Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of February 26:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – February 26

This is a weird ask... but I wish there was a way to mute specific sounds.

MoonPile
MoonPile
✭✭✭✭
I don't mean turning off music or effects in general. (I am aware of in-game audio settings and do not want to turn down all effects.)

There are specific sounds that are really grating and painful. Not even the "No, Thank You!" or "Shut Yer Trap" addons can take care of.

In particular the "magic hum". It's used in a variety of places but you can hear it if you go to the Dragonguard Sanctum Wayshrine. The Alfiq right next to it has a hovering magical book that's making the sound.

EDIT: I remembered later; there's a pretty effect from the Mages guild questline that one can glitch to make permanent: Youtube video. Unfortunately you can't hear it in that video, but when I realized it makes THAT same magic sound and you're surrounded by it at all times - wow, that would drive me nuts! I wonder about people who use it: maybe low tones don't bother them, possibly they use base-heavy sound systems and may be deaf to lower tones, or they have effects turned down.

I'm sure this is way too niche be addressed, just putting it out there in case it's not just me. Or maybe someone really can make an addon for this. (*Turns out not; they can't target specific sounds this way.)

Edited by MoonPile on January 25, 2024 6:58AM
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure but it might be possible for an addon to mute specific sounds, there's various ones available to mute different NPCs and I know several of them change, add or remove UI sound effects. I suspect the 'problem' is it'd be quite complicated to make one that lets players select sound effects to mute, and without that it would need to be very specific.

BTW if it's not just hyperbole and that sound genuinely hurts to listen to you might want to check your sound volume and settings. Even the most annoying noise in a game shouldn't be painful, and sounds which are can do real and permanent damage to your ears. If you need the volume up to hear other things clearly it might be worth adjusting the volume levels for different things (and checking your computers EQ settings) to see if you can get it better balanced so you're not hurting your ears.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    your right about the addon, as far as i know the addons only work for notification type stuff because all of that is relayed locally on your client

stuff like sounds emanating from objects in the game world as far as im aware you cant do anything about with addons aside from playing with the game settings to get the sound to a good level
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    me too.
    i wish i could mute all Arthropods.
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • MoonPile
    MoonPile
    ✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    I'm not sure but it might be possible for an addon to mute specific sounds, there's various ones available to mute different NPCs and I know several of them change, add or remove UI sound effects. I suspect the 'problem' is it'd be quite complicated to make one that lets players select sound effects to mute, and without that it would need to be very specific.

BTW if it's not just hyperbole and that sound genuinely hurts to listen to you might want to check your sound volume and settings. Even the most annoying noise in a game shouldn't be painful, and sounds which are can do real and permanent damage to your ears. If you need the volume up to hear other things clearly it might be worth adjusting the volume levels for different things (and checking your computers EQ settings) to see if you can get it better balanced so you're not hurting your ears.

Painful as in it's irritating physically. I don't know how to describe it, this specific thing has a weird frequency. I don't have volume up loud in general. For the most part I just have to run far enough away from any magical thing that makes that sound.

I am just curious if anyone else goes and listens near that Alfiq, it's not annoying?
    LunaFlora wrote: »
    me too.

mmm yeah I can understand this, their weird shrieks
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MoonPile wrote: »
    Danikat wrote: »

Painful as in it's irritating physically. I don't know how to describe it, this specific thing has a weird frequency. I don't have volume up loud in general. For the most part I just have to run far enough away from any magical thing that makes that sound.

I am just curious if anyone else goes and listens near that Alfiq, it's not annoying?
    LunaFlora wrote: »
    me too.

mmm yeah I can understand this, their weird shrieks

I've never paid any attention to it. I get to the wayshrine, run to pick up the daily, run to the wayshrine, head for whichever zone; then repeat when I turn in the daily. Then again, I never could hear the butterfly "flock" noise others say they notice - but I do have ambient noise turned down a fair amount. And dialog/VA is off entirely.

[Edit for typos]
    Edited by TaSheen on January 22, 2024 11:12PM

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • MoonPile
    MoonPile
    ✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »

I've never paid any attention to it. I get to the wayshrine, run to pick up the daily, run to the wayshrine, head for whichever zone; then repeat when I turn in the daily. Then again, I never could hear the butterfly "flock" noise others say they notice - but I do have ambient noise turned down a fair amount. And dialog/VA is off entirely.

[Edit for typos]

Yeah normally if you just go in and out it's not noticeable. it's just when I've left my character there for a while that it was grating. Now of course I hear it in every other instance they use the same sfx.

Now I'm curious about this butterfly noise.
  • MoonPile
    MoonPile
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ohh it must be this: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5448690/#Comment_5448690
    Ancestor Moth Swarm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov2AiZAV58g

I had to turn speakers WAY up like triple my normal volume to even hear that. Possible that even so, I'm not even hearing some of the more high-pitched tones they're making.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, that's the one! I couldn't remember which one it was by this time. And I do have to say I've not spent any time at all around the Dragonhold wayshrine - like I said, just run and out.

You could post at https://www.esoui.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=165 explaining what you're looking for and asking if anyone knows if it's possible to make that sort of addon.

Good luck!
    Edited by TaSheen on January 23, 2024 12:06AM

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Paulytnz
    Paulytnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is not a weird request at all. I have a similar irritation with the water effects. See I play mostly with the music off but with the Ambient sound set to maximum. I just love hearing all the birds and other sounds. The problem however is that when you get too close to waterfalls and some rivers you are then suddenly bombarded with a very loud sound that you just want to run away from, very fast.

I don't think it would be too hard for them to remove water sounds from the ambient section and move it to it's own section. A perfectly fine suggestion as far as I am concerned.

However, for the problem that the OP is facing, that could be a very different situation. My guess is the best chance you have there is to find someone who makes the add ons and request such a mod. Then it would be a matter of them finding the source and fixing it. I play on console however so I have no access to add ons and no experience with them, so I have no idea how easy it would be to find such a add on creator etc.

Good luck tho!
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Dolgubon or @Baertram might know, they're both very familiar with what addons can/can't do.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't hear any of these sounds and I don't have any toggled off.
    PCNA
  • MoonPile
    MoonPile
    ✭✭✭✭
    Paulytnz wrote: »
    This is not a weird request at all. I have a similar irritation with the water effects.

I totally get this. Gratefully that prevents me from spending any crowns on fountains in housing as I also hate their repetitive sounds.

• katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are several sliders for different kinds of audio effects under Options. I am not in game right now and don’t remember the categories, but something like sound effects maybe. Hopefully adjusting them might make it more tolerable.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• MoonPile
    MoonPile
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are several sliders for different kinds of audio effects under Options. I am not in game right now and don’t remember the categories, but something like sound effects maybe. Hopefully adjusting them might make it more tolerable.

No; I should have been more explicit about this in the OP.
  • ClowdyAllDay
    ClowdyAllDay
    ✭✭✭
    def wish i could mute every music box from playing on my end. hate those things.
  • Kite42
    Kite42
    ✭✭✭✭
    We should be able to change our grunts in the settings, because as you say the preview is terrible
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only thing I want off is the dang splash screen sounds. They're WAY too loud.

I know in WoW there's an addon called MuteAnnoyingWoWSounds that replaces the sound file with a blank one. I don't know how possible it'd be here though. :/
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish we could turn off the damn "Woo hoo!" when fishing... it wouldn't be so bad if it was just for the trophy fish.

Also, I'd like to know why whenever I go pickpocketing / breaking and entering in Sadrith Mora now, I hear running water - both indoors and outside.This started happening a couple of months ago after a patch.
    x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017Proud member of the Aetherium Alliance.Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
  • xilfxlegion
    xilfxlegion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mean turning off music or effects in general. There are certain sounds that are really grating and painful. Not even the "No, Thank You!" addon can take care of.

In particular the "magic hum". It's used in a variety of places but you can hear it if you go to the Dragonguard Sanctum Wayshrine. The Alfiq right next to it has a hovering magical book that's making the sound.

I'm sure this is way too niche be addressed, just putting it out there in case it's not just me. Or maybe someone really can make an addon for this.

or the lady at the volcanic vents --- i absolutely despise her.
  • SkaiFaith
    SkaiFaith
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't mean turning off music or effects in general. There are certain sounds that are really grating and painful. Not even the "No, Thank You!" addon can take care of.

I'm sure this is way too niche be addressed, just putting it out there in case it's not just me. Or maybe someone really can make an addon for this.

Out of all the World Events you despise the most bearable?
    All other World Events' voices are way worse to me! I remember I was so happy hearing her voice for the first time in High Isle, that Volcanic Vents instantly became my favourite World Event.

I don't remember the Alfiq magical sound but I agree that water sounds are explosive - I also often disable music and take ambience to max, but rivers and waterfalls are too loud/annoying.
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd like to be able to mute that darn trumpet solo emote.
  • LouisaB75
    LouisaB75
    ✭✭✭
    This is when being hard of hearing works to my advantage. I have never noticed most of these. It took me a year to notice there was even a cat at the wayshrine.

Totally agree on the cheering when fishing out rubbish though.
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just came to say that I don't think this is a weird request at all. I can see why it would be nice to have in the game.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • Warhawke_80
    Warhawke_80
    ✭✭✭✭
    def wish i could mute every music box from playing on my end. hate those things.

You do know you don't have to open them yes? And they rarely play in public if you don't ....
    ““Elric knew. The sword told him, without words of any sort. Stormbringer needed to fight, for that was its reason for existence...”― Michael Moorcock, Elric of Melniboné
  • Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two things I'd immediately mute if I could.

In the player home HotLC, the "rushing\wooshing" sound that CONSTANTLY plays in the background because of the main portal crystal and each portal. It's my main home and I love it. But some days it would be nice to hear SILENCE, or at least not the deafening white noise from the crystals\portals. >.<

The painfully-high pitched bleat\scream\screech vocalization that elks do.
    Wrothgar elks seem to do it less than the ones I find in Western Skyrim, but that high pitch screech is like needles into my ears.

Must look funny to some random players when suddenly this chick uses Stampede with her 2H and obliterates some "poor" elk.
    Poor-nothing. Scream in my ears, you get the pointy end. :rage:
    • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
    • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is a totally reasonable request. The game would be better served with more nuanced audio sliders. On PC you guys get some nice addons, but us console players have more limited options.

I do my crafting dailies in Alinor and the NPC chatter gets to be too much after a while. I log in and hear Curtaros belting out his anthem. I walk to the bank, I hear the "unloading boxes" exchange and "WORK FOR OUTSIDERS" yelling on the way.

To have an enjoyable experience, I often turn off dialogue volume. Having separate sliders for active quests vs. ambient dialogue and other NPCs would be a godsend. I could then enjoy the stories and crafting without having to constantly adjust dialogue volume.

I'd love to also mute all other player's pets and emotes. Not hearing a donkey breying or an aggressive trumpet solo while crafting and questing would be nice.
    Edited by Destai on January 23, 2024 5:40PM
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

No; I should have been more explicit about this in the OP.

I am standing at that wayshrine now testing it out. The option “Effects Volume” does increase or decrease the volume of the magic floating book sound. Of course other sounds in that category will also be affected.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• xilfxlegion
    xilfxlegion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkaiFaith wrote: »

Out of all the World Events you despise the most bearable?
    All other World Events' voices are way worse to me! I remember I was so happy hearing her voice for the first time in High Isle, that Volcanic Vents instantly became my favourite World Event.

I don't remember the Alfiq magical sound but I agree that water sounds are explosive - I also often disable music and take ambience to max, but rivers and waterfalls are too loud/annoying.

we have very different interpretations of most bearable ---- that lady's voice is so aggravating that i stopped doing vents and even when i did i always tried to kill her even though you cant. i can honestly say that you are the first person ive encountered that doesnt absolutely despise her voice