Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Veteran Rank

Menacer
Menacer
✭✭
I see a lot, and I mean A LOT of people quitting when they get to veteran ranks.

Its not because its hard. No, its because its a pure quest grind at that point.

Monsters that gave you 300-500 experience at level 45+, 50 veteran points if you are lucky.

No exploration veteran points, no chest veteran points, quest veteran points is way lower. And to get to VR 2, well thats only 456,000 veteran points. I was getting like 2000 veteran points per quest. If that holds up its only about 200 quests to VR2...

So the ONLY thing left to do is grind quests, and grind them hard.

Menacer
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, not to state the obvious, but you could just go and have some fun in Cyrodiil every once in a while if grinding quests gets too boring.

If i'm not mistaken, you don't have to be VR10 to have fun playing this game ...
    ;-)
  • Jice
    Jice
    ✭✭✭
    I'm I to understand then that getting verteran ranks is supposed to be difficult? Who'da thunk it, a game system that rewards persistance in a game that wasn't meant to be complete in a weekend.
  • Menacer
    Menacer
    ✭✭
    Jice wrote: »
    I'm I to understand then that getting verteran ranks is supposed to be difficult? Who'da thunk it, a game system that rewards persistance in a game that wasn't meant to be complete in a weekend.

Did I say one word about difficult? No, time consuming is not the same thing as difficulty.

Also the only thing I was complaining about was that the ONLY way to get experience at veteran levels is to grind quests. Nothing else gives reliable experience, that just SUCKS.

Menacer
  • Jice
    Jice
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see any difference, how did you get to 50? My guess is quests, pvp and dungeons. You know, things that make TESO a game. Are you complaining that you have to play the game in order to...play the game?
  • Menacer
    Menacer
    ✭✭
    Jice wrote: »
    I don't see any difference, how did you get to 50? My guess is quests, pvp and dungeons. You know, things that make TESO a game. Are you complaining that you have to play the game in order to...play the game?

What I am really confused about, and what I am complaining about is why in the world would they change how you get experience for veteran levels?

Once you are veteran rank you get NO experience for chests, and a fraction of the experience for monster kills. I have not done a dungeon yet, but I am guessing there are no quests for fungal grotto and the like anymore, meaning they are worthless, as the exp for the monsters in those was like 3 experience per kill for levels 1-50.

Menacer
  • Darastix
    Darastix
    ✭✭✭
    I hope it stays this way, VR10 is supposed to mean something, and not obtained within weeks after launch.
  • Frail_Old_Man
    Frail_Old_Man
    ✭✭
    Ah, so the veteran ranks will be -the grind- of this game.
    Cant wait for endgame guilds that demand vr10 <.<
    Sanguine's testers, the best testers.
    Alas we are no longer labeled as such.
  • Captainkrunch96
    Captainkrunch96
    ✭✭✭
    have you done the veteran dungeons?
  • Menacer
    Menacer
    ✭✭

We tried Fungal Grotto with 2 VR 5's and 2 VR 1's. We got the first boss down, but the second boss faced rolled us.

Menacer

• jmkilthau
    jmkilthau
    ✭✭
    Aren't MMOs supposed to be time consuming anyway? Sounds like you need to stop worrying about power leveling now, and just play the game. If you don't have the time for a time consuming genre then you shouldn't be playing.
  • pavelcherepanskyrwb17_ESO
    jmkilthau wrote: »
    Aren't MMOs supposed to be time consuming anyway? Sounds like you need to stop worrying about power leveling now, and just play the game. If you don't have the time for a time consuming genre then you shouldn't be playing.

I totally agree. BTW, why are you trying so hard to get to VR10, it's only been a week or so since early access? My experience says that there's nothing more boring in any MMO than being on cap. The only thing to do there are daily quests, grinding raids and group dungeons and trying to get the best armor/weapon possible. Boooooooring...

If that's your kind of fun then you shouldn't be worried about grinding to VR10, otherwise reroll and try to PLAY the game.

"Do you want the book or not? Then go whack some people with Wabbajack!!"
  • trimsic_ESO
    trimsic_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Menacer wrote: »
    I see a lot, and I mean A LOT of people quitting when they get to veteran ranks.

Its not because its hard. No, its because its a pure quest grind at that point.

Monsters that gave you 300-500 experience at level 45+, 50 veteran points if you are lucky.

No exploration veteran points, no chest veteran points, quest veteran points is way lower. And to get to VR 2, well thats only 456,000 veteran points. I was getting like 2000 veteran points per quest. If that holds up its only about 200 quests to VR2...

So the ONLY thing left to do is grind quests, and grind them hard.

Menacer

This game is officially released since Friday the 4th of April, and people are not happy because they are not Veteran 10, yet.

:D
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭

This game is officially released since Friday the 4th of April, and people are not happy because they are not Veteran 10, yet.

:D

Yes I know its been 3 days since the game launched. It's just unreasonable isn't it.
  • Xithian
    Xithian
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, anyone that's quitting so soon over something like this is just going to quit after capping out at VR10 anyway. If you're so addicted to fast progression that you can't take it then you're just going to be crushed when you hit the end.

For anyone with this problem already, I highly recommend the addon that removes NPC dialogue text from the NPC window. You'll find yourself actually listening to what they have to say. You might even enjoy the game instead of just the meta-game.
  • Loviotor
    Loviotor
    It is the people that grind out to max level and then complain about it that ruined almost every MMO since Everquest came out. There is more to the games than the end-game content and raiding. Half the enjoyment is supposed to be the journey. The fact that the game has only been out for 3 days officially and 8 days of early access and there are already people at max level and complaining about content or whatever else just proves that they make this stuff too easy anymore.

The whole purpose of the game is to enjoy the journey, experience the content, and work your way to the end-game. It's not supposed to be about rushing to the end of the game and then deciding that there's not enough to do or that it's not rewarding enough.

All of the folks that bum-rush through content to get cap level and then come here to complain about the lack of reward, lack of content or whatever else are the problem and just need to go back to playing that other game that I refuse to even mention because of the feel of taint and filth that it leaves me with.
  • Dixa
    Dixa
    ✭✭✭

We tried Fungal Grotto with 2 VR 5's and 2 VR 1's. We got the first boss down, but the second boss faced rolled us.

Menacer

this has little to do with your rank and likely your gear and even MORE likely lack of crafting skills.

although the game was not designed for people who play 15 hours a day every day, it also was not designed to hit vr10 in 3 days. that didn't stop pryda from exploiting his way there, but he hit vr10 rather quickly which as you have noted requires you to quest to do.

and why would you not want to quest in an elder scrolls game? these games have ALWAYS been about quests and exploration. the fact that all three factions have unique content and you get to experience them all without having to make a new character - call it new game+ - was a smart move.

people aren't going to quit at 50. YOU may quit because you prefer instant gratification in your games. But people are not going to quit. open up Steam, open up the skyrim page, scroll down to the comments for the product and note the THOUANDS of hours people have put into that single player game.
  • Genev
    Genev
    ✭✭
    Currently VR3 because I'm taking it easy (and AvA gives stupidly low amounts of experience), and the only reason I'm questing in this game is ebcause I'm a completionist and I might as well do that while I'm waiting for people to log on to do AvA or a VR zone.

I have no interest whatsoever in the Elder Scrolls series, people have different tastes and for every person who played Skyrim for thousands of hours, you will have another person who played it for an hour, uninstalled it and never looked back.

We got told "Play how you like", so just let us play how we like. Though I have to say, nobody I know quit on the Veteran ranks, or complained about the lack of content (and I know a fair amount of people working on those, and almost none are interested in questing)
  • zamiel
    zamiel
    ✭✭✭
    So, you can't stand around a dungeon boss and press the same button repeatedly to get up to VR10?
    I call it good game design.

Anyway, someone playing something elder scrollish and whining about having too much content? Newsflash OP, the designers want you to actually play the game and do all those quests they worked on, not standing at a place and killing the same thing over and over again. Go out there and quest - maybe read what the NPCs are saying to you.
    You know actually that's the point of the game, not getting VR10 or whatever.
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have some questions for those of you who have reached Veteran status. I am currently level 33 and I still have almost 1/3rd of Shadowfen to complete. So, I am almost 4 levels ahead of where I should be. I am on pace to hit VR 1 while I am about 3/4ths complete with The Rift. Here are my questions.

1. When I hit level 50, do the mobs in The Rift or Coldharbour still give the same amount of XP or do they drop to 0 much like what happens when I fight a mob 6 or more levels below me (such as some of the level 26 mobs in my current zone of Shadowfen)? Or does the XP drop only take place once I reach Glenumbra and the official VR 1 zone for EP?

2. What sort of XP do the unfinished non-VR quests offer? If I have several 40something quests to complete when I hit level 50, do they still offer XP or just gold and loot?

3. What sort of XP do you receive for the PVE mobs in Cyrodiil? They are all level 50 so does the XP fall off a cliff for them or is it constant?

4. Do the Cyrodiil PVE quests help advance your VR XP?

I enjoy grinding/farming the skull bosses as well as the Dark Anchors or any area with Daedra or undead so I can increase my Fighters Guild level. I very rarely run from or evade a mob fight unless they offer no XP. This is why I am a few levels above where I should be and that differential continues to grow with each passing day and zone I play, hence my questions.
  • Pryda
    Pryda
    ✭✭
    Dixa wrote: »

Menacer

this has little to do with your rank and likely your gear and even MORE likely lack of crafting skills.

although the game was not designed for people who play 15 hours a day every day, it also was not designed to hit vr10 in 3 days. that didn't stop pryda from exploiting his way there, but he hit vr10 rather quickly which as you have noted requires you to quest to do.

and why would you not want to quest in an elder scrolls game? these games have ALWAYS been about quests and exploration. the fact that all three factions have unique content and you get to experience them all without having to make a new character - call it new game+ - was a smart move.

people aren't going to quit at 50. YOU may quit because you prefer instant gratification in your games. But people are not going to quit. open up Steam, open up the skyrim page, scroll down to the comments for the product and note the THOUANDS of hours people have put into that single player game.

Why do you keep talking about exploit?
    Sorcerer on Auriel's Bow EU - http://www.twitch.tv/Prydatv & http://www.youtube.com/cyr9x (1-50 & VR leveling guides + PvP Videos)
  • darkuniab14_ESO
    LonePirate wrote: »
    1. When I hit level 50, do the mobs in The Rift or Coldharbour still give the same amount of XP or do they drop to 0 much like what happens when I fight a mob 6 or more levels below me (such as some of the level 26 mobs in my current zone of Shadowfen)? Or does the XP drop only take place once I reach Glenumbra and the official VR 1 zone for EP?

I'm pretty sure you get nothing until you unlock your first veteran zone.
    2. What sort of XP do the unfinished non-VR quests offer? If I have several 40something quests to complete when I hit level 50, do they still offer XP or just gold and loot?

No idea. I do have a couple quests I haven't completed due to bugs so maybe I'll give it a shot when they get fixed. My guess would be no.
    3. What sort of XP do you receive for the PVE mobs in Cyrodiil? They are all level 50 so does the XP fall off a cliff for them or is it constant?

You get 0xp from pve mobs in Cyrodiil.
    4. Do the Cyrodiil PVE quests help advance your VR XP?

Yes. (Repeatable ones only?)
    I enjoy grinding/farming the skull bosses as well as the Dark Anchors or any area with Daedra or undead so I can increase my Fighters Guild level. I very rarely run from or evade a mob fight unless they offer no XP. This is why I am a few levels above where I should be and that differential continues to grow with each passing day and zone I play, hence my questions.

This is a good thing. I'm currently VR3 in Eastmarch (VR4 zone for AD), probably because I didn't kill every single mob on my way to and from quests. So I went to Cyrodiil for the repeatable quests to make up the difference in exp.
  • Levi
    Levi
    ✭✭✭
    I believe the complaint was about what feels like running out of leveling options in veteran level content. I like being able to go off on my own. I've got most of the quests done in the VR2 area, and it doesn't look like I will hit VR3 before i run out of them. The solution to this was to kill enemies until you level. That really is not feasible here. It feels like you run out before you can move on. This can happen whether you do it fast or not.
    Levi Canonach VR16 Templar Healer - DC NA
    Coda Canonach VR16 Templar Stamina DPS - DC NA
    Faolan D'lanach VR16 Nightblade Healer/DPS - DC NA
    J'Aorka VR16 Nightblade Stamina DPS - AD NA
    Moon'Moon VR16 Dragonknight Tank - DC NA
    Rapha Yeshimone - VR16 Sorcerer Healer/DPS - DC NA
    Trelos Flacara VR1 Dragonknight Magicka DPS - DC NA
  • Malediktus
    Malediktus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Veteran ranks are not meant to be gotten as easy as normal levels, otherwise they could have just called it lvl 60. Deal with it.
    @Malediktus --- Ebonheart Pact, EU-Megaserver
  • WarirorHax
    WarirorHax
    Soul Shriven
    Does anyone know if enemies in Veteran Dungeons crit on players? Trying to make the best decisions for crafting gear for my tank friends. Thanks
  • Veakoth
    Veakoth
    ✭✭✭
    Eso put so much emphasis on the "Journey" they seem to forget the other aspects of what makes an MMO good.
    I'm at vet 10 on EP and i can tell you the Journey is not for everyone and its the only way everyone can level.
    If your on daggerfall and your vet 10 don't even post, were aware you guys can grind to vet 10 from bugged world boss
  • Kingslayer
    Kingslayer
    ✭✭✭
    The majority are loving it at veteran rank, and grind fest? Its the same as it is in lower levels except less of a grind fest, it pays to quest and doing pvp? Can get loads through it.
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @darkuniab14_ESO Thank you for taking the time to answer all of my questions. I am not surprised by any of the answers but I am glad to hear about the Cyrodiil PVE quests contributing points to the Veteran ranks. It is nice to have them as options even if the Cyrodiil mobs offer no XP.

It is interesting how mob grinding is probably the fastest way to level prior to VR1 but it is the slowest way once VR1 is reached. I blame the PTS testers as they probably complained about the VR mob grinding until it was nerfed. I think the PTS testers hurt this game as much as they helped it.
  • derpmonster
    derpmonster
    ✭✭
    Darastix wrote: »
    I hope it stays this way, VR10 is supposed to mean something, and not obtained within weeks after launch.

And yet people are already rank 10. Go figure.

• Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Darastix wrote: »

And yet people are already rank 10. Go figure.

I know, right?
  • Axer
    Axer
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have some questions for those of you who have reached Veteran status. I am currently level 33 and I still have almost 1/3rd of Shadowfen to complete. So, I am almost 4 levels ahead of where I should be. I am on pace to hit VR 1 while I am about 3/4ths complete with The Rift. Here are my questions.

Figured I'd give some actually correct responses..
    2. All monsters with 5 levels of your own give you xp, and the same amount. VR1= lvl50, so lvl45+ monsters continue to provide the same XP.

What's important to know is that once VR, to level up - XP no matter has any affect. Instead you need VP (veteran points). 456k to be exact to VR2.

However, that doesn't mean that XP is irrelevant at that point, as it continues to apply to your skills, and most likely pretty much no one will have every skill/skill line useful to them maxxed out at that point.
    4. What sort of XP do the unfinished non-VR quests offer? If I have several 40something quests to complete when I hit level 50, do they still offer XP or just gold and loot?
    The same amount. Quests xp never decays or stops like monster xp. Lvl1-10 quests continue to give around 1-5k, while higher ones give 3-10k.

What change is quest also start to provide VP AND Xp at the same time upon reward. So actually saving lots of quest post cap can give you more ways to gain VP. (low lvl side quests tend to give around 1,200 VP, main ones 5k - while more level appropraite ones provide around 1,500 vp, and main/longer ones upwards of 10-20k.)

Loot: Doesn't scale, it's static equal to the level of the quest, so no, not really good at VR.
    5. What sort of XP do you receive for the PVE mobs in Cyrodiil? They are all level 50 so does the XP fall off a cliff for them or is it constant?
    It's static, per monster. Most regular humanoids around 200-300, harder mobs like trolls 550. They never stop giving xp. They however do not reward ANY VP. (only veteran rank monsters give vp)
    5. Do the Cyrodiil PVE quests help advance your VR XP?
    Aye. Though again, a bit less then actual VR quests. Plus cyrodils so massive, most quests involve a ton of running around, making them rather ineffecient. (though was still fun for me to do some, as it gave a bit of Oblivion nostalgia running around the old towns i remembered from it).

Cyrodil can be very fruitful in VR advancement tho if you manage some good sieges. Completing pvp objectives give a big one time boost, and a decent sized repeatable boost.

Tips to help tell what kind of XP or VP your getting:
    - Get good addons:
    - Wykkyd framework gives a nice xp popup on kills/quest completes, and also an optional toolbar onscreen for VP.
    - Slightly improved experience bar can display either your choice or VP or XP post 50.
    - CLS gives you a combat log, which you can enable to display either xp or vp, skill line xp, or a combination of all 3.
    Edited by Axer on April 15, 2014 7:06AM
    Axer. Main tank and Leader of Crush it! (NA-EP highly skilled trials guild)