The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Does anyone else find that they are falling behind? (read first)

• MasterRyu2011
    No
    I don't know. I'm finding leveling in ESO ridiculously easy. If it's the norm that you have grind dungeons a bit. I'm OK with. Too many MMOs nowadays just hole your hands from quest to quest. I don't mind putting a little effort to get to that next level. Another thing is mobs your level are easy to take down. Being a few levels below your quest content forces people to group up which is the way mmorpgs should be anyway.
    Options
  • jesterstear
    jesterstear
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Just to revisit this. I was behind upon entering Greenshade by 2 or 3 levels. Spent 2 hours grinding, completed every open world dungeon, all the open world bosses (skull and crossbones), got the quest deeds of the open world bosses , turned the Grahtwood map entirely white, like Auridon. Finished all the low level instances, then did all the mid level instances - completing the quests for the first time has fair xp. I was still a level or two behind.

I now see the problem. The first quest hub of Greenshade has lower level quests south of the city and leading out west to that port city. To the north is a valley/pass overrun with undead, the starting quests in this mini zone are 30 and sound dangerous. So , I followed the line of 27 something quests out west to the port city. Unfortunately there weren't actually that many quests in this direction, and the level escalated rapidly to 30+, which got me posting on here all worried.

So, I went back and headed north from the initial quest hub, into that valley of undead. Lo and behold, I am offered side quests galore, and run of follow ups deeper than the Marianas Trench - yet the level is still 30. I started these quests at 28, now i'm 31 and still being offered level 30 quests, fighting level 30 mobs. In fact I've just been given a level 29 side quest, deep into that zone of level 30 mobs.

Possibly then, quest progression and sequencing is more an issue than a lack of quests per se.

Options
  • Kriiks
    Kriiks
    Soul Shriven
    No
    I feel it exactly opposite. I'm level 38 and all my quests are grey or green. I'm still in Malabal Tor area and half of map unfinished.
    But I like to complete maps... explore them properly before moving on. Just running from one village to another wont give you even all quests. Many of them are scattered over all map... some hidden in far corners. I never grind mobs for exp specially, but I finished all public dungeons (completion and skyshard), helped npc travellers if I saw them in trouble (helping them gives exp), explored, opened treasure chests (exp) and harvested for my crafting.

People who are used with classical system "grab all quests from questhub, run through them quick, go to next questhub and repeat" might be in trouble in ESO, if they try to apply same habit here.
    Options
  • Bloodlance
    Bloodlance
    ✭✭
    No
    OK,

SO, the main point is, that zones are divided to different routes.

Good example is that one place Grathwood ; low part is low level, and the high route is higher level.

Now 2nd point is, people that use 100% of their stat points to magica/stamina and none to hp, will need to invest to HP gear, also getting more spell resistance and armor is a good thing then. IF you dont then lvl 30+ bigger solo dungeons and encounters are hard to do. (HP food 200-250 hp stat boost , HP potions).

everything below lvl 30 is pretty easy, example i did lvl 35 questlines at level 25, IT WAS HARD, but i was determined to do em (used buff foods and lots of potions).

Some elite encounters are not doable solo, you need a group 100%. Same with torch dungeons with + icon = group dungeon.

All in all, this game is nice at higher levels, after 30 it opens up in AD side anyway.
    Options
  • Locke_ESO
    Locke_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    lynix112 wrote: »
    I should also add that I have not been able to trigger the next mages guild or fighters guild quests.

here is a SS detailing my current progress in zones, please note that I know I have not completed everything fully in each zone but more then enough to gain the levels required according to some people.

Group Dungeons and World Bosses (skull and cross bones) provide large amounts of experience. Especially the dungeons of which there are 3 you can complete (once you do the quest in your "home" dungeon you can do the ones for the other factions also). You've probably left behind about 2-3 levels in experience by skipping them.

Edited by Locke_ESO on April 23, 2014 2:57AM
    Options
  • reignfyre
    reignfyre
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Nope not even close. I'm usually doing quests -4 my level and its way too easy. I'm gonna have to skip zones and that makes me sad.

EDIT: WTF i voted no.
    Edited by reignfyre on April 23, 2014 3:04AM
    Options
  • Dolenz
    Dolenz
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I have done Cold Harbor, Kenarthi's Roost, Auridon and Grahtwood and I entered Greenshade a couple of levels behind.

The only thing not showing completed on the maps is the Group Dungeons. I have gotten all Skyshards.

I went to a ESO site listing quests and counted up all the quests listed for Grahtwood and I do believe that I caught them all.

I just spent a half hour or more roaming Auridon seeing if I could spot any quests I may have missed there and came up empty.

Even if I have missed a quest or two in Auridon then I don't see how I missed almost two levels worth.

Just as a point of data I have played completely solo thus far. Simply questing and exploring.

I am still rather baffled how some people say they are levels ahead and others are saying they are levels behind. That is a huge discrepancy. I'm only level 24 with 64 hours played so it is not like I am rushing through content and missing stuff.
    Options
  • Nordak
    Nordak
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I have noticed that the majority of my ticks have been 0xp, From kills or chests, currently 6 lvls under area.
    Options
  • bloodenragedb14_ESO
    bloodenragedb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    this becomes a larger problem when you hit vet levels. they say each vet zone is supposed to level you by one vet rank, but im about to start reapers march, supposed to be rank 5 but im only halfway into vet 4, and thats with all dolmens, all world bosses, all pub dungeons.
    Options
  • taalkure55344-mmorpg_ESO
    Dolenz, are you sure you're doing all the quests and exploring everything in a zone? Just FYI, if you're using the Achievements to see if you've completed a zone, then that's your problem.

Auridon gives you the achievement after completing 46 quests. I did at least 52-56 quests. Grahtwood gives achievement for completing 41 quests, I did about 50 quests.

I know this because I was constantly worried of outleveling the content. In fact my main lvl 20 mission quest was green before I hit Greenshade. I entered Greenshade about lvl 25 or 26.

I don't PvP or grind. Just exploring everything and picking up any quests I find along the way.
    Options
  • Gillysan
    Gillysan
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    OK I'm pretty over people telling me to explore and that "quests aren't the only XP" like I don't know that already. So here are some screenshots of the content and achievements I have in the different zones just to show people this IS a bug and it needs to be fixed as fast as possible or many people will leave the game.

6xFXuhA.jpg
    LOL I see a bunch of stuff you haven't done in Auridon alone. I think the people who claim completionist's are not really completionist's. :)

Did you join all 3 NPC guilds and do their quests? I mean you didn't do Banished Cells so advancing Undaunted rank must not be important?

Anchors are Fighters Guild rank (mouse over in your skills, tooltip says so and dialogue with Sees-All-Colors tells you the anchors are important to the Fighters Guild)

The black tower icon to the NW of Vulkel Guard is a part of the main storyline for AD, rescue the Queens Entourage, there is a whole little quest line there you missed.
    Edited by Gillysan on April 23, 2014 10:00AM
    Options
  • Asava
    Asava
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Gillysan wrote: »
    OK I'm pretty over people telling me to explore and that "quests aren't the only XP" like I don't know that already. So here are some screenshots of the content and achievements I have in the different zones just to show people this IS a bug and it needs to be fixed as fast as possible or many people will leave the game.

6xFXuhA.jpg
    LOL I see a bunch of stuff you haven't done in Auridon alone. I think they people who claim completionist's are not really completionist's. :)

Did you join all 3 NPC guilds and do their quests? I mean you didn't do Banished Cells so advancing Undaunted rank must not be important?

Keep in mind that BC was bugged for the week that I was the right level to do it.
    Options
  • kevlarto_ESO
    kevlarto_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I have been close to my level on quests, sometimes above sometime below, the key is to explore I find a lot of quests, ESO is not quite the hand holding game like some of the others, a little sandbox thrown in with the themepark, But I also play all parts of the game, I did the starter islands, I do a little pvp, but hey if pvp is not your thing you can got to dawnbreaker if your AD, get the pve stuff done, with a 97.9% you will never even see the other faction, I think it is sad for a pvp zone, but hey use it while you can..
    Edited by kevlarto_ESO on April 23, 2014 10:06AM
    Options
  • Gillysan
    Gillysan
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Ahnjil wrote: »
    I don't fall behind if I do every single thing... But that's not what I want to do.
    This is a TES game, so there should be freedom to skip some content.
    My experience comes from Auridon.
    Also with that freedom comes the freedom to be under leveled. I get it.

If this is how you chose to play then what else is there to say? The levels are the recommended levels. If you have great skill, if you are on a twinked out alt, you might be able to skip more than others. However, you are also skipping on Skill Points. This game was designed to give you SP as a reward for completing quest lines. If all you did was grind mobs to L50 there would be probably 200 SP you went sailing past.

...and don't bring up the dead horse that this is an MMO and not a true ESO game.
    Options
  • Gillysan
    Gillysan
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Asava wrote: »

6xFXuhA.jpg
    LOL I see a bunch of stuff you haven't done in Auridon alone. I think they people who claim completionist's are not really completionist's. :)

Keep in mind that BC was bugged for the week that I was the right level to do it.
    That first week sucked for bugged content, this is true. I have ended up grouped once or twice with a L30 via the group tool. Also, skipping the starter island might put someone on the path of being underleveled.

Also I'm surprised how many times in /zone I had to explain that you should really join all 3 NPC guilds. This opens up more quests, rewards and skill lines. Mostly people missed the Undaunted. They also didn't get that ranking those up is a little different than your other skills.

Options
  • BETAOPTICS
    BETAOPTICS
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Not anymore I don't because I have started doing all the possible things in all maps and don't leave before 100% completion. Or well, there still are few quests that are over leveled for me but there is most usually quests laying around somewhere that will give me enough experience to be even leveled with the other quests.

The thing is though that the quests do give too little experience. Not because you couldn't keep up but because it creates the on the rails experience that in order for you to actually keep up with the levels in quests, you have to 100% all the areas.

There is no choice, there is no options, they are mandatory which in turn means that each time you progress in the same area with your character, you will have the same exact experience you had the last time around when it comes to quests and leveling experience that is.
    Options
  • Ahnjil
    Ahnjil
    Yes
    Ahnjil wrote: »
    I don't fall behind if I do every single thing... But that's not what I want to do.
    This is a TES game, so there should be freedom to skip some content.
    My experience comes from Auridon.
    Also with that freedom comes the freedom to be under leveled. I get it.

If this is how you chose to play then what else is there to say? The levels are the recommended levels. If you have great skill, if you are on a twinked out alt, you might be able to skip more than others. However, you are also skipping on Skill Points. This game was designed to give you SP as a reward for completing quest lines. If all you did was grind mobs to L50 there would be probably 200 SP you went sailing past.

...and don't bring up the dead horse that this is an MMO and not a true ESO game.

I wouldn't dream of it.
    Anyways, I do skip some content, but I mostly do everything, because that's what the game wants me to do. But even so, I fall behind because I don't do every single thing. The game shouldn't expect that every player wants to do every quest/dungeon/whatever.
    Edited by Ahnjil on April 23, 2014 2:23PM
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Options
  • LadyInTheWater
    LadyInTheWater
    ✭✭✭
    I'm always about 2-3 levels above the content that I'm working on.

I don't honestly know where my xp comes from, but I'm doing all the quests, exploring all the areas, killing every monster between where I am and where I'm going, reading every book I find (apparently lore books give xp), harvesting nodes, working on my crafting as I go, listening to (and reading) all the quest conversations, and I think I skipped the dungeons like Burning Cells, because I'm not any good at combat.

I die a lot. Perhaps dying gives xp. Maybe that explains it?
    The moment you call someone stupid, or try to display your opinion as "fact", you lose all credibility.
    Options
  • Captainkrunch96
    Captainkrunch96
    ✭✭✭
    No
    No. As as a completionist who makes sure everything is done I find myself 4 levels above the current quests as I just entered reapers march. Even after the achievement I usually find quite a few more quests to do per zone, as well as I kill ever boss and do all delves. Note that I don't even grind mobs.
    Options
  • cisadanepajsuxrwb17_ESO
    No
    To be honest, I personally have to give the devs kudos here. Everytime I changed area after completing the previous one, it is almost always spot on in terms of me vs mob levels. I try for 100% completion in an area but if i cant find it then i move on. I tried mixing it up a bit even by spending a week in cyrodiil and i didnt stray too far
    Options
  • lynix112
    lynix112
    ✭✭
    Yes

6xFXuhA.jpg
    LOL I see a bunch of stuff you haven't done in Auridon alone. I think the people who claim completionist's are not really completionist's. :)

Anchors are Fighters Guild rank (mouse over in your skills, tooltip says so and dialogue with Sees-All-Colors tells you the anchors are important to the Fighters Guild)

The black tower icon to the NW of Vulkel Guard is a part of the main storyline for AD, rescue the Queens Entourage, there is a whole little quest line there you missed.

So you're telling me that the devs want to force group content and bosses just so I can barely scrape in on levels for the next zone. You're obviously a fan boy if you think that's practical game design and/or intended.

It's funny you should mention about the queen I wondered what happened with that..... Considering I literally searched every single centimeter of that island for quests that I had missed because I was sure I had missed some given my level at the time. As you might have guessed I found nothing, leading me to believe that there are more bugs then I thought in this game.

Not to mention that even if I did miss that one quest chain it would not have given me 3 levels of experience and going back now would serve no purpose because the game is so poorly designed that going back to lower level areas is completely pointless (You'd think an ES game would be different).

Anchors are nominal experience as the very best and skyshards give 0xp for me... which seems to be not normal the way people carry on about getting them.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the mages guild for some reason would not advance for me past the first sheogorath quest (Yes I did it right, I got past it just fine in beta). and the undaunted require you to do group dungeons which I never really play long enough to find a group for so solo play is pretty much my only option and with many people claiming to have played pretty much solo since day 1 I doubt that's an issue.

You're obviously a fan boy who refuses to acknowledge the issues with this *** game.. I wont pay for another month until it's fixed....
    Options
  • lynix112
    lynix112
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I have been close to my level on quests, sometimes above sometime below, the key is to explore I find a lot of quests, ESO is not quite the hand holding game like some of the others, a little sandbox thrown in with the themepark, But I also play all parts of the game, I did the starter islands, I do a little pvp, but hey if pvp is not your thing you can got to dawnbreaker if your AD, get the pve stuff done, with a 97.9% you will never even see the other faction, I think it is sad for a pvp zone, but hey use it while you can..

STOP SAYING THIS EVERYONE KNOWS HOW TO GET XP................................................................................. OMFG PEOPLE ARE SO THICK ON THESE FORUMS.

Options
  • silent88b14_ESO
    silent88b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Point in fact...
    Behold the great Oak. Just a little nut who stood his ground.
    Options
  • ChairGraveyard
    ChairGraveyard
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm actually outleveling stuff - but the difference for me is I have focused almost solely on exploration, completing public dungeons and farming materials and items from mobs with a group.

If you haven't checked out the public dungeons that have mobs in groups of 5, do it.

The XP gain from fighting the 5-mob dungeons is *insane*. I highly recommend anyone that is behind go check one of these dungeons out, as it will get you caught up fast if you stick with a group for an hour or so (good loot too).

Some dungeons:

Grahtwood - Root Sunder - Level 16 Tigers

Greenshade - Rulanyil's Fall - Level 27 Necromancery Types

Malabal Tor - Crimson Cove - Level 33 Merc Types

Reaper's March - Vile Manse - Level 39-41 Various Stuff

I have basically jack for completion/quests and I'm almost level 40.
    Edited by ChairGraveyard on May 2, 2014 7:15PM
    Options
  • Seabreeze
    Seabreeze
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I'm level 19, so I can only speak of how I felt when leaving Auridon and moving about in Grahtwood. I answer "yes," because I was level 14 when leaving Auridon, instead of 15. This meant I was getting quest rewards in Grahtwood that I couldn't equip right away. I also know I did every quest in Auridon, as I received the achievement AND did a few extra quests afterward.

Also, while in Grahtwood, I keep getting quest rewards that are levels above me, even as I try to stick to quests around my level (using Dulfy's guide and whatnot). It concerns me that I'm not going to be the proper level when it's time for me to leave. I also notice people in VR content complaining that there aren't enough quests per zone to advance them to the proper VR before moving on, so I'm not looking forward to endgame very much.
    Options
  • Draaconis
    Draaconis
    ✭✭
    No
    I think you might need to explorer some more. I am always right at or over leveled.
    Options
  • Seabreeze
    Seabreeze
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Draaconis wrote: »
    I think you might need to explorer some more. I am always right at or over leveled.

I explore everything, everywhere, and I compare my map to those online that show everything filled in. I also get all the explorer achievements. I'm pretty sure I'm not missing anything.

I honestly think that there is a discrepancy where experience is concerned, in that some people simply end up getting more than others. Reddit has found that there's really weird ways in which gear degradation is applied, too, so I don't find it all that surprising if experience is also awarded in some funky way that leaves some people at a level or two lower than others.
    Options
  • Rasha
    Rasha
    No
    I say No, for a simple reason.

Am I usually a few levels behind the mods I come across? Yes. I just dinged 46 recently, I'm doing Coldharbor quests that are in the 45-48 range, and have been doing those since I was 42 and hit Coldharbor. However, I do not consider myself "falling behind" because I have no trouble with any of the mobs I come across. The ONLY two mobs that give me any trouble are Ice and Storm Atronochs (damn I can't spell right now)

Anyway, those two types have always given me some problems, so I've learned how to deal with em. Just about anything else I can take 3-4 at a time without TOO much trouble. FYI, playing as a Nightblade.

Well, that's my two cents anyway
    "Only in the darkness may the light be known, just as only the truly mad can ever be sane. So come Mortals, Demons and Gods, dance with me, and know the madness within!"
    ~self quote
    Options
  • Apophiss
    Apophiss
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I am having zero issues taking on 3-4 mobs that are 4-5 levels above me.
    "Just when I think you have said the stupidest thing possible, you keep talking."
    -Hank Hill
    Options
  • Criselli
    Criselli
    No
    It's worth noting that if you just travel up the main path the quests will get significantly harder as you near the next zone. Much of the "level scaling" on the maps progresses laterally (East - West). (EDIT: Obviously direction changes based on the individual zone. Point being don't go towards the "end" of the map before clearing the lower areas first).

Another tip worth noting is that the group finder feature with "World" selected will almost always point you to the exact area on the map with mobs of even level. Public dungeons and World bosses give fairly significant xp as well. Around 90% of your xp should be coming from quest turn ins though. With the mass of players all over neither PDs or WBs are ever very difficult.

My personal experience with both a DC lvl 37 mage and a V1 Dragon Knight in AD are almost always +2-3 levels over the mobs I'm fighting. (DK is now fighting even con V1 mobs as of last night).
    Edited by Criselli on May 3, 2014 5:20PM
    -Criselli
    I have honestly thought about our dilemna. I have a solution that works out well for one of the both of us. - GlaDOS.
    Achiever 53.33%, Explorer 66.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 20.00%
    Options