Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of February 26:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – February 26

Fall DMG Is Pointless

coreymj78
coreymj78
✭✭✭
It exists why? Simply as a means to inconvenience us to have to always take the long way around? If it's just for "realism" I could point to so many other aspects of the game that aren't "realistic" so I can't believe that's the reason. The only thing I can come up with is it's just a way to keep people in the game even longer. Anyway, I'm not really as frustrated with it as I sound, by any means, but I do think it's sort of funny and ridiculous at the same time. Just remove it. A lot of people would be happier for it.

We are completely powerful and magical beings, who can do all sorts of wonders and skills, yet we almost die due to falling down (not even a long ways tbh) and almost die. I mean I wouldn't think someone was a powerful mage hero, if I saw him slip and die because he slid several feet down a steep hill for crying out loud. LOL
Edited by ZOS_Volpe on February 7, 2024 7:29PM
  • ElderSmitter
    ElderSmitter
    ✭✭✭✭
    coreymj78 wrote: »
    It exists why? Simply as a means to inconvenience us to have to always take the long way around? If it's just for "realism" I could point to so many other aspects of the game that aren't "realistic" so I can't believe that's the reason. The only thing I can come up with is it's just a way to keep people in the game even longer. Anyway, I'm not really as frustrated with it as I sound, by any means, but I do think it's sort of funny and ridiculous at the same time. Just remove it. A lot of people would be happier for it.

    We are completely powerful and magical beings, who can do all sorts of wonders and skills, yet we almost die due to falling down (not even a long ways tbh) and almost die. I mean I wouldn't think someone was a powerful mage hero, if I saw him slip and die because he slid several feet down a steep hill for crying out loud. LOL

    Gandalf Survived and was in a Sword Fight. The most Epic Falling Battle ever! But he did i guess die from his wounds not the fall and come back as the New Gandalf.
  • Malyore
    Malyore
    ✭✭✭
    In pve overland zones it may be pointless, but as it is pointless there's also no reason to fear it. If you need to get down there, just jump. The worst consequence is slight damage to gear and using a single soul gem. I find it fun throwing myself off cliffs like a flung puppet and then just getting picked up by the strings again after being resurrected. Granted I do use the passive that lowers fall damage because that makes things just more convenient and saves a few seconds by not dying. But I think it's better to have fall damage as the standard unless they add a feather fall ability or something.
  • Treeshka
    Treeshka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is something that you need to pay attention in Cyrodiil, because you can just jump down from outposts or upper balcony from castles and continue fighting like nothing happened.

    So it is not pointless in my opinion. Sometimes it is the only way to get around for stuck in combat bug.
  • mercer_cap
    mercer_cap
    ✭✭✭
    coreymj78 wrote: »
    It exists why? ... LOL
    Did you ever play PvP?

    It is important that you need to be aware what you are going to jump off to evade being hit by the big damage, not just have a mindless escape tool.

    Edit
    After reading your post a second time: no it is not true that a lot of people would be happy if fall damage would be removed. Please don't speak for me, but also don't speak for the community ;)
    Edited by mercer_cap on February 3, 2024 8:55AM
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fall DMG Is Pointless

    50% agree with you.

    There're so many of strange level design in the ESO.
    There're no stair or safety foot steps at the cliff, but player must jump from
    dangerous height ridge. Fall damage is inevitable in those situation.

    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

    2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's there so you can 'watch your step' :tongue:

    It makes sense, because you can run away from mobs (or town guards if you have a bounty, or enemies in Cyro/BGs) by falling down from higher ground, so having the risk there makes it more meaningful and involved (besides immersive). Also, a lot of dungeon/trial mechanics involve jumps so having the extra element there of fall dmg, makes it more interesting and you have to be attentive to it. Plus, it can make for some hilarious and memorable moments!
  • Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [Snip]

    Fall damage can be used in PVP to help get kills - if you sneak up behind an enemy player on a keep wall and use Scatter Shot, the player will go flying off the wall and fall to the ground and lose health from the fall damage and then get killed, or die directly from the fall damage.

    also when racing towards a distant action point in PVP (or PVE) its surprisingly easy to unintentionally die on your mount from fall damage when leaping down inclines and steep drops.

    That's why there's a section in the Champion Point system called 'Breakfall' to help counter these sort of things!

    Conversely, fall damage is also a very useful way of deliberately dying and conveniently respawning at a wayshrine or keep to quickly get to a different point on the map.

    [Snip]

    [Edited for bait]
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on February 7, 2024 7:35PM
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, gravity should be ignored.
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's totally pointy.
      PC/NA Warden Main
    • Varana
      Varana
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      coreymj78 wrote: »
      Simply as a means to inconvenience us to have to always take the long way around?

      You don't have to take the long way around, you can just rez at the spot and continue. [/helpful tips]
    • notyuu
      notyuu
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Why not just refactor fall damage so at most it reduces your health by 99%, thus you can no longer fall to your death, but it still hurts, thus not voiding any advantage you could get from it in PvP or whatevers?
    • Vaqual
      Vaqual
      ✭✭✭✭
      Just keep it the way it is, its a nice tool for turning around a battle in PvP. Apart from that, you can go down most ledges if you bounce off the boulders enough.
      If everything is easily traversable the map becomes less and less relevant. Might as well play in plain white space then.
      Edited by Vaqual on February 3, 2024 1:32PM
    • Sakiri
      Sakiri
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      He probably wants ffxiv fall damage. You can't die from it unless you happen to be in combat. Then it can kill you.
    • Rowjoh
      Rowjoh
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Fall damage should accumulate over time, then at the end of the week 10% of the damage is awarded in 'Fools Tokens' which can then be spent on the 'Emblem of the Fallen' collection.

      Once you have the full set you can then purchase the 'Fretful Fall' ability which randomly throws you from your mount.

      Then every time fall damage is taken your gold is reduced by 100g. :o
    • TX12001rwb17_ESO
      TX12001rwb17_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Vampires, Werewolves and maybe Khajiit need a Fall Damage reduction, the former need a big one as they do have super strength and should easily beable to survive the fall at Terminal Velocity, it is actually immersion breaking for them not to survive.
      Edited by TX12001rwb17_ESO on February 3, 2024 9:50PM
    • Drammanoth
      Drammanoth
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Fall damage is necessary if you want to blood port somewhere and you're in combat in Cyro
      My wishlist for ESO
      I.Skills:
      >>weapons: Polearms, Unarmed, Crossbow

      >>Sorc's Twilight - perched animation

      >>a skill line - a guild having this - to enable us to increase % gold gain for donating Ornate gear (another gold sink in order to gain more pennies - but over time it would pay off)

      II.Overland Mechanics
      >>tree climing in Grahtwood / Malabal Tor / Greenshade, etc. (with tall trees)

      >>rock climbing in Glenumbra / Rivenspire / Stonefalls, etc. (with tall peaks)

      >>new skill lines - Adventure (enable climbing, increase flora and fauna harvesting chances)

      III.CP 2.0
      >>Craft Tree development

      III.Replayable content in overland
      >>pocket rifts to Oblivion - eg. to Vaermina's in Stormhaven, Boethiah's in Deshaan, Hircine's in the Rift OR in Bankgorai, etc. to get Daedric Sets relevant to the Prince, something like Oblivion rifts in Blackwood / the Deadlands

      IV.Geography
      >>Pyandonea - we had some quests WITH Maormer (Summerset, High Isle) - maybe we could meet them there? Poke poke, nudge nudge, wink wink, eh ZOS?

      V.Other
      (the ideas are also inspired by other Forum Users' posts)
      >>pet battles! We collect SO MANY pets, and yet there are just a cosmetic. What a HUGE potential lies within those tiny beats!

      >>ASOC - a new server in Asia and Oceania. If people have a bad ping there, it would be great if they had a server reaching their places more easily. And hey, it would make THREE servers, not two.

      >>possibility to dye barding

      >>display the dialogue options so that we can see which answer the NPC is reacting to

      >>a way to make Overland more challenging - for those who want
    • vsrs_au
      vsrs_au
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Fall DMG Is Pointless

      50% agree with you.

      There're so many of strange level design in the ESO.
      There're no stair or safety foot steps at the cliff, but player must jump from
      dangerous height ridge. Fall damage is inevitable in those situation.
      I wouldn't expect the cliffs to have any safety infrastructure. This is Nirn, not some Earth nanny state.
      PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
    • Dimorphos
      Dimorphos
      ✭✭
      There is absolutely no reason to remove fall damage from the game. It should always be there and it is there in most of the games out there for obvious reasons.

      But something I would love to see is a potion that you can drink that would allow you to slow fall for a short time like 30sec.
    • coreymj78
      coreymj78
      ✭✭✭
      Malyore wrote: »
      In pve overland zones it may be pointless, but as it is pointless there's also no reason to fear it. If you need to get down there, just jump. The worst consequence is slight damage to gear and using a single soul gem. I find it fun throwing myself off cliffs like a flung puppet and then just getting picked up by the strings again after being resurrected. Granted I do use the passive that lowers fall damage because that makes things just more convenient and saves a few seconds by not dying. But I think it's better to have fall damage as the standard unless they add a feather fall ability or something.

      I can kind of see your point, but they still seem weak against the fact that it's just an unnecessary inconvenience, especially for such powerful beings as ourselves. Not a big deal, I just got bored enough to mention it. I do like the reference to Gandalf, but I think it just proves my point. He fell to like the bottom of the world with the Balrog and didn't die, but we die of we fall two feet. LOL Just hilarious.

      Also, you bring up another one of my pet peeves. Gear degradation is way too fast in this game, mate. Such an ineeded inconvenience that is clearly for the purpose of getting people to just swipe to get the repair kits from the store.

      DOH!

      Anyway, cheers mates, thanks for watching. Laters.
    • coreymj78
      coreymj78
      ✭✭✭
      Dimorphos wrote: »
      There is absolutely no reason to remove fall damage from the game. It should always be there and it is there in most of the games out there for obvious reasons.

      But something I would love to see is a potion that you can drink that would allow you to slow fall for a short time like 30sec.

      What is the reason?
    • coreymj78
      coreymj78
      ✭✭✭
      By the Eight I hope this thread is satire. Anyone who thinks fall damage should be removed, should just stop playing video games.

      Bro, in this type of game, there is still no reason for it. People who just say it should exist, yet don't give a reason are just here to argue with my point. lol

      Give reasoning so we can talk about it. Bro, they should at least reduce the dmg you take from it. It's so dumb. One person said we should be able to drink a potion (probably one for sale in the shop right?) to be able to remove fall damage for a portion of time. What? So we are so magical we can summon a huge creature to help us fight, yet we need a bit more magic from a potion we buy to remove gravity's hold on us? What? lol
    Sign In or Register to comment.