Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Halls of torment / Lyris Doppelganger

• Twyst
    Twyst
    ✭✭✭
    Just did this at lvl 30 DK 2H, took a few attempts. As melee, the trick is just to keep moving and ensure you don't get frontalled. Having a charge move, such as stampede or (shield charge if you're a tank) really helps to get to the balls and more importantly, out of the frontal. I popped a +stam and + mag recharge pot which helped. Self heals are important, but limited on the DK if you're a glass cannon, Burning embers helps. Standard of might is the real secret though. Pop that and as DPS boom, she goes down. I had to pop it twice after working out the mechanics. The furniture in the middle doesn't help either, but your charge move can path around it.

Good luck!

@ ZOS, don't nerf the fight please. It's fun and the joy I got of beating it was awesome! Yes it's hard, but once you down it, it's rewarding.
  • BirdUp
    BirdUp
    Twyst wrote: »
    @ ZOS, don't nerf the fight please. It's fun and the joy I got of beating it was awesome! Yes it's hard, but once you down it, it's rewarding.

No, just... no.

Something is seriously wrong when this solo-only mini-boss, supposedly doable at lvl 30, is tougher than a lvl 40 troll.

The litmus test is: why is the Tharn boss so much easier? I had a hard time with him, but eventually got him. That was ok in my book. But Lyris? It's ridiculous.

One possible solution is buff the "real" Lyris (who I chose as my companion) so that she can actually stay in the fight for more than two or three seconds.

• Attronach
    Attronach
    ✭✭
    this encouter create really stupid idiot and have to kill him with lvl 30 templar.
    No food no drink BEFORE he kill him.
    REAL food and REAL drink.
  • Januk
    Januk
    Wait... What? Lyris Doppleganger was the easy one, kill the balls, dps her til she grabs you, kill the balls, rinse n repeat. Tharn was the one that pissed me off the most of those two. All he did was summoning a horde of Zombies, I kill one, two more spawn in the mean time. All along with that I can't hit him for *** n giggles cause he did the spinny thing you can't stop.
  • Syzmicke
    Syzmicke
    ✭✭✭
    This fight just takes the p1ss way to hard for a level 30 quest.I cant see the point of these if you have to over level it just to progress.

Really needs a nerf or move it further up the quest line at around level 35 or something.
  • Raubrey
    Raubrey
    ✭✭✭
    There is really no way to justify an *ESO boss* that works with only certain builds (for the most part) and/or to require one be significantly overleveled to complete. Not when a near premise of the game is the ability to build unique but viable characters in all classes.

Sure, 10, even 20% (I am guessing) can finish this quest at LV 30 but I'll bet most can not. And from the comments, even fewer enjoy the fight.

Please Zenimax listen to your customer base and not the few elite / highly skilled (or practiced via Beta) players or V10s, largely there due to exploits.

Signed,

Awesome Siphoning/2H LV 31 Khajiit

... who is accustom to challenge as an average player but my build has been serving me well otherwise for several levels with several types of enemies. Some harder, some easier and some requiring tactics.

P.S. I didn't have a problem with the Tharn doppleganger using Tharn and my Ultimate.
    Edited by Raubrey on April 17, 2014 6:33AM

Greybeards & Gals Founder
    greybeardsandgals.com
  • Loki_Danai
    Loki_Danai
    Soul Shriven
    The only issue I am having is that Lyris Doppleganger just isn't there. Either she's a ghost and I die without even knowing what is going on or she's just not there.

Highly frustrating.
  • contact.opiumb16_ESO
    contact.opiumb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same problem here ! I don't have much problems with my build even on named mobs etc, but even at lvl32 i can't beat the final naga. I use the healing orbs etc but i just can't kill here.

I remember a naga in the warrior guild line that as been nerfed the same reason : only killable with some luck and/or a lot more levels than here.

Too many bugs in this game, some imba mobs and loots (damn with a basic crafting ability i do better than dongeon bosses loots !?!?).

Please Zenimax do something for this.
  • crislevin
    crislevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did it on the 2nd try with lvl 33 sorc.

Had atronauch ultimate ready before going in. On top of that, a volatile familiar seems successfully rooted her, so I can dump dps on her from a far.

She is much stronger than the other two mini boss, it's gonna take a lot to get her down with melee attacks, with companion being so useless.
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They seriously need to make these quests groupable, or they'll lose a _lot_ of players
  • Asava
    Asava
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard that you can zone into the dungeon then invite a friend. They just have to hit p and join you.
  • Sanspoof
    Sanspoof
    ✭✭✭
    BirdUp wrote: »
    Twyst wrote: »

No, just... no.

Something is seriously wrong when this solo-only mini-boss, supposedly doable at lvl 30, is tougher than a lvl 40 troll.

The litmus test is: why is the Tharn boss so much easier? I had a hard time with him, but eventually got him. That was ok in my book. But Lyris? It's ridiculous.

One possible solution is buff the "real" Lyris (who I chose as my companion) so that she can actually stay in the fight for more than two or three seconds.
    I died 2-3 times on Tharn, Lyris I got it the first try. She just stood still until she transformed though.

I think these fights are designed with the npc helping us in mind, which is why they are so hard since the npcs are buggy and stop fighting after a while.
  • cigarsmoker
    cigarsmoker
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone heard anything from ZOS about this issue?
    "900 years of Time and Space and I've never met anyone who was unimportant" - The 9th incarnation of The Doctor
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I first read this thread before doing this quest last night.

Took maybe a minute or two to kill both of the dopplegangers. They went down like flies and Lyris' actually just stood there and never attacked me as I killed her.

Ran this as a Nightblade Vampire at level 30. Guess I got really, really lucky, I hope those who are having issues with this get an answer from CS soon.
    Edited by Zershar_Vemod on April 18, 2014 1:30PM
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
  • jestertiko
    Tharn was the hard one, the other two i finished off first try. I was using a Two handed axe as a templar level 31. I had to stagger my aedric spear stuns and my uppercut stuns to stop tharn from summoning the skeletons for me to win. i basically had him on the ground for his entire bar of health. was crazy.
  • alterfenixeb17_ESO
    alterfenixeb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Angmarsky wrote: »
    It's a bugged quest even after the last patch. Great work ZeniMax!
    It's not bugged and can be done. It's just poorly balanced. Same actually can be said about every fight with Doshia-based mob - mechanics are the biggest problem really. If they paid more attention to that then all those fights could be challenging yet fun for every build - not just the chosen ones.

• skarvika
    skarvika
    ✭✭✭✭
    Damn, I just had to try it like 4-5 times to finally beat the first boss (Tharn), as a level 33 dual wielding templar. I took Lyris. If Lyris is not attacking Tharn, it is because she took too much damage from the spikes at the beginning of the dungeon. Healing her to full health seemed to fix this.

My strategy was as follows:
    - Use a bow to pick at him (and pray none of his skeleton summons come after you), I was able to knock him down about 30-40% this way
    - When his skeletons started charging me, I used the Aedric Spear "Binding Javelin" to knock them away
    - I then used the heavy armor skill "Unstoppable" to put an 8 second shield around me while striking Tharn
    - From my previous attempt I had filled up my ultimate ability, Crescent Sweep, so I first hit him with this
    - When his skeletons came close, I spammed the everloving hell out of Biting Jabs to knock back his summons (a health potion was used somewhere in here as well)
    - After this, my ultimate was recharged and I was able to use that to finish him off

A very difficult battle...and it does almost require you to be specced specifically for it...which I don't like at all. A player shouldn't need to build their entire character around one npc fight.
    As for the Lyris boss, I have no idea what the strategy there would be. Real Lyris just stood around no matter what her health was at. Just hit the balls, spam attacks and pray it works. Finally managed to beat her just barely...the next hit would have killed me. I think the quest level should be corrected; these are at least level 35 bosses, I might even go so far as to recommend not doing this quest until 40 just to save yourself a headache due to the Lyris bug in the second battle. I'm just glad I'm 33 and not 30 or even a few levels lower than most people attempting this probably are. What a nightmare of a quest. "Halls Of Torment" is the most accurate name for a quest I've ever seen.
    Edited by skarvika on April 19, 2014 2:03AM
    QQing is a full time job
  • Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not understand why we aren't allowed to group for these quests. Instead of nerfing these, which doesn't really help most of us who cannot handle these solo -- allow grouping.
  • Alandauron
    Alandauron
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when I had trouble with the Harvesters...

For everyone that says the Doppleganger heals to 100% health, I GUARANTEE YOU'RE NOT KILLING THE ORBS!!!

She doesn't heal at all if you take out those orbs, in fact you get healed.

IF YOU DO NOT TAKE OUT THE ORBS YOU DON'T GET BACK THE LIFE THAT SHE IS "HARVESTING" FROM YOU!!!

That ground attack is brutal, don't let it hit you. It is really easy to avoid the ground attack, it moves super slow.

Don't burn down all your stamina with skills, you need to save a bit to dodge roll in case you miss the tell or it bugs out.

Pick up some food or drink before attempting if you're having that much trouble. If you're in a guild you can probably get food and drink for free, I'm a provisioner in my guild and I give all my food away for free to guildies.

Food and Drink DO NOT STACK. Decide if you want extra HP/Magicka/Stamina or a bonus to their regen.

Right after you get lifted into the air and most of your life is "harvested" forget about the Harvester and TAKE OUT THOSE ORBS!

I can understand why people just start telling people "Learn to play". Not because all of them are ***(I'm sure a few are) but because at some point you realize that the people coming to these forums aren't actually reading the helpful responses in the threads. They are simply looking for a place to post their rant. They see the title, read the OP, then post their rant without looking through for tips.

So my thing is going to start being LEARN TO READ!! If you can't beat something ask for help or read helpful posts, the game is not too hard, you're too lazy to spend the time to find the answers that will help you.
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ysne58 wrote: »
    I do not understand why we aren't allowed to group for these quests. Instead of nerfing these, which doesn't really help most of us who cannot handle these solo -- allow grouping.

Agreed, allow grouping and it would pretty much sort everything.
  • LimeFox
    LimeFox
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but those Harvester bosses are impossible. Because everytime I get into a fight with one, I get MASSIVE latency spikes and that pretty well kills any chance I have of surviving the fight, because I can't kill the damn orbs before they get to her.

I understand the fight mechanic. I get it. It's doable. But when this quest kills me a good twenty times, and the final boss of the game is EASY by comparison? That's just stupid. Content should be progressively difficult.

I might add, when on earth is the average player supposed to learn tactics for these fights? And don't tell me:

-I should be learning them from the quest bosses, because with usually 4-5 people trying to kill them along with me, tactics become fairly pointless.

-I should be learning them from the Dungeon Bosses, because.... oh wait. 17 people and bots camping them. Never mind, the Immortal Fist of Doom went down in 0.2 seconds.

-I should be learning them from the world bosses, except those are generally bosses you're EXPECTED to team up for. Same with the Dolmens.

That's my issue. You can literally go from level 1-49 in this game and never sweat a boss fight because inevitably, someone else will pop into your instance and make it easier. There is no reason whatsoever a player might have to learn to fight these enemies, because aside from the main storyline and guild quests, everything else allows you to group or have multiple people fighting the same boss.
    That's why you have level 23 people running around a level 30+ zone... there's little that will kill them in questing and boss fights. I had an utterly wretched character build before I recently respeced, and I really didn't notice it until level 30. There was no reason for me to.

I don't mind having 17 people all jump the same guy, but it offers zero opportunities for a learning curve. Either solo-instance more quests, or don't do it at all. But don't give me a broken NPC backup and no chance to group and assume by now the player must have some idea what's happening. It's not always true. I think the last boss I actually had a chance to solo was in Auridon. In Beta.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I encountered this, too, today. Level 30 sorcerer. Tried 10-15 times ... must have used ultimate Storm Atronach half of those times, and then left. Impossible. Will try taking out the orbs as others have suggested.
    Badhat wrote: »
    yeah, at level 30 even with the heal this is just impossible. I have decent DPS but does practically nothing. From range with a bow or close up with two handed either way you just get annihilated. When she grabs you with that skill that drains health there seems to be no tell. Blocking is OK but you're stamina just drops and then she grabs you... you can't run away and heal a bit because she runs back to the centre of the room then heals to 100%. Downright impossible.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on April 19, 2014 8:47AM
  • cigarsmoker
    cigarsmoker
    ✭✭✭
    I first read this thread before doing this quest last night.

Took maybe a minute or two to kill both of the dopplegangers. They went down like flies and Lyris' actually just stood there and never attacked me as I killed her.

Ran this as a Nightblade Vampire at level 30. Guess I got really, really lucky, I hope those who are having issues with this get an answer from CS soon.

And that's a bug I would love to run into, just to get past this and continue the story.
    "900 years of Time and Space and I've never met anyone who was unimportant" - The 9th incarnation of The Doctor
  • cigarsmoker
    cigarsmoker
    ✭✭✭
    Alandauron wrote: »
    I remember when I had trouble with the Harvesters...

For everyone that says the Doppleganger heals to 100% health, I GUARANTEE YOU'RE NOT KILLING THE ORBS!!!

She doesn't heal at all if you take out those orbs, in fact you get healed.

IF YOU DO NOT TAKE OUT THE ORBS YOU DON'T GET BACK THE LIFE THAT SHE IS "HARVESTING" FROM YOU!!!

That ground attack is brutal, don't let it hit you. It is really easy to avoid the ground attack, it moves super slow.

Don't burn down all your stamina with skills, you need to save a bit to dodge roll in case you miss the tell or it bugs out.

Pick up some food or drink before attempting if you're having that much trouble. If you're in a guild you can probably get food and drink for free, I'm a provisioner in my guild and I give all my food away for free to guildies.

Food and Drink DO NOT STACK. Decide if you want extra HP/Magicka/Stamina or a bonus to their regen.

Right after you get lifted into the air and most of your life is "harvested" forget about the Harvester and TAKE OUT THOSE ORBS!

I can understand why people just start telling people "Learn to play". Not because all of them are ***(I'm sure a few are) but because at some point you realize that the people coming to these forums aren't actually reading the helpful responses in the threads. They are simply looking for a place to post their rant. They see the title, read the OP, then post their rant without looking through for tips.

So my thing is going to start being LEARN TO READ!! If you can't beat something ask for help or read helpful posts, the game is not too hard, you're too lazy to spend the time to find the answers that will help you.

Well this was less than useful as a post.
    We are all here because we've tried the tactics of killing the orbs and keeping the boss busy etc. and are STILL getting killed.
    I tried this again this morning and died for an hour again. WHILE TAKING OUT THE ORBS AND KEEPING HER BUSY. She down to about 2k life and speeds up the attack pattern and I as a single target crit build Nightblade cannot keep up with the amount of damage she is dealing. Even with Health food buff and good potions.

So what then, am I supposed to do? Come back at 40?
  • Jirki88
    Jirki88
    ✭✭✭
    This is kind of... weird. That Fighters Guild harvester was an absolute NIGHTMARE for me before.

But this? I was level 34 on my Sorc (with 2h and HA) with two summons and Tharn as companion. I did as I usually do, and charged in, using Wrecking Blow and Crystal Shards for knockdown. I encountered the problem that Lyris Doppelganger didn't have any combat animations which made the fight very weird, but I atleast *think* Tharn did something. I also never even saw any orbs, and I don't think the doppelganger healed at all, 'cause I eventually killed it after some running around.

Spontaneously I'd say the entire fight is outright bugged. No combat animations, apparently no orbs... Well, I'm not complaining, 'cause it was a close call. But still... Something was probably not entirely right in the fight.

These healing orbs, for that matter, is an absolute nightmare when playing in 1st person view. They are heavily difficult to spot then, and even worse to try to reach, as it's always several of them. Kinda like Lady Vashj in Serpentshrine Cavern in WoW, just a lot more compressed and painful (unless of course you play Elder Scrolls games in 3rd person in which case I will call you about as mentally sound as Sheogorath!).
    Veritas et aequitas, et usque ad mortem.
  • limeli8
    limeli8
    ✭✭✭

Well this was less than useful as a post.
    We are all here because we've tried the tactics of killing the orbs and keeping the boss busy etc. and are STILL getting killed.
    I tried this again this morning and died for an hour again. WHILE TAKING OUT THE ORBS AND KEEPING HER BUSY. She down to about 2k life and speeds up the attack pattern and I as a single target crit build Nightblade cannot keep up with the amount of damage she is dealing. Even with Health food buff and good potions.

So what then, am I supposed to do? Come back at 40?

I've beaten her as a night blade, as a DK and as a sorc. It was hardest for night blade and easiest for sorc. Anyone with aoe can just run around her and spam it when she pops orbs alot of NB don't carry aoe at that level. Here is some honest advice on how to fight her.
    As any character at all you can simply burst her like mad real quick before she turns into a harvester and get her to magic "low health" where u can use finisher moves its not as hard as it seems because until she turns she can be CCed. if you are unable to do that well here are your options.
    As a melee always strafe around her so when she uses her cone attack it misses you, drink pots and break orbs if you are able to break all orbs every time then just take it easy and slowly dps her down going though this rotation.
    If you use a bow stay far enough from her to see where cone aoe is going so you can dodge it and kite, you will need some heals (potions, syphon or w/e) you can kill all orbs but as a kitng bow user you can often make her outrun the orbs and they will keep chasing her so killing them is optional. Just take your time don't mess up and you'll be fine.
    As a caster... well its hard for me to talk about templars (didn't play one) and most of them use bows anyways so i already went though that. As a sorc this should be a joke for you - storm atronach, spam crystal shard then at 20% spam finisher yay! done in like 15 sec. if you cant do that can always summon clanfear to tank her and when it dies just resummon and use heavy attack on staff to save mana lol it helps if you have your other weapon as a resto staff then you can heal pet and yourself just make sure you run in there and aoe the orbs so she doesn't heal.
    As a DK staff user just play same as melee would except dot/pew pew/aoe and you can get the orbs way easier than a melee.
    In all these cases if you are able to self heal you can outrun her and heal up just make sure you dont get hit by aoe.

All that being said - harvesters are a deadric mob that you will encounter a lot so learn how to fight them! (fighter guild skills help) you will not always have a person to group with even in open areas and unless you want to always be that annoying person spamming everyone with OMG help kill boss! lol LTP All the content in the game excluding group instanced dungeons is soloable with enough skill and a bit of YOLO!!!

PS when i was doing this on my NB on pts there was a bug where you'd get kicked to login and rolled back outside of harborage... So i had to kill her like 4 times on that poor NB that was some good training! lol
    Edited by limeli8 on April 19, 2014 12:46PM
    I have to give a credit to AD pack of Vampires with VR10 Night Mistress leading them (seriously VR10 10 days after the official release?).

Night Mistress - v12 Former Empress Sorcerer AD
    Night Mistress II - v12 Night Blade AD
  • limeli8
    limeli8
    ✭✭✭
    Also NPCs when their health goes to 0 stop helping, so ether don't let that happen or kite long enough for them to heal up. They'll get back up and attack again at some point.
    I have to give a credit to AD pack of Vampires with VR10 Night Mistress leading them (seriously VR10 10 days after the official release?).

Night Mistress - v12 Former Empress Sorcerer AD
    Night Mistress II - v12 Night Blade AD
  • Rholinx
    Rholinx
    lvl 41 Templar ...2 hander ...cannot complete this quest....are the main quests scaled to character lvls?
    I mean im 11 lvls above the questline WTF?
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rholinx wrote: »
    lvl 41 Templar ...2 hander ...cannot complete this quest....are the main quests scaled to character lvls?
    I mean im 11 lvls above the questline WTF?

No, they don't scale to level. Usually you should be able to complete it at latest four levels higher than the quest.
    Is your gear up to date? Do you have/use potions/food/drinks?

Edited by Kendaric on April 19, 2014 4:19PM
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • Oldbushie
      Oldbushie
      ✭✭✭
      I finally got past this blasted quest at level 42 as a nightblade. Ridiculous. And now there's yet another Fighter's Guild quest (the last one in the quest line) with a harvester. UGH. If I miss even one ball out of 8 she heals to full. These monsters are way too OP.