Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Veteran Rank

• Dragonetti
    Yes, they should make everything happen quickly so that no achievement means anything.
    “Never let your sense of morals stand in the way of doing what's right”
  • Lagoz
    Lagoz
    If you complete the whole V2 zone (quests+events+bosses) you'll end up with 80-85% of the veteran rank. Considering mobs give 45 or 85 VP you are looking at 2000-3000 mobs to grind for just V2-V3 and this gets worse and worse since the mob VP doesn't increase with veteran ranks.

At the current state veteran ranks are not fun, they are horrid work.
  • Yankee
    Yankee
    ✭✭✭✭
    I guess I do not see why it matters so much to quickly advance from VR1 to VR10. You already have most all skill lines maxed and the attribute increases slow way down since they now come from gear only.

My NB is about 2/3 towards VR2, and from beta I know towards VR3 I will probably need to start going into the PVP zone because the PVE content may not have enough points.

For me, VR levels is when I slow the leveling push down and start to focus some more on by blacksmith/woodworking/clothing skills, which are all at about 30.

I am killing mobs while questing for the materials, not the vet XP. I still enjoy the quests.

VR1 is also where I respec my skillpoints, freeing up 40 or so that I wasted on skills/passive I decided I will not use. I put those into crafting skills I may not have filled out.

I will also roll my first couple alts for crafting storage mules if they ever fix the dissappearing bank slot issue.

Now if/when they release content that you have to be VR10 to enter, I can see a problem.

Otherwise, I do not understand the hurry between VR1 and VR10.

• LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Is there anyone around who played on the PTS before the game went live? If so, did the XP from veteran mods get nerfed at some point? These absurdly low XP mob amounts seem like the handiwork of a PTS player who complained about grinding or who found a hidden exploit and grid to protect it by seeking a nerf to an alternative leveling practice.
  • Yankee
    Yankee
    ✭✭✭✭
    LonePirate wrote: »
    Is there anyone around who played on the PTS before the game went live? If so, did the XP from veteran mods get nerfed at some point? These absurdly low XP mob amounts seem like the handiwork of a PTS player who complained about grinding or who found a hidden exploit and grid to protect it by seeking a nerf to an alternative leveling practice.

I think they did it to slow down people getting to VR10. They do not have any content ready for those people who have "beat the game" in a month.

Then there will be 1000 WTF ZOS QQ threads about having nothing to do.

Edited by Yankee on April 16, 2014 2:10PM
  • dsaras
    dsaras
    I don't care about the time needed to achieve veteran ranks too much, tho i think that current exp rates are a bit overkill. I don't like that you have to do other factions quests to level veteran ranks. I hate this to be honest, because i want to save those quests for leveling my alts. If there would be a different zone not related to opposing factions like the coldharbor zone is only for lvl 50 + players that would be ok. But now i have to choose between leveling my main character to veteran 10 and not leaving any fresh content for my alts or to halt progressing with my main character to conserve opposing faction quest lines for my alt.
    Edited by dsaras on April 16, 2014 3:15PM
  • Mie87
    Mie87
    ✭✭✭
    dsaras wrote: »
    I don't care about the time needed to achieve veteran ranks too much, tho i think that current exp rates are a bit overkill. I don't like that you have to do other factions quests to level veteran ranks. I hate this to be honest, because i want to save those quests for leveling my alts. If there would be a different zone not related to opposing factions like the coldharbor zone is only for lvl 50 + players that would be ok. But now i have to choose between leveling my main character to veteran 10 and not leaving any fresh content for my alts or to halt progressing with my main character to conserve opposing faction quest lines for my alt.

Exactly how I feel, I really wish there was an alternative.
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @dsaras Have you tried the Cyrodiil PVE quests for leveling your character to VR10?
  • Mie87
    Mie87
    ✭✭✭
    @dsaras Have you tried the Cyrodiil PVE quests for leveling your character to VR10?

It would be awesome this were a viable alternative.

• LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Mie87 Are you saying that the Cyrodiil quests don't contribute to the VR XP? Or are you hoping that they do? I honestly do not know if they do or don't. I only know that they scale with the player during the journey to 50.
  • onibubu
    onibubu
    ✭✭
    @Mie87 Are you saying that the Cyrodiil quests don't contribute to the VR XP? Or are you hoping that they do? I honestly do not know if they do or don't. I only know that they scale with the player during the journey to 50.

I did a couple ones of them today and no, they seem to not scale beyound lvl 50. At that rate i would have to do thousands of quests in Cyrodil just to get from v1 to v2.
    SirAndy wrote: »
    If i'm not mistaken, you don't have to be VR10 to have fun playing this game ...
    ;-)
    Clearly comes from a person who have had a pvp groupfight against a few vr5-7s.... these guys just rip through a "normal" group like butter.

As I actualy bought this game for pvp it is mandatory for me to reach vr10.
  • Menacer
    Menacer
    ✭✭
    Dragonetti wrote: »
    Yes, they should make everything happen quickly so that no achievement means anything.

Where in my original post does is say that it takes too long?

Oh yeah, nowhere. I said its a quest grind to end all quest grinds.

I am VR6 now, and Veteran Ranks are literally the most boring thing I have ever done in a MMO. EVER. I have played a lot of MMO's.

VR's are tacked on, lazy design. The only reason they are there is because Zeni has no endgame. Period.

Menacer
  • Ragefist
    Ragefist
    ✭✭✭✭
    Menacer wrote: »

I am VR6 now, and Veteran Ranks are literally the most boring thing I have ever done in a MMO. EVER. I have played a lot of MMO's.

VR's are tacked on, lazy design.

Apparently you never tried "daily quests" in WoW and its clones, then you would know true boredom and lazy design.

Plethora of quests in ESO to advance is a bliss compared to doing same couple of quests every day

RPG games will always be about quests, if you wish just to kill mindlessly mobs, you should play Diablo 3

I for one am perfectly happy with quests in ESO, the quality of storytelling and immersion is above anything I have seen in mmo genre (in fact im so in love with it, that I havent even tackled the PvP and dungeons)

• Mie87
    Mie87
    ✭✭✭

From what I hear only the quests in pvp give some but it's not a viable way to level veteran rank.
    That's why I'm hoping that killing other players, taking fortresses etc will also become a way to level veteran rank.
    I want to do the adventure zones but not at the expense of being forced to do the other alliances' zones,
    It will spoil the fun for my alts.

• liquid_wolf
    liquid_wolf
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if Veteran Rank will reset when a new expansion is released.

"Now you can get to level 60, and all your veteran ranks have been reset for the new content!"

Just a thought.
  • patrikblb16_ESO
    patrikblb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Reached veteran rank 2 days ago, and for *** sake this game got so *** booring...1-50 was amazing to play, veteran rank well its just boring. Monsters are way too hard and gives way too little exp, I'm sick of doing quests already.

If the difficulty stays when my 30 days is out I certainly wont continue, it's not fun enough to pay for anymore.
  • Violatorrose
    Violatorrose
    ✭✭
    Loviotor wrote: »
    It is the people that grind out to max level and then complain about it that ruined almost every MMO since Everquest came out. There is more to the games than the end-game content and raiding. Half the enjoyment is supposed to be the journey. The fact that the game has only been out for 3 days officially and 8 days of early access and there are already people at max level and complaining about content or whatever else just proves that they make this stuff too easy anymore.

The whole purpose of the game is to enjoy the journey, experience the content, and work your way to the end-game. It's not supposed to be about rushing to the end of the game and then deciding that there's not enough to do or that it's not rewarding enough.

All of the folks that bum-rush through content to get cap level and then come here to complain about the lack of reward, lack of content or whatever else are the problem and just need to go back to playing that other game that I refuse to even mention because of the feel of taint and filth that it leaves me with.

this :) couldn't have put it better myself :D
  • Genev
    Genev
    ✭✭
    I'm padding my VR gain with what I get from PvP, but I'm in a hardcore PvP guild and my average gain per night is 500k to 1mill VP, so thats not too bad.
  • Mie87
    Mie87
    ✭✭✭
    Genev wrote: »
    I'm padding my VR gain with what I get from PvP, but I'm in a hardcore PvP guild and my average gain per night is 500k to 1mill VP, so thats not too bad.

That doesn't sound bad at all!
    Would you say it's viable to casually level VR through pvp?

• Genev
    Genev
    ✭✭
    Mie87 wrote: »
    Genev wrote: »

That doesn't sound bad at all!
    Would you say it's viable to casually level VR through pvp?
    I have no idea what the gain is for the average zerg I'm afraid, I assume it's less, but even for the hardcore guilds I wouldn't consider AvA as a way to level without PvE.
    At least not if you want to get to VR10 anytime soon.

And when I say "night" I mean starting at 8-9'ish pm and pretty much play until it either gets too boring or I get too tired, which can be anything from midnight until 4 am.
    And constant fighting during those hours.
  • stungateb14_ESO
    stungateb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Ragefist wrote: »
    Menacer wrote: »

VR's are tacked on, lazy design.

Apparently you never tried "daily quests" in WoW and its clones, then you would know true boredom and lazy design.

Plethora of quests in ESO to advance is a bliss compared to doing same couple of quests every day

RPG games will always be about quests, if you wish just to kill mindlessly mobs, you should play Diablo 3

I for one am perfectly happy with quests in ESO, the quality of storytelling and immersion is above anything I have seen in mmo genre (in fact im so in love with it, that I havent even tackled the PvP and dungeons)

In WOW dailies only became lazy when the casuals ruined them at first they had purpose i,e; attunements to access content. If you think you need quests to reach veteran ranks you're sorely mistaken.
  • Mie87
    Mie87
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care if it takes a month to get veteran rank 10, as long as I can do it through pvp.
  • matthewameluxenub17_ESO
    Xithian wrote: »
    Honestly, anyone that's quitting so soon over something like this is just going to quit after capping out at VR10 anyway. If you're so addicted to fast progression that you can't take it then you're just going to be crushed when you hit the end.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. If the game is "boring" at VR1, what is going to change to make it suddenly exciting at VR10? If you don't like questing for the sake of questing, pvp for the sake of pvp, then I'm not sure what you plan on doing at VR10.
  • Eormenric
    Eormenric
    ✭✭✭
    I'm about to hit VR5 (maybe) and I'm so bored with this game. This Veteran Rank content has killed what enjoyment I had. It had murdered grotesquely the feeling of achievement. It has taken the other parts of ESO that I missed, and made me want to give them back and say "Keep it. I don't want it."

I am not surprised at all if people are quitting even at VR1. The game becomes even more unilateral. There's one direction and that's grinding. Whether that be in Cyrodiil, mobs, quests, dungeons--pick your poison. It's all boring. It's all lame. And it has no sense of accomplishment whatsoever.

You don't directly get stronger from Veteran Ranks which is the number one problem here. Of course people are going to quit at this point. "Okay, I just did an entire area. I want to tear my eyes out. I want to murder everything and everything. I hate the world. Okay, and... ding. VR2. What do I get? *Looks around* Um... oh, wait, mail! A costume... A COSTUME?! Let's see how it looks, I guess... *** HIDEOUS. WILL ALL REWARDS BE THIS UNREWARDING FOR VETERAN RANK? *Uninstall*" (Short answer: yes.)

With each login, I'm not even enjoying myself. In fact, after I hit VR5 (if that does happen), I'm probably going to be playing an hour a day. It's just so damn boring and empty. The bugs are a nuisance and they aren't getting checked like lower levels. ESO is failing on both fronts of MMO and Elder Scrolls by trying to shove the entire content down our throats in one character and making it NECESSARY.
    Reached veteran rank 2 days ago, and for *** sake this game got so *** booring...1-50 was amazing to play, veteran rank well its just boring. Monsters are way too hard and gives way too little exp, I'm sick of doing quests already.

If the difficulty stays when my 30 days is out I certainly wont continue, it's not fun enough to pay for anymore.

Agreed. Except it's not difficult (as previous posters have pointed it), it's tedious. Time-consuming, unrewarding, and tedious is Veteran Rank.
  • Malediktus
    Malediktus
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if Veteran Rank will reset when a new expansion is released.

"Now you can get to level 60, and all your veteran ranks have been reset for the new content!"

Just a thought.
    I doubt it. The upcoming map will raise level cap to VR12. Expansions will probably just increase this further.
    @Malediktus --- Ebonheart Pact, EU-Megaserver
  • patrikblb16_ESO
    patrikblb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Where is ZOS in this?
    Havent heard a single word on this from ZOS, 15 days left then I'm out for good if this *** stays.
  • Allchix
    Allchix
    Soul Shriven
    I just made it to VR 2 and I see myself playing much less since I became lvl 50.

I don't even mind that we have to keep questing through the different factions, I actually like that.

But I don't understand, why they took away the XP for exploring, treasure chests etc? It feels like leveling from 1-50, just worse. Where is the "play as you wish" they had implemented ( fairly limited but still) with exploration XP?

Not just that, but I find the difficulty a bit too much for playing alone ( I envy everyone who can play with a friend). I still get my quests done, but I die quite frequently, and I am scared to attack mob groups of 3.

Then, after finishing 2-3 quests I feel so exhausted from the increased difficulty, that I rather switch off and watch some TV or something.

I know its supposed to be hard, since we are "veterans" and that some people like it that way, but for me its less enjoyment now and more stress.
    Edited by Allchix on April 20, 2014 4:23AM
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Allchix wrote: »
    I just made it to VR 2 and I see myself playing much less since I became lvl 50.

I don't even mind that we have to keep questing through the different factions, I actually like that.

But I don't understand, why they took away the XP for exploring, treasure chests etc? It feels like leveling from 1-50, just worse. Where is the "play as you wish" they had implemented ( fairly limited but still) with exploration XP?

Not just that, but I find the difficulty a bit too much for playing alone ( I envy everyone who can play with a friend). I still get my quests done, but I die quite frequently, and I am scared to attack mob groups of 3.

Then, after finishing 2-3 quests I feel so exhausted from the increased difficulty, that I rather switch off and watch some TV or something.

I know its supposed to be hard, since we are "veterans" and that some people like it that way, but for me its less enjoyment now and more stress.

I just hit VR1 today and I share your sentiments for the above with the exception being that I haven't yet traveled to the VR1 zones in DC. The number of XP needed to hit 50 was around 137K. So, the XP needed for VR2 is slightly more than triple that. It's absurd, if not painful. I know this game needs a time sink but this is ridiculous.

I spent most of today bouncing around Cyrodiil as I specifically saved the Welcome to Cyrodiil PVP training quest until I hit Veteran status to see if I would receive XP from it and I did, thankfully. Of course, the lack of XP from killing PVE mobs in Cyrodiil really stinks. At least I can continue leveling my Fighters Guild skill in Cyrodiil as the kills still count even towards the Guild body count even if no XP is given. Just another 750 to go before I can unlock Dawnbreaker! If you spend much time in Cyrodiil questing or dungeon diving, I would recommend picking up the Fighters Guild skill which unlocks FG bounty quests in Cyrodiil. The XP from those counts toward the VR totals fortunately.

After hearing some horror stories about the pain of questing in VR land, I stopped questing with about 6-8 quests remaining in Eastmarch. I did nothing but grind mobs for my FG skill in The Rift and complete daily PVE quests in Cyrodiil to take me from level 38 up to VR1. Since hitting VR1, I have been finishing up some quests in Cyrodiil (which count as XP for Veteran ranks) and working on the main quest, of which I just received the level 43 Messages Across Tamriel quest. The XP from those quests count as VR XP also, thankfully. I still have some Eastmarch quests to complete along with all of The Rift and Coldharbour. Hopefully there is enough XP from all of those quests to push me to VR2 as I am not quite at the 10% completion mark there and it is very slow going. The lack of XP from exploring and opening chests is mind-boggling for me. Why have an Exploration trait for Armor if it becomes meaningless as soon as you hit VR1? Between that and the lack of mob XP, the Veteran Ranks are going to be very slow and boring without a doubt - and I say this as someone who really enjoys the questing.
  • Lagoz
    Lagoz
    I took a week off from the game after hitting V3. Started a new toon yesterday and having a blast again. The problems with V-ranks are as follows:

1) The VP per mob dropped from 450/850 to 45/85 was immense. You need to skip every single mob you can because they are completely worthless. You won't be able to level up new skills because the game thinks VP points equal to XP (the XP from lv45 mob was around 350~~ compared to 45). So you will be spending 10x of time levelling your new skills.

2) The zones won't give you enough VP to level even if you do every single event. So you are forced to grind, see 1)

3) The public dungeons are not doable solo any longer. You will need an epic gear with epic cookie cutter build to manage them and even duoing can be quite difficult. Which again relates to 1)

4) Having to complete every single event in a zone kills the replayability of the game. See 1)

5) Your character progression is pretty much halted and the differences between earlier VP gear is so little that you are not growing in power until reaching latter ranks.

6) Dungeons are far too challenging for people with V1 gear. If the dungeon really is V1-V5 it should be possible to complete it as V1. (Scaling is completely missing).
    Edited by Lagoz on April 22, 2014 2:04PM
  • Mie87
    Mie87
    ✭✭✭
    Lagoz wrote: »
    I took a week off from the game after hitting V3. Started a new toon yesterday and having a blast again. The problems with V-ranks are as follows:

1) The VP per mob dropped from 450/850 to 45/85 was immense. You need to skip every single mob you can because they are completely worthless. You won't be able to level up new skills because the game thinks VP points equal to XP (the XP from lv45 mob was around 350~~ compared to 45). So you will be spending 10x of time levelling your new skills.

2) The zones won't give you enough VP to level even if you do every single event. So you are forced to grind, see 1)

3) The public dungeons are not doable solo any longer. You will need an epic gear with epic cookie cutter build to manage them and even duoing can be quite difficult. Which again relates to 1)

4) Having to complete every single event in a zone kills the replayability of the game. See 1)

5) Your character progression is pretty much halted and the differences between earlier VP gear is so little that you are not growing in power until reaching latter ranks.

6) Dungeons are far too challenging for people with V1 gear. If the dungeon really is V1-V5 it should be possible to complete it as V1. (Scaling is completely missing).

This really puts me off.
    I guess I'll just go level VR in pvp.