Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Perfected gear from normal maelstrom arena

• Cruxanero
    Cruxanero
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another (related) topic: Is anyone also getting multiple gold event coffers per day for the Imperial City dailies? Is this also a bug or intended?
    These are unfortunately the most time-efficient dailies and I habitually do one IC daily per toon. I already did three before noticing they all get gold coffers and I am a bit worried now.
    Or is it intended that you get one per toon?

Edit @ZOS_GinaBruno Is it ok when I keep doing the dailies, but keep the gold coffers unopened in inventory, so you can delete them later if you want to? I'm mostly doing these dailies for the double Tel Var coffers. :(

Edit2: I've been peaking at the coffer content (without taking out anything), and I haven't seen a gold style page yet... is it possible that it's just a visual bug and the coffers actually drop purple loot?
    Edited by Cruxanero on January 18, 2024 11:46PM
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The german community manager Kai_Schober confirmed it wasn't working as intended but means no harm to your account even if you loot them.

Could you provide a link or screenshot of this, please? I'm looking on the German forums but can't seem to find it.
  • Photosniper89
    Photosniper89
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »
    The german community manager Kai_Schober confirmed it wasn't working as intended but means no harm to your account even if you loot them.

Could you provide a link or screenshot of this, please? I'm looking on the German forums but can't seem to find it.

This, im not trying to get banned for doing a daily and opening loot.
  • Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BRB gotta go um, test something quick...
    • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
    • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any confirmation from ZOS (that's not hearsay) that it's ok to farm the extra weapons?

Also, will there be an emergency patch (AKA more event downtime) this evening to change it, if it's not ok?

Edit: I'm guessing since it's already 8pm Eastern and there's no hotfix notification banner, that there will be no patch tonight, and / or it's working as intended.... or at least not problematic.

Edited by Jaraal on January 19, 2024 1:18AM
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Waiting for a fix or a confirmation of the whole "yeah, go ahead, does not matter" thing.
    I already have all the maelstrom weapons, normal and perfected, so I do not care about those, but... I really want to use this event to fill the sticker book for the other sets there...
    ... I am assuming that the other sets also get double drops, can anyone attest to that?
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Waiting for a fix or a confirmation of the whole "yeah, go ahead, does not matter" thing.
    I already have all the maelstrom weapons, normal and perfected, so I do not care about those, but... I really want to use this event to fill the sticker book for the other sets there...
    ... I am assuming that the other sets also get double drops, can anyone attest to that?

Yes, every phase completion chest on normal dropped 2 blue and one purple armor pieces. Final chest was one Perfected purple, 2 normal MA weapons, one purple auxiliary set weapon, and 2 blue auxiliary weapons (one weapon one shield in my case).
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »

Yes, every phase completion chest on normal dropped 2 blue and one purple armor pieces. Final chest was one Perfected purple, 2 normal MA weapons, one purple auxiliary set weapon, and 2 blue auxiliary weapons (one weapon one shield in my case).

Thank you.
  • Cruxanero
    Cruxanero
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cruxanero wrote: »
    Another (related) topic: Is anyone also getting multiple gold event coffers per day for the Imperial City dailies? Is this also a bug or intended?
    These are unfortunately the most time-efficient dailies and I habitually do one IC daily per toon. I already did three before noticing they all get gold coffers and I am a bit worried now.
    Or is it intended that you get one per toon?

Edit @ZOS_GinaBruno Is it ok when I keep doing the dailies, but keep the gold coffers unopened in inventory, so you can delete them later if you want to? I'm mostly doing these dailies for the double Tel Var coffers. :(

Edit2: I've been peaking at the coffer content (without taking out anything), and I haven't seen a gold style page yet... is it possible that it's just a visual bug and the coffers actually drop purple loot?

@ZOS_GinaBruno
    I think I have an update to this... I just got a purple reward coffer for the IC daily, for the first time. The difference to all other toons is that this time I also defeated an IC boss while doing the daily, and looted a gold coffer from the boss already. So it's either on a cooldown, or (as I would assume), it's one gold coffer a day per toon, not per account.

Edit: And another update: The spell seems to be broken. I got another purple coffer on the next toon 15 minutes later, this time without receiving a gold coffer before. All other toons subsequently got purple coffers as well.
    I don't know if you already fixed something. If yes, thank you! :)
    Otherwise this is really confusing. :s
    Edited by Cruxanero on January 19, 2024 2:59AM
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I hope it's ok to collect them because I did MA tonight (for the double drops), hit X as usual to collect the loot from the last chest without looking (cause I always take everything), and then when I went to deconstruct stuff, found two perfected maelstrom weapons in my inventory and thought [snip]?

I'd like to run MA until I've filled my sticker book with normal weapons, so I'd like an answer about whether it's ok to collect the perfected ones in the chest. Otherwise I'll be too afraid to collect anything lol.

(and yeah, I got a gold MA coffer but didn't know I wasn't supposed to? Maybe?)

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 19, 2024 3:57PM
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm also holding off on grinding MA to fill my sticker book until I know if the perfected weapons are supposed to be a part of the normal rewards or not. I don't want to get in trouble for getting things I'm not supposed to get just because I'm trying to fill out the gaps in my normal collection :/
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • JoeCapricorn
    JoeCapricorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember when we accidentally got free Daedric Thrones?

This might be like that.

So start thinking of ways to build castles with Perfected Maelstrom Greatswords!
    I simp for vampire lords and Glemyos Wildhorn
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I should add that I also got two normal MA weapons, meaning I ended up with FOUR weapons on one run. Two normal and two perfected. I'm not complaining, but I'm not sure that's what was meant by double weapon drops lol. Would love it if ZOS decided to keep it as is for the event. Pretty please?
  • Kalle_Demos
    Kalle_Demos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snitch.

"If I am to be Queen, I must look fear in the face and conquer it. How can I ask my people to have faith in me if I don't have faith in myself?" - Queen Ayrenn
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t see any dev comment in the thread. This isn’t for the event, is it? I don’t know if I can complete vMA but I definitely don’t want to exploit a bug, so clarification would be appreciated!
  • Cazador
    Cazador
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed this too. I'm honestly fine with it. I also noticed I seemed to be getting triple drops instead of double for the regular sets for some reason as well.

I really hope that last part stays that way since I still need a ton of stuff for my stickerbook.
    Edited by Cazador on January 19, 2024 3:39AM
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    AzuraFan wrote: »
    I should add that I also got two normal MA weapons, meaning I ended up with FOUR weapons on one run. Two normal and two perfected. I'm not complaining, but I'm not sure that's what was meant by double weapon drops lol. Would love it if ZOS decided to keep it as is for the event. Pretty please?

This. I don't mind it staying this way either, I just want the greenlight to grind. It feels like it's kind of a "anniversary gift" kind of thing, starting off the year with something generous, but can't be sure.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dimorphos wrote: »
    I can see why casual players favor these kinds of things, they like the game to be easy and get easy rewards. Most of them use their gaming time building houses and picking flowers anyway. That is ok of course, but in this case their point really does not matter.

Some people claim they do not care how other people get their gear or advance in this game because they themselves have every item and have done every content and seems like they feel like they are above the rest anyway. I really do not care about these opinions either.

Truth is: In this game there are items that are tied to specific content. Why there would be different model drops from normal vs. vet arenas if it was not intentional that to get the better gear you must achieve a certain skill level. What is the point learning the game, setting up optimal gear setup etc. unless you are rewarded by doing so with something that only players of equal skill level can have. For example: In another mmorpg game world of warcraft-legion expansion there was this theme of multiple legendary items. It was horribly executed as you could get these legendary items even from picking a flower. A flower.. So there were these people who only played Wow to grind in-game gold and one of those ways was picking ores and flowers. And some of these people managed to get multiple legendary items (best items in the game at that time) before someone who was doing pvp content, running raids, running dungeons.. That expansion saw the biggest loss of veteran wow gamers who just stated that blizzard went too far in rewarding everyone with such stuff.

Getting practically free gear rewards too easily ruins the whole idea of how these games work where your gear setup is essential tool in your gameplay and how well you perform. Yes, skill first, but I think we can all agree that gear is what makes the numbers after you learn the rotations and what skills to use and how the fight mechanism works and what are the boss/trash tactics. Anyone who says gear does not matter is straight out liar.

I feel stupid if some gear piece that I worked hard to get, learned the tactics, built optimized setup and so on, and then comes some event where other people can get the same item with random setup, not knowing tactics and just smashing buttons. Because normal modes can be done pretty much eyes closed.

You can have your opinion, I have seen that no matter what was the topic and how it seems that there should be only one answer, there are always those who disagree and just have to get the say that "you are wrong". I have played these games all my life, I know what I am talking about. I do agree that there should be something for everyone and everyone needs to get their satisfaction with rewards, but there also should always be a clear line drawn with the rewards of harder content vs. easier content. Otherwise, what is the point?

I'm not a casual player (I have most trial trifectas). And I still don't see the harm in this.

Maelstrom Arena is old, old content. And the perfected line is almost insignificant.

And yes, I had to farm perfected after they added it to the game, when I already had non-perfected.

There's so much grind to this game that it actually turns new players off. Not because it's hard, but because of the sheer volume of things to do to be competitive.

A little helping hand for like a week does not hurt a soul. And does not hurt endgame.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cruxanero wrote: »

Also ran into this, it is a bit odd. 🤔
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC
  • ComboBreaker88
    ComboBreaker88
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Icy can we get some clarification on this? Is this intended or will this be considered an exploit?
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I thought it was something they added just for the event.
  • reazea
    reazea
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those of us that grinded DSA to death already had all the perfected gear. Then ZOS took it away with a single update, along with all our perfected gear from VMA. That was when I quit grinding for gear of any kind in ESO. If ZOS is just going to take it away later and throw all our time and effort into the trash bin, why put in the time?

I'm happy for those who are getting perfected gear on normal runs due to the history here.
  • Trejgon
    Trejgon
    ✭✭✭✭
    So here is my reproduction findings:
    1. despite news article stating that maelstrom arena will be getting double loot, it is getting triple loot on all chests, where third instance is from the other difficulty. i.e. non-final stage chests on normal drops 2 blue set gear pieces and 1 purple, vet drops 2 purple and 1 blue.
    2. For non-final chests loot curation also broke at least on normal mode (used to get curated drops from these in the past, today only got new pieces on final chest) so far I have no data suggesting curation failing to work on final chest.

On a side note, there is weekly for 2 arena runs, so considering that event was announced with sufficient advance it should be expected for people to have planned to do that weekly during the event, and not fair for to expect people to wait to see if zos manages to fix such a bug before end of the week, so I personally m going to do that second run tomorrow regardless of the bug.

further maelstrom runs - or lack of thereoff for the duration of the event will be dependent on wether we get confirmation on the exploit bit or not.
  • Irhak
    Irhak
    ✭✭
    reazea wrote: »
    Those of us that grinded DSA to death already had all the perfected gear. Then ZOS took it away with a single update, along with all our perfected gear from VMA.
    That's the first I hear about something like that. Care to elaborate for me?

Trejgon wrote: »
    further maelstrom runs - or lack of thereoff for the duration of the event will be dependent on wether we get confirmation on the exploit bit or not.
    When I first heard about the perf drop thing I planned to go at least 1 nMA per day during event and multiple on Saturday and Sunday. Now I don't know. Either way I do plan to go for achievement for vet some time later.
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Icy can we get some clarification on this? Is this intended or will this be considered an exploit?

I too would like clarification please.

I already have all the perfected weapons collected, in fact I would have had the majority of the perfected weapons collected already at the time of release if a different choice would have been made regarding them; I was planning on running MA on normal during the event and take advantage of the extra drops just to complete the rest of the sets.

Furthermore I waited until the event started to complete the weekly endeavour and kill two birds with one stone.

I think regardless of what we think about the fairness or lack thereof regarding the current predicament clear, unambiguous communication should be forthcoming.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ApoAlaia wrote: »
    I think regardless of what we think about the fairness or lack thereof regarding the current predicament clear, unambiguous communication should be forthcoming.

There have been numerous posts on the forums by mods and devs since this thread was created. So they are aware of it, but have not stated that it's an exploit.

Take that for what it's worth.

• msetten
    msetten
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also just discovered this. Did MA yesterday, but didn't notice it. Today, I noticed it mentioning Perfected MA Fire Staff.Thought that was weird.. So came here and read it was a bug. Found out I also got a Perfect MA Ice Staff yesterday (which I didn't notice at the time). I still need a few items for the normal stickers, but I think it's safer to wait for now as I don't want to be seem exploiting a bug. ZOS has banned people before for exploiting bugs.
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Irhak wrote: »
    Those of us that grinded DSA to death already had all the perfected gear. Then ZOS took it away with a single update, along with all our perfected gear from VMA.

There were many threads on the subject at the time in both the official forum and elsewhere.

Here is one:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/532662/why-werent-pre-patch-vdsa-and-vma-weapons-upgraded-to-perfected

• Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Eager to see myself getting banned for looting an additional non-perfected weapon while doing vma. :D

@ZOS_Kevin Honestly, just tell people they can safely run maelstrom during this event. Double drops in there don't happen often and a lot of us are running it to complete their stickerbooks (the weapons of the full sets are a pain to collect).

If players are hesitant to do the event content due to uncertainty because of a failed patch, the damage done is much more impactful than a few perfected maelstrom weapons handed out as gift.

Yes, it's probably not intended. But it's not a big deal either way, as the 1pc bonus is minor anyways.

Don't you dare to hand out "flawless conqueror" like candy tho. :p
    Edited by Braffin on January 19, 2024 11:46AM
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • JanTanhide
    JanTanhide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Irhak wrote: »

Trejgon wrote: »
    When I first heard about the perf drop thing I planned to go at least 1 nMA per day during event and multiple on Saturday and Sunday. Now I don't know. Either way I do plan to go for achievement for vet some time later.

There was no Perfected. You only got the VMA weapons by doing Vet Maelstrom Arena. Same for Dragon Star Arena. Then out of nowhere they introduced Perfected for Vet and Normal then dropped what Vet use to so everyone could get the Maelstrom and DSA weapons they had to run Vet for in the past.

ZOS did not update those who had already collected the Vet weapons to Perfected putting those players in the same spot as those running it in Normal.