Maintenance for the week of July 1:
• NA megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Feedback On Console Environmental Sustainability Features

• Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I’m on a PC rather than on a console, but this is one of the most irritating features I’ve ever come across. When it goes black, it won’t back off. I can’t get the black to disengage. Moving doesn’t work. Removing all add-ons doesn’t work. It’s even black when I go back to the character menu. When the black wall descends the only way I can kill it is to go all the way back to the desktop and shut down the launcher. Please can we please have a button on the keyboard that automatically switches the black screen off because the number of times I’ve got stuck in menus, crafting stations and looting containers is really starting to grind on my nerves!
    Options
  • Rainteal
    Rainteal
    ✭✭✭
    This change is awful. I am playing on Xbox X, and after moving through menus a few times, I start to get a little bit of a motion sickness/ nausea feeling. Please revert this back ASAP. Thank you.
    Options
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Hi all. We're gathering some feedback regarding the Environmental Sustainability Features added in U42. Specifically, we would like feedback on the following patch note:
    • Reduced GPU use in Contextual Menus (Xbox Series X|S and PS5): When viewing most menus, (eg. managing inventory, achievements, quest journal, etc) framerate is now capped to 30fps. Some menus are exempt on a case-by-case basis (eg. conversations, various mini-games). Testing in Performance Mode while in these menus shows a 50% reduction in GPU consumption, resulting in overall power consumption going from approximately 63% of the maximum possible on a console down to 37%.
    We're seeing your feedback about menus capped to 30fps is causing issues for some of you. Please let us know how it is impacting your play experience. We are sharing this with our teams to better inform them of your feedback and how we can improve the experience overall. Additionally, if you are experiencing other framerate issues with either your menus or player character, please note those here as well. Thanks, all.

Honestly, I feel like the teams could've better spent their cycles elsewhere. Like, there's already a lot of topics around performance and now we have a "feature" that caps the performance of something. Within seconds of logging in, the map use feels way more jittery and other menus are no different. At the very least this should've been optional. Hopefully that's something you guys can address soon, so that way we can get back to enjoying the menus.

And I'm a bit confused by this thread when the PTS feedback already warned you guys it wouldn't be well received. I think you guys should entertain reversing course when PTS has that kind of feedback.
    Edited by Destai on June 18, 2024 7:55PM
    Options
  • Hyporis
    Hyporis
    ✭✭
    Make this feature optional and not enforce it on every player at least.
    Gameplay experience is highly irritating on gen 9 consoles paired with a modern 4k TV otherwise.

Safe the Planet otherwise than enforcing this on us.
    Edited by Hyporis on June 18, 2024 7:17PM
    Options
  • i_azazei_i
    i_azazei_i
    ✭✭✭
    Wait this garbage is intentional? Nope, im refunding gold road. This hurts my eyes. Make it optional or get rid of it.
    Options
  • Anachronian
    Anachronian
    ✭✭✭
    Did Zos or Microsoft perform an assessment of whether or not this option would increase or decrease the rate at which people would be replacing hardware?

Hardware replacement could potentially lead to far worse environmental problems, mining and refinement as well as transport, that would likely outweigh any reductions done through this type of sustainability setting.

I realize that it is complicated and hard to actually do something that is truly sustainable in the long-term, but these measures often ring hollow, if not making the problem worse, if people do not take the time to review whether or not the policies actually help in net.
    Options
  • xxxGUZxxx
    xxxGUZxxx
    Soul Shriven
    Yeah the menus look like trash
    Options
  • WildRaptorX
    WildRaptorX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The menu fps drop made me queasy so I logged off. Dramatic but that’s what happened

It’s an eyesore and so jittery.
    Options
  • TheValkyn
    TheValkyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This change is really jarring and delivers a very poor experience. I don’t think not playing the game at all was the desired power consumption reduction method.

I’ve never in my experience played a game that has decided to do this. This was a total waste of dev resources.
    Options
  • Karivaa
    Karivaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am experiencing lag because lots of people are playing. Going into the menus all the time is making me dizzy and gave me a headache. I had to log off. Please fix this.
    Options
  • BlueBin
    BlueBin
    ✭✭✭
    I have just spent hours trying to reset my forum password just so I can have my say on this.
    I’m an avid console and PC player, here since 2015. I’ve ridden all the bumps, I’ll back ZOS until the day I die, but this 30 FPS limit in the menus is HORRID. Please, at least, give us the choice of turning it on and off. I’m being really put off playing on PS5 right now.
    Options
  • Jace669
    Jace669
    Soul Shriven
    Capping the frame rate at 30fps hurts my eyes and makes me nauseous. The fact that there is no option to restore the frame rate back to its original is stupid - tbh, this is game breaking for me. I am not sure that I will continue playing at the same rate - so if that was the goal, good job.
    Options
  • iRaccoon
    iRaccoon
    ✭✭
    This change is horrendous, it's really jarring going from a smooth 60fps down to 30 when opening any kind of menu. It's even worse when panning or zooming the map, it genuinely messes with my eyes and makes me feel nauseous. I think we can all agree that this change needs reverting asap, or at the very least made optional.
    Options
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is horrible. Scrolling the map wasn't this bad on the ps4. It definitely shouldn't be on its successor.

https://youtu.be/SOEFidefydg?si=djX9mU7isIH2J75E
    Options
  • SpiritofESO
    SpiritofESO
    ✭✭✭
    :D
    Edited by SpiritofESO on June 29, 2024 3:37PM
    • ~ PS NA ~ ALDMERI DOMINION ~
    • SPIRIT GOLDBLADE, WOOD ELF NIGHTBLADE, Former Empress
    • SPIRIT GOLDBLAZE, BRETON TEMPLAR
    • "Adapt or Die"
    Options
  • Rahuu
    Rahuu
    ✭✭
    I can see that many have already pointed out what I have also experienced: it’s jarring and headache inducing, this much is obvious and I’ll let others explain in more detail.

The question I have is whether anyone considered home solar panel users? If I have plenty of solar produced electricity with ample battery backup, why am I being throttled at all? Any power saving from reduced GPU usage only affects my battery charge (minimally at that), it has no effect on the environmental impact of retail electricity production.

Why isn’t this new feature optional?

I understand that this is part of a company wide effort to reduce environmental impact, I respect that (ignoring the impact AI has on energy usage), but if I have already done my part in reducing carbon emitting electricity production then why must I also be forced to have my gaming experience impaired when it essentially does nothing for Microsoft’s carbon footprint?

For note; I’m playing on Xbox series X, and I’ve seen that PC users have a simple fix to disable this new feature. That’s all I’m suggesting, a way to turn it off for console if it has no benefit for a specific user.
    Options
  • Keystroke
    Keystroke
    ✭✭✭
    Haven’t read full thread, want to add signal for feedback that I have very negative reaction to the changes. It’s giving me a headache and causing eye-strain, please keep menu FPS the same as the game FPS there is already a setting to make everything 30 fps, 60 fps menu is one of most popular mods for Skyrim as well, it feels much better to scroll and UI feels way more response. With the changes, the menus feel laggy. And it’s upsetting I looked through all options and can’t fix it. Please bring back 60 fps menu thanks!
    Options
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there supposed to be a resolution drop on characters within the menus? Because I'm seeing a resolution drop that was never there before on PC.

I'm seeing it on the inventory menu, within the banker/merchant menu on the crows (not happy about that because I spent 10k crowns on those crows due to how much I enjoyed that animation, now my characters facial features are blurry) and I'm seeing it on crown store previews.

I was going to try to get used to the sustainability mode, but with this kind of drop in quality and gameplay experience, I think I'm just going to have to turn it off because it's making the game unenjoyable in multiple ways.

I know this thread is about console, but your PC players are equally upset. Please give us a toggle so that these features can easily be turned off.
    Edited by ArchangelIsraphel on June 19, 2024 4:51AM
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
    Options
  • Lightyamu
    Lightyamu
    ✭✭
    Logged on today to play the new chapter, instantly grossed out by the menus and thought it was some sort of settings lag. So instead of playing the chapter, I sat here for 20 minutes trying to figure out if this was just me for some reason or some new bug. Little did I know this was actually INTENTIONAL. Practically every gameplay session involved going into the menus to sort my inventory. Every longtime player HAS a massive inventory of items, and now we all have to be massively inconvenienced every time the menu is opened to swap gear, sort consumables, look through materials, partake in PVP, even chat. If I had known ZOS was going to go out of their way to make the entire MMO part of the MMORPG sluggish I would have never preordered the Golden Road chapter, and if it not promptly fixed, I do not expect to even come back to play or pay for anything else going forward. I suppose it's even more environmentally friendly this way right? :neutral:
    Edited by Lightyamu on June 19, 2024 6:12AM
    Options
  • ErianaSagewing
    ErianaSagewing
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for opening this thread and listening to players feedback.

I have suffered from migraines for a number of years and take daily medications to help prevent them from occurring. The only problems I have previously experienced when playing ESO have been during some events/trials when many players are fighting together and numerous bright flashes are set off and, the rapid crux circles when the arcanist class was first released. The first is avoidable and the second was thankfully rapidly fixed following player feedback - something I was most grateful for as I do enjoy my arcanist!

Sadly, the recent changes are proving to be another trigger and I can only play for short periods of time and must avoid using the menus and maps as much as possible.

Please can this change be reversed and/or made optional? Whilst I fully support making environmental sustainability features in games and on consoles in general, I am sure the intention was not to negatively impact players health and enjoyment.
    Options
  • Bl4ck7h0rn3
    Bl4ck7h0rn3
    ✭✭
    This is an awful idea - who came up with it? I honestly thought this was a bug before reading this thread!

The menus are used all the time, and switching between 60fps and 30fps frequently just feels clunky. At least make it a toggle under video settings so we can turn it off if we want to.

If you want to look like you're saving the environment, I'd recommend spending money on making sure your servers are powered by 100% renewable energy, or something else. Don't force this on your players.
    Options
  • schindler
    schindler
    ✭✭✭
    Using the menu since U42 is an awful experience on PS5.
    Lowering framerates in "performance mode" and expecting positive feedback is baffling.
    Please implement a way to turn it off.
    Edited by schindler on June 19, 2024 9:56AM
    Options
  • YORKSHIRE76
    YORKSHIRE76
    ✭✭✭
    This is terrible, we spend a lot of time in the menu and looking at the map. It now stutters and is a severe downgrade in quality.
    Many of us have current gen consoles for a reason, to enjoy games at their best, not in order to go back to 30fps. Xbox series x already has a power saving function built into it, this is optional, the new feature should be aswell.
    Also what is with the constant aura surrounding our health bar? What purpose does it serve? At first I thought I had a buff/debuff, but nope it's just visual clutter for the sake of visual clutter.
    It gives the player no information whatsoever, why is it there?
    Edited by YORKSHIRE76 on June 19, 2024 10:05AM
    Options
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tiath wrote: »
    Tandor wrote: »
    ...such changes should never be forced on users and should always be optional.

Entirely this.

PC/Mac users have the option of editing an ini file to turn it off.

We're stuck with it on console whether we like it or not, and I know this is subjective and slightly hyperbolic, but it is so horrible that I don't want to play, on a day that a new expansion has released that I was really looking forward to, because the UI is making me queasy.

its not an ini file, its a plain txt file lol

but still annoying that have to modify it at all to turn this setting off
    It's a configuration file, the fact that it doesn't have a .ini extension doesn't change that. Also, the *.ini files ARE text files, just with a specific format recognised by the software that loads it.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
    Options
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Using console UI you need to move through menus alot as we don't have the wide range of shortcut keys to go straight to the group menu/crown store etc. The change in fps when running performance mode between the game world and the menus makes my eyes feel like they are suddenly tired. Its not a nice feeling when you have got used to the constant 60fps framerate
    Soupy twist
    Options
  • Zethiris
    Zethiris
    ✭✭
    This change is very awful and just an overall negative across the board. Even selecting Verses and Visions in IA becomes extremely bad. Earlier it extended to the game outside of menus for me as well in one of the West Weald public dungeons. I was running through to complete my quest, pulling the map up ever so often to check my path even with aggro because I was on a tank. After I get to an open room, the gameplay from then on was like playing in molasses. Please revert this completely or make it an off be default, but can turn on if possible mode. While I think the thought was good, the execution takes what is normally an enjoyable experience to me wanting to just stop playing completely. Outside of this the expansion has been great, but this needs to be a priority fix as I can’t imagine newer players will see this as a game they want to play in the future. Elden Ring DLC and FFXIV expansion are next week and man does it look good right now to play over ESO.
    Options
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PS5. I have to say I was a little unsettled by how quickly the frame cap, as well as a hitherto unmentioned resolution cap, took place. The resolution cap was particularly awful. Several times in the span of ten minutes of active gameplay my whole screen turned crunchy, just because I'd paused for a moment to look at the silly thing my cats were doing or whatever. It low key jump scared me the first time I turned my eyes back to my screen. 🤣 I support efforts to conserve power but please this is horrifying!

Oh, and I didn't actually notice much difference in the menus, but those have been choppy for me for a long time now. . .
    Edited by SickleCider on June 19, 2024 1:39PM
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
    Options
  • ogmoid
    ogmoid
    Soul Shriven
    XBOX EU, Series X : +1 it's remarkably jarring.
    Please revert
    -og
    Options
  • NerfSeige
    NerfSeige
    ✭✭✭✭
    Makes me nauseous, please make it optional. Thanks
    Avid reader of wes’-pts-diary[RIP]

NerfAS and Shill ruins everything

Skinny-meta-fake, graded D, and can’t explain the law of diminishing marginal returns.

I won’t post that Wes, I’ll get [snipped] for the last time

Revert this patch - Audens, 2022
    Options
  • WildRaptorX
    WildRaptorX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still cannot play because this makes me ill. We use menus so much in the game.

Purchased the deluxe edition and disappointed I don’t feel like playing the new chapter, as the menus are making me ill and nauseous
    Options