Maintenance for the week of July 1:
• NA megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Question for Solo Players

• Thormar
    Thormar
    ✭✭✭✭
    @TaSheen Looking at my final sentence in response to your post, I see that it's possible to misconstrue my meaning. I did not mean it in any negative way.
    What if I go north? Disappear.
    Would you come after me?
    Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thormar wrote: »
    @TaSheen Looking at my final sentence in response to your post, I see that it's possible to misconstrue my meaning. I did not mean it in any negative way.

No worries. I didn't take it in any particular way. In general, I'm happy and I keep him happy. He'll be 90 later this summer, so doing what needs doing is part of my portfolio at this point.

Also, sometimes I just phrase things badly. I'm actually a bludgeon....

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
    Options
  • Thormar
    Thormar
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Syldras wrote: »
    About your husband, the divines bless his soul, as everytime he gets a mention it's mostly a beating...

If a "loner" says they miss being completely alone at times, that doesn't neccessarily mean they're unhappy with the people surrounding them. I cherish my friends very much. I'd even go so far that in an emergency I'd give my life for them, and I mean it. It's a very strong bond. But still, I wouldn't want to meet them every day.
    My mistake there, the wording has been unfortunate. I did not mean to imply anything negative.
    Would you come after me?
    Options
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just realized I unconsciously used the word "introvert" to describe myself in my previous post, without realizing that there was a larger discussion going on about the term.

I just want to add to that discussion by saying that a lot of people confuse the term "Solitude" with "Loneliness".

Solitude is a condition one chooses because one desires time for self reflection, creativity, and focus. For those who seek it, it is energizing to be alone with ones own thoughts, feelings, and ideas. It is a positive and constructive state. Quietness allows those of us who enjoy solitude to experience the richness of our inner worlds. Many types of people benefit from solitude, not just introverts.

Solitude is not a state of hiding, being in a shell, or of avoiding social interaction out of fear. It is a choice we make because we enjoy it. We feel complete and enriched by our own thoughts and feelings. When we return to the company of others, we often feel a deep sense of peace, replete from our time alone, and better able to present the best version of ourselves, our thoughts, and our emotions to the world.

People tend to make the false assumption that those who seek solitude are lonely and are in need of company or intervention. Loneliness is an entirely different animal, however. Loneliness is a negative emotion. You can be in a room full of people and still feel lonely, because the sense that something is missing nags at you. Loneliness leaves you discontent because you feel an intense need for the company of people.

Solitude and lonliness are not the same, at all.

But what I actually wanted to write: Yes, it's truly a misconception that it's about misanthropy. Another misconception, to be more precise; the other one was already mentioned: sociophobia. I still think it's a way people who don't understand this try to find an explanation - and what they can think of is either fear or hatred, because those are big motives for many humans, I guess.

I agree with this, but also:

It's been my experience that some people like to explain away the desire for solitude as some kind of social dysfunction because it makes them uncomfortable. Some get offended by the implication that you don't need to interact with other people regularly to feel fulfilled and complete within yourself. They see it as a form of social rejection, then draw conclusions such as: "They don't need regular interaction with others, therefore, they must hate other people."

I see this a lot in people who very much need the validation of others in order to feel complete. They see the desire for solitude as threatening to that validation. "They want to be alone." = "They don't like me." in some peoples minds, when that actually isn't true. You can like people very much, and still need solitude. By the same token, they feel that leaving someone in solitude is wrong and that they must draw them out of their shell.

Attributing a desire for solitude as a fundamental flaw makes some people feel more comfortable and lessens their own feelings of rejection, because they can then feel that there is something wrong with -us-, not them. When, in reality, there's nothing wrong with either party and it's just as normal to want solitude as it is to want company.

The thing is, most solitude lovers don't hate people at all. We aren't rejecting anyone or anything by wanting alone time to reflect and recharge. A lot of us are actually quite empathetic towards other people, and really enjoy deep discussion.

I'm not saying that all people think this way by any means, but its been my observation that when people feel afraid of something like rejection, they often deflect that feeling onto those they fear being rejected by.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
    Options
  • Thormar
    Thormar
    ✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »

No worries. I didn't take it in any particular way. In general, I'm happy and I keep him happy. He'll be 90 later this summer, so doing what needs doing is part of my portfolio at this point.

Also, sometimes I just phrase things badly. I'm actually a bludgeon....
    Thanks for understanding.
    Would you come after me?
    Options
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    [...]I see this a lot in people who very much need the validation of others in order to feel complete. They see the desire for solitude as threatening to that validation. "They want to be alone." = "They don't like me." in some peoples minds, when that actually isn't true. [...]

Well, I don't like anyone who thinks like that. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
    Options
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »
    [...]I see this a lot in people who very much need the validation of others in order to feel complete. They see the desire for solitude as threatening to that validation. "They want to be alone." = "They don't like me." in some peoples minds, when that actually isn't true. [...]

Well, I don't like anyone who thinks like that. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

People who have those kinds of doubts likely have them for a reason, and are just as deserving of respect and understanding as those who seek solitude are. I don't think deciding to dislike someone based on a thought process is any more helpful than disliking someone based on pre-conceived notions about solitude. We are all only human, after all.

I didn't intend my post to convey dislike for such people. It's more an observation. Usually reassurance and communication eases the mind those with such doubts that they are still liked.

Communication is a two way street- we cant expect our need for solitude to be understood if we are intolerant towards the needs of those who do not think like that.
    Edited by ArchangelIsraphel on June 20, 2024 11:58PM
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
    Options
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like or dislike people based on their opinions and actions, not how they got there. That just follows from my determinism. I could play holier-than-thou and say I'm merely pitying them, but in my eyes that's much more disrespectful.

Options
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like or dislike people based on their opinions and actions, not how they got there. That just follows from my determinism. I could play holier-than-thou and say I'm merely pitying them, but in my eyes that's much more disrespectful.

It might be annoying if we have to explain our need for solitude over and over again. But if we reject them outright and don't explain the situation to them, how would they ever learn? This is the point, in my opinion; if two different mindsets collide, what else can we do but discuss:
    Communication is a two way street

And yes, of course they also have to be open-minded enough to listen and acknowledge what we say. Otherwise every discussion is futile.

@Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
    Options
  • JemadarofCaerSalis
    JemadarofCaerSalis
    ✭✭✭
    My main question is to solo players , why do you play solo only in an Mmorpg?
    The above question is somewhat vague.
    I'd rather it was explicit: if there was a group ingame (discovered accidentally or actively), about whom the following were true, would I or any insular solo player continue to play solo?
    If said group was made of people of similar: age range, cultural background, upbringing, values, same social-economic status, theological outlooks that more or less align.
    Playing solo I suspect would happen a lot less.
    For me, what causes unspoken friction, leading to distancing is significant misalignment of a few of the above criteria.

Conversely, I suspect that if you randomly selected any player happy in a group setting, it's highly likely many of their regular group mates are regular because they satisfy many of the above listed criteria. And once that breaks down, they probably become solo or more likely switch games to seek that alignment (camaraderie).

To be honest, I would hate being grouped based solely on attributes such as age, where I am from etc..

I don't care about that, and I don't talk about most of the things on that list, because I am playing a game.

Back during Morrowind modding, I became friends with a woman who was much older than me, in a higher social-economic bracket, and I didn't know her cultural background, upbringing, values or theological outlooks at all. We bonded because we both liked Morrowind and both wanted to make mods for it.

It is the same in other online games (not MMOs, but petsites and the like). I bond with the other players because we are playing the same game and have that interest in common. Sometimes we have other interests in common, such as cats, but for the most part, it doesn't matter where they are from, or what their values are.

So, I don't know how common it is for players to seek out those particular criteria, nor for it to cause friction in the groups because of misalignment of them (now being vocal about certain things, when there is a misalignment of values, would lead to friction)

My main reason to not play group content with a group is that I simply do not know when I might have to step away from the computer. If I am playing solo, I can step away, and no one is caused problems. If I am with a group, especially if we are doing content that takes a while, then I am now stuck playing the game until the end.
    Options
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »

It might be annoying if we have to explain our need for solitude over and over again. But if we reject them outright and don't explain the situation to them, how would they ever learn? This is the point, in my opinion; if two different mindsets collide, what else can we do but discuss:
    [...]

There are many more things of higher import for me to change minds about, and I still don't go out of my way to attempt it - I'd never do anything else. People have to want to change first.

Options
  • VisitHammerfell
    VisitHammerfell
    ✭✭✭✭
    My main question is to solo players , why do you play solo only in an Mmorpg?

I don't play solo only, but I do quest solo only. I like to play the story at my own pace and the story only makes sense to me if I'm playing through it on my own.

However I also enjoy group activities and chatting with friends and meeting new people.

But for those that do play solo only, I don't understand why that would be puzzling to anyone. Maybe they just like seeing the world look alive with other players as they travel through Tamriel doing their own thing.

Highly agree. I do vet dungeons, hm trials, all that sweaty stuff, but when I'm questing I want to do it at my own pace without other people and be able to read and listen to dialogue. Whenever I 'm doing dailies or a group event or something, I refuse to pick up delve or public dungeon quests and return later to do them on my own. I can't chat in party while questing either.

----

That being said, I can understand why some people are solo, the end game can be mentally draining and consume all your free time. I onpy played another game for more than 10 hours for the first time in 2.5 years recently lol. What I don't get is new people who immediately swear off group content and PvP forever without trying it (I started off solo too and used to hit abysmal dps and not know anything), but to each their own. As much as I love end game content and chasing achievements, it really is fun just exploring, questing, doing dailies myself sometimes. A few weeks ago I grinded every day for the rest of the public dungeon collectibles, it was fun :)
    FOR THE COVENANT! 🦁

PS NA 2200+
    PS EU 1400+
    PS NA Alt 600+

Bring back Crafty Lerisa (with same voice actress)

Bring back Sergeant Seyne
    Options
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, it seems I've somehow missed this:
    if there was a group ingame (discovered accidentally or actively), about whom the following were true, would I or any insular solo player continue to play solo?
    If said group was made of people of similar: age range, cultural background, upbringing, values, same social-economic status, theological outlooks that more or less align.

For me personally, it wouldn't make a difference. I think even if I was a more social person, it wouldn't really change a thing because many of these factors aren't important to me. I never cared for other peoples' income or social class. Age-wise, many people I get along with very well are older than me, sometimes twice my age (at least I'm not 16 anymore, so it's not 4x my age any longer ;) ). When it comes to theological outlooks, the views my friends have differ a lot - and this makes it more interesting because we have more to discuss. Of course, for this, open-mindedness is required - so, yeah, that's probably a unifying factor. The main factor, maybe. Another factor that contributes to interesting discussions are common interests, of course. Interests as in hobbies or topics we busy ourselves with. Which are not necessarily linked to cultural background or upbringing - I don't see how that is a big unifying factor, to be honest, as people are still individuals with very different opinions, no matter if they're from the same village or same income class of whatever. In generally, individual interests seem much more important than the typical big categories they usually use to classify people.

And especially when it comes to a roleplaying game, to me this ideally shouldn't matter at all. I play my role, and this is how I would want to interact with others (if there's interaction, that is). In Tamriel it doesn't matter who I am in real life, and I don't need to know that about other players.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    Options
  • TheMajority
    TheMajority
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like to read deep discussion that goes on here even if my english is not good enough to often participate.

I hope that these discussions get to stay. Many times they disappear even if they are insightful, useful and show development of the mind and express learning.

Anyway I will try to participate.

My own contributing factor is that we say in my country:

Some people are born with a full cup, some people are born with an empty cup that seeks to be filled.

People with a full cup experience contentment within themself and have a completeness about them

People with the empty cup are still on the journey of finding themself in others

It is normal in my country to practice solitude for spiritual enlightenment or personal enjoyment

It's hard for me to understand a society which encourages only talking, chatting, and excitement without seeking introspection, but I try.

I do not consider myself a introvert but I have solitude, as a practice, and enjoy the solitude and teach it to my children so that they learn focus and to think on their actions.

In solitude we craft, paint, or even enjoy our favorite hobby alone. Or do a work of self reflection.

solitude is important for personal developments.

It is frowned upon in my country to disrupt a person in solitude and seen as a sign of deep disrespect for their thoughts and development. It is frowned upon to force them into acts of socialized, partying, or forced interaction. It is nice to have these things but they are not the deepest development of life.

I do not understand treating solitude as hatred for humanity- solitude is humanitarian and often thoughts about how humanity must be helped must occur within deep solitude.

please respect solitude.

Well, I tried to convey my thoughts. I hope that the meanings are clear.
    Time flies like an arrow- but fruit flies like a banana.

Sorry for my English, I do not always have a translation tool available. Thank you for your patience with our conversation and working towards our mutual understanding of the topic.
    Options
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are many more things of higher import for me to change minds about, and I still don't go out of my way to attempt it - I'd never do anything else. People have to want to change first.

How can they change if they don't know that they're mistaken? But of course you are free to avoid such people. No one is forced to interact with anyone.
    That being said, I can understand why some people are solo, the end game can be mentally draining and consume all your free time.

That's not the reason ;)
    What I don't get is new people who immediately swear off group content and PvP forever without trying it

Serious question: Have you tried everything before deciding it's not for you or you're not interested in it? I mean not in ESO, but generally in life? Because I think from a certain age on, people know what interests them and what not - and focus on what interests them, also due to lack of time.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That being said, I can understand why some people are solo, the end game can be mentally draining and consume all your free time. I onpy played another game for more than 10 hours for the first time in 2.5 years recently lol. What I don't get is new people who immediately swear off group content and PvP forever without trying it (I started off solo too and used to hit abysmal dps and not know anything), but to each their own. As much as I love end game content and chasing achievements, it really is fun just exploring, questing, doing dailies myself sometimes. A few weeks ago I grinded every day for the rest of the public dungeon collectibles, it was fun :)

I played WoW for 7 years, and Rift for another 4 after I quit WoW. In both those games, I ran family and friends guilds; we raided EXTENSIVELY. It was.... actually a soul-destroying grind. Eventually all of us gave it up. I've never been back to either game. Daughter and SIL still play very desultorily. As well, in WoW, I pvp'd with a friend's guild on a pvp realm - and oh boy did I hate every minute of it.... So yeah, NO pvp.... ever again. And NO group content ever again.

So starting ESO.... I KNEW going in I was not going to do anything like what drove me away from the other games. I am not a "new person" since this is my 7th year in ESO (after a total of a decade in two other MMOs); I have been there and done that in those other MMOs, and I'm never losing all those hours of my life for NOTHING ever again.

I spend my in game time RP'ing (in my mind) whichever girl I'm currently playing (alts - I have LOTS of alts.... and every one of them is a person to me, with her own backstory and reason for "living" in the game world).

Everyone's experience is different. Have fun in your own way - but try not to denigrate others who don't fit your mold.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

Options
  • LaintalAy
    LaintalAy
    ✭✭✭✭
    As someone who has played mmorpgs for over 15 years of my life. The main draw to it for me, and to many others over the years is the community, the cooperative play, silly and random interactions, meeting new people etc.

Everyone knows the quests, the grind, the loot is all pretty basic but it's the replayability of the group content that really drives people to keep doing the same quests over and over.

This game has been heavily marketed to the "Solo" player the last few years and the game has definitely reflected that both with the content , and the community. My main question is to solo players , why do you play solo only in an Mmorpg?

Also I want to genuinely ask if you think a live service single player game is the type of game you would enjoy in the future? Do you want cosmetics and a store in every game you play? ( I promise I don't work for EA or Blizzard)

Like others, this is a TES progression for me. I've never played any other MMO. Thanks to selfish madfolk that have migrated here from Those Other Games, I never will.

It was always about traveling to the other provinces.

I don't do quests much. I focus on crafting and trading for player interaction.

Given all that's been said over the past five years about the divergence between PvE and PvP players, if I were tasked with making the replacement game, I'd probably go down the route of TES6 being stand alone single-player; and ESO2 being a paid subscription to access MMO functionality.

Those are my thoughts. I have no affiliation with any company beyond being a customer.
    PC EU
    UTC+10:00
    Tin-can-and-string internet

Ald Chimeris
    Options
  • Nathrai
    Nathrai
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very clear - and beautiful! <3
    Azura'm s'wit
    Options
  • BergisMacBride
    BergisMacBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Played since release. 99% solo. Play most all content with the exception of trials and dungeons when grouped. Guilds maxed out and mostly active. Even though I’m a solo player, I have zero interest in single player games. No life, no dynamic atmosphere. I want to be playing in a vibrant, dynamic world with other people, just not forced to group with them for things. The few times I group I kinda feel trapped at the computer with an obligation to be there and ready so as not to let the groupmates down. That takes the fun out of it for me.

I love playing with and around other players all the time, just not forced grouping. Not my thing. I participate in daily world activities with other players like incursions. I love to PVP as well from time to time, especially during mayhem, but always go solo and generally zerg surf. And I have a blast.

I’ll never get the meta trial gear or achievements. I dont have many of the meta dungeon sets, but that’s ok.

ESO is special in that it lets me play this way I want and still enjoy the heck out of it. The only times I’ve left MMOs is the past is when they structured it to force grouping.

It’s great that folks love trials, group dungeons and the like and I don’t begrudge them the rewards they reap from those activities.

To each their own.
    Edited by BergisMacBride on June 21, 2024 2:05AM
    Options
  • TheMajority
    TheMajority
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nathrai wrote: »

Thanks, I like to read well spoken posts on forums about subjects which I find enjoyment to learn to write English better. I can read more than I can say myself.

They say to read English is harder than to write,, but I do find the opposite true. For me reading it is easier than the writing and placing my own thoughts in another language.

Time flies like an arrow- but fruit flies like a banana.

Sorry for my English, I do not always have a translation tool available. Thank you for your patience with our conversation and working towards our mutual understanding of the topic.
    Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nathrai wrote: »

Thanks, I like to read well spoken posts on forums about subjects which I find enjoyment to learn to write English better. I can read more than I can say myself.

They say to read English is harder than to write,, but I do find the opposite true. For me reading it is easier than the writing and placing my own thoughts in another language.

Hey, SPELLING English is the real problem. The situation is that "English" is a polyglot - made up of words from other languages (a LOT of them) - many words are not spelled the way they sound, and sometimes, no matter how good a native English speaker you are, you don't get the spellings right.

I like your posts. You express yourself in a manner that is understandable and empathetic.

Options
  • VisitHammerfell
    VisitHammerfell
    ✭✭✭✭
    That being said, I can understand why some people are solo, the end game can be mentally draining and consume all your free time.

That's not the reason ;)
    What I don't get is new people who immediately swear off group content and PvP forever without trying it

Serious question: Have you tried everything before deciding it's not for you or you're not interested in it? I mean not in ESO, but generally in life? Because I think from a certain age on, people know what interests them and what not - and focus on what interests them, also due to lack of time.

1. I'm not saying that's the reason. I'm saying I can understand the appeal of being solo, bc of my experiences in the end game. ;)

2. I think there's a difference between not really interested in something and vehemently immediately swearing off a type of gameplay, esp bc of preconceived ideas. Like when people make Reddit posts along the lines of "Is this game good for solo? I don't want to see or talk to other people. I hate PvP just because of the name of it and bc other people are there. How do I block other people on my screen they ruin my immersion" Me personally I tried Elden Ring. Not for me. But I didn't *** talk the game or genre without trying it first. I think many people don't even know what guild events or ESO PvP involves. I started ESO just bc I wanted more Elder Scrolls. Would have never joined group content if I didn't join a guild bc of that quest, and then got an invite to a dungeon after I asked "What's a pledge?". Had no intentions of group content before that. It's good to go where the river takes you.
    Edited by VisitHammerfell on June 21, 2024 5:38AM
    FOR THE COVENANT! 🦁

PS NA 2200+
    PS EU 1400+
    PS NA Alt 600+

Options
  • VisitHammerfell
    VisitHammerfell
    ✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »

I played WoW for 7 years, and Rift for another 4 after I quit WoW. In both those games, I ran family and friends guilds; we raided EXTENSIVELY. It was.... actually a soul-destroying grind. Eventually all of us gave it up. I've never been back to either game. Daughter and SIL still play very desultorily. As well, in WoW, I pvp'd with a friend's guild on a pvp realm - and oh boy did I hate every minute of it.... So yeah, NO pvp.... ever again. And NO group content ever again.

So starting ESO.... I KNEW going in I was not going to do anything like what drove me away from the other games. I am not a "new person" since this is my 7th year in ESO (after a total of a decade in two other MMOs); I have been there and done that in those other MMOs, and I'm never losing all those hours of my life for NOTHING ever again.

I spend my in game time RP'ing (in my mind) whichever girl I'm currently playing (alts - I have LOTS of alts.... and every one of them is a person to me, with her own backstory and reason for "living" in the game world).

Everyone's experience is different. Have fun in your own way - but try not to denigrate others who don't fit your mold.

I am more referring to people like those who are first time MMO players/Skyrim fans hence the "new people". Happy for you that you know what you're looking for and find enjoyment in, having prior experience in an MMO is definitely someting understandable. (I also have tons of alts who I view as people with their own backstories)

Not denigrating people, actually I find solos/casuals do that to anybody who does endgame or pvp far more than the other way around. Again, to each their own. Have a good day (genuinely)
    FOR THE COVENANT! 🦁

PS NA 2200+
    PS EU 1400+
    PS NA Alt 600+

Options
  • Pelanora
    Pelanora
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This game has been heavily marketed to the "Solo" player the last few years

You know given all the trailers over all the years show the same group exploring and fighting together, and the cool new video with that (awesome) song which is now in my head everytime I'm doing something with my guild, is all about being in a group......I don't know WHAT you're talking about here.
    Edited by Pelanora on June 21, 2024 5:50AM
    Options
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Quite true, quite true. I do recall a pivotal moment in my early teens that I was shoved into a garbage can and rolled around the local park for a while. That would leave one with an attitude problem. 😆 (Don't feel sorry for me. It's hilarious in hindsight, because who does that happen to outside of a coming-of-age TV show?). Nevertheless, I do regret the way I treated some people, and how long it took me to grow past it.

Well, no one should be treated like that, funny in hindsight or not. Let's hope they have also learnt something over the years (although I'm uncertain how often people actually learn something or even change at all; if I think of former classmates, there's rarely a big development, it's like just the scope of what they've always been like or have been doing has changed). But other than that... No big surprises.

Quick note: it probably goes without saying, but I only find the comedy in it because it happened to me! No one should be treated like that. It's not kind or hygienic.

[Edited to remove some musings not wholly pertinent to the direction of the discussion. I just wanted to be clear about the above point!]
    Edited by SickleCider on June 21, 2024 6:33AM
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
    Options
  • LaintalAy
    LaintalAy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please stop referring to PvE players as 'casuals'. Its insulting.
    PC EU
    UTC+10:00
    Tin-can-and-string internet

Ald Chimeris
    Options
  • Bradyfjord
    Bradyfjord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are so many reasons that solo play happens. Some reasons I play solo include:
    • I don't like playing with random people in group content
    • I enjoy the challenge of being solo in group content
    • I am a 'mid core' player, so I don't fit into the casual group or the hardcore group.
    • I don't have the desire to commit my time to more organized play with strangers.
    • This isn't everything, but it's enough to get the point across.

I do play with other people, even in pug dungeons. I just don't go alone. I usually go duo with my brother, so we are in chat the whole time enjoying our conversations. I used to play in a more organized group of real-life friends, and it was the best gaming experience I ever had. But those days are gone as we're all busy with our lives.
    Options
  • VampirateV
    VampirateV
    ✭✭
    For me, it's a quirk of how my brain works, and I'm also very introverted. Sometimes I'm feeling a little social or in a mood to focus on a challenge, and that's when I stop lurking and I'll do several hours of group content. But then I also have times where I don't have the energy to socialize, or the focus to do anything challenging. It doesn't mean that I don't want to fiddle around with my houses or keep my hands busy with farming while I jam out to some music, though. My greatest weakness is that I legit cannot multitask, so sometimes I might have plenty of energy, but have to choose whether to socialize or play, and often times, I choose play.

As for the preference side of things, ESO is the only MMO I've played, and I felt compelled to try to it at all, because single-player games have always ended up feeling kinda empty and lonely. For me, it's like that vaguely sad vibe, when you see a big space that should be full of people, and there's practically no one there (playgrounds, malls, amusement parks, etc). With ESO, I get the benefits of questing and housing while seeing other people running around going about their day. NPCs are more like environmental elements and just can't fill that 'people void' for me, but it's comforting seeing a representation of real people running around a zone in their unique, cultivated aesthetics and shiny mounts, and knowing that that one dude who's been in their inventory for 10 minutes is probably taking a deuce irl. To me, ESO is the difference between being in a mall with a bunch of other people and few store vacancies, and going to a dying mall that barely has stores left. The latter gives the impression of life, but it's undeniably empty and far more limited.
    Options
  • FelisCatus
    FelisCatus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll preface this with I've been playing for 9 years: I PUG as much as I can and that's why I'm glad a group finder got added. I tried getting my friends into this game about 9 of them, but they all quit after a few days.

I mainly play this solo even if it is an MMO I only do group content if I have to. I usually have had very negative experiences with guilds. The only guilds I seem to find that are decent and friendly are housing guilds but trade and pve guilds are just mentally painful to be in or around. However due to the nature of the game you're kinda forced into groups for certain things. As you'll see below.

Community is usually fine but god forbid you need to do a trial and have to join their discord where you will only hear cringe, unfunny Germans (not all Germans are this way it just happens to be the ones I've met) who feel the need to fill the silence with bad puns and icebreaker jokes. Not to mention how *** guilds are about requirements and rules. Assuming you have the required 80-120k dps (which you can only attain via animation cancelling - it's a feature not a bug) you'll be allowed IF the trial is already not full and these guilds usually operate and run at times that may not be convenient for you. Which is usually the case for myself. If the trial goes over a certain allotted time then they will disband even if you're at the final boss you just spent 2-3 hours trying to get to. They'll just quit. ESO's community know little of patience or perseverance. Expect the same generic excuses of "Oh I have another raid" or "I have dinner" what psycho does raids back to back on the same day. If you're already in a trial and you're on the final boss, commit to it.
    Edited by FelisCatus on June 21, 2024 10:34AM
    Options
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    FelisCatus wrote: »
    [...]discord where you will only hear cringe, unfunny Germans (not all Germans are this way it just happens to be the ones I've met) who feel the need to fill the silence with bad puns and icebreaker jokes.
    [...]
    animation cancelling - it's a feature not a bug
    [...]
    ESO's community know little of patience or perseverance. Expect the same generic excuses of "Oh I have another raid" or "I have dinner" what psycho does raids back to back on the same day.
    [...]

Or, here's a radical thought, it may just be you.

Options