The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Bank Account Being Charged?

• Gravvy
    Gravvy
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom So let's say I don't have any money. Let's also say that I was laid off from my job this last week. Let's also say that because of that I DON'T HAVE ANY MONEY. I was promised on the store page on the date of purchasing that the game included 30 days free access. There was no mention of a credit card required to access the FREE 30 days. I am really upset about this. Where can I get a refund?
  • Quidel
    Quidel
    xDevlinx21 wrote: »
    Thannik wrote: »
    People really do complain about anything and everything. ZOS, you guys are doing a great job bringing a single player franchise to the MMO world, and great job on your first ever MMO.

This game reminds me a lot of Asheron's Call. A game that i've been paying $14.95/month off and on since 1998 (okay, it was 9.99/month back then). I bring this up as a point, that's also another subscription MMO which requires payment authorizations before playing your first 30 days. And it's one of the oldest! Not every company does it the WoW way (to whom referenced "the biggest MMO out there", for better or for worst.

Don't let the chorus of QQ bring you down. Just remember all the positive people are too busy playing. - or patiently waiting for the game to patch. :)

You're an idiot. Not everyone can afford to pay the full amount of a sub. I can afford to, but I didn't want to until my next payday when I have less bills to pay.
    Grow some common sense dude.

Your calling him an idiot, it says it when you buy it. be it Digital or hard copy.

PRODUCT DETAILS
    30 days of game time included
    Subscription and account for The Elder Scrolls Online required
    A persistent internet connection is required to play

they told you before you bought it.
  • Felarrond
    Felarrond
    ✭✭✭
    Gravvy wrote: »
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom So let's say I don't have any money. Let's also say that I was laid off from my job this last week. Let's also say that because of that I DON'T HAVE ANY MONEY. I was promised on the store page on the date of purchasing that the game included 30 days free access. There was no mention of a credit card required to access the FREE 30 days. I am really upset about this. Where can I get a refund?

Unfortunately we probably won't get a reply until tomorrow, I haven't seen @ZOS_JessicaFolsom or @ZOS_GinaBruno post in over half an hour.l;
  • xDevlinx21
    xDevlinx21
    ✭✭
    Taaltos wrote: »
    Still not sure why everyone thinks they're paying a full sub. You aren't, it's a 'funds' check. AM/PM(the gas station) checks for 100.00 in your account, if you don't have it, you can't pump gas.

Paypal does it. Checks for under a dollar.

Are you guys new to MMO's or something?

Do you look into everyone's account that's been paying? No!
    Don't go assuming for others.
    Edited by ZOS_LeroyW on April 4, 2014 4:56AM
    Live Streamer: http://twitch.tv/xDevlinx21
    (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
  • merfpmerfinton
    merfpmerfinton
    ✭✭✭
    Quidel wrote: »

Your calling him an idiot, it says it when you buy it. be it Digital or hard copy.

PRODUCT DETAILS

So then why wasn't a sub required to get the 3-5 days early access? It's the same thing just on a different time frame.
  • ArcheKnight
    ArcheKnight
    ✭✭✭
    Ganksalot wrote: »
    This is not ok. Fix it already....

Sadly this is something that they should have known and told us LONG ago, as fixing it is a bit harder and will take time, especially on the edge of a weekend.
    zbcole wrote: »
    Valwardon wrote: »
    zbcole wrote: »
    Do you work in business, or manage a business. I am a leader in a Fortune 100 company that deals with many companies, and I can tell you - this stuff happens ALL THE TIME.
    You must be a minimum wage team leader. As surely you do not know business. This stuff does not happen all the time. A good business actually takes time to read who and what they are doing business with and what they are getting. Anything else is just irresponsible.

I can show you documents I have been sent from Merchant Accounts and most of them you would consider a novel by most standards.

Troll fanboi trying to be something he is not.

And to what is highlighted bold, is a definition of why you don't know what you are talking about nor have been involved in managing or owning a business.

A good business cannot take the time to do read everything and look over everything possible that touches their empire. If they do, they would develop paralysis by analysis, an MBA cliché for you.

What's important is that they manage to their economies of scale. Do the most of what gives them the best return on their product. Managing the merchant process to the nth degree as such isn't where a company is going to focus outside of:

1) Time Service of Funds
    2) Merchant Fees
    3) Point-of-Access

You really think in your infinite wisdom that a company is going to ask:
    "Do you reserve transactional fees when a player sets up their payment options in the 30 day free period?"

95% of the times they will draw going forward, that scenario does not even apply. But yes-that is where they should have been focused and pouring over the minutia. If they were, this game would have seen a 2015 launch date if they didn't go bankrupt in the process.

So you are saying that your company just picks a merchant at random and says "TO HELL WITH IT!"? You keep throwing around big words but I don't think they fit you well. You need to know the DETAILS. Yes, you ask them the serious questions, you ask them how it affects your customers, and you ask them how they function. If you don't do those things then you are an idiot as you are defined by your customers and if a lot of them dislike your business practices, or lack thereof, then you will have no customers.

The better question to ask them would have been:
    "When you commence authorization charges, how much do you charge, how is it handled, and what should my customers know about this process?"

It is their job and Zenimaxes to know how their customers are being treated at all times. I don't understand how you think that this is unimportant information and I am hereby naming you troll, a troll with a large diction, but a troll none-the-less.
  • Quidel
    Quidel
    meaghs wrote: »
    neither does LOTRO... or any other that i've gamed. Normally on activating you choose which option, cc or game card, however you don't need to register a game card until the first 30 days is up. Can anyone confirm that you get your game time plus the thirty days included in the initial purchase?

I used to play LOTRO and until it became F2P, you had to give the a valid sub 1st.

Yes, but LOTRO charged the standard $1 pre-auth.

yes but the account had to have the full amount in it for when the free days ran out

PRODUCT DETAILS

So then why wasn't a sub required to get the 3-5 days early access? It's the same thing just on a different time frame.

hmmm, lets see....i don't know.......maybe it was the $60-$80 that you gave them for the pre-order that then unlocked that early access.....$5 for those that pre-ordered hard copy.
  • Felarrond
    Felarrond
    ✭✭✭
    neither does LOTRO... or any other that i've gamed. Normally on activating you choose which option, cc or game card, however you don't need to register a game card until the first 30 days is up. Can anyone confirm that you get your game time plus the thirty days included in the initial purchase?

I used to play LOTRO and until it became F2P, you had to give the a valid sub 1st.

yes but the account had to have the full amount in it for when the free days ran out

PRODUCT DETAILS

hmmm, lets see....i don't know.......maybe it was the $60-$80 that you gave them for the pre-order that then unlocked that early access.....$5 for those that pre-ordered hard copy.

Yes, when the free time ran out, here they've prea-auth/funds checked the ENTIRE amount of what you won't be billed until next month. That's why it's an issue.
  • xDevlinx21
    xDevlinx21
    ✭✭
    So damn frustrating! :s
    It's advertised that we get 30 days free, I get that they need to verify that you'll have a valid payment method but most people planning to play will or have already budget(ed) they're method of payment for the end of that 30 day free trial. :\:(
    Live Streamer: http://twitch.tv/xDevlinx21
    (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
  • Kiwi
    Kiwi
    ✭✭✭✭
    and if you file a ticket to support you get patronised with some immature attempt at roleplaying, like theyre not even taking you seriously.

underhanded tactics with insulting followups
    A large yellow rectangle

• merfpmerfinton
    merfpmerfinton
    ✭✭✭

PRODUCT DETAILS

60-80 dollars that also included 30 days play time.. Ike I said it's the same thing
  • Elvikun
    Elvikun
    ✭✭✭
    Now, now, I always defend the right to complain and critique every little or big thing out there, but let's not go so berserk over this.

Most games and internet-based companies do this, tho yes, it's not ideal that it is not the smallest amount of money possible and that the gametime starts running immidiately after choosing a plan. I believe it's likely they will add those days back, whether you'll go berserk or not over it. It doesn't matter whether they'll do it today or in a week either, we all have at least 29 days left, so it's not so huge issue. If anything is an issue, it's the account-test amount of money blocked, so focus there.

No need to act like they just robbed your bank account and then killed you pet on the way out tho.
    Failing is a lifestyle too.
  • ArcheKnight
    ArcheKnight
    ✭✭✭
    Elvikun wrote: »
    Now, now, I always defend the right to complain and critique every little or big thing out there, but let's not go so berserk over this.

Most games and internet-based companies do this, tho yes, it's not ideal that it is not the smallest amount of money possible and that the gametime starts running immidiately after choosing a plan. I believe it's likely they will add those days back, whether you'll go berserk or not over it. It doesn't matter whether they'll do it today or in a week either, we all have at least 29 days left, so it's not so huge issue. If anything is an issue, it's the account-test amount of money blocked, so focus there.

No need to act like they just robbed your bank account and then killed you pet on the way out tho.

With as little warning as they give, it is JUST like they robbed your bank account... but they haven't killed my pet. You don't understand that it is a HUGE deal to a lot of people who can't afford this or are worried that they will be overdrafted for this charge that they were not warned about. Even veteran MMO players won't see an entire sub fee auth charge coming! Some people budgeted exactly what they would need for this and all of their other expenses, and this lack of warning and clarification can inadvertently hurt a lot of people in incredibly significant ways.
  • grombrindal
    Rhoric wrote: »
    All sub based games require you to enter a subscription plan prior to receiving your free 30 days.

No, most MMOs do not actually, or did not when they still were subscription based games anyway.

Um...yes they have,ever since I started playing Ultima Online way back when.Hell even the new ones do,SWtOR did when I first subbed to them back when I first started playing BEFORE they went f2p.......
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    You mean this information on every Store page clearly explaining the requirement?
    ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS

30 DAYS UNLIMITED GAME PLAY INCLUDED WITH PURCHASE. VALID PAYMENT METHOD OR PAID GAME TIME CARD FOR SUBSCRIPTION AND PERSISTENT INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED.

Acceptance of End User License Agreement, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy, and account registration using enclosed one-time use activation code, required to play. Must be 13+ to register. The 30 days of unlimited game play begins when you select your preferred subscription plan on store.elderscrollsonline.com. Subscription fees only charged for game access after the first 30 days, subject to cancellation by you at any time. No refunds or credits for partial months. If you choose to pay for your subscription with a prepaid non-recurring payment method or with a Game Time Card you will be charged at the time you select the subscription plan. See store.elderscrollsonline.com for details. Product requires installation of application software. The Elder Scrolls® Online service may be discontinued, and content modified, disabled, suspended or removed, at any time. See Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
    There is nothing unambiguous in that wording.

The issue in this thread, which is understandable, is that customers are being charged the full amount of their subscription option rather than a small token 'authorization check' amount which people would more reasonably expect.

Potential purchasers should have been made aware at point of purchase that there would be a transaction for an 'authorization check'. And further, that the sum would be that of the subscription option so that they were properly forewarned. That is if the system is working as intended.

I'm sure that there will be some further clarification on this at some point.
    Edited by Moonraker on April 4, 2014 4:28AM
  • ArcheKnight
    ArcheKnight
    ✭✭✭
    Moonraker wrote: »
    You mean this information on every Store page clearly explaining the requirement?
    ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS

30 DAYS UNLIMITED GAME PLAY INCLUDED WITH PURCHASE. VALID PAYMENT METHOD OR PAID GAME TIME CARD FOR SUBSCRIPTION AND PERSISTENT INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED.

Acceptance of End User License Agreement, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy, and account registration using enclosed one-time use activation code, required to play. Must be 13+ to register. The 30 days of unlimited game play begins when you select your preferred subscription plan on store.elderscrollsonline.com. Subscription fees only charged for game access after the first 30 days, subject to cancellation by you at any time. No refunds or credits for partial months. If you choose to pay for your subscription with a prepaid non-recurring payment method or with a Game Time Card you will be charged at the time you select the subscription plan. See store.elderscrollsonline.com for details. Product requires installation of application software. The Elder Scrolls® Online service may be discontinued, and content modified, disabled, suspended or removed, at any time. See Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

The issue in this thread, which is understandable, is that customers are being charged the full amount of their subscription option rather than a small token 'authorization check' amount which people would more reasonably expect.

Potential purchasers should have been made aware at point of purchase that there would be a transaction for an 'authorization check'. And further, that the sum would be that of the subscription option so that they were properly forewarned. That is if the system is working as intended.

Nothing unambiguous... in fact, nothing at all! Where does it talk about pre-auth charges?! Where does it talk about the instances where they add on to the amount of "free" time due to their own mistakes? And where does it say that their extra "free" time was a scam to make them seem like a better company? Seriously, the extra 2 days are only for those that wait on applying their codes and their sub options. The original announcement was ambiguous and shady. This just keeps getting worse!
  • ShiBu
    ShiBu
    ✭✭✭
    ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS

just checkout the different amazon versions... the digital imp. version got the disclaimer the other doesnt.

where i did buy it.. no such disclaimer.. so whos to blame ?
    i do play mmo´s since 1997 and i didnt think about it AT ALL.. my fault ? maybe.. my problem ? no.. do i care for the community which will shrink bc of this.. yes i do.

• Petrosa
    Petrosa
    @zbcole- This is a subscription-based game.. Zen has many, many subscription-based models on which to emulate the best business practices to make this process as transparent as possible. They have failed to do so, in some areas seeming to almost actively seek ways to upset the embryonic client-base.
    - The idea that you are a "leader" in a major business that would calmly accept a product rollout as poorly handled as this is laughable. Any executive worth the name would be furious with the damaging of a company's reputation at the worst possible time.
    - NOW.. I do believe that the merchant handling the accounts has full understanding of the situation and has carefully planned this with a clear goal in mind. They are "padding" the initial numbers to show the largest income they can for those who have the most to gain. As usual this is done at the expense of those who have the most to lose.
    - I am hopeful and trusting that the sophomoric mistakes will be dealt with and the hardworking programmers and the players, new and old, will be able to create a community that will grow wonderfully.

Now back to ZBCOLE --
    - To coin a phrase, newly minted by @Archeknight though it may be, you are a troll.
    - Thus - I have been trolled.
    - lol

Edited by Petrosa on April 4, 2014 4:40AM
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    people..calm the hell down. Everquest/everquest 2 tera online and ultima online ALL did/do this when they were subs and some still do. You will not be charged and they said if you are for some reason charged to contact them and they will fix it. I have 4 bucks in my account and had no problem adding my card.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • ArcheKnight
    ArcheKnight
    ✭✭✭
    jircris11 wrote: »
    people..calm the hell down. Everquest/everquest 2 tera online and ultima online ALL did/do this when they were subs and some still do. You will not be charged and they said if you are for some reason charged to contact them and they will fix it. I have 4 bucks in my account and had no problem adding my card.

Don't "calm the hell down" when it comes to whether or not you will overdraft... That is a serious issue and can increase the amount of time that you are affected by this auth charge. Most of the time these are around $1 and so it doesn't hurt a lot of people, but some have been charged for 6 month subs in auth charges and if they aren't released almost immediately might hurt them financially!

I am interested though on how the process worked for you. If you don't mind, what card do you use (no personal information, please. Just visa, mastercard, american express (etc)), how much did it hold/charge, and for how long. Knowing some of these answers can really help others that need this information.
  • Falmie
    Falmie
    And now, after setting up my billing information, just lost my free"extended early access", since I had till Sunday to play for free and it's already counting 29 days left.
    forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/67553/free-game-time-already-started-billing-attached#latesthttp://
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing unambiguous... in fact, nothing at all! Where does it talk about pre-auth charges?! Where does it talk about the instances where they add on to the amount of "free" time due to their own mistakes? And where does it say that their extra "free" time was a scam to make them seem like a better company? Seriously, the extra 2 days are only for those that wait on applying their codes and their sub options. The original announcement was ambiguous and shady. This just keeps getting worse!

It doesn't and I made that point separately as it is a separate issue here.

If you have an issue with the 2 days extra, which is another valid issue (retail compared to digital direct) than make a new thread because it will just get lost in the noise here.

Inventing conspiracy theories wont help this get resolved.
  • Christophetes
    Christophetes
    ✭✭✭
    jircris11 wrote: »

I have 12 bucks in my account, and my card was declined, because ZeniMax tried to authorize the entire $14.99.

I don't have an issue with them charging an authorisation. Problem is the amount. Every other MMO I've ever played (WoW, SWTOR, STO, FFXIV) has either authorised a dollar, or nothing at all until the 30 free trial period is over. Because they're trying to authorize the full amount, I'll soon be left unable to play a game I've already paid $80 for until I get paid next Friday. It's unfair.
  • ArcheKnight
    ArcheKnight
    ✭✭✭

It doesn't and I made that point separately as it is a separate issue here.

If you have an issue with the 2 days extra, which is another valid issue (retail compared to digital direct) than make a new thread because it will just get lost in the noise here.

Inventing conspiracy theories wont help this get resolved.

I won't continue posting about this here after this message as you are right, this is for a different topic, but I didn't invent any conspiracy theories. This was confirmed by a forum mod and that is shady.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    ShiBu wrote: »
    just checkout the different amazon versions... the digital imp. version got the disclaimer the other doesnt.

where i did buy it.. no such disclaimer.. so whos to blame ?
    i do play mmo´s since 1997 and i didnt think about it AT ALL.. my fault ? maybe.. my problem ? no.. do i care for the community which will shrink bc of this.. yes i do.
    If the retailer did not bring the conditions of sale to the attention of the purchaser, then the purchaser should be talking direct to the retailer. As it is, all the original pages including the ones linking to Retail stores also had that before. it has changed somewhat.

It doesn't change the fact that if the retailer did not inform the client fully at the time of purchase, then you have every right to raise it with them directly.

Edited by Moonraker on April 4, 2014 5:13AM
  • Alexium
    Alexium
    ✭✭✭

From my credit card was charged the amount equal to 15 dollars. Why?! I don't want to pay for second month now!
  • NightOwl68
    NightOwl68
    ✭✭
    I just setup my subscription, and just noticed my bank card was charged the full price not the $1 as stated, so I guess I am in the same boat.
  • Althran
    Althran
    Worst part is they prolly wont do anything about it
  • ArcheKnight
    ArcheKnight
    ✭✭✭
    Althran wrote: »
    Worst part is they prolly wont do anything about it

They'll have no choice to change something. They want this bad publicity as much as we want these problems, but it just depends on how long it takes them to fix these mistakes and to what degree.
  • Loxy37
    Loxy37
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just subbed via Paypal and I haven't been charged. I am rather upset though that my time is ticking down and I haven't got the 2 days grace period added. I'm sure it will be fixed.

EDIT@ Said I had been charged but I haven't.
    Edited by Loxy37 on April 4, 2014 5:17AM