Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

Fall DMG Is Pointless

• Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rowjoh wrote: »
    I fear you've tied yourself in knots a little bit. As I've said all along, slowfall and levitation are completely unrealistic whatever game/film/cartoon/book etc they feature in. And that's a fact, not opinion btw.

How can there be facts about how physics and especially magic work in a fictional universe? Unless you're the author who defines these things for your piece of fiction.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • LouisaB75
    LouisaB75
    ✭✭✭
    peacenote wrote: »
    I am a big fan of fall damage in Cyrodiil when I want to die and there is no one around.

And when you are not near water for the quick slaughterfish zoom back to base to turn in quests. I have been known to look for a tower or cliff to jump from.

There's never an enemy round to kill you when you need a quick port back.

• zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    Dimorphos wrote: »
    There is absolutely no reason to remove fall damage from the game. It should always be there and it is there in most of the games out there for obvious reasons.
    But something I would love to see is a potion that you can drink that would allow you to slow fall for a short time like 30sec.

That'll add to the realism, along with the majority of Apex mounts and silly little pets.

Actually, slowfall potions exist in TES3. As well as levitation spells and potions, but I can see why they don't include that in ESO. The levels just aren't designed for it.

Actually when cartoon characters walk over the edge of something, they tread air and only fall when realising they are walking on air - if they never realized they were walking on air, they would actually keep walking on air and not fall.

Imagine ESO introducing this mechanic, then all the silly pet owners could play jumping off things while riding their dayglow mounts, just like a cartoon sim!

b890wpjjvu9b.jpg
    Back in TES 3 Morrowind the Bloodmoon expansion I was attacked by an pack of boars.
    Got an idea, run to an cliff, cast area of effect levitate on them, equip an ring of levitation and walk off the cliff.
    The boars followed. Slowly, made the spell to see in npc in Balmora would fall in the water but found it useful for slowing down guards without being an hostile spell.
    But the pigs followed me out in the air, closer to flying pigs than using an catapult.
    Then their levitation spell ended and they fell to their death.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So for anyone to think that any particular element from the single player version is desirable and relevant in a very different version of the franchise in 2024 that's been evolving for 10 years, is way behind the times and somewhat misguided.

The original thing you wrote that I commented on was the claim that slowfall and levitation spells/potions would be "unrealistic" - as in not fitting in ESO's world, just as glowy apex mounts. I tried to explain that something rooted deeply in lore such as levitation magic (with a multitude of dialogues, lorebooks, npcs related to it etc - mostly in TES3, but also mentions in TES4 and 5) can hardly be called unrealistic, because it's a long established part of the TES universe. So there's a big difference between this and the sparkling neon gummibears they sell in the crown store, even if they give those some silly 1-line "lore" text for justification. And that personally, when it comes to "realism" or rather immersion and the feeling whether this rendition of Nirn feels like it should, I could accept the first kind of things - aspects long and deeply established in lore - much more in this game than the apex mount nonsense. I even mentioned, that game-design-wise levitation doesn't work with ESO (for that, they would have to have designed the levels completely differently). It doesn't change that it would be less lorebreaking than those ugly flashy mounts never "naturally" seen in the game world, never used by npcs, never mentioned in a book,.. That's all. Of course you can have a different opinion.

I fear you've tied yourself in knots a little bit. As I've said all along, slowfall and levitation are completely unrealistic whatever game/film/cartoon/book etc they feature in. And that's a fact, not opinion btw.

And just because it featured in previous TES games doesn't somehow miraculously validate it.
    Its unrealistic because its magic, and its various system who makes an game even less realistic than say the lord of the rings movies. Health packs are even more unrealistic than levitation and is used in games trying to be realistic in other ways like guns.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How can there be facts about how physics and especially magic work in a fictional universe? Unless you're the author who defines these things for your piece of fiction.

Just because its fiction it still doesn't somehow miraculously make it realistic.

Unless of course it's in outer space, which judging by your utterances is beginning to make me wonder if you might be from a different planet, where our laws of physics don't apply :)
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just because its fiction it still doesn't somehow miraculously make it realistic.
    Unless of course it's in outer space, which judging by your utterances is beginning to make me wonder if you might be from a different planet, where our laws of physics don't apply :)

Or I might just be someone who seperates fiction from reality, well aware that especially in fantasy novels/movies/games, as soon as magic is involved, reality's laws of physics don't apply anymore. Which doesn't mean that it's impossible to say whether something is "realistic" (or, if you dislike this world, because it includes "real", we could also speak of plausibility instead) within a narration or not. An example that does not involve levitation: Shooting lightning bolts from your hands is "realistic"/plausible on Nirn, if you're a mage that knows that spell. In the real world, it's not. The other way round (another favorite example of mine), driving a Porsche car might be realistic in the real world, but would be unrealistic in Tamriel.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    Its unrealistic because its magic, and its various system who makes an game even less realistic than say the lord of the rings movies. Health packs are even more unrealistic than levitation and is used in games trying to be realistic in other ways like guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjXOwUnJzA0
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Roztlin45
    Roztlin45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without fall damage how would force and momentum be defined in nirn? The distance traveled never reaches terminal velocity? So speed in nirn would be a constant. Around mount speed day 2 of just above a walk. This would also effect the passage of time and cycles of moon and Sun phrase. With the fine structure constant in nirn , the alpha partial is < 1\137 as in the example above and would effect all matter. All particles would not retain atomic bonds and the universe of nirn would have no molecular cohesion. So maybe fall damage is not so bad after all.
  • ZOS_Volpe
    ZOS_Volpe
    admin
    Hello,

We have recently removed some unnecessary back and forth from this thread. This is a reminder to keep the discussion civil and constructive. Please keep our Forum Rules in mind moving forward.

Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we're removing fall damage, let's get rid of all damage in the game because it's inconvenient or a way to force us to empty the coinpurses on crown repair kits. For once I might be able to spend time in Cyrodiil without embarrassing myself...
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)