Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Respec Gold cost elimination/reduction

• Drekor
    Drekor
    ✭✭
    Only issue I have is if I morph a skill one way realize it's awful and want to use the other morph I have to redo EVERYTHING and that's annoying. I'd rather pay 1000g a point to remove morphs than 15000g to respec everything at 100g a point.

Getting gold isn't that hard where I am so spending 15k isn't really an issue but it's a hassle to have to redo everything.
  • Exarch
    Exarch
    ✭✭✭
    Here it comes, next stop dual-spec.
  • Seer
    Seer
    ✭✭
    If this game want to have any appeal to the more progression focused community they need to make respec relatively cheap and something that players can do multiple times a day. Because progression focused players like to test things out. We will see what they decide to do in time but this price puts a severe barrier in the path of experimenting.
  • Soul_of_Wrath
    Soul_of_Wrath
    ✭✭
    As most of us know by now, refunding your skill and attributes in game costs a arm and a leg. At level 37, I gave up over half my character's gold just so I could play with a different build, isn't that ridiculous? Before media always told us that we could just pick up any weapon in the game and use it. Now as I have played, I know this is not true. It costs 100g per skill or attribute point you want refunded. By the time I wanted to respec, it cost me almost 12000g!

This is ridiculous. As the developers have promised, we should be able to use any weapon, and any class skill at any time without punishment. This is punishment. Now you may say, "well you can just pick up any weapon and use it, you don't need skills to actually use it." Well in reality, no you can't. Using a weapon with out some skills out of its skill line will prove to be impossible because you cant kill anything without some kind of skills. You can do some damage, but it would never be enough without the skills, you would just die horribly over and over again. You also might say, "well people would just respec so they would be able to craft everything, or use a hireling skill to get unlimited mats." This is also true, but you can restrict the respec ability in different and less punishing ways. Put a 24 hour cap or longer on the respec, not straight up punish the player by taking almost all of his gold!

I should be able to say,"well I am getting sick of this destruction staff and I want to switch to one hand and shield." And you should be able to based on what the developers have fed us through their media! This respec cost crap is insanely expensive, and should be changed.

Please be active on this post so we can get this changed.

Agree. People like options and I don't see any valid reason for restrictions like this. Gold sink? The game just started there shouldn't be a need for gold sinks yet. Heck, if they were concerned about the economy they would do something about the gold sellers or not do something foolish like let people use mounts at level one and then make them cost 17 to 40 thousand gold - talk about setting up a perfect storm of temptation for fools to take a risk and buy gold.
  • Anoteros
    Anoteros
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chelo wrote: »
    @tommipalup16 Its not just about mistakenly distributing skill points, i should be able to change my role around at any time and use whatever weapon i want effectively, and it will not be effective if I do not have skill points to send. And im sorry i highly doubt that there are enough skill points in the game to get every passive,crafting, and skill effects that I want.
    Man, as I said the first time, you can do that in a single player RPG but that's GAMEBREAKING for an MMO and that's the reason why is never going to happend in this particular game...
    lol gamebreaking to want to respec?
    wait...what?
    The system absolutly punishes/makes it impossible to tinker around with your build, what is devestating in such a skill-system.
    If you not careful you can really wreck a char to the state of fubar because you are suddenly too weak to continue and too broke to respecc again.
    On the other hand, now that i am lvl 50 for a while i wish i would have deleted my char with lvl 40 and restarted. Until lvl 50 the game was fun at least.

Pretty much this. The way respeccing works and costs now has me seriously reconsidering rolling a DK or Templar simply because of how busted NB's are at the moment...
    Edited by Anoteros on April 14, 2014 6:28AM
  • Sirmati
    Sirmati
    I have 50 level need to re-spec 3 morphs... Cost 11k. And u know what?? Im fine with that. Srlsly who want re-spec character at 37 level !? Because u see some one in pvp/pve who was smarter than you ?? And you fell u broken your character ?? Come on... Find your own way to play this game...

Cost re-spec is fully fine to me. Teach me to play a different ways From tank/dps to fire mage (DK). I get lot of fun to try figure out the best combo these three trees. W/o respect i find way to use even these 3 "broken" morphs with success (Im in top 50 in my PvP).
  • BalanceGaming
    BalanceGaming
    ✭✭
    @Sirmati‌ I want to respec my character at level 37 not because my character is "broken", I want to respec because I have almost 2 days of gameplay with the same build and skills and it is already starting to get boring and repetitive. I want to try new things without having to sink hours into a new character, or having to spend the amount of gold on a respec
  • ahampelb14_ESO
    they just need to add one free respec at around level 20. by then you should have a good idea what you're trying to do. then people can fix any mistakes they made
  • cazlonb16_ESO
    cazlonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chelo wrote: »
    @tommipalup16 Its not just about mistakenly distributing skill points, i should be able to change my role around at any time and use whatever weapon i want effectively, and it will not be effective if I do not have skill points to send. And im sorry i highly doubt that there are enough skill points in the game to get every passive,crafting, and skill effects that I want.
    Man, as I said the first time, you can do that in a single player RPG but that's GAMEBREAKING for an MMO and that's the reason why is never going to happend in this particular game...

In The Secret World you can switch between full tank/full healer/full dps and everything in between with the push of a button actually and while that game was an unmitigated disaster on many levels, that wasn't one of them. In fact it worked out a lot better than group/mass PvE in Guild Wars 2 for example.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't have an issue with respecs being expensive. I think it is good that players need to make smart decisions about where to put their points, and not just grab every skill and every passive in each tree.

What I am NOT OKAY with is that many of the skills in this game are broken, and many of the tooltips are WRONG, poorly phrased, or just plain lack any kind of necessary information regarding what they do. I should not have to pay 15k gold to respec out of a broken ability or broken passive.

On top of that, there needs to be some kind of system to allow single abilities to be un-morphed. I had to pay 14900 gold yesterday to change the morph on ONE skill(its a good skill and yes the morph is important), to me thats just bogus.
  • fantom
    fantom
    Disagree.

Gold sinks are very important in MMOs and you will NEVER be able to add new ones to the game later on, player base would riot.

The cost to respec isn't that bad, you really shouldn't need to do it more than once or twice, there are 300 skill points in this game. You *definitely* don't need to respec before hitting 50, the content isn't hard.

I just paid 13000g for a respec at 50 and I think it was a fair cost. I moved a bunch of points around to get ready for VR content and the cost makes sense.

Having a strong barrier to flip flopping your character around on a whim means that any decision you make carries more weight. It means that your character is more distinct and stands out. I don't want TESO to turn into WoW, where everyone of a certain class has literally no distinguishing features between them because you can swap between any ability or spec you want for negligible cost.

• BalanceGaming
    BalanceGaming
    ✭✭
    @fantom But the thing is that this game already has enough gold sinks. The repair costs are insanely high and you have to do them very often. horses are also a very expensive endeavor. There are better ways to have gold sinks in a game, and this is not a good way to take gold out of the game. Wanting to change around my character's build to spice up the game play should be a given, not making me spend half my gold or sinking hours of time into a new character. Also, eventually you will have people build the best character in game, and people will follow. Its a given, it will happen, it happens in almost every mmo. Making your character unique is completely up to the player, a respec will not change that.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    fantom wrote: »
    Disagree.

Gold sinks are very important in MMOs and you will NEVER be able to add new ones to the game later on, player base would riot.

The cost to respec isn't that bad, you really shouldn't need to do it more than once or twice, there are 300 skill points in this game. You *definitely* don't need to respec before hitting 50, the content isn't hard.

I just paid 13000g for a respec at 50 and I think it was a fair cost. I moved a bunch of points around to get ready for VR content and the cost makes sense.

Having a strong barrier to flip flopping your character around on a whim means that any decision you make carries more weight. It means that your character is more distinct and stands out. I don't want TESO to turn into WoW, where everyone of a certain class has literally no distinguishing features between them because you can swap between any ability or spec you want for negligible cost.

None of this addresses the issue of morphs, or broken abilities, or tooltips being very deceiving, or the general lack of information on the tooltips.

Gold sinks are great, making decisions about your characters build and path is great.

Having to pay 15k+ gold because you want to change a morph on one or two skills, or want to undo a certain skill because it plain sucks or is bugged... That is BS.

• Crescent
    Crescent
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some classes are also forced to respec.

For example, sorcerers need to buy that useless pet just to get Daedric Curse to level up their daedric summoning line. And that pet IS useless. Just, utterly, completely useless crap AI with no damage or good pathing.
  • BalanceGaming
    BalanceGaming
    ✭✭
    @Crescent exactly, good point. I never thought of it that way. Its a real waste of skill points.
  • Anoteros
    Anoteros
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crescent wrote: »
    Some classes are also forced to respec.

For example, sorcerers need to buy that useless pet just to get Daedric Curse to level up their daedric summoning line. And that pet IS useless. Just, utterly, completely useless crap AI with no damage or good pathing.
    THIS!
  • Zeaks
    Zeaks
    I found it confusing trying to figure out exactly how I wanted to spec as did my girlfriend and other people I know. There should be a free respecs given up to a certain level.

It would be nice if there was some way to test new builds too. Like an area with dummy NPCs, you could play around with builds, once you figure out what you like, have the option to purchase it.

I screwed up on one morph I didn't want, ended up costing me thousands of gold, that's not cool.
  • sump
    sump
    Soul Shriven
    Until level 50, you should just enjoy the game, proceed thru with a build good enough to kill off the bosses in your main quest line, but experiment, so you learn how everything works - try out new skills, combos, try to spend points into world magic, etc... Find few good guilds and make friends :)
    Once you hit lvl 50, you can afford spending like 15k-17k gold for respec into your new build (either your own, made out of experiences from experimenting, or copy any build on the net).. And 17k with a lvl 50 is not so much like on a lvl 30-40..
    My opinion.
  • Epo
    Epo
    ✭✭✭
    sump wrote: »
    Once you hit lvl 50, you can afford spending like 15k-17k gold for respec into your new build (either your own, made out of experiences from experimenting, or copy any build on the net).. And 17k with a lvl 50 is not so much like on a lvl 30-40..
    My opinion.

A Quest in V1 gives 150 Gold and a full repair costs 2k gold. How should i get 15k gold without grinding?

Please Please reduce the cost of respecc, the situation is b-u-l-l-s-h-i-t
    Edited by Epo on April 15, 2014 6:46AM
  • Drekor
    Drekor
    ✭✭
    Epo wrote: »
    sump wrote: »
    My opinion.

A Quest in V1 gives 150 Gold and a full repair costs 2k gold. How should i get 15k gold without grinding?

Please Please reduce the cost of respecc, the situation is b-u-l-l-s-h-i-t
    Sell stuff?

I tend to get 10-15k gold per hour just questing by vendoring everything some of this stuff I got will sell for several thousand gold(instead of the 100 I vendor them for).

• Epo
    Epo
    ✭✭✭
    10-15k per hour? lol what a joke....

VR1 Equip and Weapons have a average Price 60G. And YOU get 250 of this in one hour? omg....
    Edited by Epo on April 15, 2014 8:38AM
  • merfpmerfinton
    merfpmerfinton
    ✭✭✭
    The biggest problem I have with this 100g per skill point is that it actually makes getting skyshards at an early level a bad thing.
    I've stopped collecting them because each one just tacks on another 100g.

• BalanceGaming
    BalanceGaming
    ✭✭
    Alright, I'm talking about being able to change you spec at lower levels, so we know what we like to play, not just when we hit veteran ranks. I am now level 42 and I have hit 50 in almost every skill line i am using in combat now (destro staff, light armor, restro staff, class lines) and I really want to change up my weapons so Im not just wasting valuable experience. I should not be punished for wanting to do this, and I have all skyshards, and skill points from dungeons and quest lines up to my level. How am I just supposed to pick up a new weapon and be effective with it? I cant. Not without this respec gold punishment. And I checked respeccing now would cost me over 20000g now. That is ridiculous.
  • jeremylthb14_ESO
    I don't think removing the cost is the answer. Instead, a multi-path approach would probably work best.

1) Leave cost as it is (100g*Skills)
    2) Allow free respecs until level 10 (or 15). This will give people a chance to try a few things out early on.
    3) Provide a free respec at 50 (or 40).
    4) From there, give a free respec on an extremely long cooldown (week+)

Numbers 2 and 4 are the most optional, in my opinion.

There is a massive (relatively) number of available skill points already. You can max out multiple weapon and armor lines, all of the crafting, and still have numerous points left over for most of your class actives+passives.
    Edited by jeremylthb14_ESO on April 15, 2014 1:42PM
  • Svann
    Svann
    ✭✭✭
    It is overpriced. Shouldnt be free but I expect within a few months they will revisit it.
  • UrielX
    UrielX
    I don't see respec costs as a problem at all. There's plenty of skillpoints to experiment if you actually try to get them. I got a GM respec yesterday (because the server ate my character on Saturday) and I had 93 points at level 38.

I usually find myself with 2-5 skillpoints banked simply because I have no idea what to even spend them on. So I've started dabbling with other skills. It's pretty easy to get skillpoints. If you're really hard up, go to Cyrodiil for a while you can get a ton there.
  • Koinzell
    Koinzell
    I play since the early days of WoW, and for me, the cost is just ridiculous, 100 per skill point without an option to reset single skills is just dumb, you have no way of actually getting a good class build if you misused one skill point, because you gonna be broke after respeccing, and that should not be, it should be free, and @chelos why the *** would a free respec be broken? I have never seen that being the case
  • Awe
    Awe
    ✭✭✭
    IMO there is no sence to respec untill you get all available skill points and find out you miss a lot, and respecing on 120-150 points, on half of the possible pool, it's weird.
  • MysticAura
    MysticAura
    ✭✭✭
    Please do NOT make it cheaper. It was already made far too easy to suddenly switch everything you've CHOSEN to learn. Most games only allow 1 respec every 10 levels, if that. This system is generous, but there's always people wanting to complain.

You should not be able to be a master of bows one minute and two handed swords the next. That is ridiculous. THINK before placing your points. Yes you wanted choice, so make one. Respec'ing constantly is avoiding making a choice. You have 8 char slots for a reason. You can be anything you want to be not everything at any given minute.
  • Koinzell
    Koinzell

MysticAura wrote: »
    Please do NOT make it cheaper. It was already made far too easy to suddenly switch everything you've CHOSEN to learn. Most games only allow 1 respec every 10 levels, if that. This system is generous, but there's always people wanting to complain.

You should not be able to be a master of bows one minute and two handed swords the next. That is ridiculous. THINK before placing your points. Yes you wanted choice, so make one. Respec'ing constantly is avoiding making a choice. You have 8 char slots for a reason. You can be anything you want to be not everything at any given minute.

umm... you still need to rank up the skill line, and what game gives you a respec every 10 lvls?