Maintenance for the week of July 1:
• NA megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Question for Solo Players

ThoraxtheDark
ThoraxtheDark
✭✭✭
As someone who has played mmorpgs for over 15 years of my life. The main draw to it for me, and to many others over the years is the community, the cooperative play, silly and random interactions, meeting new people etc.

Everyone knows the quests, the grind, the loot is all pretty basic but it's the replayability of the group content that really drives people to keep doing the same quests over and over.

This game has been heavily marketed to the "Solo" player the last few years and the game has definitely reflected that both with the content , and the community. My main question is to solo players , why do you play solo only in an Mmorpg?

Also I want to genuinely ask if you think a live service single player game is the type of game you would enjoy in the future? Do you want cosmetics and a store in every game you play? ( I promise I don't work for EA or Blizzard)
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main question is to solo players , why do you play solo only in an Mmorpg?

The only reason I started playing ESO was that it's a TES game and I enjoy the lore. With no new story content since Skyrim in 2011, this seemed like a reasonable way to bridge the time until the next singleplayer TES game.
    Also I want to genuinely ask if you think a live service single player game is the type of game you would enjoy in the future? Do you want cosmetics and a store in every game you play?

No.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
    Options
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone who has played mmorpgs for over 15 years of my life. The main draw to it for me, and to many others over the years is the community, the cooperative play, silly and random interactions, meeting new people etc.

Everyone knows the quests, the grind, the loot is all pretty basic but it's the replayability of the group content that really drives people to keep doing the same quests over and over.

This game has been heavily marketed to the "Solo" player the last few years and the game has definitely reflected that both with the content , and the community. My main question is to solo players , why do you play solo only in an Mmorpg?

Also I want to genuinely ask if you think a live service single player game is the type of game you would enjoy in the future? Do you want cosmetics and a store in every game you play? ( I promise I don't work for EA or Blizzard)

There won't be a single answer to this. Every soloist will have different reasons.

I play ESO for the same reason I play any other game: story, exploration, collecting stuff, achievements. I prefer soloing because I generally don't enjoy group content, which tends to just be combat, and once you learn the mechanics, boring. Of course, YMMV.

A big NO to needing or wanting a store in every game. Read reviews of single-player games. Most players do not want to spend money to get cosmetics and such in an SP game. SP games that have any type of store or microtransactions are usually crucified in reviews. Selling DLCs for SP games is okay. Selling mods is okay if they're worth the money, otherwise no. Read up about the horse armor mod in Oblivion LOL.
    Options
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't play solo only, but I do quest solo only. I like to play the story at my own pace and the story only makes sense to me if I'm playing through it on my own.

However I also enjoy group activities and chatting with friends and meeting new people.

But for those that do play solo only, I don't understand why that would be puzzling to anyone. Maybe they just like seeing the world look alive with other players as they travel through Tamriel doing their own thing.
    PCNA
    Options
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't play solo only, as in refusing to join others for dungeons or the like. But it's pretty much 99% solo. I grew up playing solo, with multiplayer being the exception. I like to play at my own pace and that's harder to do when you have to deal with other people (especially in strategy games, which is what I play most of the time). I only got ESO because of the ES part and despite the O. However, I did make some friends in these 10 years and it's a plus to get together with them whenever it happens.

As for live-service single-player with a store, I'd rather not. Even worse if you can only play while online (Steam at least lets me use offline mode and for years I played Age of Empires 2 there like that).
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
    Options
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When I played my very first MMO, Dark Age of Camelot (if one doesn’t count AOL’s Neverwinter Nights, I loved that!), I was hooked on MMOs and have never had much luck when trying to go back to a single player game. The only single player games I’ve played in many years have been Hogwart’s Legacy on console and a few VR games. I mostly play solo, but will group for daily randoms or other forced group content like normal trials because I have to if I want to experience the content.

But even though I like soloing the most what I love about MMOs verses single player games is how alive and persistent the world is - I love seeing other players running around the persistent world doing all their activities, I love being a part of guilds and reading guild chatter as I play, or chatting with others in tells about all sorts of things while engaging in my own in-game activities, which usually are focused around bettering my 11 characters in some way.

Single player games just feel dead to me, with a beginning. a middle, and an end. As much as I loved Hogwart’s Legacy, I really felt down when I finished it, and I did EVERYTHING one could do in it, found every secret, earned every achievement. I loved flying on the broom! But when it was over, it was over. I love MMOs because they are only over when the game shuts down (but then the loss can be devastating, I learned that with my most favorite game ever, City of Heroes).
    Edited by Elvenheart on June 20, 2024 12:54PM
    Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not good, with Friends. I've never been good at creating and maintaining relationships. Reaching out. I'm very quiet, very reserved, very withdrawn. It takes a lot of effort, on both our parts just to get me to open up and talk casually, since I have a very bad habit of saying wrong or awkward things when my walls aren't up. I don't have the emotional capability to become someone's Friend, and I can't expect someone to put in the work required to be my Friend. So. I'm alone.

And the reason I still play an MMORPG? Is because it's an mmoRPG. It's still an Elder Scrolls game, and I love Elder Scrolls.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Options
  • Thoriorz
    Thoriorz
    My driving force in ESO is achievements/grind CP/quests/exploring maps/cosmetics so to speak. Achievements that can't be done as a solo player I skip or pay boost with gold for it if I want a lot like an achievement reward.
    Otherwise not interested in raids or vet/HM dungeons. I like being in contact with other people but seeing them in cities, I like trading but being ON at a given time/learning tactics for each raid, having xy parse dmg etc so I guess I'm too old for that and it's just not my cup of tea i.e.
    I'm a new player in ESO (about 500 hours) and just like I wrote above it's the grind where group play isn't necessary that I enjoy about ESO.
    Edited by Thoriorz on June 20, 2024 3:15AM
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You ask this question like Solo and MMO are oil and water. :smile:

For me, solo means that I am not going out of my way, and maybe not even attempting, to be part of a formal group. It means that my build and play style are such that I don't need to have others around in order to be successful and have fun in the game. Other players can be there, or not.

I often do informal "ad hoc" groups for bosses and incursions. A few people are there. We deal with the boss, or whatever. We go their separate ways. Sometimes I do group up to share quests for these locations, and afterwards, I drop.

Why solo? I don't like waiting on others to play, but I still want the option. Sometimes, I just want to play without any drama or having to deal with garden variety anti-social behavior.

For me, "solo" does not mean "alone" and "MMO" does not require grouping with others.

I am really not interested in live service single player games. I know that studios would love to do that so they can monetize the *** out of it. Monetization, revenue, and profit seem to be a higher priority with AAA studios than a fun, engaging, well designed game.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Grind Road

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't get why you are asking this..... I've never touched an EA game (EWWW) and I left WoW/Blizzard behind in 2013, never been back, never touching it again..

I like MMOs because they aren't static. I don't have any interest in interacting with others. Skyrim (and Oblivion) still maintain my interest because of the very active modding communities (specifically the player-modded quests that extend the experience). TES (including ESO) is my "home universe" since 1994 with Arena's release. Other games have nothing in which I'm interested. I don't really interact with the store other than for the occasional cosmetic that fills a slot for a particular alt.
    As for what I would want in the future.... something very like ESO in the TES IP {with a better game engine and more expansion of the TES universe). And I really don't know what you mean by "a live service single player game".

I still want to know why you're asking this if you're not a shill for a game company.
    Edited by TaSheen on June 20, 2024 3:39AM

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
    Options
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Quite simply the appeal for me was the story not ending that your character could continue to go on further adventures, instead of having to start again from the beginning with either a fresh character or your current character in new game plus in single player games.

As for live service, far as I am concerned it is a business model that should die out as soon as possible.

Single player games should never have a cash shop or always online requirement.

As for multiplayer games, cash shops should be for cosmetics and quality of life stuff never pay to win no surprise mechanics and the cost of individual items should go back to being micro transactions, as in a price cap of $5 max for any one item/cosmetic, none of this macro transaction crap with stuff in the cash shop costing more than a triple A game in some cases.
    Options
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play solo because ESO is for me a place to take a rest aside of my main game. I logon to chill solo, based on mood of the moment and caring about self only. It's totally egoistic! o:):D
    I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message... PC/NA
    Options
  • SandandStars
    SandandStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play solo, almost exclusively pvp. Just enough pve to get gear.

I enjoy the challenge of playing against skilled, smart opponents.

Doing dungeons & quests is pretty monotonous & boring by comparison.
    Options
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    bmnoble wrote: »

Single player games should never have a cash shop or always online requirement.

Cash shop aside (no one likes that) always online have it's fair uses, like server side calculations which can be plenty saving players hardware capacity and that's the only one I'd take personally. Shame that in actuality some using this just as an excuse to always have you tied to their online shop instead of providing you with something useful.
    Options
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    it's more like an Elder Scrolls rpg with multiplayer than other mmos.

it's lovely that I'm not alone in the game world, but i don't have to play with others to play eso.

i do sometimes play with others as it just happens when fighting incursions or world bosses. and i do trials and dungeons sometimes.

but there's so much we can do alone that i don't understand why it's even a question.
    we can do stuff completely alone like decorate houses, play tribute, do story quests, and go to the infinite Archive.

And no i would not enjoy a live service single player game. i enjoy being able to do stuff with others whenever. the choice always being there is a nice thing.
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
    Options
  • Thormar
    Thormar
    ✭✭✭✭
    The above question is somewhat vague.
    I'd rather it was explicit: if there was a group ingame (discovered accidentally or actively), about whom the following were true, would I or any insular solo player continue to play solo?
    If said group was made of people of similar: age range, cultural background, upbringing, values, same social-economic status, theological outlooks that more or less align.
    Playing solo I suspect would happen a lot less.
    For me, what causes unspoken friction, leading to distancing is significant misalignment of a few of the above criteria.

Conversely, I suspect that if you randomly selected any player happy in a group setting, it's highly likely many of their regular group mates are regular because they satisfy many of the above listed criteria. And once that breaks down, they probably become solo or more likely switch games to seek that alignment (camaraderie).
    What if I go north? Disappear.
    Would you come after me?
    Options
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some players hold the idea that if you play a game that others are playing you should be grouping with them. This is not what MMO means.

MMO only means that there are multiple players in the game world at the same time. Players can interact with others if they choose, but it's not expected or required. Playing solo is a perfectly valid way to play.

Just like real life. We decide how much interaction we want with others, if any at all.
    Edited by SilverBride on June 20, 2024 6:21AM
    PCNA
    Options
  • SkaiFaith
    SkaiFaith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I soloed Dungeons like Blackheart Haven and arenas like Dragonstar, the only time I group up is when people are farming Bosses/Events and don't talk in large group, just help each other in fight.

I think a lot of people who play solo don't like... People, or social interactions, even in real life. I assure you I am an extroverted person, but being tolerant is hard sometimes. Different time zones and languages are another factor.

Why I play an MMO instead of a single player? Convenience.
    I love that I can buy from traders what I can't get by myself. In fact I spend more time avoiding fights and just running from market to market.

About that and the "crown store" thing - it would be cool if everything could be purchasable in-game with gold, but I'm afraid prices would be made too high.
    Generally if I can get something for free I do that way, but there are times when I'm impatient, like I bought at launch the Shardborn style with crowns - it was too good, and I already had the crowns needed.

The multiplayer aspect of an MMO has pros and cons, but even being a solo player I would never go back to a single player game - too many disadvantages there, and the feeling of being lonely.
    Options
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My goal starting out was to do all the solo content I could. I came from Oblivion and Skyrim and a bunch of other D&D type single player RPGs. I like just doing whatever I want and enjoying the game music and the scenery.

I did get into a trials group and do enjoy the social aspect of playing together. It’s very satisfying when everyone is working together and can reach whatever goal we have set. I also just queue up for pledges since I usually can’t find a group in my guild when I am on during the day. I’m not really socializing in a random group but we are playing together.

It doesn’t have to be an either/or situation. There are parts to each that I enjoy.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

Options
  • AuroranGoldenEagle
    AuroranGoldenEagle
    ✭✭✭
    I like playing games at my own pace and in my own time. I can be quite busy, and honestly can't commit towards progressing in a trial or a pvp campaign, or even sometimes trading minimums.

I also have a good group of friends and family irl, so personally don't feel the need or want to socialize while gaming, it's my quiet time so to speak. Even so, ESO has so much going for it, and I especially love housing and fashion and that is what I work towards.

As for cash shops, I get why in ESO, but despise them in single player games. Luckily, most games I play aside from ESO are 10+ years or more, with no cash shop in sight!
    You have discovered the thirty-seventh Sermon of Vivec, which is a bending of the light, long past the chronicles of the Hortator who wore inconstant faces and ruled however they would, until apocalypse.
    Options
  • Nathrai
    Nathrai
    ✭✭✭✭
    To be true, I find the question borderline offensive, and it sounds kind of baity. Like a "you're doing it wrong - why?", especially with the paragraph about live services.

But here's a few personal reasons:

1) Elder Scrolls, of course.

Most single player games have this shallow, utilitarian background world, whereas many a plant had to be smoked in order to bring us the vast and lively world of the Aurbis.

2) Being alone together.

It's hard to imagine since nowadays the internet has been turned into this phrenetic extrovert fest, but in the beginning it was a safe haven for introverted people to be "alone together". Doing stuff our way at our pace, but never lonely. Existing parallel to each other, helping each other out when need be, sometimes writing with each other, sometimes just quietly enjoying life side by side.

3) Helping out or getting help.

Few people are exclusively playing solo. I know no-one, and so far I can only spot one in this thread so far (and they have every right to do so!). Most of us actually do band together (formally in groups and guilds or informally during overworld content) from time to time, helping each other out or simply enjoying the benefit of being stronger together.

As has been mentioned above, even the simple act of selling an item can help another player to get something they are not able/willing to gain on their own.

4) Socializing while playing.

Guilds are a great way to casually socialize while playing, without the need to do the same stuff at the same time. Instead of playing a single player game and having to switch between Discord and the game, you can just read and write right there - or you can ignore the chat while being "in the zone" or doing more demanding stuff.

5) A lively world.

While I would gladly take a pass on exploding particle effect monstrosities galloping through the cities, other players make the world feel alive. I love cities bustling with activity, seing actual people on the streets, marveling at other people's outfits or proudly displaying my own.

And sometime I even revel in fighting hiding from other people, enemies with an actual brain that don't just stand in my AEOs to be slaughtered. Sneaking through IC just wouldn't be the same kind of enjoyable stress with just a bunch of mindless NPC enemies around.

6) Roleplay - the real deal, not cRPG.

I've fallen out of love with roleplaying a while ago thanks to the toxic RP community, but ESO just simply is the PERFECT MMO for that kind of stuff. For a couple of years, soloing more advanced stuff was mainly a way to earn outfits, pets, housing (items) and so on to use in RP.

7) Continuity.

I'm right with whoever wrote that they don't like games ending. With me that's going so far as to me abandoning a game right before the end just so I don't get to the dreaded credits screen.

ESO doesn't simply end, there's always something to do, always a new chapter or DLC to look forward to. And, other than single player live service games, it's not terribly overpriced and almost non-existant new content we get, but whole new storylines, new systems, great dialog with fleshed out characters.

If (according to your post) you don't really enjoy the quests and systems, maybe you're actually the one playing it wrong instead? Because ESO has a LOT of interesting content.

So, no. I don't want single player games with live services, because in single player games they are just worthless predatory gimmicks instead of actual content to look forward to. And I don't want to pay extra for cosmetics (I'll never understand the concept when nobody but myself will ever see it).

The crown store is a totally different beast. Is it silly to pay 100 bucks for a stupid virtual house? Yes, it is. But to me it's a way to pay for servers and continuous development. I get something nice for my "donation", and I know during times when money is tight, I can play for free with others paying instead. To me it's not a hopelessly overpriced transaction, but rather an investment, one that has brought me thousands of enjoyable hours in this game.
    Edited by Nathrai on June 20, 2024 8:15AM
    Azura'm s'wit
    Options
  • Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it's like having a single player game that is designed not to run out. So, surely, the better question would be: why not play solo in an MMO?
    Options
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a few things that still make ESO one of a kind. For me, these always include the freedom to create builds (the most important aspect for me), the cool dynamic combat, the extensive and interesting quests, and the PvP (the multiplayer aspect I enjoy the most). Unfortunately, the overland quests have lost their charm for me with the disappearance of any level of difficulty. Fortunately, some activities still require guild members to help e.g. kill a world boss or complete a world event, so the PvE aspect of playing with others is still present—though much less so, but still there.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
    Options
  • Pelanora
    Pelanora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like more content in my favourite single player games, but live service meaning events, well not so much. The events in eso have also got pretty stale fast, I think they need to throw some new ideas around for some of them... new life I'm looking at you... and some wholely new ones, I'd be happy to see.

And there's some games I don't want to see other gamers running around, and some games I don't mind.
    Options
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AzuraFan wrote: »
    There won't be a single answer to this. Every soloist will have different reasons.

I agree with this.

I think it's important to remember that things like this are rarely an absolute split. I suspect there's relatively few solo players who will genuinely never join a group or otherwise play together with other people. People who play ESO but try to ignore other players (which is what you seem to be assuming) will be even rarer (and then I can tell you it's probably because they want to play all the Elder Scrolls games).

I'm primarily a solo player, but I like playing an MMO (in addition to many other games, both single and multiplayer) because I like having other people around and the variety that brings. I can't play with a static group even if I wanted to because my free time is very unpredictable and what I want to do with it even more so. My first MMO was Ultima Online and I quit that over 20 years ago because you really needed to be online at the same time every day (or at least on the same days each week) to meet and play with the same people to get anywhere in that game. For years I thought that meant MMOs weren't going to work for me (the one thing which hasn't changed in my life in the past few decades is unpredictable free time, partially because I prefer it this way). Then I discovered Guild Wars 1 which was, as far as I'm aware, one of the first solo friendly MMOs, and later Guild Wars 2 and Elder Scrolls Online.

The main appeal for of this game for me is that it's an Elder Scrolls game. Without that I wouldn't have looked twice at it, because I wasn't looking for another MMO. But I've wanted to explore all of Tamriel (and maybe the rest of Nirn and some of Oblivion) since I first played Morrowind - I found it so frustrating that the game was full of books telling me about people and places I couldn't visit in the game. ESO is my first (and honestly only) chance at having the whole continent in one game. Yes a lot of the zones are stripped down, minimalist versions of what they could be in a single-player game, but that's still better than nothing.

Importantly I don't do the same quests over and over, and I agree it would be extremely boring if I did. I don't think doing the same things over and over with a group would be all that different, which is why I rarely play PvP - sooner or later I get bored with taking and retaking the same objectives repeatedly, knowing it will never have any outcome other than the match resets or someone else takes them again. Sometimes the individual fights can be interesting for a bit, but that's rarely enough to hold my interest. Instead I spend most of my time doing story quests, because I find the stories interesting. I will eventually repeat them on other characters, but I take care to space my characters out so I'm not going over the same things multiple times in a row.

A lot of what you listed in your first post - being part of a community, random silly interactions, meeting new people don't require playing group content as part of a party or raid team or whatever (in fact I'd argue random interactions and meeting new people are more likely when you're not shut away in an instance with only your pre-formed group), so they apply just as much to solo players as anyone else.

So no I don't want a store or cosmetic rewards or "live service" in every game I play and I don't think that fixation on loot and rewards has anything to do with being a solo player. If anything it seems to me it's the people who see ESO as simply another MMO to grind through until the next one comes along who tend to focus on the rewards, probably because that's how some older MMOs were designed and how they've been trained to play.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    Options
  • LanteanPegasus
    LanteanPegasus
    ✭✭✭✭
    For me, the question should be "why do you, as a solo player, play in an MMORPG?", and the answer is "Because Bethesda didn't give me another TES title, and I couldn't find enough substitutes."
    There just are no games out there that offer what Elder Scrolls does. For me, the important things are:
    - freedom of character choice (not being stuck with being a particular character, like in the Witcher for example)
    - free and open game world, where I can go where I want, still find beautiful spots and quests everywhere, and can quest/explore/gather stuff as I want, not just follow the one and only story through the one and only path that the programmers saw fit to do
    - a setting that isn't "dark and edgy" (sadly, too many titles go for quite a dark and depressing baseline for their world, presumably because many people think of that as "cool")
    - combat that isn't turn based and not too complicated (with things like taking cover and stuff)
    The only other game I found that took my fancy was Kingdoms of Amalur, and I did enjoy it, but that was it.
    I held out on trying ESO until late in 2016 because it was a MMO, and I couldn't imagine that a MMO would even try to have the big world with lots of quests and flair instead of just the usual repeatable same-old things and bunch-people-together-group-soup. But friends tried it and assured me it could be played almost like a single player TES game, so I bought it, and was very pleasantly surprised, because they were right.
    Ironically, my impression is that ESO is catering more and more to what I though to be the typical MMO clientele, with more and more repeatable content, less open world (closed buildings, smaller zones), lots of collectibles/grind and less story and flair.
    I wouldn't care if a single player game is on a live server or not, as long as it ticks the boxes I mentioned. I don't see a need for one, though. And I'd definitely not want some store, no matter what is sold.
    Options
  • old_scopie1945
    old_scopie1945
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a TES game for many and we play it like a TES game. I feel that you have more freedom in what and when you do as a solo player. I play solo mostly but also play with my brother on occasions. We are both in our 70's and mostly prefer to go our own way. I will play in PUG groups if I need content and have played in some Guild groups. That being said it is not my thing and I prefer my own company. I am not a great fan of MMOs in general, but it is Elder Scrolls and I love it for that. It is also a great game in its own right. I often think it would be great if it was a solo game, but of course, logistically that is not possible. I must admit I do enjoy helping other players but detest those that only think of themselves.
    Edited by old_scopie1945 on June 20, 2024 10:25AM
    Options
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I tend to "play" solo BUT I spend countless hours chatting to the friends and the guild mates that I have made and met over the last ten years.....

Does that make me a solo player or not??? <3
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
    Options
  • tohopka_eso
    tohopka_eso
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I've playing MMOs since '99. In that it was EQ. Learned how to kite and solo as ranger there. Sure I tried to group and joined a raid guild but would still solo.
    Never been one to actively make friends and I like playing games that have that fantasy medieval feel. And seeing others in the world was nice because at the time I thought everyone had that same vibe.
    Played other MMOs and single player games. First elder scrolls game I played was oblivion then Skyrim.
    It wasnt just the lore that got me but it was like EQ to me but single. Only problem was I got use to the world chatting and would go between that and then EQ2.
    Beta opened up and I quickly joined, but was also trying another MMO and didn't like the direction ESO went in the beginning so played the other game till I heard of one tamerial and came back.
    ATM I still play both but solo still. I'm a loner, introverted type person but will converse with people if they make the first comment.
    Options
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Playing ESO solo is pretty much what I imagined when I first heard about MMORPGs.

This was back in the late 90's when the idea was relatively new. I'd played some MUDs but MMOs sounded different, not just because of the graphics but because of the number of people who could be online at once. What I imagined was a world where you're playing your RPG character off on their adventures, but instead of only meeting NPCs with a few pre-scripted lines to say you would also meet a whole load of other players and could have much more in-depth interactions and role-play stories.

FYI this was shortly before the first Baldur's Gate game was released, story telling, and dialogue generally, in RPGs was much more limited than anything we've got today. It was actually after one of many rounds of "AI is going to revolutionise games" but around the time it was becoming clear a lot of the proposed uses, especially more realistic NPCs, were years away at best.

Honestly if someone had told me then that their vision for an MMORPG was a glorified lobby game where the overworld is used only to learn the basics and find a guild and a static team to progress through increasingly difficult instanced areas, grinding them over and over for necessary drops to progress to the next thing, I might have never tried playing them at all.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    Options
  • Bucky_13
    Bucky_13
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But for those that do play solo only, I don't understand why that would be puzzling to anyone. Maybe they just like seeing the world look alive with other players as they travel through Tamriel doing their own thing.

This is pretty much the reason why I enjoy playing MMOs solo. Although I mostly play with others nowadays, I spent a lot of time playing solo before. Seeing other people around me and occasionally having interactions with them made it more fun unpredictable compared to a true single player game.
    Options