Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

When Was ESO at It's Best?

Stamicka
Stamicka
✭✭✭✭✭
In which year was ESO at it's peak? When did you feel the most positive about the game, have the most fun, and feel like the game was in the best shape.
JaeyL
PC NA and Xbox NA

When Was ESO at It's Best? 269 votes

4%
Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESOKitLightningRexyCatJames-WayneDrachenfierr3mindIndorilArwynLlethranAsysadirondackduaglothBobargus 11 votes
7%
SuddwrathLonePirateMuizerAdernathI_killed_VivecEiagrajad11mumblerPureEnvelope35IZZEFlameLashSmellyUnlimitedStarlight_KnightItsNotLivingRazzledazzle_darjohnjetauUGotBenched91Sempronius_VarusSilentvergeWarhawke_80Desiato 19 votes
9%
WycksmertustaHamfastIdinusehamgatanOtarTheMadRoxyPhoenixGrimnaurRebornV3xSleep724KarivaaTyharEmmagoldmanChilly-McFreezeStamickaTairenSoulnickl413TrinotopsWoodenHeartWildRaptorX 26 votes
8%
KendaricHurbsterMorimizoBlackbird_VemilyhyoyeoncasparianEl_Borrachopelle412tgrippaInval1dWyresscliffracerRedBranchSyldrasUdrathAerenthirMorningbearPixiepumpkinIts_MySniffTaSheenCloudrest 24 votes
22%
chessalavakia_ESOCaligamy_ESOcalitrumanb14_ESOGedericSluggyAelorinDanikatDTStormfoxTreselegantshadyjane62KartalinEnemy-of-ColdharbourlillybitCasulbbrown0770Alaztor91Alpheu5Tommy_The_GunMicah_BayerPeppo_Lives 60 votes
8%
GlassHalfFullflizomicaValarMorghulis1896Ra'ShtarFroilQaghApostateHoboSenneccakatanagirl1laniakea_0Myceliusthe1andonlyskwexADespyIshtarknowsAnigma11RkindaleftFluffyBirdNoxiousBlightIncultaWolfCazador 24 votes
4%
AuroranGoldenEagleAstirongummy292AnnieKEdoKeledusmonkiieSkaraMinocexoibGray_howling_parrotRagnarSwautocookiesjlats 12 votes
5%
VoidCommanderSmokedpyrotechTandorpeacenoteMegs77Ragnarok0130fizl101FinrodMacBeornAraneae6537Lugaldumoo_2021Mascenboi_anachronism_dcrush 14 votes
5%
ssewallb14_ESOFaulgorApoAlaiaQuietPanda_22ReverbDestaiKlauthWarthogVeeskHroltharmadman65xLe00SockermannenDrNukensteinTurtle_Botgvgisdi 15 votes
23%
JoeCapricorndaryl.rasmusenb14_ESOdiskyopajhans.johansson1958b16_ESODiatonicSotha_SilMartinus72ElsonsoSalamanNZElvenheartAvalonRangerMrCray78Mathius_MordredLumsdenmlADarkloreBo0137jhall03Number_51Azrael_1976 64 votes
  • madman65
    madman65
    ✭✭✭✭
    Early part of 2022 we had Update 34 but when update 35 was released that is when I released that things are going downhill.
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Morrowind dropped in 2017, and it had to be the best chapter release we got, having brought content for everyone.

It didn’t matter if you enjoyed PvE, Overland/RP, or PvP, you got content. That should have been the way every chapter proceeded.
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    current eso is best to me.
    we have antiquities, jewelry crafting, housing, the outfit system, Tales of Tribute, the Archive, 7 classes, beautiful zones like Summerset, and so much more nice stuff we did not have at launch.

i have the most fun in eso now and in the future
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There's always been issues, but I think overall I'd say U34 era was the strongest. I remember most classes having good balance and there was good build diversity. That was the last patch I felt a major difference between stamina and magicka on most classes. Those differences are still there now, but feel a bit muted.

That being said, I honestly do feel positive about the game right now. I've got my gripes like anyone, but I'm optimistic. There's been a steady amount of QoL fixes, they've slowed down on wild combat changes, and the feature list is really strong. I finally dug into Infinite Archive over the holidays; started enjoying it. I think if they can keep focusing on QoL, shore up some of the weaker classes, and give us stronger rewards, the game will be in a sweet spot.
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2018 was the last time I had a ton of fun, but I’m not stupid that the vast QoL updates have been a godsend. If PvP got more love I’d easily say 2024.
    PvP needs more love.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Set collections, new classes, Mythic items, Tribute, skill hybridization, the Archive, great community.

There were definitely times in the past when I enjoyed BGs and Cyro more, but we've gotten a lot of quality-of-life improvements over the years that have really added up.

Dungeons definitely peaked with Unhallowed Grave, though. Megaskeletor, fighting in an air fryer, AND grappling hook combos? Hard to beat.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • Hamfast
    Hamfast
    ✭✭✭✭
    2016 after the release of "One Tamriel", it made playing with friends a lot better.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most...
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tyrant_Tim wrote: »
    Morrowind dropped in 2017, and it had to be the best chapter release we got, having brought content for everyone.

It didn’t matter if you enjoyed PvE, Overland/RP, or PvP, you got content. That should have been the way every chapter proceeded.

Definitely agree with your statement regarding content. It unfortunately has become increasingly one-sided in the subsequent updates (although 2023 was a bit better in this regard).

Gameplay-wise I personally prefer the time right before the release of morrowind tho. PvE endgame and PvP offered both a rewarding and enjoyable experience, mechanics were more relevant and even overland was somewhat entertaining.
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • SmellyUnlimited
    SmellyUnlimited
    ✭✭✭✭
    For me it was soon after launch, between about 2015-2017. Granted I took a break from the end of 2018 to 2023, but I just recall the veteran Trials still being exceptionally hard, and the hard modes that much harder. There weren’t Mythics to trivialize solo arenas, and PvP was more about ragtag 24 man groups over 12 man ball groups.

But above all, I think the most fun I’ve ever had in this game is when Imperial City dropped. Large groups of players in IC trying to farm, fighting, battling Molag Bal for the coveted dye and loot.
    DO. NOT. WIPE. (in game OR out!)
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found the game was good when it launched, I didn't experience the issues others had with it, and it improved every year up its peak for me 2021. Then we had AwA in Update 33 which was a massive issue for me, although I had no problem with the following controversial changes in Update 35 and I've enjoyed the subsequent content releases.
    Edited by Tandor on January 3, 2024 9:09PM
  • NeuroticPixels
    NeuroticPixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t know. I can’t remember. But I do remember some time around 4-7 years ago, I hyped up my friends about this game and bragged that “the devs are so involved with the player community! It’s great!”
    🫣
    Check out the ReShade I made: Crispy Sharpness
  • Brakkish
    Brakkish
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any prior years for me.
    For me it's less about what features, and more about player population these days.

Keep in mind while reading, I'm listing these items as seen through the lense of a player who's played since 2014 and absolutely remembers population state then, watched it's continual decline through the years, and to its current state today.

Doesn't matter if it's the perfect MMO today with all the bells and whistles when population decline contributes to:
    • Longer PVP Queue times
    • Longer Dungeon Queue times
    • A group finder that came years too late (and now underutilized *population)
    • Guild events no longer a thing. (I'm sure they still occur, though I don't see them anymore as I once did frequently - any guild, others guilds out an about doing things together ie mount show, fashion show, group screenshots etc)
    • People not getting an abundance of responses for help in zone chat as they once did.
    • New players not getting crafters to respond to their request as they once did.
    • Zone chat now devoid of game dialogue, but riddled with the bored antics of trolls.
    • Diminished availability of items through traders - contributing factor; population shrink.
    • Ghost town effect. Once great cities now vacant shells of their former glory.
    • Extremely low new player retention. They come, they try, they move on. Not because a lack of content - because a lack of others to share content and experiences with.
    No single entry is game breaking, but you add many of these up and it just paints an impression for a new player contemplating whether or not to invest into a 10yr old game, feeling like it's player base doesn't properly support it's own features.

PVP hasn't seen any love for 5 years, and that section of the forum is a Ghost Town now - though when you dig through older threads, the time between posts and dates will indicate a much much busier time. No love, people will move on.

Edited by Brakkish on January 3, 2024 8:43PM
    CP2332 +3100 hrs spent in BGs. US PS5 - Nine PVP Tanks - toons named variations of "Combat Medic" I like long walks on the beach. What's PVE? https://www.youtube.com/brakkish
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LunaFlora wrote: »
    current eso is best to me.
    we have antiquities, jewelry crafting, housing, the outfit system, Tales of Tribute, the Archive, 7 classes, beautiful zones like Summerset, and so much more nice stuff we did not have at launch.

i have the most fun in eso now and in the future

I agree. ESO is at its best right now and is only looking better going forward.

• OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I picked this because this was when more of my friends played and it was just so fun. 2023 though turned out good and hopefully started to head eso in a good direction
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can’t judge before 2019 except to say that what I heard about the game early on (vet levels and all) turned me off from trying it until several years later.

2019 was good but there were some significant improvements with multiple systems after that, including drop curation, the armory, and improvements in housing. To me, things took a sharp turn early in 2022 with how AWA was implemented and then the infamous U35.

The new content of 2023 has been much better than last year in my opinion, but the changes to established classes and abilities continues to be poorly implemented: templar jabs, dual-wield flurry, now nightblade grim focus

I AM glad for the cessation of drastic changes to combat and balance, but I do wish the altered abilities would be reverted and that classes lacking effective options (necro and no-pet sorc) would finally be addressed.
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    2017 with the release of Morrowind for me, since it introduced my favorite class and I like Morrowind as a setting.
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • francesinhalover
      francesinhalover
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Now... Well... Untill they destroy arcanist i guess.

Even than, IA , Sharp as night , Arcanist, Cheaper jewelary , A new Trial that is really difficulty friendly...
      Edited by francesinhalover on January 3, 2024 8:48PM
      I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
      Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
    • DrNukenstein
      DrNukenstein
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Update 34, the start of hybridization, was the most fun this game ever was. Then they arbitrarily took power out of light and heavy attacks and turned dots into like these things that itch every 2 seconds for 20 seconds.
    • chessalavakia_ESO
      chessalavakia_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I tried ESO in Beta but, I didn't enjoy it enough to think it was good enough to sub for.

I got it with a group of friends a bit after it swapped to not being a monthly sub but, I ended up hitting a point where the combat was just a slog and the story wasn't good enough to be worth putting up with the gameplay and all of my friends had already quit.

I came back to ESO in early 2018 and had a blast with the Morrowind content and with Battlegrounds.

But, after I burned through the Morrowind content I got bored and ended up quitting again.

I came back to ESO a few years later as I was bored with everything else but, I haven't really had as much fun as back in 2018.

My nostalgia for Morrowind helped make the experience then be better and in 2018 people were also worse at PvP which made the experience a bit better.

I think ESO still runs into many of the same issues it hit in beta when it comes to story and combat.
    • Morimizo
      Morimizo
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      There have been highlights since, but Clockwork City is my fave zone (convo with Sotha Sil was top notch, unique music that doesn't have wailing violins or high-pitched choir, different resource nodes, etc.), and seeing Vvardenfell realized in a more modern game engine was great (tho the content can't begin to compare with the original).

For me, 2023 was the most disappointing year for this game. The world builders for the new areas once again did their usual magnificent job, but the Infinite Archive (and the Bastion Nymic) could not be further from what I wanted if they had asked me personally to add something horrid. I know many others felt that way about ToT, and now its my turn to avoid a feature. I wouldn't mind near as much (or at all really, happy for others with different tastes to get features they like) if they didn't pepper it with aspects I do engage with, like the additions to cards, antiquities, and endeavors. If there ever is another PVP zone/battleground/etc., better hope its access isn't placed inside vet trials, arenas, or Talos forbid, ToT; tho it would fit the trend.
    • TaSheen
      TaSheen
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      And outside of Morrowind (and all the Dunmer content - I've never liked some of the races in TES; and I never finished the FIRST Morrowind) I've enjoyed ESO ever since mid-2017.
      Edited by TaSheen on January 3, 2024 10:36PM

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
    • loaganb16_ESO
      loaganb16_ESO
      ✭✭✭
      I don't remember the year. But it was right up until they cut all damage from players to players in Cyrodiil by 50%.
    • Artim_X
      Artim_X
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Our lord and savior blessed us one last time, but we were too blind to see it! :'(
      ngs182jzt5qg.jpg
      (AD) Artim X/Xirtām/Måtrix |PC/NA| Casual staff wielding vampire sorcerer/templar/arcanist
      Electric-Burn/Stun
      https://media.giphy.com/media/Av0zcKH3i2BkaY1GXW/giphy.gif/https://c.tenor.com/jQHdFftrgwMAAAAC/tenor.gif
      • Damage Dealing Build.
      • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Inferno/Lightning Staff (infused/shock enchant), and Rage of the Ursauk jewelry (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused/flame/weapon damage enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
      • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Boundless Storm, Mages' Wrath, Lightning Flood, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build), and Power Overload.
      • Ability-Bar 2: Crushing Shock/Storm Pulsar, Streak, Flame/Shock Reach, Unstable Wall of Fire/Storms, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build) and Fiery/Thunderous Rage.
      Electric-Heal
      https://media.giphy.com/media/5ibGIHneWS6ek/giphy.gif
      • My Healer Build.
      • Gear: 5 Spell Power Cure (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Lightning Staff (Charged/shock enchant), and Infallible Aether jewelry (arcane with spell damage enchant)/restoration staff (Powered with absorb magicka enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
      • Ability-Bar 1: Power Surge, Boundless Storm, Blessing of Restoration, Energy Orb, Twilight Matriarch, and Replenishing Barrier.
      • Ability-Bar 2: Dark Deal, Overflowing Altar, Elemental Drain, Blockade of Storms, Twilight Matriarch, and Aggressive Horn.
      Electric-Ward
      https://media.giphy.com/media/Wa0TGmtDvwW3e/giphy.gif
      • My Meme Tank Build that uses high resistance and variety of wards.
      • Gear: 5 Brands of Imperium (All body pieces except Head and Shoulders, with Divine trait, and with Prismatic Defense Enchants), full Mother Ciannait's (1 light and 1 medium. Divines and Max Mag Enchant), and Combat Physician jewelry (bloodthirsty with Prismatic Recovery Enchants), CP restoration staff (Infused with hardening enchant), and CP ice staff (Infused with crusher enchant).
      • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Bound Aegis, Deep Thoughts, Boundless Storm, Healing Ward, and Replenishing Barrier.
      • Ability-Bar 2: Silver Leash (Elemental Drain if healer isn't running it), Bound Aegis, Frost Clench, Blockade of Frost, Empowered Ward, and Temporal Guard.
      Electric-Vamp
      https://media.giphy.com/media/ukDQiYZzRAxMZKcK86/giphy.gif
      • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
      • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact for regular and NoCP build/Oblivion's Foe for dot build (medium chest and body pieces light. All Impenetrable. Max Mag Enchants). Gaze of Sithis and 1 light Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton (light shoulders, and impenetrable with Max Mag Enchants). Knight Slayer/Pariah jewelry/Plaguebreak for dot build (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused with oblivion enchant for regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build. Sharpened for dot build)/restoration staff (infused with oblivion enchant regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build).
      • Ability-Bar 1: Structured Entropy, Boundless Storm, Soul Splitting Trap, Radiating Regeneration, Healing Ward, and Life Giver.
      • Ability-Bar 2: Drain Vigor (Elemental Susceptibility), Race Against Time, Rune Cage, Radiant Magelight, Empowered Ward, and Shatter Soul.
      Dawnfang
      https://media.tenor.com/ogWfvDdsqBIAAAAd/anime-black-clover.gif
      • My casual one bar heavy attack Templar build that only utilizes Aedric Spear abilities.
      • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (Head or Shoulder and body pieces except Chest. All body pieces Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchant), Lightning Staff of the Sergeant (Infused/shock enchant), and Sergeant's Mail jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant).
      • Ability-Bar 1: Puncturing Sweep, Aurora Javelin, Toppling Charge, Blazing Spear, Radiant Ward, and Crescent Sweep.
      Duskfang
      https://media.tenor.com/Jo8aG_ouy_oAAAAd/ac-odyssey.gif
      • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
      • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact (Heavy Chest with light Head, Waist, Hands, and Feet. All body pieces Impenetrable. Health enchant on head and everything else Magicka Enchants), 1 Medium Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton Shoulder (Impenetrable, Max Health Enchant), Knight Slayer Restoration Staff (Infused/Decrease Health enchant/Stealth-Draining Poison IX), and Knight Slayer jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with Spell Damage Enchant).
      • Ability-Bar 1:Radiant Oppression, Race Against Time, Aurora Javelin, Breath of Life, Resolving Vigor, and Life Giver (Shatter Soul).
      PvE Starter Gear
      https://media.giphy.com/media/6CovzgyTig7M4/giphy.gif
      • Gear: 5 Law of Julianos (heavy chest, gloves/belt light, and the rest can be light or 1 medium piece if you're not wearing medium anywhere else on your body. All in training if grinding for XP or divines), Armor of the Seducer or Magnus' Gift head, shoulder, and staves (light with 1 medium piece if you are not already wearing 1 medium Julianos piece. All in training or divines. The staves should be training or infused), and 3 purple Willpower Jewelry with Arcane trait (can be bought from trading guilds for relatively cheap.
      • Check tamrieltradecentre.com for the best deals if you're not using a price checking addon).
      Race
      https://media.giphy.com/media/sdEkeWpiaGz0A/giphy.gif
      • High elf, since you will not have issues with sustain, but other mag based races are also fine so this is more of a personal choice.
      Mundus Stones
      https://media.giphy.com/media/cT3wMhLGQWdKU/giphy.gif
      • PvP: The Lover for penetration when playing a sorc or temp.
      • PvE Healing/Damage: The Thief for decent crit rate.
      • PvE Tanking: The Lady to get close to resistance cap.
      Current Champion Points
      https://media.giphy.com/media/l4FGDAx6u3hthMhgI/giphy.gif
      • DPS Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Exploiter, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Thaumaturge, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
      • Healer Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Hope Infusion, Weapon's Expert, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
      • Tanky Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Ironclad, Enduring Resolve, Reinforced, Duelist's Rebuff, Bastion, Ward Master, Rejuvenation, Fortified.
      • PvP Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, Occult Overload, Arcane Supremacy, Bastion, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
      • PvE Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Fighting Finesse, Master-at-Arms, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
      • PvP Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, From the Brink, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
      Favorite Foods and Potions
      https://media.giphy.com/media/3otPoTggaYFNd1FdAI/giphy.gif
      • Parse Food for PvE:(DPS) Ghastly Eye Bowl (increases Max Magicka by 4592 and Magicka Recovery by 459 for 2 hours).
      • Gold/Purple Food for Sorc PvP and Meme Tanking:(PvP) Clockwork Citrus Filet (increases Max Health by 3326, Health Recovery by 406 [useful if stage 1 vampire], Max Magicka by 3080, and Magicka Recovery by 338 for 2 hours). Witchmother's Potent Brew (Increase Max Magicka by 2856, Max Health by 3094, and Magicka Recovery by 315 for 2 hours.
      • Trash Potions when feeling cheap: Regular CP150 Essence of Magicka pots that I obtain frequently from playing the game or Crown Tri-Restoration Potion obtained from dailies.
      • Crafted Potions: Essence of Spell Critical (Bugloss, Lady's Smock, and Water Hyacinth). Without magelight this is my primary means of obtaining Major Prophecy on my Sorc, which increases my Spell Critical Rating. This also heals and restores magicka. Essence of Immovability (Columbine, Corn Flower, and Wormwood). I use this in PvP, since this gives me stealth detection, knockback immunity, and restores magicka (better to use it when competent allies are nearby, since it might reveal that you are surrounded by multiple players in stealth and you will not have an emergency pot available after use). Essence of Invisibility with only 2 ingredients (Blue Entoloma, Namira's Rot, Nirnroot, or Spider Egg). I use this in PvE content that requires stealth and if I need more speed I'll use Rapid Maneuver before using the potion. Essence of Invisibility with 3 ingredients (Blessed Thistle, Blue Entoloma, and Namira's Rot). Very useful in PvP alongside the vampire Dark Stalker passive, since you'll be invisible, ignore movement speed penalty while in Crouch, and you'll have a 30% movement speed boost from Major Expedition (I always have this slotted when riding from point A to B in PvP land, since gankers are always lurking). My templar will mostly use Essence of Health (Tri-Stat Potion) Ingredients: (Mountain Flower, Columbine, and Bugloss).
    • Lumsdenml
      Lumsdenml
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Brakkish wrote: »
      Any prior years for me.

Keep in mind while reading, I'm listing these items as seen through the lense of a player who's played since 2014 and absolutely remembers population state then, watched it's continual decline through the years, and to its current state today.

Are you trying to say that the population at game launch was the high point, and it has been in a continual state of decline since then? There are always people who just throw out statements and people assume that they are true. Here are the population numbers from December (just picking a month, but it shows a trend) from steamchart. Now before you try to pick this apart with the argument "steam is just a small part of the overall population" I'll say I know that, but there are enough people on steam to accurately represent trends...

2014 - 843.5
      2015 - 3,271.0
      2016 - 9,664.4
      2017 - 11,648.3
      2018 - 12,020.5
      2019 - 12,472.2
      2020 - 17,804.6
      2021 - 17,003.8
      2022 - 14,037.7
      2023 - 12,263.1

Now, it has pulled back from 2020's December high, however, my guess is that whatever they have planned for the 10th anniversary, it will pull people back in...
      In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
      Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
      PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
      Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
      Obituary:
      RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
      RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
      RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
      RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
      RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
      RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
      RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
      RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
      RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
      RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP
    • TaSheen
      TaSheen
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Lumsdenml wrote: »
      Any prior years for me.

Are you trying to say that the population at game launch was the high point, and it has been in a continual state of decline since then? There are always people who just throw out statements and people assume that they are true. Here are the population numbers from December (just picking a month, but it shows a trend) from steamchart. Now before you try to pick this apart with the argument "steam is just a small part of the overall population" I'll say I know that, but there are enough people on steam to accurately represent trends...

2014 - 843.5
      2015 - 3,271.0
      2016 - 9,664.4
      2017 - 11,648.3
      2018 - 12,020.5
      2019 - 12,472.2
      2020 - 17,804.6
      2021 - 17,003.8
      2022 - 14,037.7
      2023 - 12,263.1

Now, it has pulled back from 2020's December high, however, my guess is that whatever they have planned for the 10th anniversary, it will pull people back in...

Eh, you have to consider covid and lockdowns in those 2020/2021 numbers, y'know?

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

• JoeCapricorn
      JoeCapricorn
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      It's a complicated answer, honestly.

2014 - the game was new, everything was new, every zone was new. I was new, and I got my butt kicked in Rivenspire at Vet-Rank 3. It was fun learning the game by grouping with people and hearing advice - stuff that nowadays is common sense, but back then I didn't know to pad my gear with item sets

2016 - One Tamriel. This update changed everything. The big problem with 2014 ESO is that once you get through a zone, you have no real reason to go back. The quests might be worth the XP, but eventually the mobs just don't drop anything for you. One Tamriel changed this, and it made going back into the vanilla zones rewarding again.

PVP-wise, I think I had the most fun around the 2015-2017 eras. I'm not saying those were the best years for PVP (it's always had its issues) but it was far more fun with 24-people groups.

But ultimately, all of the features and play-styles and options and things to do have built up over time, and if I were to rewind the clock, there will always be something that I feel is missing. I'm so used to 2023/2024 ESO now... and I find that my drive to play is still just as strong. I may need to take breaks, pull back from the game for a bit and only do endeavors daily, but that helps me keep away from burnout.
      I simp for vampire lords and Glemyos Wildhorn
    • Lags
      Lags
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Lumsdenml wrote: »
      Any prior years for me.

2014 - 843.5
      2015 - 3,271.0
      2016 - 9,664.4
      2017 - 11,648.3
      2018 - 12,020.5
      2019 - 12,472.2
      2020 - 17,804.6
      2021 - 17,003.8
      2022 - 14,037.7
      2023 - 12,263.1

people can link steam charts all they want, it doesnt matter. The game doesn't feel as populated as it once did, and steam charts are a small amount of the games players, considering many people dont use it and a ton of people on console.

If you were here back then, fantastic. If you were not, oh well. In one tamriel, morrowind, or really any time before around 2020 i could go to any capitol city and see dozens of people dueling, countless people in chat trading or LFG for dungeons or dailies. I could go to the gold coast or hews bane or any older dlc zone and see people around doing stuff. At various points in time you would see so many people in craglorn it would sometimes be laggy.

We had multiple pvp campaign's each populated. The no cp campaign was always full. The under lv 50 campaign was always full. Even when we had BGs. You could go to imperial city and it was populated and fun.

I just dont see the population. Even on the steam charts its on a a solid decline. But all those steam charts have ever said to me is that more newer players get the game on steam than through the eso website or whatever. The games population today feels terrible compared to the past.

You can take into account that the game is bigger. That will always play a small part. But I just think population is decreasing at an unfortunate rate, for various reasons. And many vet players are being replaced by a revolving door of new/casual players. Its been happening in pvp for a long time. The under lv 50 camp is dead, and has been for years. Same with no CP. Imperial city is a ghost town, besides the regulars and the zergs that decide to plow through while waiting for a que, or to farm 2 stones off every boss they kill. Captiol cities are also nothing like they used to be, but mainly its the people dueling. Sure in wayrest there will be some, but anywhere else not so much most of the time.

And i think all of this is a result of many things. Some things are not zos' fault, and others are. Most are, to be fair. When you chase away veteran players, it hurts the game. Catering to a revolving door of causal players hurts the game. A lack of incentive and in game rewards, in all zones, across the board, hurts the game. Terrible performance declining over the years. Same old issues and the same old game plan every year. Too many useless sets, although they have toned it down slightly now.

If they just added in better rewards, fixed performance, and shook things up a bit, i feel like many people would come back to the game, and many would have a reason to stay. But they have shown they cannot fix performance, they refuse to add a reasonable amount of better rewards through the whole game( besides slightly better rewards in the 2 recent dlcs), and im not sure they know how to do things different. So here we are.
      Edited by Lags on January 4, 2024 1:00AM
    • ssewallb14_ESO
      ssewallb14_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      U34 overall. Just needed a couple obvious outlier tweaks.

Thieve's Guild was peak PvP.
    • TaSheen
      TaSheen
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Game feels far more populated to me lately, both PC NA and EU. And I don't even play PC NA on peak. Vivec is so busy I have to go somewhere else to craft daily writs to get AWAY from people. And the event - I can't even see Breda's reticle most of the time until I do some "maneuvering". No matter where I go in the world (outside of some of the really wierd areas in Coldharbour) there are people everywhere. Even in Murkmire....

Yes I'm aware of the instancing "phenomenon" - but my reality is that no matter where I go on which server, there are WAY more people around than I'm interested in dealing with....

• DirtyDeeds765
      DirtyDeeds765
      ✭✭✭✭
      ESO is always going be the best, overall, present day due to the piling up of content and great QOL improvements.

@DirtyDeeds765
      Edited by DirtyDeeds765 on January 4, 2024 2:18AM