Maintenance for the week of September 9:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 9

Crux gave me mild motion sickness

Aztrias
Aztrias
✭✭✭✭✭
The crux actually made me feel slightly nauseous,
this have never happened to me in a game before but it's hard to take the eyes of those bright green floating pyramids :s:o
Welcome Moon-and-Star to this place where destiny is made

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/498360/r-i-p-pc-eu/p1
Nerevar forget!
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They should keep track of crux in a different way. No reason other players need to know how much crux we have at any given time. It's just unnecessary and obnoxious animation as it is now.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They should keep track of crux in a different way. No reason other players need to know how much crux we have at any given time. It's just unnecessary and obnoxious animation as it is now.

They actually mentioned specifically during a live stream that they think other players should be able to see the crux so they know to expect the arcanist will hit harder at those times.

I wish they had found a way to signal that to the arcanist and those around them in a way that doesn't involve inducing motion sickness.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You gotta admit though. An enemy that gets ill from their own powers would be a hilarious character.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Hey all, thanks for bringing this to our attention. We have passed this on to the dev team and they are investigating possible ways to address this issue of motion sickness. We'll update once we know more.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • alternatelder
    alternatelder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great, can't wait... I never tried Arcanist on pts, kept seeing these motion sickness and potential seizure inducing skills from it, and they still do nothing about it?
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The crux and also the Runespite Ward are both pretty nauseating in 1st person
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
  • Dovahkiin02191973
    Dovahkiin02191973
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah - Some people a very small percentage could have an epileptic type seizure from moving light patterns even if they don't have epilepsy or never had a seizure before. Hopefully that won't happen to anyone. My eyes are photosensitive and can only take the Arcanist visuals for short periods of time. When the double vision starts to set in I know it is time for a break. What I am starting to see that is a really awesome turnaround is communication going on between ZOS and the players. I hope it continues. :)
  • Sheridan
    Sheridan
    ✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    You gotta admit though. An enemy that gets ill from their own powers would be a hilarious character.

Dark Elf Sorcerers from Warhammer Online come to mind.
  • antr1x
    antr1x
    virtus753 wrote: »

They actually mentioned specifically during a live stream that they think other players should be able to see the crux so they know to expect the arcanist will hit harder at those times.

Is this a joke? No, seriously? Then I suggest a super cool QoL innovation - mandatory voice chat in PvP. Also, prohibit attacking another player without warning them about the exact ability we're going to use right now. Everything should look something like this:
    "Buddy, I'm going to use ability_name now! Are you ready? No? Excuse me, please, I'll wait. Ready now? Attacking! BOOM! How are you, buddy? Did I take too much HP off you? Pard me again, I'll recover some mana by hitting you with a staff, do you mind?", and so on.

I think this would be fair to everyone. And those who attack a player without warning and providing a complete list of his buffs - first ban for 1 hour, then for 2, then for 4 and each time double the ban duration for each violation of this rule.

Or even completely forbid attacking a player on the battlefield if they are against it. Also, ZoS could utilize the entire team that is engaged in bug fixes and improvements of the game engine in PvP moderation, they aren't particularly busy with anything else anyway.

Dear moderators - this is sarcasm. A joke. But in every joke, there is only a fraction of joke ;)
    Edited by antr1x on June 5, 2023 7:14PM
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, I was just about to ask for advice... those green crux triangles constantly flying around you are absolutely annoying!!!

Edit: And it really makes me dizzy after only 5 minutes (I'm playing in 1st person view)... I would love to play the new class now, was waiting all day for that, but I cant stand these crux triangles.
    Edited by Lugaldu on June 5, 2023 7:20PM
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Same happened to me when I was on the PTS but I didn't bother to report it as I thought it was only me and I had discovered there was no chance I would buy the chapter.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    antr1x wrote: »

Is this a joke? No, seriously? Then I suggest a super cool QoL innovation - mandatory voice chat in PvP. Also, prohibit attacking another player without warning them about the exact ability we're going to use right now. Everything should look something like this:
    "Buddy, I'm going to use ability_name now! Are you ready? No? Excuse me, please, I'll wait. Ready now? Attacking! BOOM! How are you, buddy? Did I take too much HP off you? Pard me again, I'll recover some mana by hitting you with a staff, do you mind?", and so on.

I think this would be fair to everyone. And those who attack a player without warning and providing a complete list of his buffs - first ban for 1 hour, then for 2, then for 4 and each time double the ban duration for each violation of this rule.

Or even completely forbid attacking a player on the battlefield if they are against it. Also, ZoS could utilize the entire team that is engaged in bug fixes and improvements of the game engine in PvP moderation, they aren't particularly busy with anything else anyway.

Dear moderators - this is sarcasm. A joke. But in every joke, there is only a fraction of joke ;)

But like, plenty of skills have very clear telegraphs that alert you to an impending attack.

Sorc Crystal Frags proc and the bound armaments visual and Chalks for Wardens are the first 3 the come to mind. Making a telegraph for a set of skills that can do a ton of damage isn't novel. It is kind of an expectation at this point.
  • antr1x
    antr1x
    jaws343 wrote: »

But like, plenty of skills have very clear telegraphs that alert you to an impending attack.

Sorc Crystal Frags proc and the bound armaments visual and Chalks for Wardens are the first 3 the come to mind. Making a telegraph for a set of skills that can do a ton of damage isn't novel. It is kind of an expectation at this point.

Yes, some skills visually "spoil" your actions to other players and give an indication of what to expect from you. But now, essentially, we're talking about a class's main mechanic, not just some skill.
  • merevie
    merevie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We asked for this a very long time ago in PTS. Many of us listed it as a reason we cannot buy the chapter. Flashing lights and movement are dangerous -there is an entire thread on health concerns.
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am not getting motion sickness, but... oh boy, is that effect ever so extremely obnoxious.
    Makes me wish I was playing a shovelplar instead.
  • LamiaCritter
    LamiaCritter
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I'd prefer if they.... IDK...
    didn't butcher and mangle visual effects??

I saw what they did to the Templar effects. I saw what they did to the duel wield stab ability. I pray to Oblivion and back they leave this /untouched/. I'm sorry but I'm just real tired of seeing the stuff I like constantly get changed and lessened. 'Who needs unique visuals? Here, have some generic AF pointless, flavor-less green sparks to show your crux, instead of anything cool and unique'.
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I saw what they did to the Templar effects. I saw what they did to the duel wield stab ability. I pray to Oblivion and back they leave this /untouched/. I'm sorry but I'm just real tired of seeing the stuff I like constantly get changed and lessened. 'Who needs unique visuals? Here, have some generic AF pointless, flavor-less green sparks to show your crux, instead of anything cool and unique'.

you care more about an ability having unique visuals than the fact that it causes motion sickness? yikes
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aw man, seeing as I get headaches and eyestrain from the Deadlands I won't be going near an arcanist until this gets sorted.
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
  • LamiaCritter
    LamiaCritter
    ✭✭✭
    LunaFlora wrote: »

you care more about an ability having unique visuals than the fact that it causes motion sickness? yikes

Not the intended message, but I can see how it came across like that... even though I think it's bizarre.
    I'm more just worried about what they would replace it with I guess, and frustratedly knee-jerked my reaction.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

The live stream where the devs discussed details of the class and Necrom. I’m sorry I don’t have a link, since I’m bad at finding twitch links after the stream. But surely I wasn’t the only one who saw it.

It was the same stream where they incorrectly said that Chroma Incognito should be Chroma Incognita, since they clearly don’t understand noun-adjective agreement in Greek and Latin.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LunaFlora wrote: »

Not the intended message, but I can see how it came across like that... even though I think it's bizarre.
    I'm more just worried about what they would replace it with I guess, and frustratedly knee-jerked my reaction.

They don't need to replace it with special visuals, they just need tor remove it. Other games deal with such things by having a fixed short bar that has a line that fills up as you accumulate the effect, and that would be fine.

I don't suffer from any medical reaction to these effects, although I respect the plight of those who do. I just dislike having it floating around me the whole time, but most of all I dislike the lack of an option to disable it.
  • alternatelder
    alternatelder
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish they had found a way to signal that to the arcanist and those around them in a way that doesn't involve inducing motion sickness.

That's just plain silly. We don't know when an player is about to ult us, there's no telegraph, why would we need this feature?
  • Wavek
    Wavek
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Hey all, thanks for bringing this to our attention. We have passed this on to the dev team and they are investigating possible ways to address this issue of motion sickness. We'll update once we know more.

How about disable the floating icons all together even in 3rd person? They are super annoying regardless of the motion sickness issue.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They don't give me motion sickness but they are irritating and distracting. It's like having a swarm of gnats buzzing around your face.
    Edited by SilverBride on June 5, 2023 10:10PM
    PCNA
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We have been bringing it up for months! Both motion sickness and headaches/eye pain.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that maybe the crux shouldn't rotate around the player, and the glow of the bright colors should be toned down so as to not cause eye strain. It would downgrade the visual effects for sure, but if it helps to make this class playable for some people while not removing an important telegraph, then that change should be made.

Most of the skills in this game (with a few overlooked exceptions) have slightly different appearances to telegraph to enemies which morphs are being cast. Since crux is used to augment and grant secondary effects to the abilities being cast by Arcanists, it is important to telegraph it to enemy players.

I personally do not want to fight against an Arcanist without knowing how much crux they have saved up, but I also don't want people to suffer from seeing these visual effects. I sincerely hope that the developers find a fair compromise.
    PC/NA — Lone Werewolf, the Templar Khajiit Werewolf

Werewolf Should be Allowed to Sneak
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion there has to be found a general solution for health-wise harmful, immersion breaking and otherwise undesired visuals caused by other players.
    Someone mentioned a "blacklist" which would allow each player to define what he needs excluded from sight. That idea is worth some consideration.

Some of us are healthwise affected by or simply can't stand visual/mount/pet X while for others it's a important part of their gaming experience. There (fortunately) isn't a clear answer to the question who is right and who is wrong, but technical solutions for this problem do indeed exist.
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The crux is one of the most annoying things that are in this chapter. The three floating triangles are enormously distracting especially before you know how to get rid of them.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We have been bringing it up for months! Both motion sickness and headaches/eye pain.

Better late than never, but I couldn't even get an answer on stream when they were specifically discussing their abilities. Not even a we'll pass that feedback along. I don't know if they just didn't see it or not. But, it was pretty disappointing how long this feedback was offered without reply.

Anyway, I'm glad to see it now and hope this issue is fixed sooner rather than later for the sake of affected players.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on June 6, 2023 1:08AM
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah that rotating light is really bad, need a way to turn that visual (or at least the rotation) off.