Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Racial Envy.

• Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a Bosmer Sorcerer and don't feel any less by not having the magical attuned racial perks. I'm quite fond of the Archery morphed skills of Scatter Shot and Arrow Spray for stamina-based CC. The Archery racial opens these CC options early while leveling. The knockback is a nice boon to interrupt melee special moves by pushing the effect out of range from you. It helps also mitigate the Magicka costs to be towards damaging adversaries verse other CC options.

This is all theory craft. The Resist Affliction is a nice perk, in combination, to passives of light armor to build resists levels. The other racial perks compliment stamina-based weapon choices and stealth, so it's plausible to lean towards being a "Stealth Mage."

These are my reasons why I chose to be a Bosmer, which meets my play style.
  • The_Sadist
    The_Sadist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've long since came to terms with my racials and am quite happy with my Sorcerer... but I still hope that they get a sneak buff, probably not but eh!
    "Each event is preceded by Prophecy. But without the hero, there is no Event." ― Zurin Arctus, the Underking.
    Tragrim - How do I work this thing?
    Casually stalking the forums
  • bantad87
    bantad87
    ✭✭✭
    While I certainly understand the OPs frustration, I like the idea of racials and giving everyone a flavor. Lore-wise, the Dunmer are not gifted with magicka. They're the most well-rounded race, decent with magicka, powerful warriors and good stealthy elvishness. They shouldn't be as powerful mages as Altmer, and the Bretons aren't so much magically inclined as they are naturally resistant because of their Meric blood.

Try using your Dunmer as a more hybrid character, it plays more to their strengths (and also plays more effectively into the games mechanics, this game rewards versatility, not specializing per se).

• The_Sadist
    The_Sadist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bantad87 wrote: »
    While I certainly understand the OPs frustration, I like the idea of racials and giving everyone a flavor. Lore-wise, the Dunmer are not gifted with magicka. They're the most well-rounded race, decent with magicka, powerful warriors and good stealthy elvishness. They shouldn't be as powerful mages as Altmer, and the Bretons aren't so much magically inclined as they are naturally resistant because of their Meric blood.

Try using your Dunmer as a more hybrid character, it plays more to their strengths (and also plays more effectively into the games mechanics, this game rewards versatility, not specializing per se).

Lore-wise the Dunmer ARE gifted with magicka, have you not seen house Telvanni, the wise women of the tribal clans and the fact they spent time with the Altmer before leaving and getting all cursed (which if they were anything like the Breton would mean they probably would have shared a bed or two). Their racials suggest that they are battlemages by nature with an affinity for fire (9% magicka, 6% fire damage increase / fire resistance)
    The Breton's racials make them very magically inclined, 1% more magicka and -3% spell cost seems pretty gifted to me.. the spell resistance racial is their only real defensive racial, outside of their light armour affinity of course.

I plan on using some stamina based spells come endgame but like I said previously, I would love if they fused flame resistance and flame talent together for + fire damage / resistance, renamed it flame affinity and made a new racial with the +1/2/3% magicka and a new battlemage racial, it could even be stamina orientated.

I guess half the issue is I picked the name Divayth Fyr for my Sorcerer who you may of head of.
    Edited by The_Sadist on April 6, 2014 11:10PM
    "Each event is preceded by Prophecy. But without the hero, there is no Event." ― Zurin Arctus, the Underking.
  • Xithian
    Xithian
    ✭✭✭
    No mention of us Khajiit? Increased crit and stealth... while the stealth may be situational the crit is invaluable to any melee.

Take a stroll through the racials and look at which ones will be softcapped. After you knock out all of those, look at what's left and you will have a good idea of which races are more suited to what.
  • The_Sadist
    The_Sadist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xithian wrote: »
    No mention of us Khajiit? Increased crit and stealth... while the stealth may be situational the crit is invaluable to any melee.

Take a stroll through the racials and look at which ones will be softcapped. After you knock out all of those, look at what's left and you will have a good idea of which races are more suited to what.

The Khajiit have always been a stealthy sort of race which deals decent physical damage, granted that's not really true with ESO but whatevers. It has never been a class I played just because I don't really want to be a cat person who refers to themselves in the third person!

Indeed, the Altmer don't get a cap, 9% regen in combat seems pretty unique (I don't understand how it fits in with the natural regen), the 4% shock/fire/frost damage also appears to be a pretty solid and versatile racial and lastly the 10% extra magicka is good, it's just a % bonus on top of your existing magicka so it technically can't be capped.
    The Dunmer have similar racials, 9% max magicka 6% max stamina, 6% fire damage and the only really capable one would be the fire resistance, which is situational at best.
    Edited by The_Sadist on April 7, 2014 9:55PM
  • ksaggies04ub17_ESO2
    To each his own, but for me, I'll notice the look of the character more than I will the racials.

Besides Dunmer are pretty strong casters with the magicka bonus. That'll give you some flexibility on enchants to throw some extra health in there.
  • The_Sadist
    The_Sadist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To each his own, but for me, I'll notice the look of the character more than I will the racials.

Besides Dunmer are pretty strong casters with the magicka bonus. That'll give you some flexibility on enchants to throw some extra health in there.

I'm the same, sort of. I selected the Dunmer race purely for lore reasons.. However I'm a big fan of the Altmer as well so it was pretty tough to decided. I ended up sticking with the Dunmer but once in a while I just think about the racials, cringe and get over it.

Indeed, the magicka bonus is pretty on par with the Breton / Altmer, the issue, my issue, is more the lack of a bonus racial e.g. The Breton get reduced spell costs and the Altmer get 9% more magicka regeneration in combat. The Dunmer, however, gets 6% more Stamina which is good if you're low on Magicka I suppose!
  • ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I totally have re-rollitis. I keep making different characters.
    Want to become Vampire? 5k @ZiRM in game.
    ESO Server Status. ( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ ) SkåL!!!!!
  • Jadeviper1974
    Jadeviper1974
    ✭✭✭
    Well in past ES games, Altmer and Breton have always been the two "magicka-attuned" races. Dunmer never had any magicka-related racial abilities.

To be honest the bonuses are small and really don't matter in the long run. I'm playing an Argonian Templar, useless racials be damned. In fact I feel a bit "freer" than I did as a Breton in beta, without decent racials to confound me as to where my skill points should go.

In Skyrim at least Dunmur had an affinity for destruction magic.
    What is written above are my honest opinions. If you agree then; "Great!" If you disagree; "Great!" I really couldn't care less either way.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My argonian templar is magicka regen capped... racial would only hasten that...
  • The_Sadist
    The_Sadist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NiRN wrote: »
    I totally have re-rollitis. I keep making different characters.

I normally have the same issue but I've been sticking with a Sorcerer, once I hit vet rank 1 I might re-roll and level to vet rank 1 all over again :P!
    My argonian templar is magicka regen capped... racial would only hasten that...

Fair enough I'm also at the regeneration cap.. I guess my Dunmer only loses 1% magicka and 4% shock / frost damage. The 4% shock damage is about 60ish damage on Mage's Fury, which isn't something to be laughed at!

Having a selection of racials per class would have been wicked.. but I'm comfortable enough now, so eh.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All of you who keep saying the racials don't matter that much... you are plain wrong.

Yes, playing the race you enjoy should be viable. And it is, just like every other game... If you don't care about character performance.

In other games like WoW, the racials were a min/max kind of thing. 1% crit, 5% pet damage, 1% damage with bows, etc. Those bonuses are small.

In ESO, racials are not small. I don't understand where you people are getting your math from, but 10% max magicka, and 9% magicka regen is NOT small. That is a ton of stat bonuses, that basically makes the race mandatory for a magicka using character. I play an Imperial, so even though i don't have any magicka bonuses, I at least get a nice health boost, and a minor increase to my stamina so I can dodge more or whatever. But what about Khajiit? Bosmer, Argonian, Redguard, Orc? Most races don't even have the option to play as a magicka user, (Again, if you want to be efficient with your character).

The bottom line is, yes, you can play as any role with any race. But racials are VERY imbalanced currently. This isn't min/maxing, it is plain math.
  • Yelgis
    Yelgis
    ✭✭✭
    Softcaps destroy your arguement STX. Altmer get a magicka bonus that is true, but all that means is they will hit the magicka softcap faster.

My Khajit is a full magicka NB and is well past the vap with food at VR2.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yelgis wrote: »
    Softcaps destroy your arguement STX. Altmer get a magicka bonus that is true, but all that means is they will hit the magicka softcap faster.

My Khajit is a full magicka NB and is well past the vap with food at VR2.

Uh, no soft caps do not change anything. All the stat budget you are spending on magicka on your cat, the Altmer can spend elsewhere because he has that racial boost.

So either he will have more health than you, more spell power, more crit %, more crit damage. And because he has 9% more magicka regen from racials, he can use his ring enchants on other things like spell power, reduced cost, etc.

• Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Im hitting soft cap in regen just from armor passives that Id be taking anyway.

Skill points are a nonissue.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well , while im affected by this , since i cant possibly pick a race that is bad for the way i want to play a class , i can understand this is something normal to the ES franchise.

I actually managed to make a nord rogue in skyrim :P , but there is noway im doing something like that in a MMO hehe , here im going min/max.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Nugeneration
    Stx you realize soft caps are super easy to hit around the board with vr10 gear, right? Racials that increase regen or stat % are pretty well null and void at that point.

You get your regeneration/magic cap through racials I get mine soft capped through light armor. How it's done is irrelevant.

Classes with favoured racials will cap quicker, but that is all. Anything before full vr10 is pointless to compare.

Edited by Nugeneration on April 14, 2014 9:19AM
  • Stautmeister
    Stautmeister
    ✭✭✭
    Dunmer bow/firestaf pyromancer dk master race ;)
    An orc marrying a wood elf?! Enjoy your Borsimer mutants!
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stx you realize soft caps are super easy to hit around the board with vr10 gear, right? Racials that increase regen or stat % are pretty well null and void at that point.

You get your regeneration/magic cap through racials I get mine soft capped through light armor. How it's done is irrelevant.

Classes with favoured racials will cap quicker, but that is all. Anything before full vr10 is pointless to compare.

You apparently didn't understand anything I said. You get your regen from light armor? Cool. My altmer will swap out some of his light armor for heavy, granting him more health regen, more armor, spell resists, healing, etc.

Unless you are telling me that without racial passives, you can soft cap health, magicka, stamina, armor, spell resist, crit chance, crit damage, magicka regen, and spell cost reduction at VR10. Is that what you are saying?

No, no you cant. And that is why a character with racials that support their build will always have a distinct advantage over someone with useless racials for their build, they can spend less stat budget on whatever their racial gives, and allocate that budget to something else useful.

• Dekkameron
    Dekkameron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of my characters are either Dunmer or Orsimer and playing every conceivable class/weapon combo, so you can prolly see that i don't particulary care about racial abilities too much.
    - Veteran Combat Librarian -
  • Nugeneration
    No at vr10 gear racials account for generally one ring enchant (for main stat). That one ring enchant means very little. If you min/max with racials and take what extra stats you have in health over someone with nonfavorable racials you get the comfort of about one, maybe two extra hits before you die. Advantages like that are hardly game breaking sure to soft caps.

That's cool you take extra skill points in heavy armor, heavy armor does what for damage advantage again? 5 heavy armor pieces if you're tanking is all you need to hit caps for tanking anyways (some builds are using medium armor to tank VR content currently due to how soft cap works). If you're dps you can just use a class ability or unstoppable to hit armor soft caps, actually putting you ahead stat wise in your scenario example.

With around 300 skill points in this game there well be very few instances where most of the passives are not taken. The only difference you'll see in skill points will in class/weapon skills for min/max players.
    Edited by Nugeneration on April 15, 2014 5:20AM
  • The_Sadist
    The_Sadist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well the racials half got to me in the end.. turned my vet rank 2 Sorcerer into my crafter (inevitable really) and made an Altmer Sorcerer which I plan on turning into a vampire (that fire weakness) so ultimately a Dunmer may have been a better option this time around.
  • Skarzog
    Skarzog
    I went Bosmer NB and am seriously regretting not going Imperial or Runeguard. Having only a 3% stamina increase vs 10% some other races get becomes quite noticeable later on. Sure its easy to hit the caps, but that's stat allocation wasted on poison resist that could have been thrown into health instead.

I am fine with racials, I think the increase experience gain with certain weapons is a good way to do it. But I am against players being able to make a mistake at the character creation screen that they might come to regret dozens of hours later upon reaching the elder game.
  • The_Sadist
    The_Sadist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Redguards and Imperials seem to be the go to for a melee based NB.. I'm still on the fence about which to go. Kahjiit are also look an option.

I don't regret going Dunmer, but I'm glad I made an Altmer. I even have a Breton sitting down waiting to be levelled.. good times.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There are a few points i would like to make here. Firstly, for your telvanni have you considered going vampire?

Secondly, chimer were in fact altmer who joined veloth on the pilgrimage to morrowind. The difference in that era was spiritual (daedric) and philosophical.

Also to call dunmer savages or primitive is preposterous and shows a lack of understanding abouy their race. Indeed dunmer consider themselves the most civil of races on nirn (perhaps annoyingly so). I do not consider the northern tribes uncivil either, they were simply outcasts living on the fringes of society who maintained their velothi principles despite what almsivi had done in the red mountain. That being said i think if any magical bonus should be given to the dunmer it should be in the fields of conjuring/daedra, and even moreso fire.

I find dunmer both intriguing and repulsive. I myself have a telvanni, though i chose to go sorceror. This primarily because of the telvanni, velothi, and almsivi priestly tradition of toying with the daedric. I chose to name my telvanni reloth fyr. In large part because i found him to be the mostllikable if alien sort of fellow, and i supposed that one of his relatives might share those qualities.

A telvanni could very easily be nightblade or dragonknight. Nightbladesummons shades, absorbs enemy energies and creeps in the shadows... Conjuror/illusionist type of style. Dk is your destruction/alteration mage, with some nice red mountain ash type things. I will admit i was a little sad that sorceror has no fire, but then again, you cant fling frost at all from your hands with any class or weapon. I find that lack of frost more sad for those wanting to play a nord frost mage.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dunmer racials are amazing. The fire damage affects ALL fire now at this point, thanks to me and a few others who made a stink about this in the closed Beta.

The Fire Resistance is great. This basically enables you to get Vampirism without the biggest down side (Flame Damage) and no need to enchant jewelry. That's how you get 10% more magicka regen. Alternatively, you can not be a vamp and just enjoy laughing at fire bosses in PvE and DKs in PvP.

You also get a 6% increase to max magicka since the fire resist passive adds 2% on top of Dynamic.

And the extra Stamina doesn't hurt even if you're not a Battle Mage. Every one needs to block and more stamina means more blocking.

@NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • Nickdorlandb16_ESO
    Nickdorlandb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Well in past ES games, Altmer and Breton have always been the two "magicka-attuned" races. Dunmer never had any magicka-related racial abilities.

To be honest the bonuses are small and really don't matter in the long run. I'm playing an Argonian Templar, useless racials be damned. In fact I feel a bit "freer" than I did as a Breton in beta, without decent racials to confound me as to where my skill points should go.

No 300 spellresistance, the 10% more mana, and reduction of skills dont help at all as a breton -_-" Especially if you are a magicka user
    Edited by Nickdorlandb16_ESO on April 29, 2014 11:30PM
  • The_Sadist
    The_Sadist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NordJitsu wrote: »
    Dunmer racials are amazing. The fire damage affects ALL fire now at this point, thanks to me and a few others who made a stink about this in the closed Beta.

The Fire Resistance is great. This basically enables you to get Vampirism without the biggest down side (Flame Damage) and no need to enchant jewelry. That's how you get 10% more magicka regen. Alternatively, you can not be a vamp and just enjoy laughing at fire bosses in PvE and DKs in PvP.

You also get a 6% increase to max magicka since the fire resist passive adds 2% on top of Dynamic.

And the extra Stamina doesn't hurt even if you're not a Battle Mage. Every one needs to block and more stamina means more blocking.

I'm aware regarding the fire damage and planned on building my sorcerer around it, the 7% increase is pretty handy. Eh, thank you I suppose?

Agreed, for a vampire based character it is a handy thing to have and between my Altmer vampire and my Dunmer crafter I sort of want to go Dunmer again.. but I'll stick with Altmer for now.

9% more increase to magicka.

And it's handy for the fighter guild spells which are surprisingly handy.
    big quote is big

Given the name of my character I don't think it's appropriate to go vampire.. but I was tempted.

Eh, thanks for the history lesson? I often read lore in my spare time.

Who is Reloth? Did you mean Neloth? I have the name Neloth reserved currently for my future DK.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Reloth is my character. I did not want to use an npc name for two reasons. One, i like to make something unique. Two, i would not like encountering an npc version of myself in game. It would make me feel schizophrenic. That being said, divath cloned his wife daughters, who is to say he did not also zerox himself to get the best apprentices and to make the work go faster. I can understand being torn about going vampire as a telvanni.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>