Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

When Was ESO at It's Best?

• LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday all my troubles seemed so far away.
    Now it looks as though they're here to stay.
    Oh, I believe in yesterday.

I look forward to the new while appreciating the older content.
  • duagloth
    duagloth
    ✭✭✭✭
    beta, alot of this still going on would have been acceptable back then LOL
  • luen79rwb17_ESO
    luen79rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in launch, 1st year when everything felt fresh despite the weird systems and bugs. Best year by far.

Then 2019 with Elsweyr it felt like peak ESO with a cool new class, dragons, new trial was fun. Then came the "Dots patch" and it inmediately went downhill ever since.

It's been years of all classes playing almost the same, with the same weapons, with the same sets, the "these are the standards for x y z era" has made everything grey and boring, card game? LOL; grind your mythic, your set to later get it nerfed to oblivion... ESO needs to shake things up alot and I doubt a new class, now loaded with pink colors instead of green, is gonna work again.
    PC/DC/NAserver

V16 sorc - V16 temp - V16 dk - V1 nb - V1 temp - V1 dk
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Casul wrote: »
    2018 was the last time I had a ton of fun, but I’m not stupid that the vast QoL updates have been a godsend. If PvP got more love I’d easily say 2024.

I want to see many more Quality of Life improvements. Specific areas need to be improved of course (including PvP it seems) but I am meaning doing things that the most popular addons on the PC do, integrating those efficiently into the core game.

Even simple things like adding a "green" color when a lock is "picked" (not just a hard to notice wiggle), would help a lot when addons are not around. Fishing is something else where adding the hook image when the catch is ready helps over trying to see a tiny bobber, especially in a crowded fishing area!

Those are just 2 examples, but things like this would help the game, as the crafting overhaul did in the past.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ESO is always going be the best, overall, present day due to the piling up of content and great QOL improvements.

@DirtyDeeds765

What are the QoL improvements you are thinking of recently? I asked about 2023 since I stopped playing for the year and no one mentioned any. (A video I watched mentioned them generically in 2023, but perhaps he was being sarcastic.)
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2024...if PVP and Endless Archive are improved, and if the base game and most aspects of DLC is made challenging again.

2024 is the year of the Dragon. 2023 was the year of the Wet Noodle.
  • UGotBenched91
    UGotBenched91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Started on Xbox in 2015. A lot of good memories in below level 50 Cyrodil with open voice chat and just running around in giant groups. Always the same crowd playing from 10pm-12am eastern and always a lot of fun.

Now PvP on Xbox is a ghost town and both pc and Xbox for below 50 are dead.

Xbox cyrodil > pc cyrodil. Man I miss open voice chat and group mic chats.
    Edited by UGotBenched91 on January 10, 2024 12:40AM
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've kept thinking about other place of Tamriel over the high mountain of Skyrim
    when I was playing TES5 Skyrim.

2014 is the most exciting days and also most terrible days for me as the pre beta test player.
    Because ESO is the my first MMO game, and it's the newest ElderScrolls series.
    But we had so many of terrible bugs and unfinished contents of those days also.

Most of problem of 2014 except game design was already solved until the 2023.
    And, I love apocrypha story. I'm looking forward to seeing conclusion of unknown Deadra princess.
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    with [1Stam Blade].
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".

2024/08/23
    Farewell Atsuko Tanaka...(-_-) I never forget epic acting for major Motoko Kusanagi.
  • Mathius_Mordred
    Mathius_Mordred
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Played since closed Beta, the current incarnation of the game is definitely the best, it continues to improve especially now the server issues have mostly gone. Time was you only had to ride a few hundred meters to get a load screen. I see very few bugs now compared to the early days and with so much new content and new systems including QoL improvements the game has got better and better for me.
    Skyrim Red Shirts. Join us at https://skyrimredshirts.co.ukJoin Skyrim Red Shirts. Free trader. We welcome all, from new players to Vets. A mature drama-free social group enjoying PVE questing, PvP, Dungeons, trials and arenas. Web, FB Group & Discord. Guild Hall, trial dummy, crafting, transmutation, banker & merchant. You may invite your friends. No requirements
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I picked 2021 because U33 and U35 were the only updates that ever made me think about quitting the game. And they were the updates that have made me cautious about all future updates, making this game not as special to me as it once was. I am still bummed that I lost the record of when all of my characters hit level 50, and their individual progress in dungeon challenges, and the fact that map progress is broken drives me crazy.

All of the other years (including 2023) I just enjoyed the game no matter what came out. But AwA has taken the fun out of things in an ongoing way, forever, unless character progress tracking is fixed. I'm sorry, but running past a world boss is NOT the same as killing it.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I genuinely liked the damage meta of 2020-2021 but forgot how much better ESO is with curated stickerbook drops. So I change my vote to 2022 (Update 33) which would have been the Oakensoul meta. Pre-nerf Oakensoul HA builds were great.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on January 10, 2024 8:31PM
    PC NA
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    peacenote wrote: »
    I picked 2021 because U33 and U35 were the only updates that ever made me think about quitting the game. And they were the updates that have made me cautious about all future updates, making this game not as special to me as it once was. I am still bummed that I lost the record of when all of my characters hit level 50, and their individual progress in dungeon challenges, and the fact that map progress is broken drives me crazy.

All of the other years (including 2023) I just enjoyed the game no matter what came out. But AwA has taken the fun out of things in an ongoing way, forever, unless character progress tracking is fixed. I'm sorry, but running past a world boss is NOT the same as killing it.

Wanting to kill a boss is very hard in places (especially many delves) since respawn timers are so slow in many cases!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Nihilr
    Nihilr
    ✭✭✭
    Before whenever it was, that I found out that we won't be getting big QoL changes like new weapon skill lines (hand2hand, spears, 1H&Spell), spellcrafting, underwater swimming, climbing mechanics, flying mounts, etc because console players playing on console are limiting this game's true capabilities... Really disappointing.
  • GooGa592
    GooGa592
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When cyrodiil population caps were over 200/faction and max group size was 24 players.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    GooGa592 wrote: »
    When cyrodiil population caps were over 200/faction and max group size was 24 players.

Is that what they are now (max 200 per faction)? No wonder Cyrodiil is so empty most of the time.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    what a dumb question

like asking ' have you stopped beating your wife '

:#
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd say 2108 which is the year I came back to the game. I participated in all of the beta tests and did not consider the game anywhere near being ready at release or worth the monthly subscription. I kept an eye on it over the years and when Summerset became available for prepurchase I bought the chapter which included the base game and all prior chapters. At that point I thought the game had resolved most of the game breaking issues and that Morrowond and Summerset were well done. I was happy with Elsweyr and thought Greymoor was decent. After that I feel ZOS lost their direction, dropped my ESO+ and slowly cut my playing time in favor of other games. Other than login for the daily reward unless there is an event going on I hardly play. Even with events I rarely play much more than what it takes to get the daily tickets or to clear out my hireling mail. I appreciate some of the QoL changes but that is not enough to offset the recent lackluster story lines, buggy combat and AWA for me.
  • reazea
    reazea
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GooGa592 wrote: »

Is that what they are now (max 200 per faction)? No wonder Cyrodiil is so empty most of the time.

LOL

ZOS just reduced the pop cap to 60/faction, maybe even as low as 50/faction.
  • KiltMaster
    KiltMaster
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to be optimistic and say: The best is yet to come :)
    PC/NA
    GM of "Kilts for Sale"
    Ebonheart Pact
    He/Him