Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

Fall DMG Is Pointless

• coreymj78
    coreymj78
    ✭✭✭
    Let me break it down:

Fall damage > faster gear degradation > more repair kit sales.... doh.
  • coreymj78
    coreymj78
    ✭✭✭
    Also, for those of you complaining about pvp here EZ fix:

There could still be fall dmg in Cyrodil.
  • coreymj78
    coreymj78
    ✭✭✭
    We shouldn't have to die and have faster gear degradation just because we wanted to jump down two feet.
  • coreymj78
    coreymj78
    ✭✭✭
    Makes me feel so powerful when I just slayed a dragon, and then die because I thought I could jump down to a rock, only a few feet down (yes it has happened to me many times, maybe a bug?). It's dumb. Either make the distance you take damage further down, or just remove it. There is zero reason for it and most people will just take the hit to their gear and take the short cut anyway, so what purpose does it serve?
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kite42 wrote: »
    Fall damage isn't pointless if you land on a caltrop.

Nice one. Bad humor is the best sometimes.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    coreymj78 wrote: »
    Makes me feel so powerful when I just slayed a dragon, and then die because I thought I could jump down to a rock, only a few feet down (yes it has happened to me many times, maybe a bug?)

Where? If it's really a bug, that information would be useful. I'm wondering because my main character can literally fall down a big cliff or waterfall and will survive (scarcely, but still). Buff food used, of course, but you're probably not fighting a dragon without that either. A 2 ft fall does nothing. Really, nothing.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • coreymj78
    coreymj78
    ✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    Makes me feel so powerful when I just slayed a dragon, and then die because I thought I could jump down to a rock, only a few feet down (yes it has happened to me many times, maybe a bug?)

Where? If it's really a bug, that information would be useful. I'm wondering because my main character can literally fall down a big cliff or waterfall and will survive (scarcely, but still). Buff food used, of course, but you're probably not fighting a dragon without that either. A 2 ft fall does nothing. Really, nothing.

Ok, slightly exageratting maybe, but like I jump off a bridge, maybe what five to six feet it seems and like 50% to 75% of my health is gone. Just seems extreme compared to like New World for example where you can't die due to falling (at all - like the max fall damage you can take is within and inch of your life, but you won't die completely) and that is only if you fall a very long ways. This game should be like New World in respect to fall damage.
  • coreymj78
    coreymj78
    ✭✭✭
    exaggerating**
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, slightly exageratting maybe, but like I jump off a bridge, maybe what five to six feet it seems and like 50% to 75% of my health is gone.

That does sound a lot. How many hp do you have?
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • OsUfi
    OsUfi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fall damage is canonical in Elder Scrolls.
  • Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dimorphos wrote: »
    There is absolutely no reason to remove fall damage from the game. It should always be there and it is there in most of the games out there for obvious reasons.

But something I would love to see is a potion that you can drink that would allow you to slow fall for a short time like 30sec.

That'll add to the realism, along with the majority of Apex mounts and silly little pets.
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    We shouldn't have to die and have faster gear degradation just because we wanted to jump down two feet.

I jump over cliff all the time because even with minimap addon the overland is pretty annoying to navigate.

Why not let us play superhuman in overland areas? Jumping, gliding and climbing would be pretty cool. In Skyrim or Dragon's Dogma people could jump over entire mountains and it's really fun!

Travelling on overland is a PITA even with speed limit and fast mount. I can't imagine how to do it in a new character again without CPs and all the speed gears.
    Edited by moo_2021 on February 4, 2024 3:19PM
  • finehair
    finehair
    ✭✭✭✭
    It enables me to kill people who become too confident in PvP. If I'm alone on the keep I go to roof, usual oiling and building ulti with light attacks. When they break through inner they come upstairs to murder me, I jump down to courtyard from roof "running away for my life". As soon as 1 or 2 jumps down I turn back and burst them with ulti. Kill them, get my defense tick. Then run away for real.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rowjoh wrote: »
    There is absolutely no reason to remove fall damage from the game. It should always be there and it is there in most of the games out there for obvious reasons.
    But something I would love to see is a potion that you can drink that would allow you to slow fall for a short time like 30sec.

That'll add to the realism, along with the majority of Apex mounts and silly little pets.

Actually, slowfall potions exist in TES3. As well as levitation spells and potions, but I can see why they don't include that in ESO. The levels just aren't designed for it.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • alternatelder
    alternatelder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is sometimes (mostly) the only way I can get a kill in Cyrodiil. If someone jumps from a keep and I have only secs to take away their less than 10k health.
  • Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, slowfall potions exist in TES3. As well as levitation spells and potions, but I can see why they don't include that in ESO. The levels just aren't designed for it.

Actually when cartoon characters walk over the edge of something, they tread air and only fall when realising they are walking on air - if they never realized they were walking on air, they would actually keep walking on air and not fall.

Imagine ESO introducing this mechanic, then all the silly pet owners could play jumping off things while riding their dayglow mounts, just like a cartoon sim!

b890wpjjvu9b.jpg
  • Galiferno
    Galiferno
    ✭✭✭✭
    Let me break it down:

Ah yes, the great repair kit ESO conspiracy. How could I have missed the drastic impact of repair kits on the economy?
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    Galiferno wrote: »
    Let me break it down:

Ah yes, the great repair kit ESO conspiracy. How could I have missed the drastic impact of repair kits on the economy?

It only stops being a problem after I install auto-repair addon and start doing writs.

But then what's the whole point of having the need to (auto-) repair? It just annoys new players.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually when cartoon characters walk over the edge of something, they tread air and only fall when realising they are walking on air - if they never realized they were walking on air, they would actually keep walking on air and not fall.
    Imagine ESO introducing this mechanic, then all the silly pet owners could play jumping off things while riding their dayglow mounts, just like a cartoon sim!

For you, it might not matter, but for me, it makes a difference whether something is rooted in TES lore or not. So generally, I'd have nothing against slowfall or levitation potions if people think they need them - this doesn't make the game "unrealistic", as it's an established kind of magic on Nirn, first seen 20 years ago in TES3 Morrowind, with a well-thought background, lorebooks, etc. It's on more solid ground than every weird flashy sparkly neon mount thrown into the store with a shallow flavor text, which I find abhorrent, but I've written that often enough. But, yeah, level design is not made for levitation and slowfall, so I don't see ZOS ever implementing that in ESO. Which is fine with me, btw - I have never seen any problem in fall damage, it's just normal to me.

Edited by Syldras on February 4, 2024 10:49PM
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For you, it might not matter, but for me, it makes a difference whether something is rooted in TES lore or not. So generally, I'd have nothing against slowfall or levitation potions if people think they need them - this doesn't make the game "unrealistic", as it's an established kind of magic on Nirn, first seen 20 years ago in TES3 Morrowind, with a well-thought background, lorebooks, etc. It's on more solid ground than every weird flashy sparkly neon mount thrown into the store with a shallow flavor text, which I find abhorrent, but I've written that often enough. But, yeah, level design is not made for levitation and slowfall, so I don't see ZOS ever implementing that in ESO. Which is fine with me, btw - I have never seen any problem in fall damage, it's just normal to me.

ESO features a storyline indirectly connected to the single player games but the long established lore from those games isn't faithfully adhered to because its simply not possible to do that in a MMO of ESO's magnitude, thus the game went in a different direction.

Of course many people expected or hoped ESO would be a much larger version of the much loved single player games when it was launched, but then realised that despite similarities in look and feel and the inclusion of some of the lore, it was a significantly different game and there was frustration, disappointment and loads of complaints, until the penny dropped.

So for anyone to think that any particular element from the single player version is desirable and relevant in a very different version of the franchise in 2024 that's been evolving for 10 years, is way behind the times and somewhat misguided.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First off, they do have Champion Points to reduce fall damage. Second, Bosmer passive also has reduced fall damage. Fall damage exists to maintain some sort of realism in the game- while also giving us options to reduce its impact. You can also throw up a shield, if you have a shield ability, before jumping from heights.
    Edited by ADarklore on February 5, 2024 11:00AM
    CP: 1950 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Sorcerer ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • RetPing
    RetPing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, you bring up another one of my pet peeves. Gear degradation is way too fast in this game, mate. Such an ineeded inconvenience that is clearly for the purpose of getting people to just swipe to get the repair kits from the store.

At this point I wonder if you are just trolling.
    Swiping to get repair kits, really?
  • Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bro, in this type of game, there is still no reason for it.

If everything is possible, nothing is special.

Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    el mao. somebody rode off a cliff.
  • Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It exists why? Simply as a means to inconvenience us to have to always take the long way around? If it's just for "realism" I could point to so many other aspects of the game that aren't "realistic" so I can't believe that's the reason. The only thing I can come up with is it's just a way to keep people in the game even longer. Anyway, I'm not really as frustrated with it as I sound, by any means, but I do think it's sort of funny and ridiculous at the same time. Just remove it. A lot of people would be happier for it.

We are completely powerful and magical beings, who can do all sorts of wonders and skills, yet we almost die due to falling down (not even a long ways tbh) and almost die. I mean I wouldn't think someone was a powerful mage hero, if I saw him slip and die because he slid several feet down a steep hill for crying out loud. LOL

You're all of that in a physical body. Case in point, consider the Vateshran grapple tunnels. I know that for the most part you take no fall dmg there, however you probably should. I mean in some instances there's like a 20 ft drop after grappling over the chasm and landing on a narrow piece of land. That action alone should be enough to cause you to land paralyzed and slide into an emergency room with blown out kneecaps and a shattered spine. Nevermind what the abrupt pulling action would do to your arms and shoulers.

Just be thankful they don't apply fall damage more.
    Edited by Vulkunne on February 5, 2024 1:29PM
    Saddle up, lock & load, search and destroy.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The endpoint of this argument is that terrain is pointless, and the whole map should be flat. It is there to make you respect the map, and go the way the topology dictates. No you can’t just ride in a straight line with your eyes closed.
  • Four_Fingers
    Four_Fingers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you learn to bounce off ledges on the way down or roll just right at the bottom you can often mitigate the fall damage.
    Edited by Four_Fingers on February 5, 2024 2:02PM
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So for anyone to think that any particular element from the single player version is desirable and relevant in a very different version of the franchise in 2024 that's been evolving for 10 years, is way behind the times and somewhat misguided.

The original thing you wrote that I commented on was the claim that slowfall and levitation spells/potions would be "unrealistic" - as in not fitting in ESO's world, just as glowy apex mounts. I tried to explain that something rooted deeply in lore such as levitation magic (with a multitude of dialogues, lorebooks, npcs related to it etc - mostly in TES3, but also mentions in TES4 and 5) can hardly be called unrealistic, because it's a long established part of the TES universe. So there's a big difference between this and the sparkling neon gummibears they sell in the crown store, even if they give those some silly 1-line "lore" text for justification. And that personally, when it comes to "realism" or rather immersion and the feeling whether this rendition of Nirn feels like it should, I could accept the first kind of things - aspects long and deeply established in lore - much more in this game than the apex mount nonsense. I even mentioned, that game-design-wise levitation doesn't work with ESO (for that, they would have to have designed the levels completely differently). It doesn't change that it would be less lorebreaking than those ugly flashy mounts never "naturally" seen in the game world, never used by npcs, never mentioned in a book,.. That's all. Of course you can have a different opinion.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • KiltMaster
    KiltMaster
    ✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy fall damage. Sometimes funny to remember that you're not invincible.
    PC/NA
    GM of "Kilts for Sale"
    Ebonheart Pact
    He/Him
  • Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The original thing you wrote that I commented on was the claim that slowfall and levitation spells/potions would be "unrealistic" - as in not fitting in ESO's world, just as glowy apex mounts. I tried to explain that something rooted deeply in lore such as levitation magic (with a multitude of dialogues, lorebooks, npcs related to it etc - mostly in TES3, but also mentions in TES4 and 5) can hardly be called unrealistic, because it's a long established part of the TES universe. So there's a big difference between this and the sparkling neon gummibears they sell in the crown store, even if they give those some silly 1-line "lore" text for justification. And that personally, when it comes to "realism" or rather immersion and the feeling whether this rendition of Nirn feels like it should, I could accept the first kind of things - aspects long and deeply established in lore - much more in this game than the apex mount nonsense. I even mentioned, that game-design-wise levitation doesn't work with ESO (for that, they would have to have designed the levels completely differently). It doesn't change that it would be less lorebreaking than those ugly flashy mounts never "naturally" seen in the game world, never used by npcs, never mentioned in a book,.. That's all. Of course you can have a different opinion.

I fear you've tied yourself in knots a little bit. As I've said all along, slowfall and levitation are completely unrealistic whatever game/film/cartoon/book etc they feature in. And that's a fact, not opinion btw.

And just because it featured in previous TES games doesn't somehow miraculously validate it.