The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Who did you sacrifice? (SPOILER)

• reb101
    reb101
    ✭✭
    Varen Auilarios
    I chose Varen. It seemed to be a sound choice. He was the one that started it all after all.
    reb101
    PS4 - Ebonheart Pack - NA
  • Hibbou
    Hibbou
    ✭✭✭
    Varen Auilarios
    not sure if I voted correctly, don t remember the names, but the old guy :)
    what is pissing me off, is that I accidentally *********************************************************************************************************************************************************************SPOIL******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

saved manimarco
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varen Auilarios
    Hibbou wrote: »
    not sure if I voted correctly, don t remember the names, but the old guy :)
    what is pissing me off, is that I accidentally *********************************************************************************************************************************************************************SPOIL******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

saved manimarco
    Don't worry about that, he would have managed to escape soon enough anyway. It's another 800 years or so before you can actually kill him.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Vipstaakki
    Vipstaakki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lyris Titanborn
    I decided to sacrifice Lyris. She just seems most amiable to the idea of death.

+ Now she gets to eat drink with her parents in Sovngarde! ;)
    Edited by Vipstaakki on July 27, 2016 7:45AM
  • guul
    guul
    ✭✭✭
    Varen Auilarios
    Varen, that old man isn't needed anymore.
  • Tai-Chi
    Tai-Chi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eccentric wrote: »
    The huge manwoman, the old fart, or the black guy.

Varen Auilarios of course!

1. He was one of the main protagonists in the current state of affairs, albeit with hindsight now remorseful and trying to put things right. One could conclude even then that he is self serving to an extent.
    2. Lyris and Sai were both puppets in his game and deserved some love and happiness - especially after what they endured on Varen's behalf.
    3. Alive or dead, he had the knowledge, means and possibly the ability to pop up again when needed, or rise from the dead. Who knows what those Moth Priests taught him.

Last but not least, it really got up my nose the arrogant and condescending way in which he addressed me as;

"A degenerate or imperfectly developed organ or structure that has little or no utility, but that in an earlier stage of the individual or in preceding evolutionary forms of the organism performed a useful function". Look up the biological definition of 'Vestige'.

PC - EU (Main) & PC - NA
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varen Auilarios
    Tai-Chi wrote: »
    Last but not least, it really got up my nose the arrogant and condescending way in which he addressed me as;

"A degenerate or imperfectly developed organ or structure that has little or no utility, but that in an earlier stage of the individual or in preceding evolutionary forms of the organism performed a useful function". Look up the biological definition of 'Vestige'.
    Technically accurate though. You are an imperfect, soulless copy of your original (pre-murdered) self; ie, a remnant of something that was fully functional but now no longer exists.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lyris Titanborn
    lyris, she was hot, but screw that :smiley:
  • Master_Fluff
    Master_Fluff
    ✭✭✭✭
    The two most recent sacrifices has been the aquarius guy. Can't beat that band aid stick at CP 160. Just improve to gold quality and slap an irresistable damage enchantment on it. That saves plenty sanded rubedo for something else. >:)
    Halcyon Black
  • carljokl
    carljokl
    ✭✭✭
    Varen Auilarios
    Varen seems to make the most sense and that statistics seem to bear that out. My reasons are much the same as above.
    1) He his old and not having a great quality of life.
    2) The plain meld is largely his fault and it seems like cleaning up his mess.
    3) Knowing if he lives, he only does so to disappear and fade into history. Seems like metaphorically he dies anyway.
    4) It seems like Lyris and Sai love each other and may have a future that gives them something to live for.
    5) Demographically the other two are a choice between a woman and person of colour which could seem unfortunate to reduce the number of those.

It feels like the game steers you towards this choice while giving you the option to do otherwise.
    My Characters

Xargothius: Breton - JOAT / Magsorc | Orchid the Fair: Orismer - Crafter / Heavy Tank | Voneri Vox: Dunmer - Magplar Healer | Rexorgiana: Imperial - Temptress / Magblade
    Phirkius: Altmer - MagSorc | Rexorigus: Imperial - Med Tank / StamKnight | Sven Svedishchef: Nord - Provisioner / Stamplar | Finds-All-Fungi: Argonian - Alchemist/ Stamblade
    Emerald-Wild-Guard: Bosmer - Wyrd / StamSorc | Nates Datum Festi: Imperial - Light Tank / StamKnight | Magnolia Desert-Blossom: Redguard - 2 Handed Stamplar | Shadow-Softpaw: Khajiit - StamBlade
    Sorcerer | Dragon Knight | Templar | Night Blade
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varen Auilarios
    carljokl wrote: »
    It feels like the game steers you towards this choice while giving you the option to do otherwise.
    Yeah, I would agree with you on that one. There are numerous pokes and prods (some of them subtle, some of them considerably not so), that direct you towards Varen being the "correct" or "intended" choice.
  • ThaLastProdigy
    Varen Auilarios
    *Spoiler Alert*

You see Varen again when you beat The Orsinium Story...which means he is not truly dead.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    From a purely game play point of view, I'd sacrifice Varen, his staff is the best weapon choice. especially now that you can wait until you're level 50 160+cp to do the quest. Also wait on the last fighter's guild quest until you're level 50. Both the prismatic bow and Varen's staff are pretty nice at level 50 160cp at gold quality.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • nyxnox
    nyxnox
    ✭✭
    Varen Auilarios
    Varen....how long did he lie to me about who he really is???
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varen Auilarios
    *Spoiler Alert*

You see Varen again when you beat The Orsinium Story...which means he is not truly dead.

It doesn't mean that at all. How many quests are there in ESO that have you talking to ghosts? They're all truly dead. And for that matter, so are you, Vestige.
  • Ghettokid
    Ghettokid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varen Auilarios
    Varen cause other two were Orcs.
    And damn I like Orcs, so I wont kill em.
  • Lord_Draevan
    Lord_Draevan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varen Auilarios
    It would have been hilarious if you could free Mannimarco in that mission, then use him as the sacrifice instead of one of the 3 other Companions :lol:
    I'm a man of few words. Any questions?
    NA/PC server
  • Vipstaakki
    Vipstaakki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lyris Titanborn
    Varen appears in Orsinium whether you decided to sacrifice or not. He tells you that he has traveled to the edge of the world and this is the last time he is going to speak to you before going becoming a part of the Aetherius.

He won't talk about his death if you didn't sacrifice him but instead he tells you how he is old and weary and how his time is coming to an end.
    Edited by Vipstaakki on August 14, 2016 2:26PM
  • Tai-Chi
    Tai-Chi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    *Spoiler Alert*

It doesn't mean that at all. How many quests are there in ESO that have you talking to ghosts? They're all truly dead. And for that matter, so are you, Vestige.

Are they all "truly dead"? Or, are they simply entities living in another dimension?

According to Meridia, the Hero (Vestige) is only nearly dead and just beginning life after regaining one's soul. Varen will live on in the Hero's mind. The Ancients were far more knowledgeable about different dimensions and worlds than we are today. Some scientists of today have only recently accepted that the conscious mind, imagination and thoughts are real. They are energy that is tangible. The essence (for want of a better word) of a person lives on.

Please remind me; are the semi-translucent people, that the Hero encounters, ever referred to as "Ghosts"?
    PC - EU (Main) & PC - NA
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lyris Titanborn
    she was so *** hot but anyway i sacrificed her, she was hot :smiley:
  • Saoirse_Siobhan
    Saoirse_Siobhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varen Auilarios
    Striken7 wrote: »
    Varen

He's lived his life.
    reb101 wrote: »
    I chose Varen. It seemed to be a sound choice. He was the one that started it all after all.

Yep, pretty much. But I do like the guy so I'll spare him on an Alt, see what happens. I don't think I could bring myself to sacrifice Sai though. Sorry Lyris, looks like your up next!
    PC/EU DC
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varen Auilarios
    *Spoiler Alert*

Are they all "truly dead"? Or, are they simply entities living in another dimension?

According to Meridia, the Hero (Vestige) is only nearly dead and just beginning life after regaining one's soul. Varen will live on in the Hero's mind. The Ancients were far more knowledgeable about different dimensions and worlds than we are today. Some scientists of today have only recently accepted that the conscious mind, imagination and thoughts are real. They are energy that is tangible. The essence (for want of a better word) of a person lives on.

Please remind me; are the semi-translucent people, that the Hero encounters, ever referred to as "Ghosts"?
    Yeah, they are, most obviously the ones in Westtry, as the associated quest is called The Ghosts of Westtry. Ghosts of Glenumbra also indicates that other translucent NPCs are considered Ghosts, specifically referencing the ones at Glenumbra Moors and Cath Bedraud. That book also specifically states what ghosts are: Ghosts are the spirits of people who were once alive as you or I. When they died, they refused to leave.

Besides, Varen directly agrees with you that he's dead, and he says he's moving on to Aetherius. Like all ghosts, his spirit remained on Nirn while there was still something tying him to it, but as soon as that reason for remaining is gone, they move on. (A good example of this in previous games is the Forlorn Watchman in Oblivion; his spirit remained on Nirn until you released it by freeing his body from its shackles in a shipwreck.)
  • Tai-Chi
    Tai-Chi
    ✭✭✭✭
    *Spoiler Alert*

Yeah, they are, most obviously the ones in Westtry, as the associated quest is called The Ghosts of Westtry. Ghosts of Glenumbra also indicates that other translucent NPCs are considered Ghosts, specifically referencing the ones at Glenumbra Moors and Cath Bedraud. That book also specifically states what ghosts are: Ghosts are the spirits of people who were once alive as you or I. When they died, they refused to leave.

Besides, Varen directly agrees with you that he's dead, and he says he's moving on to Aetherius. Like all ghosts, his spirit remained on Nirn while there was still something tying him to it, but as soon as that reason for remaining is gone, they move on. (A good example of this in previous games is the Forlorn Watchman in Oblivion; his spirit remained on Nirn until you released it by freeing his body from its shackles in a shipwreck.)

Thank's for the reminder. :)

Ref: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Ghosts_of_Glenumbra, makes it clear that Ghosts are not synonimous with other forms of undead or dead and that they are tied somehow to Nirn. They are responsible for hauntings and cannot move on until those ties have been broken.

Varen is not tied to Nirn because he has departed for Aetherius - the source of magicka and realm of dimensions such as Sovngarde - and therefore he is not a Ghost. The Vestige (and for that matter, the Hero of other Elder Scroll games) has travelled between Nirn and say Sovngarde. The Vestige is not dead, which indicates that travel between the two realms/dimensions is possible under certain circumstances. Varen was not killed in the classical sense; he is not tied to Nirn. I contend that he is not dead. He has been transposed, 'moved on' to another place, another dimension and time - or even a state of timelessness. He is alive but not in the sense as we know it or in the sense of Nirn's human inhabitants.

N.B. I agree with you regarding the Forlorn Watchman being a Ghost.

PC - EU (Main) & PC - NA
  • Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sai Sahan
    Sai Sahan. But now I regret my choice. I broke a young, loving couple apart. I'm a SadLiebs. I should've sacrificed the old guy instead.
    Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |
    Sits-On-Cacti(DC) - Problem?
    Fail-With-Tail(AD) - Healing Springs-spammer :<
    Tiny Liebs(EP) - Very Tiny. Also heals.
    Lieblingsmädchen(DC) - Magplar is love.
    The Dominàtrix(AD) - Chains, whip, whip, whip.
    Fluffy Furball Kitten(DC) - Kittycat, meow.
    Your Face(EP) - People make bad jokes about my name =(
    Liebs-With-Trees(AD) - Male argo with a big tail :>

Officer/Sandwitch of Zerg Squad
    My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varen Auilarios
    *Spoiler Alert*

Thank's for the reminder. :)

Ref: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Ghosts_of_Glenumbra, makes it clear that Ghosts are not synonimous with other forms of undead or dead and that they are tied somehow to Nirn. They are responsible for hauntings and cannot move on until those ties have been broken.

Varen is not tied to Nirn because he has departed for Aetherius - the source of magicka and realm of dimensions such as Sovngarde - and therefore he is not a Ghost. The Vestige (and for that matter, the Hero of other Elder Scroll games) has travelled between Nirn and say Sovngarde. The Vestige is not dead, which indicates that travel between the two realms/dimensions is possible under certain circumstances. Varen was not killed in the classical sense; he is not tied to Nirn. I contend that he is not dead. He has been transposed, 'moved on' to another place, another dimension and time - or even a state of timelessness. He is alive but not in the sense as we know it or in the sense of Nirn's human inhabitants.

N.B. I agree with you regarding the Forlorn Watchman being a Ghost.

Yeah, when you're used in a mythical ritual it's hard to determine whether you 'die' as a result of that or not. Varen only departed for Aetherius after delivering his final warning to you though, so it's possible that was what was keeping him tied to Nirn. I'm not sure if it's similar or not, but during the Mages Guild line, Shalidor is pulled back from Aetherius, and we probably wouldn't consider him a ghost even though he is most certainly 'dead' beforehand.

The Vestige is also a bit of a special case, considering they are most certainly killed at the beginning of the game. It's only because of Molag Bal's creation of Soul Shriven that the Vestige has a body again after being killed, and only because of the Skyshard that they were able to return to Nirn 'alive'.
  • DaMastodon
    Varen Auilarios
    The only one I even liked was Sai. The hard choice was picking which one I liked least! Still wish I could've nuked Tharn though.
  • KimberlyannKitsuragi
    If I could sacrifice Abnur, I would in a heartbeat. The whole time he's existed, I've wanted to shove my blade of woe where the sun don't shine
    Feel free to add me. I'm part of the Gummy Guars PC/Mac NA server. Master crafter and working on getting 9 traits on everything
  • imredneckson
    imredneckson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varen Auilarios
    Meri20098 wrote: »
    If I could sacrifice Abnur, I would in a heartbeat. The whole time he's existed, I've wanted to shove my blade of woe where the sun don't shine

Who wouldn't want to sacrifice Tharn xD
    Legions of Mordor Guild Officer
    Member of the GvG Community

Dunmer NB - Merser Frey (DC)
    Dunmer DK - Akaviri Battlereeve (DC)- http://orig05.deviantart.net/7ecd/f/2016/013/b/f/you_***_kill_by_eso_picture-d9nrz0q.png
    Imperial Templar - Knight of the Blood Oath (DC)-
    http://orig00.deviantart.net/5ba3/f/2016/115/a/0/jesus_beam_ftw____by_eso_picture-da09ecj.png
    High Elf Templar - Aurí-El (AD)
    High Elf Templar - Teutonic Honor Guard (EP)
  • Marrtha
    Marrtha
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sai Sahan
    So many people hating on Varen, makes my heart hurt. He did try his best to fix what he had caused. And I would also like to add;

Technically accurate though. You are an imperfect, soulless copy of your original (pre-murdered) self; ie, a remnant of something that was fully functional but now no longer exists.

We in the end got our soul back, it seemed to be our quest from the start. But we also freed so many souls that all became a part of us. I see it as quite symbolic.
    Use @Marrtha when replying!
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varen Auilarios
    Marrtha wrote: »
    So many people hating on Varen, makes my heart hurt. He did try his best to fix what he had caused. And I would also like to add;

We in the end got our soul back, it seemed to be our quest from the start. But we also freed so many souls that all became a part of us. I see it as quite symbolic.
    Right, and the very last time you see Varen, he acknowledges that Vestige is no longer an appropriate title, which is also quite symbolic.
This discussion has been closed.