Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Please stop adding achievements and leads to tales of tribute

• allochthons
    allochthons
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a matter of preference though. I prefer playing ToT to running trials. A bad drop rate is not unique to ToT. Only in West Weald the leads seem to be showing up on the first/second try (except the one from the daily coffers). Before that, one could have spent countless times tying to get the lead that was needed.
    Trust me, I know. I still can hardly look at Falkreath Hold after running it for weeks trying to get the Crimson Diamond lead.
    But the gear I got (Pillar of Nirn!), and the experience I got, benefited me in the rest of the game.

However, that was then. NOW (and hopefully going forward) the lead drop rates seem to be much more reasonable.

But that ToT lead drop rate is still abysmal. And I don't learn anything from ToT that helps me elsewhere in the game. I get mats, sure. But I have 1000+ tel var saved in nirnhoned daggers on a bank toon. I don't need the mats.
    Granted, plenty of folks do need, or like to sell, the mats. But it's not the same benefit.
    She/They
    PS5/NA
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this ship sailed already since they also recently added a lead to a HoF that is required for completing the West Weald. So, in the future we can expect leads to show up in a bunch of unrelated places (and not all of us are going to like them).
    The difference here is that the HoF lead drop is near, if not 100%. As is the one in Volenfell. 1 nHoF through the group finder isn't as bad as 100+ games of ToT.

I played ToT when it came out. Liked it fine. Not my fave, but a decent way to spend a bit of empty time. Then I had to take a break from the game, and when I came back, there were so many new decks that almost everything I'd learned before was useless. And I look at the new decks now, and I just get tired. I am an achievement hunter, but I'll never get that music box.

This is why I think the drop rates for such things should be really high. This way it encourages people to step out of their comfort zones and try new things. If they like it, fantastic. More people having fun. If they don't? Well, at least it didn't last long. Maybe not guaranteed, since some things have learning curves or impacted by the players you're interacting with too. But, it certainly shouldn't take a really long time on average.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on July 11, 2024 12:18AM
  • allochthons
    allochthons
    ✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    This is why I think the drop rates for such things should be really high. This way it encourages people to step out of their comfort zones and try new things. If they like it, fantastic. More people having fun. If they don't? Well, at least it didn't last long.
    For most things, I'd agree. For this, it doesn't matter.
    If I could get the lead from non-ranked games, not even NPCs, but friends, I'd do it. But the lead only comes from Ranked purses. Maybe even Ranked Victor purses? With 12 decks to learn? Maybe for a mythic as important as Oakensoul or Velothi. Maybe. But probably not. A music box? Not a chance.

Even when there were only 6 decks, and I played most days, I never won ranked matches. Or only did if the person on the other side was clearly completely new. But I'm on console, and there have never (to my knowledge) been that many ToT players on PS/NA to start with, and on console, you can't chat with your opponent.

ETA: That is simply waaaaay too much time and effort to ask us to invest, for paltry rewards.
    Edited by allochthons on July 11, 2024 12:42AM
    She/They
    PS5/NA
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ETA: That is simply waaaaay too much time and effort to ask us to invest, for paltry rewards.

It is not only victory purses. And a high drop rate would mean like an hour of time, maybe. Some matches are like 10-15 minutes. That's less time than dungeons and trials. Why would you need to learn 12 decks to get a high drop chance reward, win or lose?

Edited by spartaxoxo on July 11, 2024 12:45AM
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is why I think the drop rates for such things should be really high. This way it encourages people to step out of their comfort zones and try new things. If they like it, fantastic. More people having fun. If they don't? Well, at least it didn't last long.
    If I could get the lead from non-ranked games, not even NPCs, but friends, I'd do it. But the lead only comes from Ranked purses. Maybe even Ranked Victor purses? With 12 decks to learn? Maybe for a mythic as important as Oakensoul or Velothi. Maybe. But probably not. A music box? Not a chance.

Even when there were only 6 decks, and I played most days, I never won ranked matches. Or only did if the person on the other side was clearly completely new. But I'm on console, and there have never (to my knowledge) been that many ToT players on PS/NA to start with, and on console, you can't chat with your opponent.

I'm pretty confident that the lead does not come only from ranked. You can play casual against other players.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty confident that the lead does not come only from ranked. You can play casual against other players.

Correct. There's no difference to the boxes afaik. But it's been a while since I paid any attention.
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No way am I going to ruin my enjoyment of ToT for a lead. I don't PVP, not in combat not certainly not in the in game thing I use to relax!

Nope, what it may be I don't need it that much.

PS5/NA
  • allochthons
    allochthons
    ✭✭✭✭
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Telvanni_Peninsula_Antiquities says
    > Ranked Tribute Victor's purse
    This is the one I was obviously going off of.

OTOH https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Music_Box,_Glyphic_Secrets says:
    > Tales of Tribute daily quest reward and mailed rewards for individual match wins
    which seems to be the accurate one, according to everyone here.
    But I no longer GAF, because it came up in the IA vendor, and I bought it there.

She/They
    PS5/NA
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't wanna do the effort thing then you don't get the reward thing. And this is from someone who doesn't really enjoy the card game. Either I make peace with not having certain things, or if it's something that I want then I put up with doing the content for it (and keep in mind they've placed a lead behind the end of DSA, it doesn't get much more brutal than that). Having said that, I'm all for increasing drop chances for leads across the board.
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you obtain this lead? Do you need to win against other players for the leads to drop? If so this is a strict no. no. no. NOOOO!

If it is dropping for matches wins against any or a number of npc it is ok.
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I forgot to mention: It is really a no go to hide leads behind PvP activities. For some people PvP is really a stressful activity creating a lot of discomfort. To force people to PvP for completing an antiquity multipart item is a definite no go.

And ToT is PvP and can create a lot of stress for some people who really dislike direct competition.

To have a dispensable antiquity item (like some golden or purple furniture items) as a lead as part of PvP may be debatable. It may be debatable to hide all leads for a multi-part antiquity item in PvP activities. But to hide some leads of a multipart item in PvP activity is a definite NO GO.

• SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I know, any special items that drop from ToT (leads, mementos, etc.) can be obtained by playing against the NPCs; you do not need to compete against other players.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    As far as I know, any special items that drop from ToT (leads, mementos, etc.) can be obtained by playing against the NPCs; you do not need to compete against other players.

That's correct.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I forgot to mention: It is really a no go to hide leads behind PvP activities. For some people PvP is really a stressful activity creating a lot of discomfort. To force people to PvP for completing an antiquity multipart item is a definite no go.

And some people find PvE frustrating and try to do as little of it as possible. If someone doesn't like an activity or is not comfortable doing it, they shouldn't do the activity. All the different types of customers deserve to be treated equally. This means leads, achievements, rewards, etc. should be part of all activities. And it up to players to go for the ones they enjoy and are comfortable doing.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on August 24, 2024 8:14PM
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And some people find PvE frustrating and try to do as little of it as possible. If someone doesn't like an activity or is not comfortable doing it, they shouldn't do the activity. All the different types of customers deserve to be treated equally. This means leads, achievements, rewards, etc. should be part of all activities. And it up to players to go for the ones they enjoy and are comfortable doing.

Please read my post completely.

My grudge is against placing leads for a multipart item across both PvE and PvP activity.

Either place all leads in PvP OR all leads in PvE activity so to avoid exactly what you complain about too: As a PvPler who wants to complete that multipart item you would not be forced to play PvE to complete it. As a PvEler who wants to complete that multipart item you would not be forced to play PvP to complete it.
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

Thanks, mate, that is good to hear.

Yesterday I lost basically ALL my ToT matches against other players and that frustrated the hell out of me. I know why I actually abandoned ToT. Too high stress level.
    Edited by AnduinTryggva on August 25, 2024 8:49AM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So they finally added stuff useful in the rest of the game to ToT? I guess I will never get those.

Not only is the game a hard thing to figure out (at least for some of us) it is a LONG PAIN to finish even a single game.

I did the first quest once (I think) on my 4 platforms and tried a few basic games, found it sucked, and gave up on it.

It really bothers me that ZOS doesn't give me (an intense casual player) the many quality of life things I would want, but continues to force other things on me.

Yeah, I know I am not "forced" to do anything for the purists, but hiding things behind ToT (and now IA I believe) is worse that "forcing" PvP on people.

Yet it is still a pain to gather the surveys I earned but don't want to spend hours collecting. I really wish ZOS valued its playerbase more.
    PC
    PS4/PS5