Maintenance for the week of July 1:
• NA megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Feedback On Console Environmental Sustainability Features

• nebula3832
    nebula3832
    ✭✭✭
    Add me to list of unhappy customers been using the kick dirt emote alot in frustration
    Please have it as an option
    Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going from 60fps gameplay to 30fps every time I open the map is incredibly jarring. It's gotten to where if I have to look at the map I try to not move it around, just glance at the area it pulls up to see where I need to go. It's actually made me change/adapt the way I play, and that's not good.

I would have tied the framerate limiter to an inactivity timer, the same as the screen dimming. Go ahead and keep the gpu performance handicap, but make it only kick in if the player hasn't been giving any input for a couple minutes. If the player only needs to access the map or menus for a handful of seconds then we shouldn't have to drop performance for that.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Options
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Please allow me to disable this feature. After playing a few days with it, it is horrible. I cannot get used it. Looks and feels terrible on a big screen TV.

In addition, since you refuse to allow console players to have a mini map, I have to see this a lot.

Stop it please!!!!
    Options
  • RedKynAbyss
    RedKynAbyss
    Soul Shriven
    I play the game for 7 minutes now. I log in, get my daily reward, and go play something else. This change makes the game entirely unplayable and has been giving me headaches. Make the feature a toggle or get rid of it altogether.
    Options
  • Stafford197
    Stafford197
    ✭✭✭
    Any update here?
    Options
  • Ardaghion
    Ardaghion
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the lagginess and stutter were from the last Xbox update and the weird glow around the resource bar. Turns out that terrible stutter just watching my character turn around when accessing the inventory was intentional.

It is hard on the eyes and causes eye strain. Then there's the loss of resolution accessing my assistants for writ boxes. Both make me think I'm losing my vision. I have to agree with a few suggestions where you could achieve similar results without impacting immediate game play.

I tried to switch to PC and played for about 6 months but I just couldn't start from scratch after many years playing on Xbox. I returned to the Xbox only to be greeted by this non-optional change. I'll probably stop playing altogether until it is made optional or improved.

I really hope you revert these changes or at least remove the most noticeable effects.
    Options
  • alazar14
    alazar14
    ✭✭
    Any update here?

I am thinking it will be a while before we get any updates. As far as I have learned, the issue is more noticeable on console than PC, and console players are less likely to be here speaking out. Also, they implemented it on both, but PC players have an unofficial work around.

It's been a thing on PC for a few weeks ... So I don't know if and how long until Zenimax responds to this thread.
    Edited by alazar14 on June 21, 2024 5:12PM
    Options
  • La_Croft
    La_Croft
    Soul Shriven
    alazar14 wrote: »
    Any update here?

I am thinking it will be a while before we get any updates. As far as I have learned, the issue is more noticeable on console than PC, and console players are less likely to be here speaking out. Also, they implemented it on both, but PC players have an unofficial work around.

It's been a thing on PC for a few weeks ... So I don't know if and how long until Zenimax responds to this thread.

That's a shame...I was really excited to play the expansion...but as is, I started feeling sick after playing 2 quests. Game is legit unplayable for me. Might try to se the rest of the game to 30fps ...even though it will play like ***, at least i won't get motion sickness from the framerate change.

EDIT: Tried playing the game in fidelity mode, and while it's horrible at 30fps, seems like it at least is no longer giving me motion sickness. Maybe it will help some of you with the same issue.
    Edited by La_Croft on June 21, 2024 5:50PM
    Options
  • VouxeTheMinotaur
    VouxeTheMinotaur
    ✭✭✭
    Any update here?

I'm hoping there will be soon along with a response to the lagginess / rubber banding problem.
    I was upset to see the only activity for a fix on console was basically a "crashing when you see the crown store? uninstall and reinstall clear the cache in your system."

I've done this out of curiosity, but no change to the rubber banding or any other problems most are mentioning.
    PS5/NA: Vouxe_
    (she/her)
    Options
  • Sprigg
    Sprigg
    Soul Shriven
    Add me to the list of those who dislike it.
    Options
  • SkaiFaith
    SkaiFaith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any update here?

I think I read a Dev comment in another thread, talking of something else, who pointed out at an expected patch for July 10th or 11th, I can't remember exactly.

If this can get fixed too by then and included in the patch, it's still quite far off. Not a good start for the chapter on console... I feel bad for new players.
    Options
  • LaintalAy
    LaintalAy
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am not affected by this change.

What does affect me is:
    • January and February will see my local temperatures exceed 40C for most days
    • Most of my surrounding country will be susceptible to bushfires
    • My house has seen minor water inundation three times in 6 years.

I'm really sorry that your game play is being affected by my (and other's) reality.
    PC EU
    UTC+10:00
    Tin-can-and-string internet

Ald Chimeris
    Options
  • SkaiFaith
    SkaiFaith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaintalAy wrote: »

What does affect me is:

I'm really sorry that your game play is being affected by my (and other's) reality.

You are voluntarily ignoring the issues others are reporting and the topic of this thread started by the Devs themselves - giving feedback about these issues appeared because of this change.

We are not ignoring your issue, before you say it, it's just not the topic of this thread. What exactly is your comment adding to the Devs needed and requested infos?
    Edited by SkaiFaith on June 21, 2024 9:32PM
    Options
  • MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is horrific!!
    The map judders, the menus judder. It is like being dizzy every time you open a menu. Makes me a bit queasy, to be honest. I shall start dreading opening maps and menus.
    We spend a lot of time in our menus, or at least I do, as does my OH. There is always something that needs shifting around, or sorting, or sending somewhere else.

Exactly this. It’s headache inducing .
    Options
  • VisitHammerfell
    VisitHammerfell
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm all for saving the environment but it's an eye strain, and should be optional. I have dry eye & blepharitis and sometimes get those optical headaches and it doesn't feel good on my eyes. Dimming screens every time we try to try in writs is not going to prevent global warming. Please don't make people with eye conditions or really anybody suffer
    Edited by VisitHammerfell on June 21, 2024 10:48PM
    FOR THE COVENANT! 🦁

PS NA 2200+
    PS EU 1400+
    PS NA Alt 600+

Bring back Crafty Lerisa (with same voice actress)

Bring back Sergeant Seyne
    Options
  • VisitHammerfell
    VisitHammerfell
    ✭✭✭✭

What does affect me is:

People playing video games without eye torture is not your issue. Oil companies, mega corporations, the entire livestock industry (meat & dairy & soy grown to feed livestock), the wealthy taking private jets, overdependence on fossil fuels, lack of funding and support for green energy, fracking, and things like that are the issue. I'm really sorry you can feel no compassion for people physically suffering from this
    FOR THE COVENANT! 🦁

PS NA 2200+
    PS EU 1400+
    PS NA Alt 600+

Bring back Crafty Lerisa (with same voice actress)

Bring back Sergeant Seyne
    Options
  • VouxeTheMinotaur
    VouxeTheMinotaur
    ✭✭✭

What does affect me is:

it's crazy how you bring this up.... in a video game forum...
    (she/her)
    Options
  • LaintalAy
    LaintalAy
    ✭✭✭✭
    SkaiFaith wrote: »

What does affect me is:

You are voluntarily ignoring the issues others are reporting and the topic of this thread started by the Devs themselves - giving feedback about these issues appeared because of this change.

We are not ignoring your issue, before you say it, it's just not the topic of this thread. What exactly is your comment adding to the Devs needed and requested infos?

Yes, this is my feedback. Or are people who don't have an issue with this automatically excluded?

My comment adds to decision by many companies to reduce the overall burden of climate change, that is, I support this change as climate change is impacting the real world that I live in.

Many posts here "turn it off". I don't agree with that. I've watched for for 40 years as people denied what was happening.
    I don't want to see this development removed. I hope that explains it.
    PC EU
    UTC+10:00
    Tin-can-and-string internet

Ald Chimeris
    Options
  • Telos_Tim
    Telos_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find it outright hilarious whenever people try to claim the moral high ground.

Cobalt for the very phones and computers being used to post on these forums are produced by child labor, our vegetables brought to the table are harvested for a penny on the dollar by illegals, and anyone who uses oil for either their car or to heat their house is polluting the environment daily.

It is truly impossible.
    Options
  • Grec1a
    Grec1a
    ✭✭✭
    Or are people who don't have an issue with this automatically excluded?

You "don't have an issue with this" because you are playing on PC, not console, and are therefore not experiencing the nausea, eye strain and headaches that the console players are reporting. Nor do you apparently have any empathy for those who are suffering these effects.

Can you honestly tell us that if the changes affected PC players the same way, you'd be happy to sit there playing ESO in pain because it was 'saving the planet'? Colour me sceptical...
    It's a tradition, or an old charter, or something...
    Options
  • Bammlschwamml
    Bammlschwamml
    ✭✭
    "Environmental Sustainability Features" sounds nice and fancy, and i hope they can find ways to save energy. Ways that don't make me dizzy, sick and angry.

If they feel confident about the future of ESO, they could rewrite the whole game for better efficiency. Solar panels close to the server farms might be a good idea. They could invest in newer, better and more efficient server hardware, so it doesn't overheat every evening and break down under the load on weekends and holidays.

But then a lot more people would play this game and spend more money and energy on ESO, so that would be bad, right?
    Options
  • CedoNemini
    CedoNemini
    Soul Shriven
    I literally feel like throwing up whenever I scroll around on the map screen on my Series X. Someone else said that they've been just logging on to get their daily reward and that's it. I'm about to this point as well. It saddens me, but with as much as I use the map (wayshrines mostly) I can't stomach playing as often. It'd be nice if we got some sort of response from the devs.
    Options
  • D4rk
    D4rk
    My God... Anyone have a guess on when this would be fixed? I just got back after a long break... Noticed frame rate was strange sometimes... Switched performance and fidelity modes to see if it was a bug... Did some thinking and searched for it... Now i know.
    Options
  • VouxeTheMinotaur
    VouxeTheMinotaur
    ✭✭✭

What does affect me is:

it's crazy how you bring this up.... in a video game forum...

if i'm not mistaken too, this forum is for console players to express their concerns or problems with the change, yet you commented you play on PC
    SkaiFaith wrote: »

What does affect me is:

Yes, this is my feedback. Or are people who don't have an issue with this automatically excluded?

My comment adds to decision by many companies to reduce the overall burden of climate change, that is, I support this change as climate change is impacting the real world that I live in.

Many posts here "turn it off". I don't agree with that. I've watched for for 40 years as people denied what was happening.
    I don't want to see this development removed. I hope that explains it.

the thing that baffles me about your involvement in this thread: this is about console players concerns, and you decided to join in as a PC player, where PC has the option to turn this feature off, and still bring an issue that does not match the base topic of this thread.

Console does not have the option to turn it off, most of us are not asking for this to be removed entirely, we just want the option to choose.

If I'm running content like a trial, then a dungeon after, then exploring around the new zone, I would turn this off, the frame drop is not beneficial to game performance where, as I stated, a lot of players use their menus in the midst of content. If I'm hanging around Auridon to type in zone chat with others, or with my guild in the guild hall for RP, or any activity where my character is doing nothing, but I am socializing, this would be good to have on where performance doesn't matter because I am not running content, I'm standing or barely moving around from a small area.

A quick search will tell you that a PC set up consumes more power in a household, equivalent to up three refrigerators or five to ten gaming consoles. Even running a PC on low power consumption is still more than one console.

I am in no way disagreeing with you that the environment does need help, but to come to this thread with a PC signature and gaming set up to tell console players that we should be more considerate is something else honestly. I'm sorry that climate change effects your life, as it does for many people too, but again, this is a gaming forum about a video game. If this gets turned into an option and should console players decide to use the feature as I explained above, leave it on or off is just how it is, and that's life.

We still want the option.
    (she/her)
    Options
  • Bammlschwamml
    Bammlschwamml
    ✭✭
    One very easy place to start saving energy would be the character selection screen on Ps4. My Ps4pro used to turn into a jet engine after looking at my chars for too long. I am not sure if they already talked about changing this, but i feel like i heard it before somewhere. It's not that bad on ps5.

Another thing that used to freak me out is this big nebula furniture that will probably kill your console if you stare into it for too long. Don't go afk standing in this thing with first person view on! Don't even try it if you love your console:

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/celestial-nimbus/
    Options
  • dk_dunkirk
    dk_dunkirk
    ✭✭✭

What does affect me is:

The amount of energy being used right now by both cryptocurrency mining and AI model training could power small countries. The dozens of data centers for Amazon or Google or Facebook or Apple, each, all require an entire power plant to run. There are millions and millions of bog-standard POS Dell PC's that Microsoft LOVES to brag about, which literally every company in America gives to every one of their office workers, and all the servers it takes to coordinate them. And let's not forget the MOUNTAIN of computing resources being used by the country's intelligence services to monitor and record every email, browser visit, phone call, and text in the entire world. I cannot fathom the amount of energy I'm buying through my taxes to spy on myself.

I'm sorry, but even if we made all video gaming illegal tomorrow, it wouldn't make the slightest difference to the carbon footprint -- just of computers. And that's just the US!

China is currently producing 2.5x the carbon emissions as the US. Until they get serious about their emissions, diminishing the output of the US will make less difference than people can hope, and the contribution of video gaming to the problem is literally just statistical noise. So if the government isn't going to get serious about telling corporations and rich people to clean up their act first -- where it MIGHT make at least a statistical difference -- I will continue to enjoy my one vice in life. If that means a different platform or a different game, I'm going to make the changes necessary.

I just canceled my subscription and stopped playing Bethesda's Fallout 76 because the PS version is a complete disaster with crashing and glitches and broken quests. We have choices with our time and money. Even if Blackrock, State Street, and the other people pulling Microsoft's chains make them buy all the rest of the studios, and make them ALL do things like this, we'll still have independents making (albeit smaller) games. And if the platforms exclude them? Back to shareware!
    Options
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WHen I first noticed the out-of-focus screen I thought something was wrong with my monitor, it's annoying. Plus I'm 100% solar and off the grid this setting does nothing but annoy me!

The difference between a bug and a feature is a feature can be turned off.
    PS5/NA
    Options
  • Ardaghion
    Ardaghion
    ✭✭✭
    To the people talking about sustainability, I'm all for gaming companies trying to reduce game power usage. I would prefer that the game changes were a bit more subtle and optional. I would like ZOS to find ways of implementing the same power savings goals without making my head sick or making me think I'm losing my vision.

One suggestion would be to not change the frame rate or resolution immediately as I'm entering my inventory or other menus. Once my character is facing the camera then you can reduce the fps and resolution. This will reduce the judder and eyestrain. It might reduce the power savings at this point but that could be made up for elsewhere like reducing the time to afk status.

Above all else, make it optional.
    Options
  • Grega
    Grega
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What does affect me is:

If you’re truly worried about all this, then stop using all electronic devices and go offline. It will help with your minor water inundation, surrounding bushfires and may get a little cooler.
    Options
  • Quackery
    Quackery
    ✭✭✭✭

What does affect me is:

What an obnoxious and dismissive comment. Everyone who has commented is having physical issues with the stuttering on the TV except for you. If real life issues is what bothers you the most, then why play games at all? There's nothing to be gained by it, according to you.
    Options