Maintenance for the week of July 1:
• NA megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Question for Solo Players

• AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It comes across to me that those who choose to play solo are being identified as the exception and not the norm... as something that needs to be justified.

Which isn't true (being the exception), in the sense that it's not rare to solo in MMOs. I believe a study done on the typical MMO population showed that a significant number of players solo. It's not a small number.

Also, as others have mentioned but I didn't include in my response, I don't like to group, but I feel like part of a living world when I see other players running around.

Also, I do play with other players when taking down WBs or doing things like lava vents and mirror incursions. I'm just not grouped with them. (That's why I hated the Bastion Nymic. It's not possible to casually group in that way.)
    Options
  • Ashryn
    Ashryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that Extroverts and Introverts will always have a difficult time comprehending the other. Our needs are different and maybe also the way we view the world (which spills over to games). I do believe the world needs us both!

Although I have always been an Elder Scrolls fan from the beginning, I didn't join ESO until 2007 when I read an article that pointed out how friendly it was to play SOLO in ESO. I'm an Introvert. Although I sometimes will PVP, grouping up can be a strain on me. I much prefer to do things myself at my own pace...no pressure... and I don't have to engage in conversation (which I find awkward with the controls on PC).

In real life dealing with people usually leaves me exhausted. I'd much rather read a book, play SOLO in ESO, walk in the forest, and share my world with close family, a few trusted friends (upon occasion), and my animals (they are always at my side!).
    Options
  • Desiato
    Desiato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    Social anxiety might be one reason not to interact with others. But it's very much possible not to be anxious, but just disinterested. If I have to interact with people, I have no problems at all. People were even amazed how "confident" I was when holding a speech or being on stage, I got compliments about it all the time (if they even knew it was nonchalance more than anything...). But that still doesn't mean that I have a need for social interaction. Simple comparison: Some people don't like cake. They don't want to be encouraged to eat cake. That doesn't mean they are afraid of cake.

Yeah, it's definitely nuanced.

I'm an ambivert, equally capable of being an extrovert or introvert, depending on the situation. I'm capable of leading, following or going it alone. While there can be value in being part of a group, I'm not willing to compromise my values to do it. I want all of my relationships to be as reciprocal as possible. Freedom and agency are important to me.
    spending a year dead for tax reasons
    Options
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    furiouslog wrote: »
    I know what I think, but I'm not sure if I am good at something until I have a benchmark. If I tally up the things I am "good" or "bad" at, that pretty much helps me to understand myself.

To me it sounds more like we value different things. I have different talents, that of cause have been tested and proven, proven by succeeding in them. The deed is the proof, not people commenting on the deed. Of course if you value, say, making jokes as a talent, then you would need feedback by other people who tell you whether your jokes are good. If you're a mountaineer or a free diver, your talent is proven by reaching your set goal, or set a new private record, no people and their opinions involved. I think introversion vs extroversion already influences which things we value, what hobbies we have, what talents we notice and pursue.
    That's not to say that people who are "shy" are less intelligent - it's more that other drivers of types of intelligence are responsible for brain development.

I can only repeat: Shyness and introversion are different things. Shyness or even social anxiety include being afraid or nervous. An introvert may have social anxiety as an additional condition, but it's not the same as introversion. You may not understand how it is possible not to need social interaction (much or at all), so you try to explain it to yourself with the only thing you could understand as a motive, which seems to be fear, but please accept it when people tell you that it's absolutely not the way you assume. It comes across as rude to ignore or even deny what other people say about their feelings and motivations just because they seem foreign to you. If you truly have more empathy being an extrovert, you certainly understand.

Edited by Syldras on June 20, 2024 6:54PM
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
    Options
  • Bo0137
    Bo0137
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is actually a very interesting question because the answer might also be very interesting.

I play ESO mostly solo, so I consider myself a solo player in a MMO world.

Why do I even bother playing a MMO? Why not go to a single player entry in the franchise? Well, simply because I love interacting with other people.

Sure, 99% of my game time is running things alone but all of this time I am bumping into other people and occasionaly sharing a treasure chest, roleplaying an emote, whispering people I like their outfit, inviting random adventurers to help me run a world boss. And the trading! The trading is awesome, makes the game much more alive!

Do I like being forced into grouping with other people? No, absolutely not. I haven't pursued endgame content - ever - because of that. Would I play ESO if it was a single player live service? No, absolutely not. I really like the online aspect.

I like logging in in this living, breathing universe. I like meeting new people. I like seeing randoms riding their horses away.

There's this very specific niche of people who like seeing other people but don't enjoy being forced to do so. I strongly believe the beauty of a MMO is that. A good MMO design manages to put people together and not *force* them to be together.

ESO is the apex of this good design. I really believe it being a single megaserver, the huge roleplay elements, the ease to interact with other people, the many activities that organically incentive (and not force) people working together, makes ESO perfect for people like me.
    -On my shoulder, Ms. Ahvine
    Options
  • rothan117
    rothan117
    ✭✭✭
    As I have gotten older and slower, my taste for group content like Trials etc has vanished. I cannot keep up with the mechanics anymore. But I do really enjoy the long term persistent world where you keep the same character and the story gets expanded regularly with new content. I also enjoy that I can interact with others on occasion and sell my surplus stuff to other players. So I play the story/overland content which is sedate enough that I can do it, I can jump in on the overland group stuff like the events in Gold Road or dragons in Elswyer, if I get killed I am not letting the team down like in a trial.
    Options
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Well, you know what? I can't find any fault with your point of view! It honestly wouldn't hurt me to be less eager to comment when I take exception to something, especially when the hard evidence isn't there. You've got me there.

And, since you bested me, I'm going to offer you an answer to the OP's question, from my perspective. I originally started playing ESO with a single friend. I've met a few more since then, and I've even been a member of a guild for years now that is aware of and accepting of my social inclinations. Hardly anyone is a complete introvert. I enjoy occasionally playing with my friends, or even interacting with the guild, even if I volunteer less of my time than some of the other members.

You say your sense of self is processed through interacting with others. That's legitimate, even though I don't completely understand it. My sense of self very much requires periods of solitude and introspection. I don't always need someone to be there to feel grounded in self and space. Sometimes friends worry that they're leaving me alone too much, and I have to assure them that I'm really okay. The truth is, if I don't get that time to reflect, I get exhausted, overwhelmed, and my behavior socially suffers. I definitely perform better when I have ample time to consider the social needs of others and how to navigate them.

Why be in ESO without my small entourage online? Well, there are plenty of things to do that don't necessarily functionally benefit from having another player there. It can be fun to achieve something on my own and then show my friends the cool new thing later on. Plus, while I don't like talking to strangers so much, I do like watching them. That may be a little selfish, but I feel like a video game is a rare opportunity to do that without impeding on someone's privacy or making them feel unsafe. It's nice to see people just vibing out there. I suppose it's like real life; I don't enjoy people but it's nice knowing they're out there.

But tbh I'm always just spinning my wheels until the next FromSoftware project. ESO won't see me again for a while after tomorrow when that Elden Ring DLC drops. 😁

Excellent answer!

As far as extroversion versus introversion, psychologically it's less about being outgoing or not. A couple of you could not relate to what I said about interactions with others. Pulling back further, there are, at the extreme, two types of people in this category: people who define themselves from within (and prefer alone time), and people who define themselves by gathering information to understand themselves (and engage in more social activity than "average"). The people at the ends of that spectrum tend not to get the people at the other end. You can explain it to someone, but you can't necessarily try the idea on to see if it fits because it just won't. I know what I think, but I'm not sure if I am good at something until I have a benchmark. If I tally up the things I am "good" or "bad" at, that pretty much helps me to understand myself. Extend that to things like communication, teaching, joking, and all of that, and I have a pretty robust feedback loop that starves if it gets no information.

Recent neuroscience research has demonstrated that some social interaction is necessary to develop intelligence on a number of fronts - a recent paper showed that pre-frontal cortex development and activity is directly correlated with the number of people one has in one's social network (not just online). That's not to say that people who are "shy" are less intelligent - it's more that other drivers of types of intelligence are responsible for brain development.

That's a long winded way of saying that people just grow up differently and it's harder for people who are on one end to really understand the people on the other end because their brains are just different. However, that being said, attributes like empathy and other characteristics of emotional intelligence are stronger in extroverts than introverts, so theoretically, I ought to be able to understand where you're coming from. I think I do, but I'm not pretending that I really "get it", because you are you and I am me and there is no way to be sure. You appear to be a classic introvert: all the stuff you shared (and thank you for your trust and honesty) points that direction, absent any other information. Solitude recharges you, just like 25-30% of the rest of the general population. I guess I don't "get it" but I do hear you. I hope you guys hear where I am coming from.

Either way, I'm glad that there is a game that we can both play and enjoy together (or not), and we do definitely share a love of ESO lore and its world, and that's a good thing. Enjoy your DLC!

In a way, it's clever to use others as a measuring stick for your own aptitudes, as long as it doesn't lead you to unnecessarily low self-esteem. The hazard of making assessments about yourself is that it absolutely requires constant self-monitoring, critical thinking and discipline. There are definitely people out there with an inflated sense of self grandeur. Ideally, I think a combination of both kinds of self-assessment (independent reflection and a social feedback loop) works the best. Social interaction of some kind is absolutely vital to a person's development (which doesn't stop after they've grown up!).

I'm sort of inclined to agree that someone with my social inclination tends to be less empathetic. I think the danger in a statement like that is that some people would take that to mean that introverted people care less. I'm not bothered to admit that I have to work harder to understand the feelings and motivations of other people, where that may come more naturally to someone that is more social. That's surely a part of why social interaction exhausts me. It's sort of a constant modeling of the social expectations that are set of me. But, I do care! A lot! Introverted people do. It's why we put in the work. (I know you understand that.). I guess I'd describe my approach to social interactions as "compassionate pragmatism." Learn what people need, and give them that, to the best of your ability.

As I was writing this, I was anticipating a phonecall. I received the phonecall, it was a long phonecall, and now my train of thought here is derailed. Just pretend I addressed all points and I had really insightful things to say. 😆

But yes it's nice that diverse people can find a common interest in something, say, a video game franchise.
    Edited by SickleCider on June 20, 2024 7:51PM
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
    Options
  • Nathrai
    Nathrai
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ashryn wrote: »
    I think that Extroverts and Introverts will always have a difficult time comprehending the other. Our needs are different and maybe also the way we view the world (which spills over to games). I do believe the world needs us both!
    Not just the world needs both, we definitely need each other.

At work, first thing I do when at a new company, is seek out the extroverts to see which ones are able to deal with the differences. Best workplace groups are the ones that have both introverts and extroverts in them, because we beautifully complement each other.

As long as the extroverts don't try to "convert" the introverts. Not only does it not work, it's effing disrespectfulg, too.

Same with games. Best guilds I've had the joy to be a part of catered to both ends of the spectrum. Lots of group fun for the extroverts (or the occasional introvert), lots of alone time for the introverts (or the occassional extrovert).

To me, that's the beauty of ESO. *I* can choose whether I want to chat, run Trials, take a newbie under my wings, zerg up in Cyro (all of which I love doing from time to time) - or solo WBs, run Maelstrom, farm stuff, furnish my twelveteen houses.
    Azura'm s'wit
    Options
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I know what I think, but I'm not sure if I am good at something until I have a benchmark. If I tally up the things I am "good" or "bad" at, that pretty much helps me to understand myself.

To me it sounds more like we value different things. I have different talents, that of cause have been tested and proven, proven by succeeding in them. The deed is the proof, not people commenting on the deed. Of course if you value, say, making jokes as a talent, then you would need feedback by other people who tell you whether your jokes are good. If you're a mountaineer or a free diver, your talent is proven by reaching your set goal, or set a new private record, no people and their opinions involved. I think introversion vs extroversion already influences which things we value, what hobbies we have, what talents we notice and pursue.
    That's not to say that people who are "shy" are less intelligent - it's more that other drivers of types of intelligence are responsible for brain development.

I can only repeat: Shyness and introversion are different things. Shyness or even social anxiety include being afraid or nervous. An introvert may have social anxiety as an additional condition, but it's not the same as introversion. You may not understand how it is possible not to need social interaction (much or at all), so you try to explain it to yourself with the only thing you could understand as a motive, which seems to be fear, but please accept it when people tell you that it's absolutely not the way you assume. It comes across as rude to ignore or even deny what other people say about their feelings and motivations just because they seem foreign to you. If you truly have more empathy being an extrovert, you certainly understand.

Ah yes, this was a thing I didn't address in my response. This is correct. I would not describe myself as "shy," and no one to my knowledge has ever described me that way. I'm actually quite confident in a conversation BECAUSE of my detachment from other people. I'm not very worried about the way that others will evaluate me. It actually ends up being an apparently attractive social quality to other people, based on how easily people (especially the elderly and children for whatever reason) approach me. I interact, we have a pleasant time (or we don't), and I move on.
    Options
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there is way too much emphasis being put on whether someone is an introvert or an extrovert. These are not set in stone determining factors in whether someone plays solo or group. Sometimes it's just a matter of personal preference.

I'd also like to point out that there is a huge casual solo playerbase in this game so why are they being treated like outliers when they are obviously the majority?
    PCNA
    Options
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a way, it's clever to use others as a measuring stick for your own aptitudes, as long as it doesn't lead you to unnecessarily low self-esteem. The hazard of making assessments about yourself is that it absolutely requires constant self-monitoring, critical thinking and discipline. There are definitely people out there with an inflated sense of self grandeur.

But isn't it funny that these usually aren't introverts? The biggest braggards I've seen were people who used every occasion to show off how grand they are - or thought themselves to be.

The introverts I know are indeed self-reflective and critical people, sometimes maybe too critical. I always assumed this is part of being an introvert: being introspective. We don't withdraw into silence to do nothing, after all.
    I'm sort of inclined to agree that someone with my social inclination tends to be less empathetic.

I have no problem admitting that most people are a mystery to me. I can understand their motivations based on logic, but I don't "feel" them. When I was in my teens (13 to 17 or so), I considered it an interesting riddle to be solved. I thought I might find out how this all "works" if I analyze it long enough - I did not, and once I turned 22 or so, I gave up. Not frustrated, but accepting that I'm probably just wired differently, so this will never be something I can comprehend on a more personal basis, or any other basis than logical reasoning - and that it's a mutual "problem" anyway. I kept wondering for a while what the reasons are (Different cultural upbringing? Might I relate to people from my parents' ethnical provenance more? Or to an older generation, as my parents were already older than average when they raised me? Or might it be autism or some other brain difference?), but I don't really think it matters anymore. It's the way it is, and that's fine.

I don't think it's related to introversion, by the way. Or not neccessarily. I know introverts who have lots of empathy, and that's contributing to their exhaustion when interacting with other people. It's not that they have to think too much about everything or have to put energy into behaving "normally", but they seem to feel more than others, notice every small undertone and notion, and that wears them out.
    Learn what people need, and give them that, to the best of your ability.

Exactly. In my case it's a logic approach. More mental than emotional, so to say. And even if I really don't care about someone, basic rules of ethics are still important to me. Politeness is the minimum everyone deserves.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    Options
  • Nathrai
    Nathrai
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think there is way too much emphasis being put on whether someone is an introvert or an extrovert. These are not set in stone determining factors in whether someone plays solo or group. Sometimes it's just a matter of personal preference.

I'd also like to point out that there is a huge casual solo playerbase in this game so why are they being treated like outliers when they are obviously the majority?
    Not set in stone, of course, but there's definitely tendencies. I guess playing only solo would be as tough on an extrovert as playing only in groups would be for me? I would never try to force one of them into solo gameplay, so I just don't get why we're not getting the same courtesy the other way round.

(Btw, please pardon the generalization - there's lots and LOTS of group players out there that are perfectly considerate. And even those who try to "convert" us are sometimes doing so in a well-meaning, yet very misled way.)
    Azura'm s'wit
    Options
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sidebar, you guys are right about the words "extrovert" and "introvert." They're handy words in a shorthand case because people generally understand what they mean, but they do tend to be rather rigid and loaded with preconceptions. In reality people are a lot more nuanced than those words suggest. I usually prefer to call people "hyper social" or "hypo social" to reflect the amount of measurable time they spend voluntarily in social interaction.
    Options
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nathrai wrote: »
    ...even those who try to "convert" us are sometimes doing so in a well-meaning, yet very misled way.

Solo players aren't some type of abborition that needs "converted", yet they are treated as though there is something wrong with them that needs to be corrected. I don't see trying to change someone into something someone else thinks they should be as "well-meaning". This needs to change.
    Edited by SilverBride on June 20, 2024 8:42PM
    PCNA
    Options
  • AlterBlika
    AlterBlika
    ✭✭✭✭
    More people playing solo is because all content in ESO is soloable, except for trials. Which is good tbh, because you don't really need guilds and friends to get the most out of the game. You also can pug anything to farm gear or do something that isn't soloable almost without social interactions.

So, people play ESO solo because it allows them to play solo?
    Options
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have no problem admitting that most people are a mystery to me. I can understand their motivations based on logic, but I don't "feel" them. [. . .] It's the way it is, and that's fine.

That sounds a lot like the journey I had. It's funny, and you probably also found this to be true, but after accepting that about myself, I not only found relationships more easily navigable for myself, but I was also better prepared to listen, learn, and become a better friend. I'd go so far as to say I even treat people I have no investment in whatsoever with more grace.

Options
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In short, I play ESO because the only games I have seriously played in the past 2 decades are Elder Scrolls games.
    With the huge delay between Skyrim and Elder Scrolls 6, I got to where I wanted something other than Skyrim but was not ready to leave Tamriel.

Edit:
    I have no real life friends that I know of, who also play ESO.
    Edited by Tornaad on June 20, 2024 9:12PM
    Options
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlterBlika wrote: »

Fixed it for you ;) Although that's of course not true in general. But I think, it's true for some people - and it's probably more than just a tiniest minority.
    That sounds a lot like the journey I had. It's funny, and you probably also found this to be true, but after accepting that about myself, I not only found relationships more easily navigable for myself, but I was also better prepared to listen, learn, and become a better friend. I'd go so far as to say I even treat people I have no investment in whatsoever with more grace.

No, in my case, that's not true at all. I never had any problems with self-acceptance, neither with interacting with people or with finding friends. I always had close friendships (from what I saw, they were even deeper than what was usual among peers that age; they talked about pop music or girls or soccer or whatever, and often got into fights about things that seem totally unimportant to us, while we talked about philosophy and the depths of human nature, including its abyss, often strongly disagreeing, but still sticking together - not saying one of these things is better than the other - measuring it by means of "normalcy", we were probably worse off; it's just a difference that was strongly noticeable). And I always cared for treating people with dignity, no matter if I personally care for them or not.

The only difference to "normal" people, I guess, is that I can not feel other people's motivations to do things. I understand that they value certain things I do not care for, and that they do a lot to get those things. I see that they care for other aspects of life than I do. And that's fine. None of my business. It has always been like that. We always got along, knowing that we're different. The only thing that changed within me over time is that I don't try to "get" the reason for this difference anymore. The only reason I originally wondered had been curiosity, though. Curiosity for the world, for nature, for the human brain, for how society "functions". Call it a research project or study, if you will. This study is terminated, without result. But other than that, nothing changed. Except I have more time to study other things now.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    Options
  • Nathrai
    Nathrai
    ✭✭✭✭
    Solo players aren't some type of abborition that needs "converted", yet they are treated as though there is something wrong with them that needs to be corrected. I don't see trying to change someone into something someone else thinks they should be as "well-meaning". This needs to change.
    There's a German saying ... "Well intended is the opposite of good".

Yes, it has to stop, of course. But a lot of times it doesn't happen to spite us, but simply because extroverts grow up being told that we are lonely and suffering, and "getting us out of our shell" would actually help us. It doesn't, but THEY don't know that.
    I don't think it's related to introversion, by the way. Or not neccessarily. I know introverts who have lots of empathy, and that's contributing to their exhaustion when interacting with other people.
    That would be me, so I can confirm that it has nothing to do with introversion ... :D

Another misconception (both with introverts and solo gamers) is that we have no social interactions and all of us are misantropes. I personally am a gregarious animal, I would die if I had no social interactions. They drain me, but I still need them, and the whole "alone together" thing is my personal source of joy.

First thing I did when coming back to ESO was to ask my favourite guild whether I was allow to rejoin (I was - thanks, berry, you guys and gals rock :D ).
    Azura'm s'wit
    Options
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI no one in this topic has critised solo players or said anyone shouldn't play solo. The OP asked the question, all the replies since then have been people answering the question, or building this narrative where some people feel the need to 'defend' their choice against an attack which has not happened.

No one has said, or even suggested, that we can't or shouldn't play solo. It's clear that some people are nervous about being percieved as 'doing it wrong', but you don't need to justify yourselves.

Edit: Also if anyone is hoping for more insight from the OP it's unlikely you'll get it. Check their posting history: the post 4 or 5 things a year, if that, with no obvious consistency between them. It's likely it was a random thought that occured to them and they may have forgotten they even posted it by now. (I've certainly done that with forums I rarely visit.)
    Edited by Danikat on June 20, 2024 9:54PM
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    Options
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    FYI no one in this topic has critised solo players or said anyone shouldn't play solo. The OP asked the question, all the replies since then have been people answering the question, or building this narrative where some people feel the need to 'defend' their choice against an attack which has not happened.

No one has said, or even suggested, that we can't or shouldn't play solo. It's clear that some people are nervous about being percieved as 'doing it wrong', but you don't need to justify yourselves.

You're not wrong. I'm still side-eyeing the OP a little bit, but I freely admit I may have been projecting with my initial conclusion.
    Options
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AlterBlika wrote: »

Fixed it for you ;) Although that's of course not true in general. But I think, it's true for some people - and it's probably more than just a tiniest minority.

No, in my case, that's not true at all. I never had any problems with self-acceptance, neither with interacting with people or with finding friends. I always had close friendships (from what I saw, they were even deeper than what was usual among peers that age; they talked about pop music or girls or soccer or whatever, and often got into fights about things that seem totally unimportant to us, while we talked about philosophy and the depths of human nature, including its abyss, often strongly disagreeing, but still sticking together - not saying one of these things is better than the other - measuring it by means of "normalcy", we were probably worse off; it's just a difference that was strongly noticeable). And I always cared for treating people with dignity, no matter if I personally care for them or not.

The only difference to "normal" people, I guess, is that I can not feel other people's motivations to do things. I understand that they value certain things I do not care for, and that they do a lot to get those things. I see that they care for other aspects of life than I do. And that's fine. None of my business. It has always been like that. We always got along, knowing that we're different. The only thing that changed within me over time is that I don't try to "get" the reason for this difference anymore. The only reason I originally wondered had been curiosity, though. Curiosity for the world, for nature, for the human brain, for how society "functions". Call it a research project or study, if you will. This study is terminated, without result. But other than that, nothing changed. Except I have more time to study other things now.

Ohh, okay. Apologies for the assumption! That's good to hear, though. It sounds like you've always had a pretty healthy point of view, and I like that for you. It took me longer to arrive at a similar place. I'm sorry to say that my reaction to things was more antagonistic when I was a teenager.
    Options
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This game has been heavily marketed to the "Solo" player the last few years and the game has definitely reflected that both with the content , and the community. My main question is to solo players , why do you play solo only in an Mmorpg?
    There are several different aspects of MMO's that drive me to play them solo. Though I'm not "strictly" solo. I'm an introverted player who does enjoy a certain amount of social activity. My answers will be ESO specific.

1. Most single player games focus on a main character and story created by the developer, that you must follow on rails. With the exception of a few titles, I prefer to create my own characters in a game. MMORPG's allow me to do this. ESO in particular has an extensive customization system and hundreds of motifs. Paired with the housing system, I can create their homes and express parts of their backstory through various furnishings. (There are, of course, other solo games which have these aspects- but they are limited without extensive modding. Which I also do on Skyrim and Dragon Age Inquisition, but ESO still holds appeal due systems that those games don't have.)

2. The Challenge. It's fun to refine my combat abilities and gear so that I can solo content which is really designed for multiple players. It's part of how I embody the determined, warrior spirit of many of my characters who are always out to conquer the biggest, baddest thing they can find to do battle with. I enjoy learning the mechanics and thinking my way through a difficult situation. (Essentially, I like to play on Nightmare Mode+ lol, though ESO is comparatively easy to solo compared to some MMO's I've played that way. )

4. I have the choice to interact with other players if I want to, and do not have to be entirely isolated. I play solo most of the time, but I also enjoy interacting with the friends I've made participating in PVP in Cyrodiil, I like helping my guild (Which is largely made up of a lot of story-loving introverts like me, who want a safe place to ask for help, where they wont be judged for going off and doing their own thing afterwords. No obligations, no questions asked. You want total silence while running a dungeon to get immersed in a story? You want to go slow to enjoy the surroundings? We got your back.)

5. PVP is an available game mode, that I can interact with on my terms, if and when I want to. I actually love large-scale PVP siege warfare, and I enjoy the fact that I can hop into the action and fight without necessarily having to be in a group. What drew me to Cyro was the fact that I could play solo and learn at my own pace. (I was eventually picked up by a great group of friends who taught me a lot, though!)

Also I want to genuinely ask if you think a live service single player game is the type of game you would enjoy in the future? Do you want cosmetics and a store in every game you play? ( I promise I don't work for EA or Blizzard)

This has already been done by multiple single-player AAA titles. And let me tell you, the prices of those cosmetics are even more egregious than the crown store. While I love it when single player games get added to, I'm sick of paying top dollar for incomplete games. Those cosmetics should be in-game rewards, especially given the price of AAA titles these days. (I'm glad to see a rising trend of more cosmetic rewards being added to achievements in ESO, by the way. Appreciate the ability to earn mounts!)
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
    Options
  • Nathrai
    Nathrai
    ✭✭✭✭
    Edit: Also if anyone is hoping for more insight from the OP it's unlikely you'll get it. Check their posting history: the post 4 or 5 things a year, if that, with no obvious consistency between them. It's likely it was a random thought that occured to them and they may have forgotten they even posted it by now. (I've certainly done that with forums I rarely visit.)
    Like I said, it may be paranoia from being burnt over and over again (both in ESO as well as elsewhere). I don't know where this hatred for solo gamers is coming from, but it's there.

But OP's message has a few red flags, and it's not even the first time they were talking about people "playing the game wrong".

Either way, it has spawned an interesting topic with lots of different insights and enthralling points of view. So no matter what the original intention was, it lead to something good I'ld wager.
    Azura'm s'wit
    Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thormar wrote: »
    My main question is to solo players , why do you play solo only in an Mmorpg?
    The above question is somewhat vague.
    I'd rather it was explicit: if there was a group ingame (discovered accidentally or actively), about whom the following were true, would I or any insular solo player continue to play solo?
    If said group was made of people of similar: age range, cultural background, upbringing, values, same social-economic status, theological outlooks that more or less align.
    Playing solo I suspect would happen a lot less.
    For me, what causes unspoken friction, leading to distancing is significant misalignment of a few of the above criteria.

Conversely, I suspect that if you randomly selected any player happy in a group setting, it's highly likely many of their regular group mates are regular because they satisfy many of the above listed criteria. And once that breaks down, they probably become solo or more likely switch games to seek that alignment (camaraderie).

That's an interesting theory. However that's not how it works for me - neither in ESO or even real life. In real life, I am a hermit. Really the only interaction I have with others is with my husband of nearly 50 years - and similar cultural background, upbringing, and theological outlooks are NOT in play with us. I occasionally have to interact with other family members, which I do my very best to limit to brief visits as much as possible.

In ESO, I have no interest in group content of any kind. I refuse to waste my time in game being bothered by others wanting to group to do anything. I'm as solo as solo ever gets, and I like it that way.

I am happiest when totally alone - I haven't ever been lonely in my entire 76 years; it's far more likely that I will be gnashing my mental teeth when people are bothering me! The years husband was gone for the 5 days of the work week and only home on weekends - well, I've missed them ever since he retired....

I very much resent people impinging on my time and my aloneness. I am completely a loner, and as for being an introvert - that too describes me. When I worked I had to interact in a "normal" manner with employers, employees, clients, etc though I would never have said it was "fun". Hardly. I dislike "drop by" visits by anyone, and I REALLY hate phone calls from anyone.

I really need to move to Alaska's North Slope.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
    Options
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI no one in this topic has critised solo players or said anyone shouldn't play solo.The OP asked the question...

The question asked was "My main question is to solo players , why do you play solo only in an Mmorpg?"

This indicates an expectation that if anyone plays a multiplayer game they should be grouping up and actively playing with others, and if they aren't then an explanation is needed.
    PCNA
    Options
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another misconception (both with introverts and solo gamers) is that we have no social interactions and all of us are misantropes. I personally am a gregarious animal, I would die if I had no social interactions. They drain me, but I still need them, and the whole "alone together" thing is my personal source of joy.

I'm personally not. If I lived a few centuries earlier, I'd probably pretend to be religious to be allowed to become a hermit ;) I do observe and think about a lot of matters, so it's not like I ever get bored or run out of new input. Someone here wrote that we need human interaction to develop - I think it's one way to learn, to grow, to mature, but not the only one. We don't live in a void, after all. We are surrounded by nature, we can observe, we can read, we can contemplate about things we've seen, read or witnessed somewhere. Natural scientists of earlier times have spent years in the wilderness. Some painters as well as philosophers have lived for years as recluses to focus on their works. I doubt they have not learnt anything new in those years just because they didn't meet many people. They might have learned different things, but is that worse?

But what I actually wanted to write: Yes, it's truly a misconception that it's about misanthropy. Another misconception, to be more precise; the other one was already mentioned: sociophobia. I still think it's a way people who don't understand this try to find an explanation - and what they can think of is either fear or hatred, because those are big motives for many humans, I guess.
    Ohh, okay. Apologies for the assumption! That's good to hear, though. It sounds like you've always had a pretty healthy point of view, and I like that for you. It took me longer to arrive at a similar place. I'm sorry to say that my reaction to things was more antagonistic when I was a teenager.

Oh, don't worry. People make mistakes. The more important thing is whether they learn something in the end, or not. Also, it's not exactly rare to be antagonistic as a teen ;) It probably also differs by how one is treated for being different. If others treat one as a weirdo or outcast, it seems quite normal to me to be frustrated and then actively reject them.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    Options
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I'm personally not. If I lived a few centuries earlier, I'd probably pretend to be religious to be allowed to become a hermit ;) I do observe and think about a lot of matters, so it's not like I ever get bored or run out of new input. Someone here wrote that we need human interaction to develop - I think it's one way to learn, to grow, to mature, but not the only one. We don't live in a void, after all. We are surrounded by nature, we can observe, we can read, we can contemplate about things we've seen, read or witnessed somewhere. Natural scientists of earlier times have spent years in the wilderness. Some painters as well as philosophers have lived for years as recluses to focus on their works. I doubt they have not learnt anything new in those years just because they didn't meet many people. They might have learned different things, but is that worse?

But what I actually wanted to write: Yes, it's truly a misconception that it's about misanthropy. Another misconception, to be more precise; the other one was already mentioned: sociophobia. I still think it's a way people who don't understand this try to find an explanation - and what they can think of is either fear or hatred, because those are big motives for many humans, I guess.

Oh, don't worry. People make mistakes. The more important thing is whether they learn something in the end, or not. Also, it's not exactly rare to be antagonistic as a teen ;) It probably also differs by how one is treated for being different. If others treat one as a weirdo or outcast, it seems quite normal to me to be frustrated and then actively reject them.

Quite true, quite true. I do recall a pivotal moment in my early teens that I was shoved into a garbage can and rolled around the local park for a while. That would leave one with an attitude problem. 😆 (Don't feel sorry for me. It's hilarious in hindsight, because who does that happen to outside of a coming-of-age TV show?). Nevertheless, I do regret the way I treated some people, and how long it took me to grow past it.
    Options
  • Thormar
    Thormar
    ✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    That's an interesting theory. However that's not how it works for me - neither in ESO or even real life. In real life, I am a hermit. Really the only interaction I have with others is with my husband of nearly 50 years - and similar cultural background, upbringing, and theological outlooks are NOT in play with us. I occasionally have to interact with other family members, which I do my very best to limit to brief visits as much as possible.

In ESO, I have no interest in group content of any kind. I refuse to waste my time in game being bothered by others wanting to group to do anything. I'm as solo as solo ever gets, and I like it that way.

I am happiest when totally alone - I haven't ever been lonely in my entire 76 years; it's far more likely that I will be gnashing my mental teeth when people are bothering me! The years husband was gone for the 5 days of the work week and only home on weekends - well, I've missed them ever since he retired....

I very much resent people impinging on my time and my aloneness. I am completely a loner, and as for being an introvert - that too describes me. When I worked I had to interact in a "normal" manner with employers, employees, clients, etc though I would never have said it was "fun". Hardly. I dislike "drop by" visits by anyone, and I REALLY hate phone calls from anyone.

I really need to move to Alaska's North Slope.
    I was essentially referring to what I suspect is a type of solo player. A type willing to group with those that might be considered 'like minded' - as in shared characteristics, with those listed in the post you quoted being a few. There are other characteristics such as same skill level, etc.
    But.
    Like I implied and lots of comments since have made clear, there are a lot of players (different type of solo player?) who love and enjoy experiencing the game by themselves. Not because there's no one they could play with but do so even if they have and can call up on close ingame friends and family.

About your husband, the divines bless his soul, as everytime he gets a mention it's mostly a beating...

What if I go north? Disappear.
    Would you come after me?
    Options
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite true, quite true. I do recall a pivotal moment in my early teens that I was shoved into a garbage can and rolled around the local park for a while. That would leave one with an attitude problem. 😆 (Don't feel sorry for me. It's hilarious in hindsight, because who does that happen to outside of a coming-of-age TV show?). Nevertheless, I do regret the way I treated some people, and how long it took me to grow past it.

Well, no one should be treated like that, funny in hindsight or not. Let's hope they have also learnt something over the years (although I'm uncertain how often people actually learn something or even change at all; if I think of former classmates, there's rarely a big development, it's like just the scope of what they've always been like or have been doing has changed). But other than that... No big surprises.
    Thormar wrote: »
    About your husband, the divines bless his soul, as everytime he gets a mention it's mostly a beating...

If a "loner" says they miss being completely alone at times, that doesn't neccessarily mean they're unhappy with the people surrounding them. I cherish my friends very much. I'd even go so far that in an emergency I'd give my life for them, and I mean it. It's a very strong bond. But still, I wouldn't want to meet them every day.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    Options