117
    Pyro117
    ✭✭
    KraziJoe wrote: »
    I fixed her, mainly because it wasn't her fault she became afflicted. If she willingly chose to read the books, knowing she may go crazy, I would have left her alone. But that is just me.

^ this
  • whyB
    whyB
    ✭✭✭
    IKilled007 wrote: »
    Sent her packing. I warned her several times that she seemed tired and needed rest and wasn't herself and she kept shushing me and telling me she was fine, etc. She became an invalid when I needed her most: at the end to face Sheogorath's bald-headed clown sidekick. Now that she was a liability rather than an asset, and given that her brain had been microwaved, I traded her for the skill points. Let that be a lesson: don't crap out on me when I finally need you, after I've done all the leg work and wet work for you up to that point.

This made me laugh.

I chose to save her. Even with 2 SP, I'm glad that I chose to save her. For the Queen!

Also, on reddit, this was my favorite comment regarding this topic:

"If you are a good person, the choice isn't hard at all.

Only bad people would even consider it an option to sacrifice another person for monetary gains.

THAT is the real moral decision in this quest, not if you want to sacrifice a person but what would you make consider doing so.

It is like the old joke.

Man to woman: Would you sleep with me for a million bucks? Woman: Sure! Man: Would you sleep for me for 10 bucks? Woman: No way, what kinda woman do you think I am. Man: We already established what kind you are, now we are just haggling over price."
  • Tessie
    Tessie
    ✭✭✭
    Saved her. I won't let someone be lost in Oblivion, not even for two skill points.

"Sorry mom, but its 2 skill points."
  • xRAGEx
    xRAGEx
    ✭✭
    My character is a evil skeleton