Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Perfected gear from normal maelstrom arena

Dimorphos
Dimorphos
✭✭✭
People are reporting that they are getting perfected gear from normal maelstrom arena. Is this really intentional or a bug?
If intentional, I highly recommend you to rethink if it is wise move. If it is a bug, please fix it quickly.

It really ruins the game if everyone can get bis gear with minimum effort. It is not fair to those who put all the effort in the past to be able to beat the harder content to gain better loot.
  • Irhak
    Irhak
    ✭✭
    Dimorphos wrote: »
    It really ruins the game if everyone can get bis gear with minimum effort. It is not fair to those who put all the effort in the past to be able to beat the harder content to gain better loot.

In that case IC or Morrowing being free now is also unfair for those who paid for it back in the day?
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the difference between perfected and non perfected is fairly minimal, its the proc effect your usually going after
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • Colecovision
    Colecovision
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People are reporting that they are getting perfected gear from normal maelstrom arena. Is this really intentional or a bug?
    If intentional, I highly recommend you to rethink if it is wise move. If it is a bug, please fix it quickly.

I earned this gear before there was perfected and then again after. I think it's great that people can just go get it. It never made sense to me that people want the worst players to have even worse gear. I hope this isn't a bug.
  • TheMessengerOfDeath

I have all BIS so I could care less what ways other people obtain their gear. Too many worried about how, what or why somebody got this or that. Mind your business and worry about you before you make yourself upset over nothing.
  • SmellyUnlimited
    SmellyUnlimited
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think if you want the perfected version you have to do vet. I too acquired my maelstrom weapons before there was even a perfected version, but it’s a trial by fire and to get the best reward one should have to do the hardest difficulty (veteran). I think it’s unfair someone can get a perfected 2Hander with only doing normal mode.
    DO. NOT. WIPE. (in game OR out!)
  • TheMessengerOfDeath
    I think if you want the perfected version you have to do vet. I too acquired my maelstrom weapons before there was even a perfected version, but it’s a trial by fire and to get the best reward one should have to do the hardest difficulty (veteran). I think it’s unfair someone can get a perfected 2Hander with only doing normal mode.

I see the argument but I mean it doesn’t affect me in anyway.
  • Myrnhiel
    Myrnhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I just finished MA on normal and got the perfected bow. Imagine my surprise. :o

Before I go in there again (I was planning on filling my sticker book a bit during the event) I really would like to know if this is indeed intended or not. I don't want to get into problems with this and have my account banned for exploiting or some such.

@ZOS_GinaBruno , @ZOS_Kevin ... anyone?
    Edited by Myrnhiel on January 18, 2024 7:21PM
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was going to go in but saw the other thread on this and now I don’t want to risk my account.
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought that was changed a while back where you get perfected for normal mode?
    Edited by Veinblood1965 on January 18, 2024 7:34PM
  • Toxic_Hemlock
    Toxic_Hemlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IF I use the best build (arguably the stam arcanist with deadly and hexos or briar) I can just barely get through the normal version. I could never even attempt the veteran version as dying is not fun for me. My skills are less than bellow average and this "bug" will be the only chance I will EVER get at having even one perfected weapon.

I was gonna skip the arena totally for the event, and just do the boss daily for the tickets. This may actually get me to play the arena, so IMO it will make this player stay longer and after all isn't that the point of these events?

YMMV, but I'm hoping this is NOT a bug, at least not during this event as it may give me something to look forward to if I decide to renew my ESO+ for next year.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought that was changed a while back where you get perfected for normal mode?

No, they moved non-perfected (formerly vet exclusive) to normal, and they added perfected to vet. Norm didn't used to drop the ability-altering weapons at all.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    IF I use the best build (arguably the stam arcanist with deadly and hexos or briar) I can just barely get through the normal version. I could never even attempt the veteran version as dying is not fun for me. My skills are less than bellow average and this "bug" will be the only chance I will EVER get at having even one perfected weapon.

I was gonna skip the arena totally for the event, and just do the boss daily for the tickets. This may actually get me to play the arena, so IMO it will make this player stay longer and after all isn't that the point of these events?

YMMV, but I'm hoping this is NOT a bug, at least not during this event as it may give me something to look forward to if I decide to renew my ESO+ for next year.

If it were not a bug, they should have announced it, as it's a major change to the game's reward system. No normal difficulty content has ever dropped anything perfected. There would be no incentive to learn and do veteran difficulty for any arena or post-Morrowind trial except achievements and cosmetic rewards.

The power increase of perfected weapons is small enough that it will not move your parse more than a couple k even for top parsers. The vast majority of the weapon's power is the non-perfected set bonus, not the perfected bonus, which is less than the equivalent of one stat line. Those who won't learn vet aren't missing much, while those who do at least have something to show for it.
  • Toxic_Hemlock
    Toxic_Hemlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

If it were not a bug, they should have announced it, as it's a major change to the game's reward system. No normal difficulty content has ever dropped anything perfected. There would be no incentive to learn and do veteran difficulty for any arena or post-Morrowind trial except achievements and cosmetic rewards.

The power increase of perfected weapons is small enough that it will not move your parse more than a couple k even for top parsers. The vast majority of the weapon's power is the non-perfected set bonus, not the perfected bonus, which is less than the equivalent of one stat line. Those who won't learn vet aren't missing much, while those who do at least have something to show for it.

Ok well, I don't do parsing, nor do I care about what it means or what mine might be. Also I'm good with going back to ignoring it completely as I have done to this point. As for "incentive" to learn vet content, I am unable to do that content, so my "incentive" is to just to hope the new content they are announcing today has anything I might like and/or be able to do.
  • LordDraw
    LordDraw
    ✭✭
    In my opinion after many years it could be changed for the time of event.
    Some people who still struggle with completing vMA could earn their perfected version in 1 piece instead of 2 normal with doing nMA.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they can't complete Vet Maelstrom, they will not compete with me even if they have same gear. In games where gear carries you, I might agree. But in a game like ESO, where a great player in non-perfected gear will beat a good player in perfected gear, I am not gonna get too worked up about this. Perfected is just not enough of a difference maker to care much.
  • Irhak
    Irhak
    ✭✭
    To be honest I wouldn't mind the SOLO arenas to drop perf gear during events for their zones... but only during the event... and only for the solo arenas
  • DonHardstyle
    DonHardstyle
    ✭✭✭
    Irhak wrote: »
    To be honest I wouldn't mind the SOLO arenas to drop perf gear during events for their zones... but only during the event... and only for the solo arenas

I would agree, if it dropped once a day in the event coffer. Not how its dropping atm.
  • DinoZavr
    DinoZavr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin
    Same question:
    bug report 240118-005680
    support ticket 240118-005866

Please, do us a favor, respond promply.
    Thanks.
    PC EU
  • JanTanhide
    JanTanhide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm...ZOS's silence is deafening. We need an answer please. Is this intentional or not?
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I suspect the are a little busy right now peeps
    Soupy twist
  • TheDarkRuler
    TheDarkRuler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The german community manager Kai_Schober confirmed it wasn't working as intended but means no harm to your account even if you loot them.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fizl101 wrote: »

Gina be like: "Stop the cameras! We'll do the Reveal next week! Joe Schmo has an extra 103 weapon damage on his off bar that he didn't earn! Everything else goes on the back burner until we put a stop to that!" ;)
  • CrashTest
    CrashTest
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have all BIS so I could care less what ways other people obtain their gear. Too many worried about how, what or why somebody got this or that. Mind your business and worry about you before you make yourself upset over nothing.

Same. In fact, I wish ZOS made all my perfected trial and arena drops unbound so I could sell or trade them to anyone outside my group.
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can confirm you get the perfected drops in normal.
    The german community manager Kai_Schober confirmed it wasn't working as intended but means no harm to your account even if you loot them.

That's awesome if there's no harm over it. A screenshotted quote or CM comment to confirm this would be nice to have though, just for surety.

I've done vMA a number of times already, but it gets very tedious, being able to speed up acquiring the remaining few drops will be a nice QoL improvement (at least until it's inevitably fixed).
    And for those worried about some "unearned power" being "given away to the masses" by this, the perfected versions don't even add 1% to a players DPS rotations, the skill reworks/effects are what carries the arena weapons power and makes them strong, and that has always been available in normal, non perfected versions.
    The 1 line of stats you get from the perfected version amount to sweet all in terms of actual increases to DPS, so no, *insert casual player here* will not suddenly out-DPS you just because they now have (temporary) access to a perfected version that adds all of 150 dps to their barely 15k parse from an arena that is almost as old as the base game itself.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DinoZavr wrote: »
    @ZOS_Kevin
    Same question:
    bug report 240118-005680
    support ticket 240118-005866

Please, do us a favor, respond promply.
    Thanks.

This is not game breaking.

I'm sure they'll fix it, but tbh it's like 8 year old content. It's really not hurting anyone to have the perf gear a bit more accessible for a while.
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Eso is easier now, hard to compare it to the past
    Edited by francesinhalover on January 18, 2024 10:29PM
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    fizl101 wrote: »

Gina be like: "Stop the cameras! We'll do the Reveal next week! Joe Schmo has an extra 103 weapon damage on his off bar that he didn't earn! Everything else goes on the back burner until we put a stop to that!" ;)

So funny! 😂
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since they've gave out VMA weaps (or any special ones tbh) for free for any normal enjoyer, can't really care about one more bonus given away at the top.
  • Dimorphos
    Dimorphos
    ✭✭✭
    I can see why casual players favor these kinds of things, they like the game to be easy and get easy rewards. Most of them use their gaming time building houses and picking flowers anyway. That is ok of course, but in this case their point really does not matter.

Some people claim they do not care how other people get their gear or advance in this game because they themselves have every item and have done every content and seems like they feel like they are above the rest anyway. I really do not care about these opinions either.

Truth is: In this game there are items that are tied to specific content. Why there would be different model drops from normal vs. vet arenas if it was not intentional that to get the better gear you must achieve a certain skill level. What is the point learning the game, setting up optimal gear setup etc. unless you are rewarded by doing so with something that only players of equal skill level can have. For example: In another mmorpg game world of warcraft-legion expansion there was this theme of multiple legendary items. It was horribly executed as you could get these legendary items even from picking a flower. A flower.. So there were these people who only played Wow to grind in-game gold and one of those ways was picking ores and flowers. And some of these people managed to get multiple legendary items (best items in the game at that time) before someone who was doing pvp content, running raids, running dungeons.. That expansion saw the biggest loss of veteran wow gamers who just stated that blizzard went too far in rewarding everyone with such stuff.

Getting practically free gear rewards too easily ruins the whole idea of how these games work where your gear setup is essential tool in your gameplay and how well you perform. Yes, skill first, but I think we can all agree that gear is what makes the numbers after you learn the rotations and what skills to use and how the fight mechanism works and what are the boss/trash tactics. Anyone who says gear does not matter is straight out liar.

I feel stupid if some gear piece that I worked hard to get, learned the tactics, built optimized setup and so on, and then comes some event where other people can get the same item with random setup, not knowing tactics and just smashing buttons. Because normal modes can be done pretty much eyes closed.

You can have your opinion, I have seen that no matter what was the topic and how it seems that there should be only one answer, there are always those who disagree and just have to get the say that "you are wrong". I have played these games all my life, I know what I am talking about. I do agree that there should be something for everyone and everyone needs to get their satisfaction with rewards, but there also should always be a clear line drawn with the rewards of harder content vs. easier content. Otherwise, what is the point?
    Edited by Dimorphos on January 18, 2024 10:59PM
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Are you joking? I might actually bother to do MA this weekend if I could finish off that stickerbook.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC