Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Veteran Rank

• michaelpatrickjonesnub18_ESO
    There shouldn't be veteran anything. It was a bad idea.

Cap should have been 50, with 25 more levels over the coming months.

XP should have been gained much slower. Really, you open a chest in this game and your XP goes through the roof.

More content is what people want. Not vet levels.

You'll never keep up with the speed at which players finish games, but the worse thing a developer can do to counter it, is tie them down by giving them treadmill chores.

Aion Online does a lot of that. It's an effective, but nasty way to slow people down.
  • skarvika
    skarvika
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I personally enjoy the quests. They're only annoying if you're trying to power level. I like to do pvp too; I gained about 20-30k off a few hours of pvp. Those are more or less the only ways to really boost your rank unfortunately.
    QQing is a full time job
  • sminkiottone
    sminkiottone
    Soul Shriven
    My problems with VRs :

1) You no longer need to explore, how many times I reached a POI just to find out I got no xp and no new quests ? why should I bother ?

2) Mobs gives nothing, I now kill only the mobs I cannot dodge or are important for the quest.

2a) Point 2 brings a new problem I experienced before VR but now it became worst, have you ever noticed that most people will wait behind you to aggro mobs and then just pass by ? it happened a lot to me, and it bothers me soo much.

I think I will do mostly PvP because it's not that slower than PvE and way more fun, I did 10% in 2h yesterday and with the next patch it will be even better, maybe 25/30% ?
    Templar from the Nord
  • Nickdorlandb16_ESO
    Nickdorlandb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    People should stop complaigning, this is by far the best system any MMO if played had..

In other MMO's you hit 50/60 whatever and then there is endgame you explore a few times till it gets boring.. NOW you get the same, but instead of 50 is the SOFT cap, instead of HARD cap.. You get to explore different parts of tamriel, and also have another 10 ( difficult levels, altough they go pretty fast ) to enjoy the SOFT cap.. Untill you hit the HARD cap..

Some people dont realise, the most fun part of the game is the leveling, exploring, try different builds get new skills.. is what 50% of a MMO is fun for.. ( Only 90% of the people are to ignorant to realize this )
    Edited by Nickdorlandb16_ESO on April 29, 2014 3:59PM
  • Asava
    Asava
    ✭✭✭
    Different builds with unleveled skills will get your tore up from the floor up in VR. Mob density was not changed so there's time that you'll have a pack of 3 or 4 on you. If you kite too wide then you'll have 2-3 packs and you're dead.
  • dmannz
    dmannz
    Soul Shriven
    Darastix wrote: »
    I hope it stays this way, VR10 is supposed to mean something, and not obtained within weeks after launch.

dude were did you crawl out from.... VR10 was obtained weeks after launch people exploited and mob grinded they didn't do quest........ quest are unless in VR mode the bosses are so op and you have to abandon them or try get a friend to help VR quests should all be solo.......
  • Darkmaulis
    I agree with the original poster, you should be able to level (Reasonably)
    by grinding mobs quests PVP dungeons etc...

Sometimes I like to just grind mobs for glyphs or mats and wouldn't mind a bit more experience doing it.I don't think the OP is being unreasonable.People like to level in different ways for a variety of reasons.... TBH I stopped leveling my V1 and started a new toon.. I hate quest grinding so started over with a new toon and am doing a new trade.
  • karldavy149b16_ESO
    karldavy149b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    i have to say when i saw the shear amount of xp ... i got a chub .... finally an mmo someone like me will not fly thro and be at max lvl in a weekend ... im sick of playing games i enjoy but get to endgame real fast i hold a record somewhat on sto getting to 50 in 7/12 hours ... admittedly that was using the double xp events ... but still

its taken me 3 days to get from v1 to v2 and its awesome ... this game throws so many distractions at you it doesnt even fee very tasking ... and lets face it the longer it takes u to get to v10 the better as all those sob traits take forever anyway .
  • Matrinka
    Matrinka
    Soul Shriven
    What to do about the fact that quests do not provide enough xp?
  • peter.harkessnrb18_ESO
    Be nice if my VR character scaled like VR mobs do. First solo quest with a reasonable boss at the end of it one shot me on first attempt. Solo dungeons might be soloable but with significant effort. Pre VR I used to look forward to public dungeons now I am beginning to dread them. Risk vs. reward seems to be off and at VR1 the game has definitely become less fun. I don't mind the grind but I do mind every step of the world being annoying/difficult/unrewarding
  • Iceborg
    Iceborg
    veteran ranks just broke this game... i'll come back in 1 year when there is actual endgame content other than 1 war and 3 dungeons. game sucks atm or i could make a alt and experience all this mind numbing 3 factions worth of mind numbing questing over again or the few small dungeons that there are craglorn wont change much at all to little to start with even less coming in close future .. waste of my money on this game. v10 sucks took long enough to grind until i realised just run straight to endboss kill/loot /turn in area quest move on just simply skip all mobs they are pointless pixels. dont even drop anything of value... i can see craglorn mobs/bosses dropping white gear to its funny the drop system was not thought out at all same as the food materials drop system same as every other system tbh. lacking so much in this game
    Edited by Iceborg on May 2, 2014 11:40AM
  • KingDasDing
    KingDasDing
    ✭✭
    I have no problem with powerquesting at Veteran Ranks. But WTF the mobs are so friggin strong.. I am now stuck at VR3 in the main quest in the 3rd Zone of Daggerfall. How the hell am I supposed to solo 15 veteran Mobs? Even attacking a pack of 3 is like suicide for me. And i am playing a pretty tanky build...
    Veteran Ranks are friggin not soloabe and i am mostly a soloplayer... My suggestion is just to weaken the veteran mobs by 30% or so. The rest is kinda fine to me.
    Edited by KingDasDing on May 3, 2014 12:28AM
  • JexTex
    JexTex
    ✭✭
    Iceborg wrote: »
    veteran ranks just broke this game... i'll come back in 1 year when there is actual endgame content other than 1 war and 3 dungeons. game sucks atm or i could make a alt and experience all this mind numbing 3 factions worth of mind numbing questing over again or the few small dungeons that there are craglorn wont change much at all to little to start with even less coming in close future .. waste of my money on this game. v10 sucks took long enough to grind until i realised just run straight to endboss kill/loot /turn in area quest move on just simply skip all mobs they are pointless pixels. dont even drop anything of value... i can see craglorn mobs/bosses dropping white gear to its funny the drop system was not thought out at all same as the food materials drop system same as every other system tbh. lacking so much in this game

Havto mostly agree ;[ I really want to enjoy the game but so much is broken...the veteran system is a joke...the treadmill style questing is lame esp after 1-50... I understand they wanted to make it a solo style as well but imo they did so to much...game feels almost empty with just bots running around lol
  • whsprwind
    whsprwind
    ✭✭✭
    VR6 here. Am I the only person who thinks leveling is too fast?

1 month into release, /played for around 10 days (and I work 9-6 weekdays) but I still can't get enough of the game. I often look back and go "wow I'm VR6 already?

This game has too much content and you miss out all the fun if you prefer to grind. I don't know about other MMOs, the only other MMO I ever played was DAoC and that was 10 years ago. I had a focus pull enchanter and I sure did grind. I believe i powereleveled no less than 10 guildies from 1-50. This game is not like that

To truly enjoy this game, you have to drop the grinding mentality and explore the world that is Tamriel. Stop opening the XP bar and reminding yourself of how far the goal is, you will reach there before you know it. Find ways to "progress your character". Train your other skills. Keep deconstructing loot and watch your trade skills grow. I put 2 skills that I want to train and mostly use 3 skills for PvE which I believe is not a cookie-cutter build and it works, contrary to what some people believe. I'm a DK and the 3 essential skills are Green Dragon blood, Invigorating drain and 1 stamina-based attack of the weapon I am training. I hit 1-50 using 2h, and I made 1h/s and Bow and DW to 50 50 49 respectively through VR content. I solo public dungeons easily this way.

Killing mobs don't give any xp for the weapon you're training but turning quests do. Keep a seconday bar full of skills you wanna train and use that when turning in quests. Trust me, when you see your character grow you will continue to love the game.

I have not even mentioned PvP (because I totally suck at it) and then there's Veteran dungeons that take more than just equipment and OP chars to beat. No other MMO is like that, you have to see through the difference to grow to like it. That said, this MMO will not be everyone's cup of tea. It is after all an Elder Scrolls game.
    NA(PC) - EP
    - Dragon Knight Amuro X

"Of course you're a victim... what are you going to do about it? Transcend your own suffering and be a good person!" -jbp
  • JosephChip
    JosephChip
    ✭✭✭
    Basically the people complaining about VR ranks are the ones who want to cap their level as fast as possible. Just because they like being at the top and powerplay. Then they will probably complain about lack of progression.
    I would know, I am one those people.
    Edited by JosephChip on May 5, 2014 2:20AM
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    VR leveling via the Cyrodiil city quests along with som Fighters Guild Bounty quests and Scouting Report quests is an exceptionally slow way to level. I went from VR1 to VR3 by completing these quests multiple times over many days. Most of them are quicker to complete than the quests in other zones and they reward the same XP as quests in zones before Coldharbour. I completed all of the quests in The Rift as a VR2 and they only granted me about 1/3 of the XP needed for VR

After hitting VR3, I have been mixing Cyrodiil quests with Coldharbour quests. The Coldharbour quests offer some very nice XP; but most of them require 2-3 times the effort and time as other quests so they should offer more XP. I am about 80% complete towards VR4 with the last third of Coldharbour and Cyrodiil quests taking me the rest of the way within the next couple of days. I am looking forward to reaching the Veteran 1-5 zones in DC so I can speed up my leveling again. And I am still running out of bag space despite maxing it out and upping my bank slots to 150 (so far). Gotta love crafting!
    Edited by LonePirate on May 5, 2014 1:30PM
  • Kriptt
    Kriptt
    Every single system of the game is full of little flaw. I don't even know where to start, veteran rank are a real cheap reuse of the game that feel like a someone just laughing at your face when you try to cut a tree with a spoon. The economic system is completely broken as well, quest system is the most annoying system that had never been created, even Terra did a better job (and trust me, it is a reference in "don't do this 10 years old MMO quest system"). Also it *** me reading people telling you to go somewhere else, do something else, because we CAN'T ! in normal elder scroll, if you want to level up your acrobatic you can can jump off a roof 20x time, that is something else then leveling my character level. This elder scroll is the worst of all of them because the only thing you can do is quest grinding in order to level up, specially when you have already completed the main story. They just throw you in the other alliance, reduce mob exp by 10 times and says "that should be fine, we have shipped a post beta game with more than 200 hours of gameplay". And quest also comes with bugs, but I won't talk about bugs like props miss placed all over the place ,unaccurate mini map and a complete set of sign and feedback that are just a joke named immersion loll (see I laugh), to me there are no QA at zenimax it is oblivious. If there are some, fired their lead, even the main path is bugged as !@#!@.
    Edited by Kriptt on May 8, 2014 12:14PM
  • Kriptt
    Kriptt
    Side note: if you have a normal life, VR can't be completed with playing 2 - 3 hours a day (and if you skip one day you are completely screwd). You will never end it before the VR 12, that is just another flaw to me.
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    JosephChip wrote: »
    Basically the people complaining about VR ranks are the ones who want to cap their level as fast as possible. Just because they like being at the top and powerplay. Then they will probably complain about lack of progression.

I think you're mistaken there. Most complaints regarding VR are about the lack of a viable alternative to doing the other factions' quests (and the insane difficulty of some bosses).
    That's what they need to resolve somehow, the time it takes is fine.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • strefilb14_ESO
      JosephChip wrote: »

This is simply not true. I want to enjoy the veteran content, but when i run into a pack of 3 mobs, the best i can really hope for is to kill 1, die, respawn and then kill the other 2 and that, my friend, is not a recipe for enjoyable gameplay. I have tried a number of different builds, spent way too much gold on respecs and I always end up with the same result. Hell I even started an alt and leveled him to V2 thinking it was that NB was just too weak for veteran stuff, but I run into the exact same problem in exactly the same place.
      I see that some folks have no problem, but I don't know why. My guess is they distributed stats differently and there is no way for me to change that. Every single friend I started this game with has stopped playing and gone back to LOTRO so grouping really isn't something I'm interested in. I am starting to think this game isn't for me, no matter how much I enjoy the 1-50 experience.
    • Madirishman76
      Madirishman76
      Soul Shriven
      I think most people completely misunderstood the OP point. His point was never that it was too hard or takes too long to get VR. His point was that it takes alot of players from the game when they feel forced to do something they don't really enjoy to progress. Some people love questing and thats fine but others leveled by grinding mobs/dungeons or doing anchors etc etc. He is right they need more ways to gain XP in endgame, it doesn't have to be any easier or faster just more ways to do it so people can play the way they want. Ive been a TES fan scince Morrowind and IMO what makes these games great is exactly that you can play however you want and its most often productive seems like endgame doesnt give you those options.
    • UnderKingRhun
      UnderKingRhun
      ✭✭
      I think most people completely misunderstood the OP point. His point was never that it was too hard or takes too long to get VR. His point was that it takes alot of players from the game when they feel forced to do something they don't really enjoy to progress. Some people love questing and thats fine but others leveled by grinding mobs/dungeons or doing anchors etc etc. He is right they need more ways to gain XP in endgame, it doesn't have to be any easier or faster just more ways to do it so people can play the way they want. Ive been a TES fan scince Morrowind and IMO what makes these games great is exactly that you can play however you want and its most often productive seems like endgame doesnt give you those options.

agreed, both sides completely miss the point. the only problem i have with VR, 4 atm, is having my skills not register or even hits, or all my passives resetting -_- . The "play how you want" stops at 50 as well. I dont care about the "perfect" build, when the build i had was completely viable , fun and great for solo/group activities, have had to respec a few times just to be able to solo vet stuff. I prefer solo while leveling, group activities at cap, but thats just me.
    • huntgod_ESO
      huntgod_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      So the complaint is that you finish the progression for your homeland and then have veteran levels that allow you to experience the other two storylines without having to roll an alt. I personally love it.

The xp curve was a bit daunting, but you are effectively playing 1-50 again, twice on the same character. Making it a soft cap and hard capping at VR10 seems like a decent solution to me. The difference between VR1-10 is pretty slim, there are some nice gear choices at 10, but you are competitive at VR1 and could stop there.

I no longer pay any attention to the xp bar and am just enjoying exploring DC, since I started in EB. I also plan to enjoy the protectorate, I am halfway through VR3 at the moment and it's been pretty smooth.
      --- HuntGod ---
      Officer of the Unrepentant
      www.unrepentantgaming.com
    • dgroutb16_ESO
      Well i did find a quest hub in Cyrodiil while running with a failing raid... half the members decided to hang around this small town and i was offered 8-10 easy quests that i completed in 30 mins... I was getting 4k XP at VR2 per quest...

Was great untill a Pact VR10 appeared out of nowhere and slaughtered us all in 30 seconds... the place seems to be permanently guarded now by one side or the other so ive not been back solo :(

Im guessing that theres other quest hubs like this, but i havnt found them yet... I really hoping that they help give a change of pace... I really like questing... but the VR levels are getting me down now... VR4 now... another 500 odd quests to go :(

• Stratti
      Stratti
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I think people are over complicating this discussion. If you spoke to all vets out there and asked them is the time to level tuned too high, I would imagine most would say yes. I mean for me it's stretching out maybe 24hrs game time + which may be about a week for 1 level.

ZOS I love the veteran ranks and the grind is awesome just in my view in needs to be reduced 15% or so
    • LonePirate
      LonePirate
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Well i did find a quest hub in Cyrodiil while running with a failing raid... half the members decided to hang around this small town and i was offered 8-10 easy quests that i completed in 30 mins... I was getting 4k XP at VR2 per quest...

Was great untill a Pact VR10 appeared out of nowhere and slaughtered us all in 30 seconds... the place seems to be permanently guarded now by one side or the other so ive not been back solo :(

Im guessing that theres other quest hubs like this, but i havnt found them yet... I really hoping that they help give a change of pace... I really like questing... but the VR levels are getting me down now... VR4 now... another 500 odd quests to go :(

There are five city/town quest hubs currently in Cyrodiil. All offer 10 quests which can be repeated daily.
      1. Bruma - in the northern section of the zone, south of Dragonclaw.
      2. Cheydinhal - in the northeastern/eastern section, not far from Farragut.
      3. Chorral & Weynon Priory - in the western section, south of Rayles.
      4. Cropsford - in the southeast section, northeast of Bloodmayne.
      5. Vlastarus - in the western/southwestern section, not too far from Brindle and Black Boot.

There are also a few one-time only deliver or go to quests offered by various NPCs scattered across the emptiness of Cyrodiil.

Once you reach Fighters Guild level 9, you can unlock Fighters Guild bounty quests in Cyrodiil. You obtain these from the Guild HQ at one of your faction's gate areas and they require you to kill 10 goblins, Black Daggers, Grey Vipers or Shadowed Path members. These can be repeated as well.
    • Atratus
      Atratus
      I hit VR1 3 days ago (roughly 7 weeks after early access). I play for an avg of 3 hours a day most days, more when I can. So far I've been happy with my progress. I play the amount of time I can (full-time job, full-time college, wife, & child).

I was happy to see the increase in xp for VR mobs in the latest patch, and they reverted VR mobs back to their initial difficulty. I was really sadfaced when I found my first Master chest in the VR zone, picked it, and received zero xp. This really kills my exploration (one of the things I enjoy most). What's my point in going to places unknown to discover new POI for zero experience? No xp from chests, no xp from exploration. I get that VR is a grind, and I embrace that, but I really do not enjoy losing my sense of exploration for purpose in VR content. I hope Zenimax changes this. I hope other players will provide similar feedback.
    • smokes
      smokes
      ✭✭✭
      Darastix wrote: »
      I hope it stays this way, VR10 is supposed to mean something, and not obtained within weeks after launch.

Lol, tell that to the guys who grinded vr10 in 2 days to dominate in pvp, then grinded to vr12 in a couple hours to again dominate in pvp

Everyone else is stuck with low replay ability VR grind across other faction content that should've been purely optional for the skill points and quest gold, not mandatory to get into adventure zones.

Veteran rank levelling shouldn't have entered the game until craglorn went live.

• cyril.monkewitzneb18_ESO

This is simply not true. I want to enjoy the veteran content, but when i run into a pack of 3 mobs, the best i can really hope for is to kill 1, die, respawn and then kill the other 2 and that, my friend, is not a recipe for enjoyable gameplay. I have tried a number of different builds, spent way too much gold on respecs and I always end up with the same result. Hell I even started an alt and leveled him to V2 thinking it was that NB was just too weak for veteran stuff, but I run into the exact same problem in exactly the same place.
      I see that some folks have no problem, but I don't know why. My guess is they distributed stats differently and there is no way for me to change that. Every single friend I started this game with has stopped playing and gone back to LOTRO so grouping really isn't something I'm interested in. I am starting to think this game isn't for me, no matter how much I enjoy the 1-50 experience.

Oh just please don't nerf the game. The challenge is the fun part.

"the best i can really hope for is to kill 1, die, respawn and then kill the other 2"

- ROFLMAO. ltp. Also, seeing very many archer NBs, it's probably the most used and least efficient dps build in the game, wouldn't be surprised if this was your build; keep that bow for cases where you must stay back or solo a pushbackable mini-boss^^, tbh with a nice melee build the first mob should die before the other two even have time to hit you.

"My guess is they distributed stats differently and there is no way for me to change that."

- I believe you have been misinformed. Plus it's extremely cheap imh.
    • LonePirate
      LonePirate
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Oh just please don't nerf the game. The challenge is the fun part.

"the best i can really hope for is to kill 1, die, respawn and then kill the other 2"

- ROFLMAO. ltp. Also, seeing very many archer NBs, it's probably the most used and least efficient dps build in the game, wouldn't be surprised if this was your build; keep that bow for cases where you must stay back or solo a pushbackable mini-boss^^, tbh with a nice melee build the first mob should die before the other two even have time to hit you.

"My guess is they distributed stats differently and there is no way for me to change that."

- I believe you have been misinformed. Plus it's extremely cheap imh.

Have you even played the Veteran content of this game? What skill are you using that regularly or always takes down a veteran mob with 2K or more health before his two companions even land a hit on you? I know some people might get lucky with a Silver Bolt/Shard to a Daedra given that minuscule banishment chance; but that only happens very, very infrequently. So what skill(s) are you using that kills one of these VR mobs before the others can react? Please enlighten us as you share your mastery and knowledge.

I swear this game has fostered an unholy mixture of false machismo and falsehoods.